P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Stoke council only charge for certain items but the last time that DH took some stuff to tip they asked for our post code because they said that they are trying to stop people from outside the city from using our tip rather than paying at their own council tips.  I can't imagine it working too well as I know of at least one person who brings his stuff to our tip when he visits his daughter rather than pay where he lives.

• Like 1

At home we have a green wheelie bin for general rubbish collected weekly. Separate bags for paper and card, plastic, tins, and a box for glass which is collected fortnightly with garden waste (chargeable, in a brown wheelie bin) collected fortnightly, which alternates with the other recycling.

There's a lot of posts today about rubbish , Wheely lots of them to choose from .🙃

A bloke over the road now works on a rubbish collection round , he said there 

is not much training ,he just picks it up as they go along 😉 

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

I have just been shopping with my mum this morning to Booths and their Christmas food book was out.

Tis the season to be jolly scary !  We called to see grand kids and noted a lot of gardens already decked out for Halloween !

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

We have a red top bin for non recyclables, a purple topped bid for glass & plastic, a blue bag for paper & cardboard, a green bin for garden waste, and a small grey container for food waste. The Purple Bin, Green Bin and Blue bag are collected every fortnight as is the Red topped bin, the food waste is collected every week. We find out Red top bin only has one bag of waste as we recycle as much as we can. If item is too big for bin or not collected at kerbside we just take it to recycling centre  or book a bulk  collection.

We are lucky to have a very efficient system, no additional fees, except for bulk collection’s which if over 65 or disabled are at a reduced cost, with one free collections year. 

It might be efficient, but where do you put empty tins and cans, clean aluminium foil containers and empty aerosols?

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Our council says that 60%+ other councils already charge and councils aren’t obliged to collect garden waste anyway, apparently!

Strange that, when I would have thought that garden waste was virtually guaranteed to provide a profit when it is successfully turned into good quality peat free compost.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Stoke council only charge for certain items but the last time that DH took some stuff to tip they asked for our post code because they said that they are trying to stop people from outside the city from using our tip rather than paying at their own council tips.  I can't imagine it working too well as I know of at least one person who brings his stuff to our tip when he visits his daughter rather than pay where he lives.

Our council require you to register your car number to use the rubbish collection site, and uses number plate recognition to check you're registered.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, kalos said:

Tis the season to be jolly scary !  We called to see grand kids and noted a lot of gardens already decked out for Halloween !

Gosh that’s early for gardens to be decked out for Halloween. I can’t believe we are getting towards the back end of the year already, it doesn’t seem two minutes since I was buying daffodils in the Spring

Michelle

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Gosh that’s early for gardens to be decked out for Halloween. I can’t believe we are getting towards the back end of the year already, it doesn’t seem two minutes since I was buying daffodils in the Spring

Michelle

You want to see the Halloween decorations in Canada. They really go to town and it lasts for weeks. Quebec was particularly pumpkinned! Very pretty though. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

Pyreus for Athens today, the weather is great with flat seas. I get why people love Aurora, she is a nice ship, we have booked for 2026 now the new brochures are out. The future cruise desk is open twelve hours a day now with queues most days. 

Hope you enjoyed Athens - I’ll be there next week.   Is there a good deal with OBC whilst booking onboard?   I think it was triple the normal amount a couple of weeks ago. 

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Everything seems to appear earlier every year I noticed that Tesco have Christmas chocolates and decorations in already.  I bought 2 Lindt chocolate reindeer for my niece's teenagers last week and told them that they were to remind them that Santa had his spies out to let him know who was naughty and who was nice.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Strange that, when I would have thought that garden waste was virtually guaranteed to provide a profit when it is successfully turned into good quality peat free compost.

Therefore it is an extra revenue stream twice over! Our green bin has been chargeable for many years and before that we had to pay for brown sacks which were in packs of 10. The green bin cost £66 in June this year with each addition one costing the same.

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

The repaired combi boiler just broke down again and I strained my shoulder yesterday resulting in about 2 hours sleep last night. Not happy 😒

Look on the bright side ,at least you have a new beanie hat 😉 and a spare 🙃

Take it easy Dave and rest .!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Look on the bright side ,at least you have a new beanie hat 😉 and a spare 🙃

Take it easy Dave and rest .!

The beanie hats were spitting and hissing yesterday but they are now friends and cuddled up on the chair

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We are lucky here only 3 bins, grey bins for general stuff, brown bins for organic and blue bins for glass, plastic and tins, paper has to go in a plastic box. Grey bins are every week, blue bins and paper box are fortnightly and brown bins on the same day as blue bins but only from April to the end of October. 

My friend who lives in Newcastle-under-Lyme complains bitterly about how their recycling works, they have several boxes and bags for their recycling.

Amateur!

We have

Green - general rubbish once a month

Purple - paper and card once a month

blue - plastics and tins once a month

Brown - garden waste once a month (payable*]

Grey - food waste once a week

Black - glass once a fortnight 

There is also another bin for contaminated waste eg nappies which is a weekly collection. Don’t know the colour as we don’t have one.

I’m glad I have a decent sized garden as these mainly full sized bins take up a lot of space!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We are lucky here only 3 bins, grey bins for general stuff, brown bins for organic and blue bins for glass, plastic and tins, paper has to go in a plastic box. Grey bins are every week, blue bins and paper box are fortnightly and brown bins on the same day as blue bins but only from April to the end of October. 

My friend who lives in Newcastle-under-Lyme complains bitterly about how their recycling works, they have several boxes and bags for their recycling.

You're lucky to get your grey bin every week which council do you come under? We are s o t city council and everything is fortnightly, grey then blue and brown together.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

You're lucky to get your grey bin every week which council do you come under? We are s o t city council and everything is fortnightly, grey then blue and brown together.

And collection of the brown (garden waste) bin in the winter for £15. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Bernie Ecclestone now owes the tax man £652M, and doesn't go straight to jail.

Lester Piggott must be turning in his grave.  

And Ken Dodd was very fortunate indeed to have had a Liverpool jury. Anywhere else in the country and he’d have ended up in prison like Piggott.

• Like 1

I have today received an email from P&O advising me I can book seats on our flight to Tenerife in January at 00.01 on 13th October, but as they are working on English time and I'm in Sicily, an hour ahead, I'll take my chances and have a look tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Well after all of the stress, panic and doubts about our cruise on Britannia in January we are now all paid up ........

Congratulations, you'll have a great time.  We just received our upgrade offer, a mere £1,130pp for a midaft suite ... no thank you.

• Like 1