P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

10 hours ago, purplesea said:

Thank you all for your messages and good wishes for today.

Well it has been dull and dreary down here all day, but boiling up in Plymouth.

We arrived at Derriford Hospital three quarters of an hour before my appointment, but it took fifteen minutes to get into the car park, as it was a case of one car out, one in. I was called from the main waiting room on time, but then sat for an hour in the treatment waiting room. Once they got my mask on and had me lined up for the radiation beams, everything went smoothly. Back home now after meeting the mist half way home, which continued to get thicker the nearer we got to home. It is now foggy here. Now treatment is over, I now to have to wait for about six months for an MRI to see if has been successful🤞 I'm feeling fine but would love to murder a glass of wine, but have been advised not to drink for a week due to the medication I'm on😒 Oh well, it is what it is!

Can someone please send some of the sunshine down here?

Glad to hear that it went as well as it can and fingers crossed for the results down the line.

I would have the same craving for a glass of vino but hang in there and just think how lovely it’s going to be when the time comes!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We frequently see a camera van parked near to us but judging by the number of cars that zoom a long that stretch of road it most be really good money spinner. 

Top tip  for Stokies just don't speed along Lightwood Road between Gravelly Bank and Rough Close Primary School.

I certainly would never dream of doing such a thing if I am ever on that stretch of road (or any other).

12 hours ago, grapau27 said:

The biggest eye opener was braking at 31mph you are still traveling at 8mph while at 30mph you had stopped.

I would suggest the car (and whether it is equipped with AEB - Automatic Emergency Braking)  and the amount of attention the driver is giving to the road is a greater factor as to whether the car is stationary or not.

If anyone has never driven a car with AEB - well the first time it activates you will be shocked. The car 'sees' someone stepping out and the car will *slam* the brakes on as hard as it can with no interaction from the driver. This isn't a mild braking, but a 'throw an anchor out the back' job that will make everyone in the car glad they are wearing a seatbelt.

Anyway - another glorious sunny day and just over three weeks to my next cruise with a bonus of an unexpected upgraded cabin (and a good upgraded cabin at that).

• Like 3

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I doubt that many speedometers are accurate enough to tell the difference.

I think they were demonstrating that the 8mph could till do some damage ,where you 

could have stopped . That was just a pre set trial with a driver in a car, add to that 

weight with passengers luggage or wet / icy surfaces and chances are you will travel

a lot further that's until you hit something .

Years ago I was invited by S Y Police to take part on a machine /sled they had made 

to demonstrate seat belt safety , down a slope and a dead stop at approx  20mph .

It went with a fair jolt !  

Well miracles still happen, we have had a full week of beautiful sunny weather (it did rain overnight but the grass needed that boost). If only the weather was always like this I would not go abroad.

The fine weather also dampens my appetite. I always say I would be positively skinny if I lived in a hot climate but as I live in generally wet and cold Scotland I’m “cuddly”.

Nice salad and fresh feta cheese bread ready for lunch which I think we will have on the patio. Hope you are all having equally pleasant weather.

• Like 10

It's a nice sunny day down here and a pleasant 20c. Thank you for sending it to me😁

I've pleased to say that I have am not experiencing any side effects from my treatment yesterday, and have a phone call from the hospital to check up on me. I have also received one from my youngest daughter who took me there as well, being a nurse she gave me the third degree. I am not planning on doing anything today, just going to take it easy and perhaps spend some time in the garden with cup of coffee and a book.

Hope you all have a good day.

• Like 15

15 hours ago, 9265359 said:

My journey this morning took me through a village and lots of drivers don’t stick to the 30 mph limit on this stretch because there is a long straight stretch between two parts of the village where there are no houses at all.

This morning was no exception and the BMW driver behind me was raging and getting infuriated that I was doing 30mph when they wanted to go faster.

That is until they saw the speed trap van that I already knew about because of Waze. The speed trap van that had hidden itself into the verge so if you hadn’t known it was there it would have been far too late to do anything about it by the time you had seen it.

I wonder if the speed awareness courses mentioned using technology so you know where the speed traps are before you speed past them…

I have been making more use of the speed limiter system in my Toyota especially in an area which I don’t know that well, also in areas where there are the average speed cameras.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I have been making more use of the speed limiter system in my Toyota especially in an area which I don’t know that well, also in areas where there are the average speed cameras.

Likewise, but also cruise control, which on my car is adaptive so it decreases and increases speed based on the car in front. 

Set it to whatever the limit is (based on GPS readings) and sit back and relax - particularly as it takes over the steering once you reach 40mph. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, purplesea said:

It's a nice sunny day down here and a pleasant 20c. Thank you for sending it to me😁

I've pleased to say that I have am not experiencing any side effects from my treatment yesterday, and have a phone call from the hospital to check up on me. I have also received one from my youngest daughter who took me there as well, being a nurse she gave me the third degree. I am not planning on doing anything today, just going to take it easy and perhaps spend some time in the garden with cup of coffee and a book.

Hope you all have a good day.

Best wishes. Only 6 days now until that glass of wine.🍷

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kalos said:

I think they were demonstrating that the 8mph could till do some damage ,where you 

could have stopped . That was just a pre set trial with a driver in a car, add to that 

weight with passengers luggage or wet / icy surfaces and chances are you will travel

Years ago I was invited by S Y Police to take part on a machine /sled they had made 

to demonstrate seat belt safety , down a slope and a dead stop at approx  20mph .

That must have made you feel a right dummy, Kalos.

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well miracles still happen, we have had a full week of beautiful sunny weather (it did rain overnight but the grass needed that boost). If only the weather was always like this I would not go abroad.

The fine weather also dampens my appetite. I always say I would be positively skinny if I lived in a hot climate but as I live in generally wet and cold Scotland I’m “cuddly”.

Nice salad and fresh feta cheese bread ready for lunch which I think we will have on the patio. Hope you are all having equally pleasant weather.

Yes - unbelievable for us up here isn’t it? 😎. I had a friend round for lunch  on the decking - lovely to be able to do that and the garden is looking good too (not saying that at dusk when I’m out there with the hose and watering cans though)! 

• Like 6

Another early morning woke up at 5:15, temperature in bedroom was 24C despite having fan running and strategic windows & internal doors open. 

I notice the forecast is for temperatures to fall to a more reasonable 21C over weekend, might get a good nights sleep then.

Dental Check up this morning, theatre this evening, don’t think theatre have a dress code so if hot will where my shorts. 

• Like 7

Another hot day is forecast for us, it is already 21°c and a lot of pollen about.  I have been for a walk to the post office and have now got streaming eyes, and a bad case of sneezing and a sore throat.  I think that I will try to stay indoors today other than when I have to go out for lunch and bowling this evening.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 5

25 degrees here in Bolton. Sadly we are going to our lovely neighbour Mary’s funeral at lunchtime. She has been in a home for a while and died very suddenly. Her husband Tom is 93 and still going strong.

I am keeping out of the garden for a while. We have some big flying insects who seem very partial to my legs. One ankle swollen and two on my legs that are puffy. Not a good look! They don’t seem to bother Ian at all. 

• Like 5

Warm & sunny here, going to make some scotch eggs ( oven not deep fried)& carrot cake in a bit, planning on a picnic tea at the bottom of our valley under Cape Cornwall. Pollens really high, so won’t be in the garden for a while. 

• Like 7

Cruise departs next week so I was up at 5.30 this morning scouring the net for a ear wax removal service. The right ear is now essentially blocked and the various oils etc have not helped over the last couple of weeks. Boots and Specsavers have no appointments available for weeks but I managed to get a local appointment with Leightons opticians for Monday. If it works it will be £70 well spent. I suppose the ears are near the eyes so it should be OK.

• Like 2

Hot here again today, just got back from shopping and showing 26 degrees in my car. I am sat on the patio now in the shade having lunch. Dogs are not happy, way too warm for them. No walkies until later tonight

Have a nice day everyone 

Michelle

• Like 5

On 6/14/2023 at 11:29 AM, kalos said:

When I first realised I had AEB, my first thought was...what the......was that?. My second thought was....how do I turn it off.?.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1