P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Just now, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandra.

I hope you are feeling better now and having an amazing cruise.

Thank you graham and yes I’m a lot better the swelling has gone down from my knees and the bruises which are all over are changing from black to yellow now so another couple of days and should be gone 🤞

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Hi we have had F729 twice and F728. We love our aft balconies. The cabin we have booked is next door to you to the left looking aft. Would ours get the extra space? Am trying to imagine what you mean

Ours had 2 glass partition but all the other balconies below had only 1 as did cabins either side of us.

The cabin on D deck above us seemed to have a bigger balcony.

IMG_20230604_224951.jpg

IMG_20230606_070525.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Presto2 said:

Thanks will check it out but am guessing they ate all gone now but pretty sure now that aft view is still amazing 

This photo of the aft shows the 5 foot barrier in the middle and how the balconies from deck 10 up have the extra space.

The aft views were amazing 

IMG-20230611-WA0000.jpg

IMG_20230605_060921.jpg

IMG_20230605_060131.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Unusual, but not unheard of.  We've had that happen once or twice.

We had that on Britannia in October. TBH we don't care who the driver is as long as they don't hit anything .

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

This photo of the aft shows the 5 foot barrier in the middle and how the balconies from deck 10 up have the extra space.

The aft views were amazing 

IMG-20230611-WA0000.jpg

IMG_20230605_060921.jpg

IMG_20230605_060131.jpg

Ah gotcha. Oh well I'm only little so will have to share with hubby who has long legs. We didn't book the one near the white thing in the middle as we weren't sure what it was

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Ah gotcha. Oh well I'm only little so will have to share with hubby who has long legs. We didn't book the one near the white thing in the middle as we weren't sure what it was

I think they are storage cupboards but we heard no noise and there is a 5 feet gap between cabins and the extra space on Deck 10 balcony for 739 and 738 was worth it.

The cabins above us have the extra balcony space too where the cupboard is between cabins.

Deck 8 and 9 have the 5 foot gap between balconies as well hence the solid white block on deck plan and standard balcony size.

Edited by grapau27
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have just had a 10 minute power cut curtesy of lightening.  Our British

Gas hub seems to have a problem coming back on so it could be cold showers tomorrow  morning unless it sorts itself out. EEEK

Think it is heading our way North as the sky is black towards Hanley. 

• Like 1

Docked at icy straight today, we cruised Tracy arm yesterday, I always loved cruising the fjords but Tracy arm is fabulous. We have walked into hoonah this morning, it is still wil and wonderful, plenty of wildlife butno whales feeding this time. The ship is almost full this cruise with more younger people, however the ship doesn't feel to busy. Only just over a week left, not sure where the last month has gone.

• Like 12

12 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Think it is heading our way North as the sky is black towards Hanley. 

Same here, we thought that it was heading  north  towards you but it has come back to us in the south of the city.

We have had a power cut that seems to have done something our boiler so it could be cold showers tomorrow morning. eeeek

Just now, Josy1953 said:

Same here, we thought that it was heading  north  towards you but it has come back to us in the south of the city.

We have had a power cut that seems to have done something our boiler so it could be cold showers tomorrow morning. eeeek

Funny coloured sky here but you are right it is heading back ............. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We have just had a 10 minute power cut curtesy of lightening.  Our British

Gas hub seems to have a problem coming back on so it could be cold showers tomorrow  morning unless it sorts itself out. EEEK

It passed to the North East of us Shropshire we could hear thunder in distance and the off flash of lightning on the horizon, but we have had the rain, it’s still raining now.

We had the storm yesterday evening, a few flickering lights but no power cut, although only a mile away Asda lost power and had to close as did McDonalds and a couple of hundred people lost powe for a few hours.

Mind you the benefit was that that’s 2 nights I haven’t had to water the hanging & wall baskets the pots and troughs, my potatoes growing in their bags and the raised beds, usually takes me around 40 mins with watering cans it 20 mins if I use the hose. 

• Like 3

I have been awake since 4 o'clock thanks to the birds, they definitely have a faulty alarm clock.  The heating hub has corrected itself this morning so no cold showers thank goodness.  I have been outside to put the washing on the line to dry and it is already 17°c so it looks like we could have another warm day.

• Like 8

On 6/9/2023 at 12:47 PM, Snow Hill said:

Happen to me twice, first time on a business trip returning from Prague, luggage went to Madrid should have been Heathrow, the second time via Jet2 when returning from Lyon to Manchester, someone else pickup my case. 

In both cases luggage was found and courier to me by Airlines although service from Jet2 was poor, they didn’t want to know, but Manchester Airport sorted it out and got Jet2 to courier it to me, they initially wanted me to go to Manchester to collect it. The service from BA was first class 

If you are concerned about luggage going missing, then if you use an iPhone I recommend getting an AirTag to put inside each suitcase.

For anyone who hasn't used them, these are the size of a large button and are small transmitters with replaceable batteries (that last a couple of years) that rely on everyone else's iPhone to report where they are (if you use an iPhone then, like it or not, your phone will listen out for any AirTags near you will then report its location back to Apple - there is no 'opt out').

That means at the airport you can actually 'see' if your bag has arrived at the aircraft you are sat on, and when you arrive you can 'see' when it is offloaded and approaching the conveyor belt, and with the additional short range transmitter in them, you can also 'see' when it is just about to pop out from behind the curtain onto the belt so you can step up to grab it at the right time.

And if it all goes horribly wrong and your suitcase is sent to Timbuktu then you will know it is in Timbuktu even if the airline tells you that it is in London, Paris, New York, or wherever.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have been awake since 4 o'clock thanks to the birds, they definitely have a faulty alarm clock.  The heating hub has corrected itself this morning so no cold showers thank goodness.  I have been outside to put the washing on the line to dry and it is already 17°c so it looks like we could have another warm day.

If your boiler is like mine its internal clock is regulated by the national radio time signal, just like the new wall clock I bought recently. Any interference can cause the setting to go wrong and a lot of devices only do a time check once a day, usually during the early hours. After which it should be synchronised again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9265359 said:

If you are concerned about luggage going missing, then if you use an iPhone I recommend getting an AirTag to put inside each suitcase.

For anyone who hasn't used them, these are the size of a large button and are small transmitters with replaceable batteries (that last a couple of years) that rely on everyone else's iPhone to report where they are (if you use an iPhone then, like it or not, your phone will listen out for any AirTags near you will then report its location back to Apple - there is no 'opt out').

That means at the airport you can actually 'see' if your bag has arrived at the aircraft you are sat on, and when you arrive you can 'see' when it is offloaded and approaching the conveyor belt, and with the additional short range transmitter in them, you can also 'see' when it is just about to pop out from behind the curtain onto the belt so you can step up to grab it at the right time.

And if it all goes horribly wrong and your suitcase is sent to Timbuktu then you will know it is in Timbuktu even if the airline tells you that it is in London, Paris, New York, or wherever.

I agree. We bought them a couple of years ago and they are also useful on U.K. sailings as you know for certain that your case is on the ship even if it’s not yet at your cabin door.

Takes away an element of worry for me, I’m not a standard size (particularly for shoes with small feet) and if my baggage got lost I would struggle to get replacements.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I have been awake since 4 o'clock thanks to the birds, they definitely have a faulty alarm clock. 

I notice they seem to do this a lot to you, question is how do they know it's 4am ?

Early bird gets the worm and all that !

I blame the blackbirds they make the most noise at that time of day .

Two Blackbirds are on a tree branch in the middle of the night

Bird 1: "I'm hungry, I'm going to try to find some nice worms  to eat."
Bird 2: "You sure? It's pretty damn dark to find worms ."
Bird 1: "There's no harm in trying."
Bird 2: "Good luck I'm staying here .."

Bird 1 then  flies off into the darkness. Some time passes and the sun begins to rise.

Bird 2 sees his pal flying back with a juicy beak full of blood.
Bird 2: "Wow! Where did you find a feast like that?"

Bird 1: "See that garden shed  over there?"

Bird 2: "Yeah" ....... Bird 1: "Well, I didn't."

Lets remember to keep the birdbaths topped up with cool water and have a good day 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

2 hours ago, 9265359 said:

Google are working on a similar device for Android phones. There are tags available for Samsung Android smartphones but not sure how useful they are compared to the Apple version. 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Google are working on a similar device for Android phones. There are tags available for Samsung Android smartphones but not sure how useful they are compared to the Apple version. 

The difference is that AirTags use virtually every Apple phone out there because Apple phones up to around six years old or so use the latest software.

With Android you might be lucky with a year or two of the latest software, and as it moves on then it is likely they stop doing stuff like this. And so the chance of an AirTag being near a compatible iPhone is high, but the chance of an Android or (even worse) a dedicated Samsung tag being near a compatible phone is far lower.

There have been murmurs of cross platform support for tracking tags, but since Apple and Android phones can’t even exchange text messages using full compatibility, then I wouldn’t hold your breath.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Whenever we have a power cut our central heating timer comes up with an error code and with some trepidation I have to reset by using a cocktail stick to press a small reset switch. I always have some concern that the unit will not reset correctly.

Oh dear..l I have been a bit naughty.. I am spending some of the kids (sorry donkey's) inheritance and going for 8 days intensive physio and hydrotherapy.

I have fought to get my mobility back since the accident in 2019.  I was doing quite well then suddenly the pain got me.. i (probably because of my limping and gait)  it was  a horrendous couple of months, not knowing which bit of me would hurt next, furniture walking and even wall walking.   I'm not a crier, but I could have sunk a liner! Poor OH had all the worry and had to do everything.  Drugs have helped.

Anyway, by accident vascular problems were found and dealt with.

Well being a stubborn old so and so, I need to know the best I can be,  If it is a wheelchair in a year or so, then so be it, I will have a grizzle then come to terms, but at least I will know I have done the best I can.

So I am off tomorrow to  totally focus.  I have requested no visitors.  I will have a complete assessment and know where I stand.     Off to pack.

ps. there are aperitifs, wine with meals, tea and cakes in the afternoon, and manicures, and hairdressing ....   I'll just have to put up with it!!!

See you soon xxx

• Like 19

11 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Oh dear..l I have been a bit naughty.. I am spending some of the kids (sorry donkey's) inheritance and going for 8 days intensive physio and hydrotherapy.

I have fought to get my mobility back since the accident in 2019.  I was doing quite well then suddenly the pain got me.. i (probably because of my limping and gait)  it was  a horrendous couple of months, not knowing which bit of me would hurt next, furniture walking and even wall walking.   I'm not a crier, but I could have sunk a liner! Poor OH had all the worry and had to do everything.  Drugs have helped.

Well being a stubborn old so and so, I need to know the best I can be,  If it is a wheelchair in a year or so, then so be it, I will have a grizzle then come to terms, but at least I will know I have done the best I can.

So I am off tomorrow to  totally focus.  I have requested no visitors.  I will have a complete assessment and know where I stand.     Off to pack.

ps. there are aperitifs, wine with meals, tea and cakes in the afternoon, and manicures, and hairdressing ....   I'll just have to put up with it!!!

See you soon xxx

I really hope this helps you get your mobility back. I know exactly how you are feeling, I had nerve root compression a number of years ago and I was not operated on for six days. I now know i should have been operated on within 24 hours. As a result I have permanent nerve damage down my left side and no reflexes. Add MS diagnosis on too. I know I will be in a wheelchair in the future, we are planning a house move to accommodate my future needs.

Keep us updated how you are doing, fingers crossed for you

Michelle

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

See you soon xxx

I hope you get some of your mobility back.  The place that you are going to sounds like a good p!ace to go.

• Like 4