P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Sat in garden in coningsby..was one of the hottest places in uk yest and again today its reached 41c so bleeding hot. Outdoor pool swimming later on though phew

Apparently Coningsby now holds the highest temperature record for Britain recorded at 40.3C 

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2022-07-19/lincolnshire-registers-joint-hottest-ever-uk-temperature

25 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

We had distant thunder and some rain. Oh gosh, it was lovely - I went out into the back garden and got lovely and wet. Temps risen again tho.

Enjoy! We had the rain earlier in the day and it’s threatening again now. Hot but dark storm clouds.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

We peaked at 37 around 2-3pm. Currently 32. Its too hot!!

2 hours ago, Britboys said:

It peaked at 39⁰ here. The lower temperatures tomorrow will be very welcome 

We also hit 39.c and its now just 20:45pm and just falling to 30.c 

Going to be a warm night tonight .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Nice cool 18c down here now. Spent day working in St Ives and it's smelling smoky due to gorse fines  on the moors at Zennor and the breeze is blowing the smoke towards the town. 

Sad about the fires at Zennor, surprised nothings gone up on the moor this way (yet). Only takes an idiot with a cigarette butt to set it off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

We also hit 39.c and its now just 20:45pm and just falling to 30.c 

Going to be a warm night tonight .

Light rain and down to a cool 🙄 27⁰c now here at 1030pm...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brian1 said:

Went to the gym today it's out in the sticks a bit, in the same area as the big fires in Wennington.Bus and 1.5 mile walk.Just got home,no buses, extra 2 mile walk to next bus route.Just watching it on Sky news,I didn't know, it's like Armageddon.

I was watching it on Sky news too, those poor people, heartbreaking to loose your house like that.

Rain and thunder in the last hour here - like Avril I stood in it in the garden for a while! I’m still pretty hot and 27 expected tomorrow- still pretty warm!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I was watching it on Sky news too, those poor people, heartbreaking to loose your house like that.

Rain and thunder in the last hour here - like Avril I stood in it in the garden for a while! I’m still pretty hot and 27 expected tomorrow- still pretty warm!

What was worse,people lost their pets,it spread so quick.I could see the smoke but just assumed it was a grass fire.We have helicopters and planes scooping up sea water every day in Italy but it never gets to life threatening situations.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 2

Dystopian future looks the most likely scenario.

High of 30.1C in my living room yesterday. I found it very difficult to cope. I envy the neighbours which have a large aircon installation. It must be costing the earth in electricity. I am thinking of getting my bedroom air conditioned. Another neighbour had her bedroom fitted a few years ago but could not afford the leccie

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, davecttr said:

High of 30.1C in my living room yesterday. I found it very difficult to cope. I envy the neighbours which have a large aircon installation. It must be costing the earth in electricity. I am thinking of getting my bedroom air conditioned. Another neighbour had her bedroom fitted a few years ago but could not afford the leccie

Good choice of words Dave . :classic_smile: 

• Haha 2

Morning.

It’s still 28° in our lounge this morning. We live in a 3 storey house and the top floor has been unbearable, I ended up sleeping on the sofa last night. We have fans but are trying to use them sparingly due to the electricity bill.
Our garden backs onto a school field and we thought we could smell burning yesterday late afternoon, got a bit concerned, but peered through the school fence and couldn’t see anything untoward.

Let’s hope today is a fair bit cooler.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

No not, teed off at all. The last few days has been a salutary look into our not too distant future.

Indeed, but whatever we do here in the UK makes not one iota of difference. 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, davecttr said:

When I'm out in Spain and it gets really hot, I put the bedroom aircon unit on about 30 - 60 minutes before going to bed and then put it on timer to turn off about an hour after I go to bed. With windows shut, that then keeps it cool enough to sleep.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

No not, teed off at all. The last few days has been a salutary look into our not too distant future.

What you said reminds me of the prevailing attitude to the thing we can’t mention. ‘The problem is too big so instead of doing what we can, we won’t do anything at all’ 

That's a bit harsh, one can agree that we need to drive towards zero CO2 emissions, whilst still accepting that the UKs puny CO2 emissions are never going to save the world on their own.

• Like 10

Last night upstairs was far too warm, so we adapted our situation .

Mrs K was a bit wary when I said "we should sleep on the living room floor "

The living room had all windows/curtains closed and the highest temp had been 

around 21.c in there .

We laid out a duvet to lay on and a thin sheet should we want to cover ourselves and 

had a 35W fan running . We had a great nights sleep and should there be a next time

we will do the same again .

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, kalos said:

Last night upstairs was far too warm, so we adapted our situation .

Mrs K was a bit wary when I said "we should sleep on the living room floor "

The living room had all windows/curtains closed and the highest temp had been 

around 21.c in there .

We laid out a duvet to lay on and a thin sheet should we want to cover ourselves and 

had a 35W fan running . We had a great nights sleep and should there be a next time

we will do the same again .

I read that 80% of men die in bed, so statistically safer too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Apparently Coningsby now holds the highest temperature record for Britain recorded at 40.3C 

https://www.itv.com/news/calendar/2022-07-19/lincolnshire-registers-joint-hottest-ever-uk-temperature

yeah i can understand that, yest was hot and i have been to Iraq and Afghan a few times. The main difference is out there is the temp is constant so you acclimatize over two week period. but when in UK its all or nothing.......🤣

but now its around 28-29 and muggy and cloudy, need a good thunder storm. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, purplesea said:

Nice cool 18c down here now. Spent day working in St Ives and it's smelling smoky due to gorse fines  on the moors at Zennor and the breeze is blowing the smoke towards the town. 

A friend of mine works for Fire and Service, they have been on high alert for the last few weeks, there have numerous small fires at roadsides, picnic areas usually caused by carelessness of individuals either discarding cigarettes out of car window, discarded glass bottles, BBQs not being monitored. 

The local council recently did a litter pick along side one the main roads, the amount of discarded litter filled dozens of bags, plus many items too large to go in bags. 

Also if you have a compost heap, make sure it doesn’t get dry, as the heat generated can cause it to catch fire if too dry, especially those in plastic compost bins. The temperature in mine yesterday was 85C, it was damp however as I had watered it with a full watering can the night before, but I will be enduring it remains that way after hearing of a couple of the fires that occurred yesterday started in compost heaps. 

• Like 5

We’ve been out for a walk and coffee this morning to make the most of the fresher conditions. We went to Hempstead Valley, and it was only when we were walking home that I remembered that I was going to enquire in Boots about flu jabs. I’ll do it next time.

Now watching Sky News - the extent of the Wennington fires are breathtakingly awful. How can it be ignored for something fluffy and feel good? 

• Like 1