P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

The double glazing is installed - after 5 months. So now cosy for winter. Joined the Tesco xmas order queue this morning, only 182,223 in front of me, 70 minutes later I was at the front and ordered all the special stuff. Thinks it will soon be Easter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ccpm said:

Not a good day so far. 8.10am odd neighbour ringing my doorbell off the hook. Opened door and a volley of nasty verbal abuse. Won't bother folks here with it. Seems a skip was delivered outside his house so I am "yet again" rubbing his nose in it. Why, what for? Good question it isn't anything to do with me. In the end had to get the police. Only too aware it was a waste of their time. When they came they just could not get any sense out of him and he was violent towards them so was arrested. I just don't know what to do I was taking on board advice to take 5 before considering a move. Still am but blimey.

Doesn’t sound like a pleasant neighbour, he might have learnt(hopefully) to be nicer next time after getting arrested 

Michelle 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Been doing my family history since 1980, a lot easier now with the advent of online database, but I still visit archives to find stuff that won’t be online like the indictment for my great x 7 great uncle convicted for stealing 2 geese, and tried to blame his dog. Transported to Van Diemans Land for 7 years, never made it as died from fever on the ship Alexander in Portsmouth Harbour before it set sail as part of the First Fleet of convicts to be sent down under. Left a pregnant wife and 5 children behind.  

Another ancestor was Chaplain to Bishop John Hacket, Bishop of Lichfield from 1661 who oversaw restoration of Lichfield Cathedral after the Civil War. For his work with the Bishop he was personally awarded a Doctorate by King Charles II.

Finding ancestors names is one step, expanding their story is the next. 

Wow, that’s amazing 

Michelle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Been doing my family history since 1980, a lot easier now with the advent of online database, but I still visit archives to find stuff that won’t be online like the indictment for my great x 7 great uncle convicted for stealing 2 geese, and tried to blame his dog. Transported to Van Diemans Land for 7 years, never made it as died from fever on the ship Alexander in Portsmouth Harbour before it set sail as part of the First Fleet of convicts to be sent down under. Left a pregnant wife and 5 children behind.  

Another ancestor was Chaplain to Bishop John Hacket, Bishop of Lichfield from 1661 who oversaw restoration of Lichfield Cathedral after the Civil War. For his work with the Bishop he was personally awarded a Doctorate by King Charles II.

Let that be a lesson for everyone.Wash your hands before going to the buffet.Saga sail from Portsmouth I heard.

• Like 1

Ooh thanks all just popped on here to take 5. Not heard what happened at all. Myself and the dachsies have been in doors all day I just didn't want to go out.

Less than 3 weeks to cruise time. Dachsies were going to stay with their breeder but manna from heaven she has asked if she and her 4 woofs could stay here, have a break. Win, win. 

Only bit of drama has been the emails from Premier Inn one minute cancelling my room, I get on the phone "no ma'am it was a mistake". That has been 4 times. I have stopped laughing and "Call me Brian" has too. Upshot room is now free of charge. I would rather it was £500 and secure. Not so sure that makes me anymore confident but hey ho.

Admin left to do is print off all paperwork and get the post cruise LFT ordered so i can fill in the PLF. I have not had my cabin allocated yet, Saver Fare is new to me but fine.

Graham if you read this will you tell Pauline her suggestions for shoe accessories are all bought and with me and thank her very much for her advice. Plus a trip to John Lewis in Norwich a dress or 2 fell into my hands and are cruise bound.

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

That is interesting.

We went up to stay with my mother's cousin in Newcastle and while there had arranged to meet someone connected to my tree. When we met up he recognised my mother's cousin. It turned out they used to work on the buses together as well as being related!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ccpm said:

Not a good day so far. 8.10am odd neighbour ringing my doorbell off the hook. Opened door and a volley of nasty verbal abuse. Won't bother folks here with it. Seems a skip was delivered outside his house so I am "yet again" rubbing his nose in it. Why, what for? Good question it isn't anything to do with me. In the end had to get the police. Only too aware it was a waste of their time. When they came they just could not get any sense out of him and he was violent towards them so was arrested. I just don't know what to do I was taking on board advice to take 5 before considering a move. Still am but blimey.

Hi Emma. He sounds like a fruitloop to me, or to use the correct form of address - has mental health problems. That's pretty odd behaviour and I don't like the sound of his violence. Try to keep your distance as much as you can. Make sure you're safe indoors and teach the dachsies to go for the ankles. With regard to taking 5 - only you know how this latest upset will leave you feeling. You've got your holiday to look forward to so think it over while you're away - you'll know. Keep well and stay safe. Best wishes. Jane.x 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

How awful for you. You've obviously been unlucky enough to find the village idiot🤪.

Please don't let this incident ruin things for you. I've read all you posts and the posts since you've moved showed how happy and content you are there, don't let anyone or anything ruin that for you. Take a calming breath, a comforting glass or two🍷😉 and move forward.

I actually wasn't going to spoil my manners and say this, but what the heck............Stuff him!!😁

Avril

+1

2 hours ago, ccpm said:

Ooh thanks all just popped on here to take 5. Not heard what happened at all. Myself and the dachsies have been in doors all day I just didn't want to go out.

Less than 3 weeks to cruise time. Dachsies were going to stay with their breeder but manna from heaven she has asked if she and her 4 woofs could stay here, have a break. Win, win. 

Only bit of drama has been the emails from Premier Inn one minute cancelling my room, I get on the phone "no ma'am it was a mistake". That has been 4 times. I have stopped laughing and "Call me Brian" has too. Upshot room is now free of charge. I would rather it was £500 and secure. Not so sure that makes me anymore confident but hey ho.

Admin left to do is print off all paperwork and get the post cruise LFT ordered so i can fill in the PLF. I have not had my cabin allocated yet, Saver Fare is new to me but fine.

Graham if you read this will you tell Pauline her suggestions for shoe accessories are all bought and with me and thank her very much for her advice. Plus a trip to John Lewis in Norwich a dress or 2 fell into my hands and are cruise bound.

Pauline said I bet you look gorgeous and I agree.

We hope you have a fantastic cruise.

G&P 

18 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Actually all this stuff is online now. I wrote a book during lockdown on the Georgian & Regency history of my town and found all Australian convict records, local gaol & cort records and the Old Bailey records all available via Ancestry, which has been free to use at home via my local library, since the pandemic.

• Like 1

Lovely sunny day down here today, and the temp is still in double figures.

Rang surgery yesterday about flu jab and was told there were not appointments, then got put through to receptionist who said they had walk in sessions on Saturdays. So will head up there on Saturday and get mine.

Meeting a friend, that I haven't seen for a while, for coffee this afternoon. Will be good to have a natter and catch up after so long.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 3

Thank you for your advice and good wishes. Don't know if the problem next door may be getting ??solved but the lad from the Estate Agents who sold me my house is there now. Not seen hide nor hair of Mr Nasty.

Concentrating on the cruise but as yet no cabin allocated. Good news no cancellation email from Premier Inns either, much I am sure to both mine and "Call me Brian's" relief.

Not doing much today as Dachsies have a block booking at the Vets as they are all scratching away like  mad things. The vet receptionist was delighted they are going in. Me not so much We will have a tense 30minutes while I try to coral them into their car crates and they will let me know just how much they don't appreciate it. The tables will turn at the other end when they act as if they never want to leave the same crates.

Just another day in retiree land.

18 minutes ago, ccpm said:

Thank you for your advice and good wishes. Don't know if the problem next door may be getting ??solved but the lad from the Estate Agents who sold me my house is there now. Not seen hide nor hair of Mr Nasty.

Concentrating on the cruise but as yet no cabin allocated. Good news no cancellation email from Premier Inns either, much I am sure to both mine and "Call me Brian's" relief.

Not doing much today as Dachsies have a block booking at the Vets as they are all scratching away like  mad things. The vet receptionist was delighted they are going in. Me not so much We will have a tense 30minutes while I try to coral them into their car crates and they will let me know just how much they don't appreciate it. The tables will turn at the other end when they act as if they never want to leave the same crates.

Just another day in retiree land.

Maybe Mr Nasty was having breakfast at the expense of the local constabulary. His behaviour and subsequent arrest show that you were justified in calling the police.

12 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

Actually all this stuff is online now. I wrote a book during lockdown on the Georgian & Regency history of my town and found all Australian convict records, local gaol & court records and the Old Bailey records all available via Ancestry, which has been free to use at home via my local library, since the pandemic.

Around 80% of UK records held in archives are not available online, including a number of those records I mentioned in my post. 

Perhaps I am luckier in my area as most of the old maps from enclosure onwards have also been digitised and are available online with an overlay function which is particularly useful. I was allowed to borrow copies of enclosure and tithe apportionments and compile accompanying land ownership/occupier records. I was able to follow one villager, Luke Spear, right through from his arrest for horse stealing in 1837. Spear was tried at the Somerset County Assizes, convicted and sentenced to transportation for life. On 4 May he arrived at the prison hulk Leviathan at Portsmouth to await his fate. On 2 November 1837, he was taken in irons on board the convict ship Emma Eugenia commanded by Captain Wade and transported to New South Wales, Australia. He arrived some three months later and was taken to Parramatta Gaol. He was moved around various prisons and in 1844 spent twelve months hard labour in a chain-gang for attempted robbery. Despite being granted tickets of leave in 1847, 1850 and 1851, he carried on a life of crime and twenty years later appeared in the New South Wales Police Gazette for stealing a saddle. In August 1876 he was tried for vagrancy and was committed to Liverpool Asylum near Sydney. By then he had lost all the fingers off his right hand and bore the scars of flogging on his back. In November he died from injuries received by throwing himself from a window. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Host Sharon said:

Perhaps I am luckier in my area as most of the old maps from enclosure onwards have also been digitised and are available online with an overlay function which is particularly useful. I was allowed to borrow copies of enclosure and tithe apportionments and compile accompanying land ownership/occupier records. I was able to follow one villager, Luke Spear, right through from his arrest for horse stealing in 1837. Spear was tried at the Somerset County Assizes, convicted and sentenced to transportation for life. On 4 May he arrived at the prison hulk Leviathan at Portsmouth to await his fate. On 2 November 1837, he was taken in irons on board the convict ship Emma Eugenia commanded by Captain Wade and transported to New South Wales, Australia. He arrived some three months later and was taken to Parramatta Gaol. He was moved around various prisons and in 1844 spent twelve months hard labour in a chain-gang for attempted robbery. Despite being granted tickets of leave in 1847, 1850 and 1851, he carried on a life of crime and twenty years later appeared in the New South Wales Police Gazette for stealing a saddle. In August 1876 he was tried for vagrancy and was committed to Liverpool Asylum near Sydney. By then he had lost all the fingers off his right hand and bore the scars of flogging on his back. In November he died from injuries received by throwing himself from a window. 

There's no helping some people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning.

It is 16°F and sunny this morning.

Pauline has popped in to church to write in several names into the church memorial book.

Yesterday I went to hospital dermatology department about my BCC.

I expected to get it cut out but the consultant had a quick look took some details and said he would book me in after Christmas ☹️ which was disappointing and I said I thought it was being done then but he said no.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

Graham.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Pauline has popped in to church to write in several names into the church memorial book.

I expected to get it cut out but the consultant had a quick look took some details and said he would book me in after Christmas ☹️ which was disappointing and I said I thought it was being done then but he said no.

Graham.

Sorry to hear that the procedure did not go ahead Graham. But, hopefully the delay means it is nothing to be too concerned about.

Gill x

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

I had the opposite last year, went in to see the Plastic Surgeon she took one look and said it is a BCC and could cut it out there and there in her surgery (room). It caught me out as I previously thought that it just a freckle so I declined at the time, but after only a couple of days I took her advice and arranged for the procedure to take place a month later. Trouble was this time it wasn't in a surgery consultant room but gowned and in a operating theatre with monitors and 6 people in attendance!!! Seemed a bit OTT.

After the procedure they gave me the option of following it up with a course of self applied chemotherapy cream for my forehead as a Actinic keratoses (solar keratoses) was biopsied at the same time that could develop into BCC. At the time I declined as it can cause very red and sore skin over the area applied (forehead) and I wanted the procedure scar to heal properly first. I've kept putting the decision off but recently I have had a few crusty areas develop, even though it has had zero sun exposure for over a year, so I'm reconsidering going down the chemo cream route. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

Graham.

Sorry it didn’t go ahead Graham. At least you are “in the loop” and hopefully will get it sorted over the next few weeks.

A cloudy dull day here,  taken my mum to M & S this morning and just back from walking the dogs. They are now waiting eagerly for their lunchtime snack. 
Hope everyone is well today & staying safe

Michelle

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Sorry it didn’t go ahead Graham. At least you are “in the loop” and hopefully will get it sorted over the next few weeks.

A cloudy dull day here,  taken my mum to M & S this morning and just back from walking the dogs. They are now waiting eagerly for their lunchtime snack. 
Hope everyone is well today & staying safe

Michelle

Thank you Michelle.

Pauline is happily making a big lunch with salmon and lots of vegetables.

Graham.