P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

11°C and sunny here but very windy.

Paulines friend sent this photo of the Northern Lights yesterday from Iceland.

IMG-20230216-WA0001.jpg

Pauline's friend was a lot luckier than we have been, we have been on 2 Northern Lights cruises and have still not seen the lights but we are thinking of trying again in the hope that it will be third time lucky.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Pauline's friend was a lot luckier than we have been, we have been on 2 Northern Lights cruises and have still not seen the lights but we are thinking of trying again in the hope that it will be third time lucky.

I can beat that.We did a 6 day Princess landtour of Aus and didn't see 1 bloody Kangaroo.Loads of camels,crocs and wallabies though.

• Haha 11

15 hours ago, bobstheboy said:

We all like money back, well I do. Just had an email from Nationwide, from now until 30 April they are giving 5% cashback on purchases in several stores, including,Tesco, Iceland and Aldi. Some exceptions, namely petrol and limited to £10 per month on each debit card. Joint account holders can get £10 each by using their individual cards. Money into your account no claiming required.

Thanks - I was using this but assumed it was £10 per account, not card. 

I worked in London yesterday and had no idea of the problems caused by Storm Otto. When I got to Kings Cross for the journey home it was immediately obvious that there were problems with lots of Northern bound trains delayed. My 17:33 service to Leeds was displayed on the departure boards as "Not arrived yet. Boarding shortly" which is a contradiction in itself.

Just before 6pm a new service to Doncaster appeared on the departure boards (which is not a regular service as I make this trip at least once a month and pretty much know all the LNER options between 5-7pm). I was considering whether to jump on that one when I noticed that the rolling display showing the calling points stated "via Leeds" - another contradiction. At the same time I noticed that my 17:33 Leeds train had dropped off the departure boards completely so I got my skates on and ran for the Doncaster train. Once on the platform I noticed that the display on the side of the train stated Skipton as the final destination, which was good news as I usually catch a Skipton service since it always stops at Leeds.

After we set off the automated announcement confirmed that the train was going to Skipton and would call at Leeds. The train guard then immediately made an announcement apologising and stating that this was incorrect (and out of their control) and that the service would be stopping at Doncaster. I looked online and saw that the 20:22 Doncaster to Leeds service was cancelled but that there was another option at 20:38 so I wasn't too concerned.

Just before Doncaster the train guard announced that there was a 20:22 service to Leeds for anyone needing a connecting service. Then just as we pulled in she made a further announcement that this had been cancelled and that the next option was 20:38, which I already knew about from my online checks more than an hour earlier. However, as I got off the train in Doncaster there were station staff shouting directing us to another train waiting to take passengers to Wakefield and Leeds. It turned out that this was the 14:30 service from Kings Cross which had initially been delayed then parked up for a few hours in Doncaster. 

Once in Leeds there were no buses that would get me home within the hour, so I jumped on a Hull train which took me to a local station then got a taxi from there. All in all I was home around an hour later than expected, which I didn't think was bad at all.

Disruptions happen and ultimately they got me home, but boy oh boy, how bad was the communication? The 17:33 disappearing off the departure board, the Skipton train that wasn't the Skipton train, and the fantastic but unannounced and unscheduled extra service that was just parked up in Doncaster ready to bring us to Leeds. I was alright but I'm sure it would have been stressful for many, especially those with young families on board.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I worked in London yesterday and had no idea of the problems caused by Storm Otto. When I got to Kings Cross for the journey home it was immediately obvious that there were problems with lots of Northern bound trains delayed. My 17:33 service to Leeds was displayed on the departure boards as "Not arrived yet. Boarding shortly" which is a contradiction in itself.

Just before 6pm a new service to Doncaster appeared on the departure boards (which is not a regular service as I make this trip at least once a month and pretty much know all the LNER options between 5-7pm). I was considering whether to jump on that one when I noticed that the rolling display showing the calling points stated "via Leeds" - another contradiction. At the same time I noticed that my 17:33 Leeds train had dropped off the departure boards completely so I got my skates on and ran for the Doncaster train. Once on the platform I noticed that the display on the side of the train stated Skipton as the final destination, which was good news as I usually catch a Skipton service since it always stops at Leeds.

After we set off the automated announcement confirmed that the train was going to Skipton and would call at Leeds. The train guard then immediately made an announcement apologising and stating that this was incorrect (and out of their control) and that the service would be stopping at Doncaster. I looked online and saw that the 20:22 Doncaster to Leeds service was cancelled but that there was another option at 20:38 so I wasn't too concerned.

Just before Doncaster the train guard announced that there was a 20:22 service to Leeds for anyone needing a connecting service. Then just as we pulled in she made a further announcement that this had been cancelled and that the next option was 20:38, which I already knew about from my online checks more than an hour earlier. However, as I got off the train in Doncaster there were station staff shouting directing us to another train waiting to take passengers to Wakefield and Leeds. It turned out that this was the 14:30 service from Kings Cross which had initially been delayed then parked up for a few hours in Doncaster. 

Once in Leeds there were no buses that would get me home within the hour, so I jumped on a Hull train which took me to a local station then got a taxi from there. All in all I was home around an hour later than expected, which I didn't think was bad at all.

Disruptions happen and ultimately they got me home, but boy oh boy, how bad was the communication? The 17:33 disappearing off the departure board, the Skipton train that wasn't the Skipton train, and the fantastic but unannounced and unscheduled extra service that was just parked up in Doncaster ready to bring us to Leeds. I was alright but I'm sure it would have been stressful for many, especially those with young families on board.

I am just glad that train companies do not operate in the cruise ship market. Imagine the chaos 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Funny old world.  Tenerife airport was chaos. I thought ' wait till we arrive at Gatwick, then we will see chaos '. Plane a bit early, breezed through passport control, passport reading thingies working ( what are those soldiers and sailors doing behind the manual booths ?) Cases fairly prompt, car in correct bay and motorway clear. On that's right I remember the headlines. It was a strike day.🤣

• Haha 6

25 minutes ago, Beckett said:

@DamianG What a nightmare! Your post stressed me out just reading it, let alone living it. Have a nice relaxing weekend Damian. Best wishes. Jane xx

It was one of those days, my 7am train South was also delayed due to a broken down train blocking the line at Wakefield. Meanwhile my friend’s stepdaughter’s train into Leeds was delayed 40 minutes allegedly due to a plastic bag that had blown onto and stuck on the rails!

At least I am so used to the trip that I knew the best course of action was to get as far North as I could. The Doncaster train wasn’t that busy and I do wonder how many stayed in Kings Cross waiting for a Leeds, Harrogate, or Skipton service.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Indeed, poor communication is often the worst aspect. I suppose it can't be easy when you have multiple train operating companies and then a different company running the lines the trains use. Recipe for chaos in itself.

• Like 4

Repacking day today after our 2 week South America cruise. Combined with the week in Brazil as well seems like we have been away for ages. 

After thinking that we would not be able to go onto Peru due to the political problems, Machu Picchu has reopened and for 5 days from tomorrow will be touring Peru.

• Like 14

9 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Repacking day today after our 2 week South America cruise. Combined with the week in Brazil as well seems like we have been away for ages. 

After thinking that we would not be able to go onto Peru due to the political problems, Machu Picchu has reopened and for 5 days from tomorrow will be touring Peru.

How wonderful. Have a fantastic time.

24 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I have an idea……..😇

I just about remember British rail in the 60's. Nice clean trains, cheap fares, never late,never ever on strike. Happy smiling staff. ...oh hang on..that was Thomas the tank engine.

• Haha 10

2 hours ago, DamianG said:

It was one of those days, my 7am train South was also delayed due to a broken down train blocking the line at Wakefield. Meanwhile my friend’s stepdaughter’s train into Leeds was delayed 40 minutes allegedly due to a plastic bag that had blown onto and stuck on the rails!

At least I am so used to the trip that I knew the best course of action was to get as far North as I could. The Doncaster train wasn’t that busy and I do wonder how many stayed in Kings Cross waiting for a Leeds, Harrogate, or Skipton service.

I read the recounting of your adventure.  Maybe I'm luckier than I imagined... we have one track here in Ottawa.... east to Montreal, west to Toronto.  Fortunately, no need to make quick decisions as the trains hardly ever run.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

I just about remember British rail in the 60's. Nice clean trains, cheap fares, never late,never ever on strike. Happy smiling staff. ...oh hang on..that was Thomas the tank engine.

Yeah but Ringo Starr was the driver.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

British Rail had its faults, certainly.

But as an integrated rail network, only one company to blame if things went wrong, standardised rather than airline-style pricing, standardised ticketing, system it had far fewer faults than the present complex structures. Each part of the system blames the other, and when companies decide they’ve had enough they just ditch the contract and get bailed out by the taxpayer - us.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

You'll love it.Trust me though,don't eat the baked Guinea Pig.I was a plumber and I eat anything but that beat me.They bake it underground a bit like hedgehog.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

British Rail had its faults, certainly.

But as an integrated rail network, only one company to blame if things went wrong, standardised rather than airline-style pricing, standardised ticketing, system it had far fewer faults than the present complex structures. Each part of the system blames the other, and when companies decide they’ve had enough they just ditch the contract and get bailed out by the taxpayer - us.

Dirty filthy trains. Rubbish service. Out 12 bn revenue, 5bn comes from fares. I don't use the things, but pay over half the costs. I remember getting home from work covered in filth. As you may gather , I'm not a fan.

• Like 1

On the subject of transport, and ships too, this is reckoned to be one of the most beautiful ferry crossings in the world - and our Cornish friends might confirm that.

As a kid growing up in Cornwall it was a real must-do on all those long sunny summer school holiday days. And if we couldn’t afford the very low price for our bikes, we just sat and watched the ferry before heading back to Truro.

https://youtu.be/3cNsSXtkpkM

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Dirty filthy trains. Rubbish service. Out 12 bn revenue, 5bn comes from fares. I don't use the things, but pay over half the costs. I remember getting home from work covered in filth. As you may gather , I'm not a fan.

Hmm - I used to use the train from Leeds to Edinburgh a fair bit back in the 80s. An excellent way to travel, (the A1 was a pig in those days), used to get work done on the outward trip, and enjoyed BR wine and sandwiches on the return. A stress free experience - helped of course that I travelled 1st class  - company expenses !

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

On the subject of transport, and ships too, this is reckoned to be one of the most beautiful ferry crossings in the world - and our Cornish friends might confirm that.

As a kid growing up in Cornwall it was a real must-do on all those long sunny summer school holiday days. And if we couldn’t afford the very low price for our bikes, we just sat and watched the ferry before heading back to Truro.

https://youtu.be/3cNsSXtkpkM

KING HARRY ferry,Harry?

• Like 1