P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

20 minutes ago, brian1 said:

We're going there with Celebrity over Christmas.On the itinerary it says Cadiz for Seville,but it's 2 hrs from Seville.Our daughter says Seville is lovely but I think we will stick local.

How about a short transfer to Jerez? We had a great day there once. 

• Thanks 1

Cadiz is indeed a lovely port, and well worth at least one day to go around - but, if you had two days, Seville is really special, and IMO worth a 2 hour journey (though I have been lucky enough to go there on a cruise in a small ship which went all the way to the city, up the Guadalquivir river).

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Last port today on lovely Cadiz.  From some of your posts it looks you’ve had nice weather at home too (maybe it in Scotland).  Enjoying Arvia much more than I anticipated. Eglesbrech you know a lot about whisky - have you tried Bunahaven from Deanston distillery near Doune? My son’s partner works there. 

IMG_0143.jpeg

IMG_0146.jpeg

I love Cadiz, it is my favourite Spanish port

• Like 7

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Morning all, thanks again for all your good wishes. The power of cruise critic I think - I’m much better today at last! The sun is shining, I’ve got two loads of washing out and I’ve been sitting in the garden. Just come in now to cool down before my afternoon shift.

Here’s a funny thing - well I’ve never heard it before. John’s work mate is going on his first ever cruise soon on Iona. It was arranged by a TA. Anyway, he has to park at Southampton airport and then they’ve put on a bus to take them to the port! Anyone heard of that before?

Very pleased you are feeling so much better. But take it easy as it’ll take a while for you to be back to full strength.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Of course I am IN Cadiz and NOT in Scotland!

Cadiz is one of our favourite ports. Does Arvia dock in the usual port, so that you can walk off the ship and straight into the centre of Cadiz?

Avril

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

It's Hornchurch we are going to next month for my SIL's birthday.  Staying in Brentwood so trying Elizabeth Line. On the morning intend EL to Romford and use our bus passes on the old 370 to Hornchurch. I used to use the Devonshire Hotel there but it seems to have shut.  We're going Uber back but that's apparently about £29!

You were right ,it is closed,couldn't see the sign on the door unless you walk right up to it.At the end of our road there is the Railway hotel,a Innkeepers lodge pub/hotel.Probably not as quiet as the Devonshire though and no pets or racehorses cos the stairs are too narrow.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Cadiz is one of our favourite ports. Does Arvia dock in the usual port, so that you can walk off the ship and straight into the centre of Cadiz?

Avril

Arvia is in the prime berth today with a short walk in to town. Sky Princess is in the industrial port and needs a 15 minute shuttle bus ride.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

You were right ,it is closed,couldn't see the sign on the door unless you walk right up to it.At the end of our road there is the Railway hotel,a Innkeepers lodge pub/hotel.Probably not as quiet as the Devonshire though and no pets or racehorses cos the stairs are too narrow.

Thank you.  I'll have a look at that one.  It's okay I'm leaving Dutch Decoy at home. He's busy preparing for his next race. 

• Haha 2

Morning , Mr Helios has put in an appearance again and is burning back

the cloud and should be a warm pleasant day .

Looks the same for most of the UK so enjoy and have a good day 

everyone -Take Care 🙂

• Like 10

Another sunny day here so just lounging around, I 'might' go for a short walk later.

Touch wood, my upper wisdom tooth  exraction yesterday appears to have gone well. I arrived at the dentist at 7.30 and met the dental nurse waiting for the key holder. Then the dentist showed up clutching his pasta lunch box. Still no key holder. All was well ,into the chair at 8am and out at 8.20. Had to pay £2 for the bus home though. Seems the bleeding has now stopped and the therapy for today is gentle rinses with warm salty water. The warm porridge went down OK this morning. Still going to blend food though.

• Like 14

A discussion on another thread has reminded me of a bit of nostalgia. Do you remember going to new ports and the welcome you got back when ships were seen as a very welcome addition to the local economy.

The first time we went to Cartagena we were given a flower from ladies in costume and there was a band.

Frederica we had music, costumes and were given sweets.

One port in Iceland, I can’t remember which, gave us some sort of soused fish. I don’t recall the port but the fish was shall we say unique.

Closer to home in the early days Invergorden put on a full pipe band and highland dancers (don’t know if that was the local chamber of commerce or Celebrity).

Any memorable “welcomes”

• Like 10

Morning everyone,

Hope you're all well.

Bright, sunny day and currently 14c with expected temp of 19c.

Had a text message from my daughter yesterday saying she's doing a BBQ on Saturday and inviting us over.  I asked if she wanted me to bring anything, and got a reply at half six this morning could I make a pudding. So a baking day is now on the cards.

Have a good day, enjoy the sunshine and take care.

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

A discussion on another thread has reminded me of a bit of nostalgia. Do you remember going to new ports and the welcome you got back when ships were seen as a very welcome addition to the local economy.

The first time we went to Cartagena we were given a flower from ladies in costume and there was a band.

One port in Iceland, I can’t remember which, gave us some sort of soused fish. I don’t recall the port but the fish was shall we say unique.

Closer to home in the early days Invergorden put on a full pipe band and highland dancers (don’t know if that was the local chamber of commerce or Celebrity).

Any memorable “welcomes”

On our first visit to Maderia we were welcomed by dancers in their national costumes and a band playing.

Granada has had a steel band playing.

Norway seem to be more pleased to see us depart as several ports there play music and wave flags as we leave!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

Has anyone else got roses which are already out and even getting over?  Most peculiar - the beech tree is only just coming out, but a few roses are in flower.  I guess something to with weather/climate.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Any memorable “welcomes”

Our first ever cruise was November 2010 on Arcadia and we had a rousing brass band send off, no streamers though. It was a pleasant surprise, as I understand that they had stopped doing that a while ago, but it made a lovely begining to our cruising life. 

Also Oceana 2011. October/November I think? Our itinerary was changed because of the 'Arab Spring.' One change was Malta instead of Libya, where we had a lovely welcome and sailaway with traditional costume, music and dancing. Sad that these traditions are very rare nowadays.

Avril

• Like 7

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Has anyone else got roses which are already out and even getting over?  Most peculiar - the beech tree is only just coming out, but a few roses are in flower.  I guess something to with weather/climate.

Our standard roses have some open flowers and many are partially open.

We have an old Laburnum tree which hasn't flowered for about 5 years, no matter what gardening advice we followed, so we stood looking at it in March and discussed having it removed in the Autumn. It is now a mass of flowers with more to come😲 

There must be something to this 'talking to your plants' lark...........

Or threatening them😁

Avril

• Haha 7

18 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Our first ever cruise was November 2010 on Arcadia and we had a rousing brass band send off, no streamers though. It was a pleasant surprise, as I understand that they had stopped doing that a while ago, but it made a lovely begining to our cruising life. 

Also Oceana 2011. October/November I think? Our itinerary was changed because of the 'Arab Spring.' One change was Malta instead of Libya, where we had a lovely welcome and sailaway with traditional costume, music and dancing. Sad that these traditions are very rare nowadays.

Avril

Our 1st cruise was on Carnival Holiday in 1983. She last sailed in 2020 as the Magallen, I don't know where she was between Carnival and CMV before she was scrapped in 2021.  I only know about the CMV life because a friend should have sailed on her but the cruise was cancelled for some reason.

I miss the old sailaways with the bands.  The most memorable one that I remember was for Britannia's maiden voyage.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

Our roses have buds but no flowers yet. The rhododendrons and hydrangeas also have a few buds and the peonies have plenty of buds.  I don't like this change from spring to summer because thd bulbs have died off but the summer flowers are not quite here.

• Like 2

Hello all it’s another lovely sunny day here today, hope you are all well and will have a good weekend.

I have a question for our cunarders on here , does Cunard have an app they use on board ? Like ordering drinks and booking restaurants etc , I can’t seem to find one on my phone App Store , I know I could ask this on the Cunard board but I don’t want to start a new thread, thought I’d ask among friends 😊

• Like 1

I’m not too keen on brass bands - too militaristic for me! 
There was a singer on the quay belting songs as we left Olden last week. A cross between Tom Jones and Elvis!

I remember some young ladies in Swedish national costume giving us all a flower as we left Helsingbord a few years ago. 

• Like 3