P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

12 minutes ago, Beckett said:

@brian1 Good luck for tonight Brian. Fingers crossed for you. Jane xx

I’ll second that & same goes to @AndyMichelle & any other Hammers on here.

Crazy that the final is in a stadium that holds just over 19k fans. It feels to me that UEFA & final hosts are happier pushing thousands of supporters into fan zones to watch on a screen rather than in the flesh. West Ham only got 5k tickets, apparently even Ray Winstone didn’t get one!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, DamianG said:

Crazy that the final is in a stadium that holds just over 19k fans. It feels to me that UEFA & final hosts are happier pushing thousands of supporters into fan zones to watch on a screen rather than in the flesh. West Ham only got 5k tickets, apparently even Ray Winstone didn’t get one!

I wouldn't have liked to be the one to tell him he couldn't go!

Sorry Andy, I didn't realise you were a WH fan so good luck to you and, as Damian said, all WH fans on here too.

Still with the sporting theme I've just seen on TV that there are calls for a knighthood for Rob Burrow and Kevin Sinfield in the New Year's Honours List. Having worked in the NHS for many years I came across Motor Neurone Disease more times than I wish to remember. It's a horrible disease and ultimate death and these two guys have done more to highlight it than ever before. Kevin Sinfield has raised over £8million with his marathon runs for more research and MND centres and I would be so happy to see recognition of that - instead of the usual washed- out celebs and ex-footballers who usually get them!

Have a great day everyone. Jane xxx

• Like 15

Morning everyone, hope everyone is keeping well.

A bit more breezy down here this morning, but still sunny.

I'm being taken shopping this morning in Truro by youngest daughter to buy walking boots, I think she might be trying to tell me something!! 

Enjoy your day.

Pam 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Sorry Andy, I didn't realise you were a WH fan so good luck to you and, as Damian said, all WH fans on here too.

Still with the sporting theme I've just seen on TV that there are calls for a knighthood for Rob Burrow and Kevin Sinfield in the New Year's Honours List. Having worked in the NHS for many years I came across Motor Neurone Disease more times than I wish to remember. It's a horrible disease and ultimate death and these two guys have done more to highlight it than ever before. Kevin Sinfield has raised over £8million with his marathon runs for more research and MND centres and I would be so happy to see recognition of that - instead of the usual washed- out celebs and ex-footballers who usually get them!

A knighthood for doing something good for other people? It will never catch on.

• Haha 9

5 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I know, I know. I can be so naive sometimes. J x

As your from a medical background Jane  .... 

Did you know, that if you take all of the football refs organs and spread them out on a football field.

You would get arrested 🙃
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

@brian1 Good luck for tonight Brian. Fingers crossed for you. Jane xx

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I have seen that the match is being streamed live on You Tube for free tonight..

https://www.youtube.com/live/CdYm97VcHZs?feature=share       

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

Thanks guys, utube says "not available in your country".9 pm kick off here.Trying to persuade the mrs to go to our local bar with me.Bit late for her.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beckett said:

Michelle and I once sat with both of them at a Leeds Rhinos club dinner years ago, Rob joined us for the first course and Kevin for the main and dessert. Both fantastic, humble and down to earth regular chaps. Kevin insisted on staying at the table until the last guest left (long after a lot of the other players had already said their goodbyes). Fans were asking Michelle if it was okay if they could interrupt and have a photo with Kevin!

I also met Kevin at a shirt signing a few years later and he had time for a chat with everyone (including me).

Friends of ours went to Rob's testimonial dinner and were met at the door by him. He stood there meeting and greeting every single guest before dinner was served.

Both just great people.

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 12

11 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Thanks guys, utube says "not available in your country".9 pm kick off here.Trying to persuade the mrs to go to our local bar with me.Bit late for her.

Pity you haven't got VPN installed , click to UK and you would be sorted .

With it been a bit to late for your Mrs I think you need to think what Micky Flanigan would do ?

I think you should tell her you don't mind if she want an early night and being the 

reasonable man that you are ,you don't mind going down to the pub on your own.

It's not like your going out,out , your only going out for the footie match !

Granted you may have a drink or two but promise not to come in and disturb her slumber

with your West Ham Footie songs . Ask if she would like to be woken though as she 

may want to get outta bed and knock you a bit of supper together .

Wives can so understanding in situations like this 😏

Good luck for tonight Brian !

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, kalos said:

Pity you haven't got VPN installed , click to UK and you would be sorted .

With it been a bit to late for your Mrs I think you need to think what Micky Flanigan would do ?

I think you should tell her you don't mind if she want an early night and being the 

reasonable man that you are ,you don't mind going down to the pub on your own.

It's not like your going out,out , your only going out for the footie match !

Granted you may have a drink or two but promise not to come in and disturb her slumber

with your West Ham Footie songs . Ask if she would like to be woken though as she 

may want to get outta bed and knock you a bit of supper together .

Wives can so understanding in situations like this 😏

Good luck for tonight Brian !

Our friends from Boston Lincs came over yesterday so we went out for dinner and the usual loads of drinks.They've got this dodgy firestick with 100s of channels on it.Might borrow it tonight,felt a bit groggy this morning,don't really fancy another heavy session,lol.OTOH though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Our friends from Boston Lincs came over yesterday so we went out for dinner and the usual loads of drinks.They've got this dodgy firestick with 100s of channels on it.Might borrow it tonight,felt a bit groggy this morning,don't really fancy another heavy session,lol.OTOH though.

If you borrow the Firestick, make sure you borrow the remote for it too. Take it from someone who knows... 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, DamianG said:

Michelle and I once sat with both of them at a Leeds Rhinos club dinner years ago, Rob joined us for the first course and Kevin for the main and dessert. Both fantastic, humble and down to earth regular chaps. Kevin insisted on staying at the table until the last guest left (long after a lot of the other players had already said their goodbyes). Fans were asking Michelle if it was okay if they could interrupt and have a photo with Kevin!

I also met Kevin at a shirt signing a few years later and he had time for a chat with everyone (including me).

Friends of ours went to Rob's testimonial dinner and were met at the door by him. He stood there meeting and greeting every single guest before dinner was served.

Both just great people.

Wow! That really is a special memory Damian. I must confess I find it hard to watch Rob now. He's fading fast and I feel a bit ghoulish when I watch him. But good on him for his fight and his determination. As for Kev.....well he's a true hero - a word bandied out so often but so seldom applicable.  Thanks for your memories. Jane xx

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Our friends from Boston Lincs came over yesterday so we went out for dinner and the usual loads of drinks.They've got this dodgy firestick with 100s of channels on it.Might borrow it tonight,felt a bit groggy this morning,don't really fancy another heavy session,lol.OTOH 

I'm sure you'll cope Brian - if necessary! Jane xxx

• Haha 3

We are looking at a cruise on Ventura but having read on here about freedom dining problems I am little concerned.  Are the queuing problems across all ships or just on the newer larger ships ?

Has anyone experienced problems getting a table for 2 in the MDR on Ventura recently or can you just turn up and expect to be seated reasonably quickly ?

I am quite IT savvy having spent my entire working life in IT but some reports are from people who say that they are IT literate but have had problems with system.

A different subject - watching Breakfast the other day someone was telling us how bad for us ready meals are, especially things called emulsifiers, which are very bad for you and in lots of ready meals.  I thought, well I should pay attention as being now on my own I confess to using some ready or part prepared meals.  Surprise surprise - the ready to cook chicken tikka kebabs (very tasty) only contain things you would find in your fridge or cupboard, but the wholemeal seeded bread and other breads did have them.  This may only apply to wrapped sliced loaves, but it was a bit of a shock to find that something we all eat, which should be healthy, is no such thing.

It was an experiment with identical twin girls, who had the same foods for a fortnight, one with only fresh ingredients and the other with the manufactured things.  The difference in their blood tests etc. was amazing, even after only two weeks, and one lost weight and the other gained - you can guess which.  The idea is to try to reduce the amount of obesity around nowadays, plus promoting good health and saving  money for the NHS.

It is certainly a good idea to look at ingredients, which do all have to be listed, and at least try to make good choices.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lincslady said:

A different subject - watching Breakfast the other day someone was telling us how bad for us ready meals are, especially things called emulsifiers, which are very bad for you and in lots of ready meals.  I thought, well I should pay attention as being now on my own I confess to using some ready or part prepared meals.  Surprise surprise - the ready to cook chicken tikka kebabs (very tasty) only contain things you would find in your fridge or cupboard, but the wholemeal seeded bread and other breads did have them.  This may only apply to wrapped sliced loaves, but it was a bit of a shock to find that something we all eat, which should be healthy, is no such thing.

It was an experiment with identical twin girls, who had the same foods for a fortnight, one with only fresh ingredients and the other with the manufactured things.  The difference in their blood tests etc. was amazing, even after only two weeks, and one lost weight and the other gained - you can guess which.  The idea is to try to reduce the amount of obesity around nowadays, plus promoting good health and saving  money for the NHS.

It is certainly a good idea to look at ingredients, which do all have to be listed, and at least try to make good choices.

I make all my own bread. If you look at the ingredients of ready made then the amount of salt alone would be off putting far less the other added ingredients.

Same with sweeteners. I would much rather have full fat natural Greek yogurt than the “low fat” versions with nasty sweeteners. The same is true of a lot of low fat items which replace the natural fats with artificial sweeteners which can cause no end of issues.

Food in its most natural state is best. The problem is many don’t know how to cook basic things anymore and buy ready made or take away much too often. They are fine occasionally but not as a staple diet.

• Like 5

After going shopping in Truro this morning, for walking boots, we headed out towards St. Agnes and Wheal Coates and followed the coastal path along and walked down to Chapel Porth beach where we had lunch. After lunch it was decided we would go plodding before we made our way back up to the car.

Here's a few pictures. (Goodness only knows why some ot them are upside down🤷‍♀️)

20230607_112250.jpg

20230607_112751.jpg

20230607_121632.jpg

20230607_123034.jpg

20230607_122938.jpg

20230607_131228.jpg

• Like 14

6 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We are looking at a cruise on Ventura but having read on here about freedom dining problems I am little concerned.  Are the queuing problems across all ships or just on the newer larger ships ?

Has anyone experienced problems getting a table for 2 in the MDR on Ventura recently or can you just turn up and expect to be seated reasonably quickly ?

I am quite IT savvy having spent my entire working life in IT but some reports are from people who say that they are IT literate but have had problems with system.

We would like to know this one too. 

We docked in Victoria BC today, it wasn't on the schedule but Canadian gov decided they wanted to inspect the ship. Bit of a bonus for us as we are here till midnight so got to mooch around in the evening. Cracking weather too. We had a glorious day at Hubbard a couple of days ago. This stage of the cruise ends tomorrow for the majority of pax, but not for us. All in all a great cruise to date.

• Like 14