P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

18 hours ago, wowzz said:

OK, I see your point -  we lived in an inland village with no tourists,  so a different experience to being on the coast with holiday makers.

On a snowy, icy night in February, there were not many bars open at midnight,  let alone 3am.

Yes indeed, the inland villages are very different to the larger coastal towns or the cities, which have a much later nightlife...

Good Morning All

I do hope everyone is well and keeping safe.

I've just put the TV on for the Cenotaph service but very sad to hear The Queen is not well enough to attend. I can't remember her ever not being there previously. Your country wishes you well Ma'am.

I'm still wading through the posts from last week to see what I've missed - no time to do it during the last 6 days so after the service I'll enjoy reading what everyone's been up to.

Yesterday was so gloomy and depressing and I needed some light - so I put my Christmas tree up! I know, I know - ridiculously early, insanely early - but it looks fabulous and makes me happy! 

Speak soon. Have a good day everyone. Best wishes to all. Jane.x 

• Like 8

17 hours ago, purplesea said:

Thank you to Wowzz, Avril and Graham for their Good Luck wishes with regards my interview.

Think it went OK, but now have to wait until Tuesday to find out if I've been successful.🤞

Had a nice meal out beforehand, my daughter went for sausages and mash while Mum and I chose tiger prawns with chilli and garlic butter, but as I was driving stuck to a soft drink, but will make up for the missed wine intake this evening!!

20211113_125737.jpg

20211113_125903.jpg

I'm with you and your mum with Garlic Prawns😋

Avril

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good Morning All

I do hope everyone is well and keeping safe.

I've just put the TV on for the Cenotaph service but very sad to hear The Queen is not well enough to attend. I can't remember her ever not being there previously. Your country wishes you well Ma'am.

I'm still wading through the posts from last week to see what I've missed - no time to do it during the last 6 days so after the service I'll enjoy reading what everyone's been up to.

Yesterday was so gloomy and depressing and I needed some light - so I put my Christmas tree up! I know, I know - ridiculously early, insanely early - but it looks fabulous and makes me happy! 

Speak soon. Have a good day everyone. Best wishes to all. Jane.x 

If it cheers you and lightens your day enjoy the fabulousness as early as you like.

Watching the cenotaph ceremony started me thinking of when I started watching it in the 60s with lots of ww1 veterans attending, now even very few ww2 veterans around.

I've just seen a stat that 5300 UK service personnel have been killed in combat since ww2 and around 20,000 were killed on only the first day of the battle of the Somme in ww2 unbelievable, imagine that today.

We will remember them.

• Like 6

It's a dull and drizzly day but still relatively mild.

Thank you again to all of you who wished me good luck for my interview yesterday, but it was in vain!

I've had an e-mail this morning saying that I was unsuccessful. Oh, well never mind, back to the drawing board as they say!!

• Like 3

20 hours ago, purplesea said:

Thank you to Wowzz, Avril and Graham for their Good Luck wishes with regards my interview.

Think it went OK, but now have to wait until Tuesday to find out if I've been successful.🤞

Had a nice meal out beforehand, my daughter went for sausages and mash while Mum and I chose tiger prawns with chilli and garlic butter, but as I was driving stuck to a soft drink, but will make up for the missed wine intake this evening!!

20211113_125737.jpg

20211113_125903.jpg

Prayers 🙏 

Edited by grapau27

1 hour ago, purplesea said:

Thank you again to all of you who wished me good luck for my interview yesterday, but it was in vain!

I've had an e-mail this morning saying that I was unsuccessful. Oh, well never mind, back to the drawing board as they say!!

Sorry to hear that.  Their loss !

Keep your chin up, I'm sure you'll find something.

Without being complacent, and obviously not knowing your circumstances, at the moment there are thousands more vacancies than applicants, so you should be able to pick and choose. 

• Like 4

Its the greyest day imaginable here in Holt. When I collected a newspaper the high street rather than being filled with non highway trained folks was empty. Home made lunch today, the dachsies and I are sharing a turkey crown. They are delighted, already scampering round the oven.

So sorry to hear that - their loss…..

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Your prayers were too late Graham !

Sorry to hear you were not successful this time but hopefully there is a better position waiting for you Purplesea.

Graham.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Watching the cenotaph ceremony started me thinking of when I started watching it in the 60s with lots of ww1 veterans attending, now even very few ww2 veterans around.

I've just seen a stat that 5300 UK service personnel have been killed in combat since ww2 and around 20,000 were killed on only the first day of the battle of the Somme in ww2 unbelievable, imagine that today.

We will remember them.

Sorry that should be 'Somme in ww1', just noticed and couldn't edit.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Sorry that should be 'Somme in ww1', just noticed and couldn't edit.

What made it worse  was that all the young men in whole towns and villages were killed.After that battle they mixed them up for better morale back home,terrible.

Edited by brian1

7 minutes ago, brian1 said:

What made it worse  was that all the young men in whole towns and villages were killed.After that battle they mixed them up for better morale back home,terrible.

I never knew that but understandable. must have been terrible for some communities. 880,000+ UK fighters were killed in ww1 so everyone must have known someone affected. To think that 4 times as many UK service people were killed in a few hours of the Somme than have been killed when on duty for the last 76 years after ww2.

11 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I never knew that but understandable. must have been terrible for some communities. 880,000+ UK fighters were killed in ww1 so everyone must have known someone affected. To think that 4 times as many UK service people were killed in a few hours of the Somme than have been killed when on duty for the last 76 years after ww2.

They called them "pals" regiments,thinking it good for the men but not so back home afterwards.

War - what is it good for?

Absolutely nothing

🎶 

as per this vid

I’ve not posted for a few days, so thought I’d better check in.  All is well here.  Very mild.  Lovely autumn colours - who needs New England?

Did I spot Azura in Weymouth Bay this morning?  Company for Aurora & the Cunard, which seem to be permanent residents

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

War - what is it good for?

Absolutely nothing

🎶 

as per this vid

I’ve not posted for a few days, so thought I’d better check in.  All is well here.  Very mild.  Lovely autumn colours - who needs New England?

Did I spot Azura in Weymouth Bay this morning?  Company for Aurora & the Cunard, which seem to be permanent residents

Can see where you are coming from but I do think (sadly) that there are times when people have to stand up against evil --- Hitler comes in to that category. Heard a clip of Churchill speaking about the Battle of Britain today -- it made me go cold. There was no choice in WW2, the man was pure evil and peace and compromise was not an option. (Easy to say I know when I didn't live it --- but those words came  from my late parents who did).

Respect to all of those who have died in any conflict (and the families left behind). Their sacrifice should never be forgotten and it is good to see schools continuing to tell the children what it is all about.

• Like 8