P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I have just been to the surgery to have my annual blood tests, my arms and backs of my hands are all now like pin cushions, the nurse couldn't find a vein that was prepared to give any blood.  I wish that they still had a trained phlebotomy  the last one retired last year.

She has given me a tip, " drink 2 pints of water before going for a blood test ".

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I have just been to the surgery to have my annual blood tests, my arms and backs of my hands are all now like pin cushions, the nurse couldn't find a vein that was prepared to give any blood.  I wish that they still had a trained phlebotomy  the last one retired last year.

She has given me a tip, " drink 2 pints of water before going for a blood test ".

Yes you should drink plenty of water before a blood test to make it easier to find a vein, coming from someone with the worst veins on the planet!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have just been to the surgery to have my annual blood tests

I have just  come back from my check up too.  Some of the questions couldn't be answered, ie can you walk 100 yards without being breathless.  Nothing showed up for an answer to the question for people who cannot walk 100 yards.  There were a few questions like that ie how many hours exercise per week.   How I wish I could.   So she put no for those things.  Oh well!!!

Had to laugh.. when asked about alcohol I told her I drink less than one bottle of wine per week.  I was feeling smug about that but in her summing up she said "Try and cut back on the alcohol"🙃🤣

• Haha 9

34 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

Easier to change the limit to 20 than construct speed bumps! Getting used to the new speed limit now. 

It will be very interesting to see if the lower speed limit reduces pedestrian injuries, and of course there is the added benefit of extra revenue from speeding fines. 🤣

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Easier to change the limit to 20 than construct speed bumps! Getting used to the new speed limit now. 

I'm sure our taxi journeys in Cardiff cost us more cos of that.They are time based,even sitting at the traffic lights cost us 50p,lol.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Thankfully speed bumps are being removed in a lot of places. Apparently they increase pollution.

Some dispute over whether the pollution increase claim is true, NICE disagree with the claim.

One of the roads close to me has speed cushions installed at the request of people living there as the road was notorious for accidents due to excess speed. The cushions and other traffic calming measures have reduced speeds and number of accidents. The air quality monitor showed no increase in air pollution. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Some dispute over whether the pollution increase claim is true, NICE disagree with the claim.

One of the roads close to me has speed cushions installed at the request of people living there as the road was notorious for accidents due to excess speed. The cushions and other traffic calming measures have reduced speeds and number of accidents. The air quality monitor showed no increase in air pollution. 

All a matter of opinion I guess.  They are being gradually removed from our City centre and one of the reasons given is the fact we have high pollution levels.  Unfortunately due to being in a bowl with only four main roads we suffer a lot of bad air.  Certainly my experience as a former Councillor up in Essex was that they were often put in to roads where no accidents had ever occurred but because the residents pestered for them.

I actually live on a road which was a "B" Road but since the advent of electronic road guidance has found itself upgraded to "A"  and into the trunk road system, it has a 30mph speed limit which over 50% do not adhere to at the last measurement and count. There are numerous accidents which are not acknowledged by the police or council as they are 'property damage" not accidents and as such are not officially recorded.  Unless there is serious injury or death they are apparently minor and do not count in accident statistics.  

Finally, after many years, the highways  agency has installed speed indicator signs which has slowed the traffic a little. Speed humps were discussed and disregarded as old fashioned, often dangerous in certain environments and polluting.

It's just 4˚C on the edge of London, the sky is clear, the sun is rising over the trees and all's well... we have a forecast for wall to wall sunshine and max temps of 10˚C... We hope that everyone has a good day... we're doing a little bit of Christmas prep today... just a little bit of happiness to share.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

It's just 4˚C on the edge of London, the sky is clear, the sun is rising over the trees and all's well... we have a forecast for wall to wall sunshine and max temps of 10˚C... We hope that everyone has a good day... we're doing a little bit of Christmas prep today... just a little bit of happiness to share.

Same on our side of London.My mrs is having her hair done this morning so I'm walking to the gym early today.It's a 4 mile hike thru a country park.Nice not to wear my waterproof gear today.Enjoy,everyone.

• Like 7

Currently bright at 8c and expected to get up to 12c, so still relatively mild.

With regard to traffic speeds, the main road through town is due to be reduced to 20 mph next year, although you are lucky if you can do that anyway. Years back they widen the footpaths as a traffic calming measure which has caused massive congestion and there is often a queue of traffic along the main road. It is worse when the A30 by pass is closed due to roadworks or an accident. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Same on our side of London.My mrs is having her hair done this morning so I'm walking to the gym early today.It's a 4 mile hike thru a country park.Nice not to wear my waterproof gear today.Enjoy,everyone.

It's good after years of hard graft when most of us were expected by employers to be totally passionate about working for them to leave the angst, hassle and strain being and to enjoy life. We both enjoyed what we did for a living but somehow we never could reconcile the idea that work should be the be-all and end-all of life. So in the last week.... we've had a wonderful bonfire night at a local restaurant, been to the theatre and to a Live Event at the cinema... all things that would have been difficult to fit in before we joined the "Wisdom Club."

Not to be flippant... we had a very serious medical emergency this week... real danger to life stuff,,, and all of that... But, like most people, we determine to make every day a good day!

• Like 12

5c and sunny here, the double glazing is doing its job as the windows have condensation on the outside.

After 4 nights we still haven’t been disturbed at night by squirrel (s?) in the loft🤞, so the led low wattage light left on in the loft seems to have worked.

During this week I’ve tried to phone my hairdresser to make an appointment but their phone just rang and rang. So I walked around to it yesterday and their was a note on the door saying that they were closed until next Tuesday because of the new disease!!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Thankfully speed bumps are being removed in a lot of places. Apparently they increase pollution.

You sometimes wonder. We have a rail depot with an aggregate terminal. The folk living in the new flats complain that the tipper truck tailgates bang when they go over the speed humps. If you removed the speed humps.....problem solved. Personally, I wouldn't have spent £500k on a flat in that location.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

You sometimes wonder. We have a rail depot with an aggregate terminal. The folk living in the new flats complain that the tipper truck tailgates bang when they go over the speed humps. If you removed the speed humps.....problem solved. Personally, I wouldn't have spent £500k on a flat in that location.

Maybe when they take the speed bumps out they should use the tarmac to fill in some of the potholes😁.

I find the wagon tail gates bang when they hit a pothole and we only spent £150K on our house.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Broken springs don't matter, do they?.

• Like 1

I find it really difficult to cope with all the hate and horror on display in our world at the moment.  We seem to be going backwards 😢886467F8-B716-45FC-AD9B-B1A89B82F5D9.thumb.jpeg.a03ca940c7741bd823a2957f59cbbe7c.jpeg

Anyway, on a personal level, we woke in the caravan  to a beautiful warm, calm, sunny morning and had a good 10k step out by the beach.  Jackets open - nearly warm enough to remove them at some moments.

Then bubble & squeak for brunch.  
We’re back home for a few days now, but that’s not the end of the van.  We still have to pack it up for winter - or possibly not yet, should we decide to spend Xmas there.  All weather dependent 

ED2358EE-6AFA-4C4B-95BF-3013FCDEE268.jpeg

• Like 15