P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

A bright and sunny morning here, around 9C.

Waiting for confirmation of a delivery time for my new printer from HP, my old one stopped printing in colour and was making odd noises when printing, it was 7 years old and no amount of reinstalling software would fix the issue. HP support did indicate that there was a possible compatibility issue with Windows 11 that some users had experienced. I used my former employers perks system which I have access to as a pensioner to get a significant discount on the retail price. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Good morning everyone, another grey morning but at least it is dry.

We had yet another fraught journey to school due to an accident that my niece said that was another child from their school.  When I said she couldn't possibly know that she said then why would there be 2 teachers from the school there talking to the police and ambulance staff.  I had to concede that she was probably right.

They usually are! 😀

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 7:07 AM, kalos said:

Morning 9.c dark and dry from what I can see here .

Regarding Asda Christmas adverts I think the elf ads are a hard act to follow for them .

The one I saw last night called "Joy Ride" I took a shine to .

Should have called it  CC ladies outing 😉 Only joking girls .

Plus it has one of my fave Beatles songs . Will post it below .

Hope our friend @grapau27 gets his phone back soon !

Have a good day everyone 

Well, I don't remember you taking this video Kalos.    When did you do it  

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Waiting for confirmation of a delivery time for my new printer from HP, my old one stopped printing in colour and was making odd noises when printing, it was 7 years old and no amount of reinstalling software would fix the issue. HP support did indicate that there was a possible compatibility issue with Windows 11 that some users had experienced. I used my former employers perks system which I have access to as a pensioner to get a significant discount on the retail price. 

I still use Windows 10. I keep getting offers to update to 11, but both my grandsons have said to leave it alone because there are a lot of issues with it. Having no knowledge whatsoever of computers and/or internet, other than pressing the relevenat keys, I simply take their advice.

Avril

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I still use Windows 10. I keep getting offers to update to 11, but both my grandsons have said to leave it alone because there are a lot of issues with it. Having no knowledge whatsoever of computers and/or internet, other than pressing the relevenat keys, I simply take their advice.

Avril

Likewise. My SIL advised me to not to update to Windows 11.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Waiting for confirmation of a delivery time for my new printer from HP,

My mate was bragging his new 3D printer can print a gun.
I wasn’t that impressed really , I’ve had a Canon printer for years 🙃

• Haha 20

Good afternoon everyone, hope you are all ok today.

It’s a bit breezy here today with a mixture of cloud and sun, at least no rain for a change.

Yesterday my neurologist told me my problems with walking were more likely the progression of my MS. He just told me to drink plenty of water, take vitamin D, take some exercise and rest when I need to. I do all these already so there is not much more I can do apart from just get on with it and do what I can.

To cheer my self up I booked a cruise with the grandchildren on Independence of the Seas August 2025 to Baltic towns/cities

Off out for a walk(scooter) with the dogs now 

Michelle

• Like 18

32 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I still use Windows 10. I keep getting offers to update to 11, but both my grandsons have said to leave it alone because there are a lot of issues with it.

If it aint broke don't try and mend it Avril . Over many years using various Microsoft new versions of windows ,I found they have a bad habit of releasing things half complete , needing endless patches to fix issues .

Our works had high tech equipment and office systems that were running on windows 7 .

I was told the NHS had done the same but upgraded where possible when they were hacked .

It was only last year I dumped windows 8 due to them not doing updates anymore .

If your happy with what you have stick with it Avril .

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Avril

Exactly the same with me sis,I'm glad you posted this,I'll stick too,bro.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, kalos said:

If it aint broke don't try and mend it Avril . Over many years using various Microsoft new versions of windows ,I found they have a bad habit of releasing things half complete , needing endless patches to fix issues .

Our works had high tech equipment and office systems that were running on windows 7 .

I was told the NHS had done the same but upgraded where possible when they were hacked .

It was only last year I dumped windows 8 due to them not doing updates anymore .

I am still on windows 10, which was itself an upgrade from an earlier version, but my laptop is now 13 yrs old and only used for spreadsheets and word, so not switched on often.  However I have noticed a significant reduction in windows updates, so presumably MS are not maintaining as well as their newer versions.

• Like 4

Hello - grey and rainy up here (again) so didn’t go out as planned.   Instead phoned Sky and Netflix to try and fix a Netflix problem which is not yet resolved.  However I did get a free 4 month upgrade to Sky Cinema so just the right time of year for that!  Michelle - booking a cruise always lifts the spirits.  I agree it looks like Graham is cruising (or maybe in his favourite Spanish hotel).  Eglesbrech - hope all is well with you after your cruise.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I am still on windows 10, which was itself an upgrade from an earlier version, but my laptop is now 13 yrs old and only used for spreadsheets and word, so not switched on often.  However I have noticed a significant reduction in windows updates, so presumably MS are not maintaining as well as their newer versions.

Funnily enough after doing Avril's post I thought I would check for updates and have just downloaded 

November 14, 2023—KB5032189    ..also 
November 14, 2023-KB5032339 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 10 Version 22H2

Using same as you but had to go and check for updates myself to get these two .

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kalos said:

Funnily enough after doing Avril's post I thought I would check for updates and have just downloaded 

November 14, 2023-KB5032339 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.8 and 4.8.1 for Windows 10 Version 22H2

I am fairly certain I have auto update switched on but will give it a nudge next time I turn on the laptop. But my Epson wi fi printer updates also my WD back up hard drive updates, still keep coming through.

• Like 3

Quite a big automatic Windows 10 update this morning - though had to do my wife’s manually to get it out of the way.

Just hoping our PCs are going to last until October 2025 when W10 loses its support. Updates are one hell of a lot easier these days than they were when we had our first PC back in the 90s when there would invariably be the blue screen of death afterwards. Christmases in our house back then are remembered mainly for the 2 hour lunchtime calls to Ireland to talk to the Gateway 2000 support people, followed by the inevitable reinstalling of Windows 95 - a shocker of an operating system.

That PC had a 6GB hard drive - ‘Wow, that’s MASSIVE’ from a knowledgeable friend who was the first guy in our village to connect to the internet! He proudly showed me what the internet could do - ‘Can’t really see the point’ from me!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I was fine with Windows 8 too kalos, but when I needed a new laptop It was a Windows 10. My grandsons both assured me it was good. I've been perfectly happy with it, which is why I took their advice with Windows 11.

How's Mrs K doing kalos?

Avril

29 minutes ago, kalos said:

I've just noticed the little orange update symbol to selcet a time. I don't bother and it does it automatically overnight.

Avril

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adawn47 said:

I was fine with Windows 8 too kalos, but when I needed a new laptop It was a Windows 10. My grandsons both assured me it was good. I've been perfectly happy with it, which is why I took their advice with Windows 11.

How's Mrs K doing kalos?

Avril

She's been fine since we re boarded the ship, thanks for asking says Mrs K.

As Harry posted we get dumped with the upgrades next October and as this was an upgrade  it warns me the system is not suitable for Win 11 but I did go out and buy a Samsung note book .

That should help as I tend to run Chrome when using that one , so will see where I go from there .

Sometimes the PC'S can be a pain ,only the other day we wanted to cast a program to our TV  as we often do but the PC was reading "No devices found "

Tried restarting the PC'S as Mrs K had the same issue with her PC. 

When we cast our phones to the TV ,not a problem worked perfect ,so we knew it was not the TV and chances of two PC's going daft was remote .

Turns out it was Mr Norton 360 and some update causing issues when in "secure VPN"

The workaround is turn off until the cast connects to the TV , only then can we turn it back on .

Isn't computing wonderful ? 🤔😒

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, kalos said:

The second Tuesday  in the month is always Windows update day. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dermotsgirl said:

The second Tuesday  in the month is always Windows update day. 

Thanks that's why I checked as nothing went through yesterday even though set to do them 

auto .Think it does it just to annoy me as other times it does them .😉

• Like 1

I get a reminder that the upgrade will happen outside normal hours so it is best to leave it switched on all night. I am not looking forward to the windows 11 version after I tried the new email system, rubbish and did not work anyway. Waht always worries me is my online banking software really secure despite the security software and the little padlock icon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

She's been fine since we re boarded the ship, thanks for asking says Mrs K.

As Harry posted we get dumped with the upgrades next October and as this was an upgrade  it warns me the system is not suitable for Win 11 but I did go out and buy a Samsung note book .

That should help as I tend to run Chrome when using that one , so will see where I go from there .

Sometimes the PC'S can be a pain ,only the other day we wanted to cast a program to our TV  as we often do but the PC was reading "No devices found "

Tried restarting the PC'S as Mrs K had the same issue with her PC. 

When we cast our phones to the TV ,not a problem worked perfect ,so we knew it was not the TV and chances of two PC's going daft was remote .

Turns out it was Mr Norton 360 and some update causing issues when in "secure VPN"

The workaround is turn off until the cast connects to the TV , only then can we turn it back on .

Isn't computing wonderful ? 🤔😒

Errm, You lost me after 'sometimes the PC's can be a pain.........' That's a sentence I can relate to, but when it gets to that stage I go to the bottom of the stairs and shout 'JOE!!!' 😮😇Works like a charm and no personal stress.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Good afternoon everyone, hope you are all ok today.

It’s a bit breezy here today with a mixture of cloud and sun, at least no rain for a change.

Yesterday my neurologist told me my problems with walking were more likely the progression of my MS. He just told me to drink plenty of water, take vitamin D, take some exercise and rest when I need to. I do all these already so there is not much more I can do apart from just get on with it and do what I can.

To cheer my self up I booked a cruise with the grandchildren on Independence of the Seas August 2025 to Baltic towns/cities

Off out for a walk(scooter) with the dogs now 

Michelle

It was possibly what you were expecting to hear Michelle, even though the word 'progression' when applied to medical conditions is one we would rather not hear.

So glad you managed to cheer yourself up by booking another cruise and going out with the dogs. Good for you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So so day weather wise bit of sun bit of rain a bit breezy.

I went for my first Physio appointment this morning, nursie was well impressed with my progress and joint flexibility. "How are you doing with the exercises Phil?" "To be honest I am finding them a bit too easy" "Ahh in that case we will skip the two week plan and go to four week plan, please get on the exercise bed" I wish I had kept me gob shut, after 15 minutes I felt like I had run a marathon. The upside is I don't need to go back for four weeks. So I see the physio and consultant on the same day six week after the op, when I hope he will let me sneak in a cruise after Christmas.

On the subject of laptops and operating systems I have moved to ChromeOS, bit of a risk after years of dos and windows but I don't see me ever going back as the chromebook suits my needs down to the ground, and I can't say that moving from windows to chromebook was any harder than going from windows 8 to 10. Probably wouldn't suit everyone but I like it.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, davecttr said:

I get a reminder that the upgrade will happen outside normal hours so it is best to leave it switched on all night. I am not looking forward to the windows 11 version after I tried the new email system, rubbish and did not work anyway. Waht always worries me is my online banking software really secure despite the security software and the little padlock icon

I have been using Windows 11 for a while now, I find it better than Windows 10 had no issues with it. As for the Mail update it’s independent of Windows 11 so will eventually apply to both sets of users. 

I have been using Outlook for some years as part of the Office suite, the Mail app now mirrors what I have been using for sone years now. 

The windows 11 update on my laptop took just under 3 mins to install this evening, so no need to leave on overnight. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Well that was a whole day wasted waiting for ParcelForce to deliver, email said printer would be delivered today, at 4pm got a message to say parcel now at hub ready to be passed to delivery office, so despite the website and an email saying it will be delivered today, it turns out it won’t be after all. Will see what tomorrow brings.