P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 minute ago, mrsgoggins said:

I bought a new Yaris hybrid a few years ago, after having my old much-loved Jazz since 2006, but neither of us really enjoyed driving it, and so we sold it to a Yaris dealer for £1k more than we paid - I can't imagine that ever happening again!

So it was back to a Jazz, but I had to wait until last autumn for delivery because I wanted heated seats and a heated steering wheel and their current models at the start of the year didn't have the heated steering wheel, plus I expect it to be the last car I ever buy given than I am happy to drive an old car, so wanted it to be 'right'.

Much happier with a Jazz but we both like our comfy old Jazz, which we still own and has less than 50k miles on it. We also own a diesel Skoda Superb estate (which we use for long journeys) and a long-wheelbase VW van, which is DH's pride and joy (it's old but well cared for). It's essential for his hobby 😏. Fortunately, we are not short of parking space ...... but I know it doesn't make any sense owning 4 vehicles for 2 of us 😁

I drive a Jazz and also love it. I particularly like the magic rear seats that fold down to give a huge boot area (especially useful with a dog OR when going to the dump).
If I wanted to replace my current model like for like, I see it has gone up 10k since I bought my last one 5 years ago. 🙄

• Like 5

Good morning.

8°C and raining here.

Pauline's 2003 Renault Clio has 60.000 miles and sits in our garage most of the time as we use our 2022 Renault Captur most of the time especially driving down to Southampton.

For 35+ years I drove Vauxhall company cars.

I have a skin cancer check up today.

I hope everyone has a great day.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Did anyone get to see the solar eclipse? 

We didn’t bother to look because of the low cloud cover.

It was other side of planet Josey so I watched it on You Tube .If you want to see the 

next UK full eclipse then put it in your diary , the year 2090 🙃😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Morning 7.c and no rain at the moment for us .

@indiana123 Fingers crossed for you that they solve your pain at your

appointment ,fingers crossed and all the best .🙂

Reading back through the posts and reading how tall or in some cases how 

shorter you are .

I look at it this way , shorter folk are lovely and you have got to hand it to them ..

Especially if it's on a higher shelf out of reach 😉🙂

Have a good day - take care everyone.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

Thanks, kalos - I can remember being useful in supermarkets reaching up for things for little old ladies, and thinking that it is unfair to have stuff up so high small people have to wait for someone tall to come along.   I realised that when the last few bottles of  special offer were right at the back of a high shelf in Sainsbury's, and I had to get a very tall young assistant to get them for me.

I hope everyone who has medical stuff to deal with today gets seen promptly and helped by the consultation or procedure.  It will be a good day on here when no one has medical problems to deal with - it could happen, hopefully!

• Like 11

I often get asked to reach items down in the supermarket, sometimes I know beforehand that someone is going to ask, you just see them gazing longingly at that chocolate on a high shelf, even the order pickers will sometimes ask. 

We only have one car now since we retired, but I used to do a fair bit of off roading and trial biking so always had various land rovers and motor bikes in my younger years. We currently have a Citroen C3 Aircross which is 3 1/2 year old. Normally I would be looking at changing but with less than 22K on the clock it seems pointless. Top of my list is the Yaris cross hybrid, but I do have a couple of others on my watch list. 

Weather wise it isn't too bad cloudy and mild with rain later. Like we need more rain, hey ho. I did get to potter in the garden yesterday albeit not much to do. 

• Like 7

7c, rainy and stormy here this morning and the forecast is for it to stay this way until mid afternoon😩

Since I retired we only have one car now and we manage ok between us, it is 4 1/2 years old and we have had it for 3 1/2 years. A complete contrast to when I was working when we had 2 cars from the company which we changed every 6 months, so 4 new cars a year. It’s taken a bit of getting used to having to arrange servicing and MOTs after 20 years not having to do so.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

8°C and raining here.

Pauline's 2003 Renault Clio has 60.000 miles and sits in our garage most of the time as we use our 2022 Renault Captur most of the time especially driving down to Southampton.

Fingers crossed for you Graham. I have a Mercedes A190 amg. Just like Lewis Hamilton. He's off to Ferrari next year. Gail hasn't mentioned birthday presents, so fingers crossed for me as well.🤣

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Fingers crossed for you Graham. I have a Mercedes A190 amg. Just like Lewis Hamilton. He's off to Ferrari next year. Gail hasn't mentioned birthday presents, so fingers crossed for me as well.🤣

Happy birthday John.

c74c9e8d0adbdcb7e659509fb15059a5.jpg

• Like 5

With all this talk of medical matters, has anyone else been asked to sign up for Our Future Health?  A very large mobile unit arrived in our Tesco car park a few weeks back and after receiving a letter from the NHS inviting me to take part I'm told I have to attend there next Thursday for a half hour appointment.  Sounds very interesting.

Sending good luck and best wishes for everyone having tests, check ups and appointments today.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

8°C and raining here.

Fingers crossed all goes well for you today Graham

Michelle

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Hope all goes well with that Graham 🙂

1 hour ago, Angel57 said:

@grapau27 I hope all goes well - I’m sure you are always glad to get it over with.

1 hour ago, Adawn47 said:

I hope all goes well at the hospital today Graham'

Avril

37 minutes ago, zap99 said:

7 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Fingers crossed all goes well for you today Graham

Michelle

Thank you everyone.

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

With all this talk of medical matters, has anyone else been asked to sign up for Our Future Health?  A very large mobile unit arrived in our Tesco car park a few weeks back and after receiving a letter from the NHS inviting me to take part I'm told I have to attend there next Thursday for a half hour appointment.  Sounds very interesting.

Sending good luck and best wishes for everyone having tests, check ups and appointments today.

We joined last year, short medical and a blood test. We were given the bumph and a printout of our results. I have not heard anything from them since, not that I was really expecting to. . 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

We have been doing the Bio bank, which is similar for over 30 years 

After your initial appointment you receive various questionnaires over the years.  Husband went for a complete medical checkup a couple of years ago 

I didn't do it because of other medical matters at the time.

It takes only a small amount of your time and the information is useful for all sorts of research. Well worth taking part. I believe we should all give back where we can 

• Like 4

@Eddie99 Thanks for your good wishes. I'm a tad worried about future health issues and didn't sleep that well last night. Good news is I feel much better today and had all stitches out pain-free.

@indiana123 I do hope all goes well for you on Thursday and I further hope you got somewhere to stay at a much lower price than you were quoted - which was a total rip-off!

@grapau27 Hope all is well for you at your checkup today Graham. I know it's rourine but still...good luck.

It's a horrible day here today. Fiercely windy and raining since early morning. Have a good day eveyone. Jane xx

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Grumpycruiser60plus said:

Good Afternoon everyone. 

Sunday.  A visit to Eden Project. Weather ( storm killjoy) having an effect meant  getting a little wet once we arrived. So straight to the Biomes. Some pics  below. 

So today, Monday  we were off to Rock opp side of Estuary  for a family lunch at The Mariniers. 

We had several friends ask if we were eating at Rick Stein places. Short answer, no. But we will & are eating at different Paul Anisworth restaurants.

I have food pictures/ menu also  below. 

20240407_125133.jpg

20240407101214.JPG

20240407103301.JPG

20240407103240.JPG

20240407112234.JPG

20240407104943.JPG

20240407112023.JPG

20240407113605.JPG

20240407112310.JPG

20240407112509.JPG

20240407112532.JPG

20240407115616.JPG

20240407115639.JPG

20240408_121126.jpg

20240408_123743.jpg

20240408_123812.jpg

20240408_132833.jpg

20240408_132839.jpg

20240408_132843.jpg

We are currently staying in Polzeath (a couple of miles from Rock). We’ve eaten in the Mariners many times over the years, but have not been there since Paul Ainsworth bought it - he’s certainly put the prices up, but the food looks delicious. We’ve also eaten at Rick Stein’s St Petroc’s In Padstow on several occasions and found the lunch menu very good.

The weather has been windy with heavy showers for the last couple of weeks here and sadly we didn’t get to see the eclipse last night due to thick cloud. After last night’s storm, strong winds and torrential rain today is bright and sunny although still very windy. The sea looks spectacular, but it’s a day best enjoyed from indoors rather than walking the cliff paths! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Best wishes today... 

We looked out before breakfast this morning and it was cold, damp windy and very grey.

So instead... We had a look at the free internet Dailys... Erhm! (The ones reminding us of Private Frazer from Dads' Army... "We're a dooomed!")

Very quickly looked out of the window again... it seemed to be such a better day... pleasantly cool so no fear of being frazzled by global warming, a little light rain to delight the garden and replenish our underground aquifers and reservoirs so no need to fear a hosepipe ban, a gentle breeze creating a symphony of sound in the trees and blowing away any nasty air-pollution and a sky of unbelievably delightful mottled greys... such a fashionable relaxing and therapeutic colour.

Later...

Writing "best wishes this morning" took the mind off the monthly visit from our home nurse... s/he  administers some rare, wonderful and truly ballistic meds that saves regular visits to the hossie...and keeps one of us totally okey dokey, tip top and just jim-dandy... (neither one of us is actually called "Jim Doky" although we both read the "Dandy" when the earth was young.) So it's with a bit of empathy that we send our very best and most sincere wishes to everyone undergoing tests and procedures... or who are waiting for results.

Nobody ever promised that growing older and wiser was going to be easy... it's certainly not for softies... thank goodness for the gift of strength, resilience and patience. 

During a visit to hospital yesterday... when things went a bit awry... and the one of us, who was the patient, was able to remain; cool, calm, collected and tried to be supportive, the stressed clinician in charge commented that it was good to see a patient with "chakra"... and then, realising that the word in Sanskrit hadn't been understood, explained it as "the third eye." 

We have (what we hope is) a very respectful interest in the culture, religion and beliefs of others but always as folks who feel a bit humbled to be offered an insight.

It was very touching that a hard-working and stressed NHS clinician's first thoughts were that... as folks grew older they also grew in knowledge, wisdom, perception and enlightenment. Far more profound than our own personal idea (based on having seen Danusia Iwaszko's play "The Wisdom Club" in the magnificent Theatre Royal in Bury St Edmunds in 2019) that as folks aged they grow in wisdom and so became members of... the Wisdom Club."

We really do "Live and Learn!" Hope for us yet!

Edited by twotravellersLondon
  • Like 11

12 minutes ago, SeaJane said:

We are currently staying in Polzeath (a couple of miles from Rock). We’ve eaten in the Mariners many times over the years, but have not been there since Paul Ainsworth bought it - he’s certainly put the prices up, but the food looks delicious. We’ve also eaten at Rick Stein’s St Petroc’s In Padstow on several occasions and found the lunch menu very good.

The weather has been windy with heavy showers for the last couple of weeks here and sadly we didn’t get to see the eclipse last night due to thick cloud. After last night’s storm, strong winds and torrential rain today is bright and sunny although still very windy. The sea looks spectacular, but it’s a day best enjoyed from indoors rather than walking the cliff paths! 

Picture on the inter Web today. All the traffic cones to stop parking. Its too wet to repaint the double yellow lines.😂

• Haha 7

58 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Picture on the inter Web today. All the traffic cones to stop parking. Its too wet to repaint the double yellow lines.😂

There is only one narrow road that runs through Polzeath. They repainted the lines on the road leading down into the village before Easter, but were unable to complete the job due to the awful weather. Over the Easter holiday cars were parking on both sides making it very difficult to get through even in a normal car. There is no excuse for the inconsiderate drivers as there are plenty of car parks in Polzeath, but of course they charge ………

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1