P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I needed to go into the bank this morning to deposit some cash, because our bank seems to have closed most branches, it involved a visit to Hanley ( city centre ).  We do most of our banking online but obviously can't deposit cash on line.  It has been a while since I went into Hanley and I hope I don't have to go again, it was nightmare with beggars, expensive parking on a car park that doesn't take cash in the meter so I had to use my card for a £1.70 charge, changes to the roads.  I am now thinking of switching to Lloyds or Halifax because they still have branches at this end of the city.  I would love to know how people, who for one reason or another, don't have credit or debit cards manage in this increasingly cash free society.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I needed to go into the bank this morning to deposit some cash, because our bank seems to have closed most branches, it involved a visit to Hanley ( city centre ).  We do most of our banking online but obviously can't deposit cash on line.  It has been a while since I went into Hanley and I hope I don't have to go again, it was nightmare with beggars, expensive parking on a car park that doesn't take cash in the meter so I had to use my card for a £1.70 charge, changes to the roads.  I am now thinking of switching to Lloyds or Halifax because they still have branches at this end of the city.  I would love to know how people, who for one reason or another, don't have credit or debit cards manage in this increasingly cash free society.

Surprisingly enough I have been in a bank this morning. There were a steady stream of customers coming in and out, this was Virgin Money in Blackpool. I use the Halifax in St Annes regularly and my mum uses the Santander in St Annes. I do use online banking but sometimes you just need to speak to someone in a branch 

Michelle 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Our parking is £1 70 and hour . As the Council are now officially bankrupt, I guess they need to get some cash from somewhere. Motorists will do nicely.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

You can deposit cash into your bank account in a post office, I believe.

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Thanks for that I will look into it.  My only gripe with Santander is that they I have to go to Hanley on the very rare occasion that I need to make a deposit.

The Local Government Association is very keen on all car parking only being payable by an app, no cards or cash.  As a result I currently have 8 parking apps on my telephone with associated accounts as during and post pandemic it was the only way to pay to park.   Most of these app controlled car parks use ANPR as well, even buying a train ticket is stressful as the free15 minutes on railway business starts counting down as you enter our local station not when you've found a space. By the time you've parked and walked back to the ticket office you've usually eaten into your first 5 or 6 minutes and just hope there's no queue at the machine inside or the window is manned, otherwise its £2.75 straight of your parking app account or a £75 fine!

• Like 2

Not quite as warm here in Lytham St Annes, about 24 degrees, that’s warm enough for me!! Seems a bit more breeze now, showers forecast for 6pm. We definitely need the rain, our grass is going brown. 

Michelle

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Not quite as warm here in Lytham St Annes, about 24 degrees, that’s warm enough for me!! Seems a bit more breeze now, showers forecast for 6pm. We definitely need the rain, our grass is going brown. 

Michelle

We are in Soller, Majorca at the moment.  The topic of conversation.amongst the Brits is how pleasant it is here, rather than at home. Only 26 at the moment

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Michelle

According to our local amateur weather station we have had about 10mm of rain spread over the previous 2 days. Which would have helped the garden (and farmers) but still need more because after today there isn't any more rain in the forecast for 8 days and unbroken sunshine.

3 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

I really hope this helps you get your mobility back. I know exactly how you are feeling, I had nerve root compression a number of years ago and I was not operated on for six days. I now know i should have been operated on within 24 hours. As a result I have permanent nerve damage down my left side and no reflexes. Add MS diagnosis on too. I know I will be in a wheelchair in the future, we are planning a house move to accommodate my future needs.

Keep us updated how you are doing, fingers crossed for you

Michelle

Sending you my best wishes Michelle.

Graham.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Oh dear..l I have been a bit naughty.. I am spending some of the kids (sorry donkey's) inheritance and going for 8 days intensive physio and hydrotherapy.

I have fought to get my mobility back since the accident in 2019.  I was doing quite well then suddenly the pain got me.. i (probably because of my limping and gait)  it was  a horrendous couple of months, not knowing which bit of me would hurt next, furniture walking and even wall walking.   I'm not a crier, but I could have sunk a liner! Poor OH had all the worry and had to do everything.  Drugs have helped.

Anyway, by accident vascular problems were found and dealt with.

Well being a stubborn old so and so, I need to know the best I can be,  If it is a wheelchair in a year or so, then so be it, I will have a grizzle then come to terms, but at least I will know I have done the best I can.

So I am off tomorrow to  totally focus.  I have requested no visitors.  I will have a complete assessment and know where I stand.     Off to pack.

ps. there are aperitifs, wine with meals, tea and cakes in the afternoon, and manicures, and hairdressing ....   I'll just have to put up with it!!!

See you soon xxx

Good luck and prayers 🙏 for good news.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sending you my best wishes Michelle.

Graham.

Thanks Graham. We have found a house, meeting the architect in the morning for alteration discussions. I am quite looking forward to that, to hear all his ideas 

Michelle

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Hanley is so depressing now. When I think back only a few years when I worked in two of their department stores (sadly both no longer with us) it has gone from being a bustling city centre to an absolute dump., I dread to think what my parents and grandparents would make of it now. So sad😔

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

Its just gone over 30c here in South Cheshire and is now cloudy making it very humid, showers are expected later. We've managed to keep the temperature in the house down but only to 25c so not that low.

Same here, just a little cooler at 29°.

I am definitely not looking forward to bowling, I don't  usually bowl on Mondays but the Monday captain  asked if I would play because they have several of their team on holiday.

I am praying that the rain comes before 6:30 this evening .

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Same here, just a little cooler at 29°.

I am definitely not looking forward to bowling, I don't  usually bowl on Mondays but the Monday captain  asked if I would play because they have several of their team on holiday.

I am praying that the rain comes before 6:30 this evening .

Further north we hit 28.c with blue sky's a few clouds now gathering .

Not too bad with the gentle breeze and the rear of our house has welcome shade .

I put a 3" deep tray on the ground and filled it twice today with cold water which all

the birds were happy to share . I will top it up later as chances are if Mr &Mrs hedgehog

strolls by tonight I'm sure they too would be happy of a drink as well.

Best wishes to Indiana & Peanut, hope all goes well for you both .🙂 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

I haven’t visited my bank branch for over 10 years, any cash I needed to deposit I used post office, used be same with cheques, but now scan cheques via mobile app, same with my business account. 

Temp on patio hit 36.7 this afternoon, just 2 degrees lower than the greenhouse, elsewhere in the garden it was 29C. Currently sitting in lounge which faces north, so cooler at 24C, have put fan on to get some movement of air. Looking at Lightning Maps can see storms to the south of us around Ledbury and to the South East over west Birmingham. See what the next few hours brings. 

https://www.lightningmaps.org

42 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

I haven’t visited my bank branch for over 10 years, any cash I needed to deposit I used post office, used be same with cheques, but now scan cheques via mobile app, same with my business account. 

We go to our branch once a week, along with a look around the shops and some lunch in town. Folks chat about their online this, that and whatever and then moan about how the town centre is dying. If you don't use it.....🤔

• Like 7

8 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Oh dear..l I have been a bit naughty.. I am spending some of the kids (sorry donkey's) inheritance and going for 8 days intensive physio and hydrotherapy.

I have fought to get my mobility back since the accident in 2019.  I was doing quite well then suddenly the pain got me.. i (probably because of my limping and gait)  it was  a horrendous couple of months, not knowing which bit of me would hurt next, furniture walking and even wall walking.   I'm not a crier, but I could have sunk a liner! Poor OH had all the worry and had to do everything.  Drugs have helped.

Anyway, by accident vascular problems were found and dealt with.

Well being a stubborn old so and so, I need to know the best I can be,  If it is a wheelchair in a year or so, then so be it, I will have a grizzle then come to terms, but at least I will know I have done the best I can.

So I am off tomorrow to  totally focus.  I have requested no visitors.  I will have a complete assessment and know where I stand.     Off to pack.

ps. there are aperitifs, wine with meals, tea and cakes in the afternoon, and manicures, and hairdressing ....   I'll just have to put up with it!!!

See you soon xxx

I hope this helps with your mobility.

Just listened to this - fascinating.  I think there might be some here who'd find it even more fascinating than I did though.  And maybe with some strong views too!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001mljs

Wedgwood: A Very British Tragedy

Released On: 05 Jun 2023

In 1730, when Josiah Wedgwood was born in Stoke on Trent, the eleventh and last child to a family of potters, no one imagined that 65 years later this man would have conquered the world with his dazzling new inventions and designs – reinventing ceramics and making Wedgwood blue an iconic brand.

Josiah Wedgwood became a visionary potter, designer, chemist, marketing genius and radical, dissenting, anti-slavery campaigner. He was the epitome of 18th century man – combining science with entrepreneurship and a member of the Royal Society - who commissioned James Cook to bring him back clay from his voyages to drive his inspirational, experimental, ground-breaking inventions.

Dr Tristram Hunt, Director of the Victoria and Albert Museum, tells the story of Josiah Wedgwood, his genius and his legacy.

What has happened since to the company he founded over 260 years ago? How did a family-owned business – the jewel in the crown of Stoke – with generations of skilled workers in the city, lose its independence, become Wedgwood plc and go into a near-terminal decline in the 21st century. It’s been a rollercoaster ride of different owners, offshoring production to Asia, catastrophic job losses at home, bankruptcy, administration and mismanagement which nearly led to the squandering of 260 years of a skilled ceramics industry in Stoke on Trent.

Under new ownership, there are some green shoots of recovery, a return to designs inspired by their founder. Can Wedgwood revive its fortunes, shake off its troubled history and restore Josiah Wedgwood’s ambition – to be ‘Vase Maker General to the Universe’ to a new generation of potters?

Presented by Dr Tristram Hunt Produced by Anna Horsbrugh-Porter A Just Radio production for BBC Radio 4

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Thanks Graham. We have found a house, meeting the architect in the morning for alteration discussions. I am quite looking forward to that, to hear all his ideas 

Michelle

That's a really sensible, practical, wise move, Michelle.  Hope it works out well.  We had had no dealings at all with architects until about 20 years back when we were looking to add a small extension.  The builder introduced us to one, we really got on well, he was absolutely fantastic and (shock horror) a lot cheaper than I thought architects were.

We used him a little later when we built a house from scratch and every day, even now, we thank him for the design features and practicalities he built into the plans.  Even in this hot weather it's a cool house - and all down to design.  I'd never do a building project now without one, but back in the day we always assumed they were too expensive to even think about.

• Like 5