P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, Purdey16 said:

Glad you’re enjoying your cruise Phil and meeting lots of lovely people, Vancouver is a beautiful place and one of our favourites.

My experience of Vancouver was a blur literally.Running for a HOHO bus in torrential rain I stepped on an aluminium expansion joint on the pier.With my rubber soled hikers I did a backward half somersault and landed on my head.Laying there semi conscious the mention of an ambulance , a curtailed cruise and thousands of dollars made me get up and stumble to the bus.I still thought I was in Alaska for the 1st half hour of the tour.Without even getting off we got back to the ship an hour later still chucking it down.A cup of tea helped me recover,lol.Shame, it could have been a nice experience in better weather and circumstances.

• Like 8

20 hours ago, zap99 said:

If it works out, carry on bags for the next long weekend.

A long weekend - easy.

When I fly down to the Canary Islands to spend a month or two away in the winter I never take anything more than a carry on bag.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Happy Birthday to your mum, it’s sounds like you have had a lovely morning celebrating 🎂🥂

Michelle

Thank you, she had a visit from my son and grandson in the afternoon and then we’re all going out for lunch on Sunday. My sister was invited but she’s swanning off to Santorini tomorrow 🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

A long weekend - easy.

When I fly down to the Canary Islands to spend a month or two away in the winter I never take anything more than a carry on bag.

Can't beat those naturist holidays.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Windy & grey down here today, had a light spot of rain last night. Well ds is off on his first flight today, going to Rhodes with his gf. Flying from Bristol, she lives near bath, he’s a worrier & it seems she’s been overpacking because I’ve had messages back & forth about her luggage weight. She’s now taken out her shampoo etc & hopefully she’ll be able get what she needs at boots once through! I think I’ll still to cruising from Southampton if I ever go anywhere again , can’t be doing with that hassle. 😅

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Caullkhead said:

Windy & grey down here today, had a light spot of rain last night. Well ds is off on his first flight today, going to Rhodes with his gf. Flying from Bristol, she lives near bath, he’s a worrier & it seems she’s been overpacking because I’ve had messages back & forth about her luggage weight. She’s now taken out her shampoo etc & hopefully she’ll be able get what she needs at boots once through! I think I’ll still to cruising from Southampton if I ever go anywhere again , can’t be doing with that hassle. 😅

Yep I hate those airport carousels as well.

Don’t you just hate that situation when you’re picking up your bags at the airport, and everyone’s luggage  seems to be  better than yours.

A worst case scenario.🙃

• Haha 10

12 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Or worse, everyone else's is there but yours isn't.

Happen to me twice, first time on a business trip returning from Prague, luggage went to Madrid should have been Heathrow, the second time via Jet2 when returning from Lyon to Manchester, someone else pickup my case. 

In both cases luggage was found and courier to me by Airlines although service from Jet2 was poor, they didn’t want to know, but Manchester Airport sorted it out and got Jet2 to courier it to me, they initially wanted me to go to Manchester to collect it. The service from BA was first class 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Thank you, she had a visit from my son and grandson in the afternoon and then we’re all going out for lunch on Sunday. My sister was invited but she’s swanning off to Santorini tomorrow 🙄

Sounds like she has had a lovely day. Have a nice time Sunday too

Michelle

• Like 2

I had not heard of sizzling pubs, so looked them up.  Two within about 8 miles of me; both with identical menus and wine lists which sound great and cheap, and both getting one star reviews!  That is a shame, I would have tried one out otherwise.  Is the chain going down, or just two badly run ones in my area?  The reviews were really scathing, and each had at least four, citing cleanliness, late and cold food, and poor attitude of staff!

Just checking my e-mails and my energy company has informed me that as from 

July 1st they are lowering my tariffs and I can expect to save over £400 !!!

Light at the end of the tunnel at last !

Memo to self ..Turn that light off when I get to other end of tunnel 🙃

• Haha 13

33 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I had not heard of sizzling pubs, so looked them up.  Two within about 8 miles of me; both with identical menus and wine lists which sound great and cheap, and both getting one star reviews!  That is a shame, I would have tried one out otherwise.  Is the chain going down, or just two badly run ones in my area?  The reviews were really scathing, and each had at least four, citing cleanliness, late and cold food, and poor attitude of staff!

I think that you are perhaps just unlucky,  I  have just taken a look at the website and there are 8 within a few miles of us and none have bad reviews.  It was our first visit to one but when I was out bowling last night I was telling the other ladies about how nice our meal had been and all 7 of them said that they have visited several and had good food. The only exception was one lady had been to one in Newcastle-under-Lyme and said that particular one should be avoided but none of the others had been there so couldn't comment.

I suppose a lot depends on how well the managers run them.

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

Happen to me twice, first time on a business trip returning from Prague, luggage went to Madrid should have been Heathrow, the second time via Jet2 when returning from Lyon to Manchester, someone else pickup my case. 

In both cases luggage was found and courier to me by Airlines although service from Jet2 was poor, they didn’t want to know, but Manchester Airport sorted it out and got Jet2 to courier it to me, they initially wanted me to go to Manchester to collect it. The service from BA was first class 

It's happened to me twice as well, and I rarely fly, so I think I've been very unlucky.

First time was when we were returning from Orlando. We checked our cases in at Downtown Disney, and only one appeared at Gatwick. The remaining one was couriered to us the following day, having enjoyed a side trip to Boston

The other time was when we flew from Heathrow to Munich for a river cruise.  One case didn't arrive.  I was told that the case was already on it's way, and with German efficiency it was delivered to the river boat before we sailed that evening.

After having those experiences, it's just one of the many reasons that I won't fly again. 

• Like 1

We have another lovely  warm sunny day, but I have only just found time to sit and look on this site. 

I had to pay a visit to the Mazda dealer this morning because the remote key fob for the car decided to play up last night.  I had 2 other ladies with me to take home we finished bowling and when I got to the car it wouldn't open so I had to open it using the spare key which that only opens the driver's door so I had to lean over the seat to unlock one of the back doors and the front passenger door.  The wonderful service receptionist told me that I should have brought the key in to have the battery replaced before it ran out.

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

My family think that it is hilarious that I used to refuse to travel with BA because my luggage invariably went missing with them.  My sister and her husband came to pick my husband and I up from Manchester after a holiday in USA once and her husband thought that we has missed the plane but she told him that we would be out once we had reported our bags as missing,   Needless to say she was right.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have another lovely  warm sunny day, but I have only just found time to sit and look on this site. 

I had to pay a visit to the Mazda dealer this morning because the remote key fob for the car decided to play up last night.  I had 2 other ladies with me to take home we finished bowling and when I got to the car it wouldn't open so I had to open it using the spare key which that only opens the driver's door so I had to lean over the seat to unlock one of the back doors and the front passenger door.  The wonderful service receptionist told me that I should have brought the key in to have the battery replaced before it ran out.

Next time use your head ! 

I had same thing a few years ago and was told to hold key to my head at the side of the car .

It worked ...  https://youtu.be/wrOrdcVBEd4

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

I think that you are perhaps just unlucky,  I  have just taken a look at the website and there are 8 within a few miles of us and none have bad reviews.  It was our first visit to one but when I was out bowling last night I was telling the other ladies about how nice our meal had been and all 7 of them said that they have visited several and had good food. The only exception was one lady had been to one in Newcastle-under-Lyme and said that particular one should be avoided but none of the others had been there so couldn't comment.

I suppose a lot depends on how well the managers run them.

A case of FOMO - my closest Sizzling Pub is 66.1 miles away! 

• Haha 1

Thanks for the messages regarding the pubs - I haven't been to one, and now won't!  Not to these anyway.    But good to know that it is just bad pot luck.  We do have a really nice pub not far away, which has interesting home cooked food, good wine and a lovely atmosphere, but of course is a bit pricier than the sizzling ones.

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

My family think that it is hilarious that I used to refuse to travel with BA because my luggage invariably went missing with them.  My sister and her husband came to pick my husband and I up from Manchester after a holiday in USA once and her husband thought that we has missed the plane but she told him that we would be out once we had reported our bags as missing,   Needless to say she was right.

I racked up a few air miles with BA, only once did the luggage go missing, apparently it was a result of a problem with ground staff at Prague airport as I was not the only one to have my bags go missing on that flight. 

Apparently we used to have 2 sizzling pubs, one was closed after receiving a Hygiene Rating of 1, was taken over by Greene King, much improved as a non sizzling pub, with a young couple managing it and getting the community involved. The other is still open but has mixed reviews, never been and looking at menus probably won’t be going either. 

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

The Sizzling pubs down here tend to get overrun with large families due to the cheap pricing. 

Mayhem, a bit like Ventura during school holidays... 😂

Andy 

We’re going to be on Ventura in the summer holidays 🥴 fortunately we’ve paid for the Retreat for the fortnight!

• Like 9