P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

That's what I thought they meant, but they didn't use 'indecisive'. They used 'In-Decisive' which, as far as I know, is not a word. 

How is your grandson?

Thanks for asking, he is better most of the time but still has his bad days, he has  been able to attend school more regularly since his operation.

• Like 4

Just now, Bloodaxe said:

Thanks for asking, he is better most of the time but still has his bad days, he has  been able to attend school more regularly since his operation.

I'm delighted to hear that, and long may it last. Has he been able to reduce any medication post surgery?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

We have discussed this and possible implications if Royal Caribbean implemented AI on their ships on the Royal boards and while some are in favour there are a lot that are not because we have a large number of high loyalty C&A members who get a lot of free drinks and WiFi through our loyalty.

That will be a major disincentive to higher tier loyalty members, unless there is some compensating financial offer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

Indecisive means unable to make your mind up between different options. What they're saying is they haven't a clue where they're going🤣

Avril

I think it might be more that they don't really care about the ports, as long as there are some.

Well a large chunk of Scotland, almost half, goes into level 4 lockdown from Friday (thankfully not here where we have relatively low levels of the virus) with virtually everything closed until 11th December. Travel bans are now in law so large fines for travelling out with a Council area.

The hope is that we can all see family at Christmas. That’s the carrot being held out to those who are moving into lockdown. This is supposed to be a 4 nation proposition across the U.K.

So do you think you will be able to share Christmas family or will it be a zoom turkey dinner?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Well a large chunk of Scotland, almost half, goes into level 4 lockdown from Friday (thankfully not here where we have relatively low levels of the virus) with virtually everything closed until 11th December. Travel bans are now in law so large fines for travelling out with a Council area.

The hope is that we can all see family at Christmas. That’s the carrot being held out to those who are moving into lockdown. This is supposed to be a 4 nation proposition across the U.K.

So do you think you will be able to share Christmas family or will it be a zoom turkey dinner?

If, as suggested, every day’s relaxation over Christmas means 5 additional days of restrictions afterwards - no thanks.

It’s the classic situation to test the maturity and intelligence of children: which would you like, one sweet now or 5 sweets if you wait till later?

And that’s ignoring any unnecessary additional deaths caused.

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

If, as suggested, every day’s relaxation over Christmas means 5 additional days of restrictions afterwards - no thanks.

It’s the classic situation to test the maturity and intelligence of children: which would you like, one sweet now or 5 sweets if you wait till later?

And that’s ignoring any unnecessary additional deaths caused.

Yes the marshmallow test came to mind.

• Like 3

We have seen our grandkid's once this year and that was us talking to them 

through our car window.

With a bit of luck we should manage to see them before Christmas once more.

No way will we risk our or any other family members life , even if  our Government 

say they have been in talks with the virus and managed to persuade it not to 

infect anyone for at least five days over the Christmas period .

Our family stance is "Take Care Not Chances "   . Yes we will miss not being together 

but being this close to the vaccine it will be one Christmas  not the rest of our lives.

I bet people like Graham & Pauline  will not be advising people to chance it ? :classic_unsure:

Whatever happens in the next few weeks just make sure you all stay safe :classic_smile:

:classic_smile:1585763081_covidsafe.png.ecece451a14c41bf70faa305028a7bb1.png:classic_smile:

• Like 15

9 hours ago, grapau27 said:

The Magic carpet on Edge seems wonderful and the ship was new ship of the year in 2018 so I feel your pain.

Silhouette was built in 2011  but she had a multi million dollar makeover in January 2020 so should be amazing.

Grats & drinks and WiFi are included with all Celebrity sailings.

Is there more options you could consider instead?

Are you a Captains club member on Celebrity or C&A member with Royal Caribbean as you might be due an additional discount?

Graham.

We sailed Silhouette when she was new and also Edge in 2019. Beautiful ships and many happy memories. I would sail on either in a heartbeat = though EDGE has the edge on any ship we have been on (and that actually includes Oceana)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sarah.

Currently day 11 in bed but at least I am at home and Pauline is taking good care of me.

Covid19 is nasty so please take care of yourselves.

Graham.

Used to come on here to check on cruises but tonight I came on to check if you are both ok. Can now go back to Ant and Dec

Stay safe and take care you 2

xx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

We also send our best wishes for your grandson and hopefully his bad days become just a memory and he continues to improve significantly.

Graham.

31 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Used to come on here to check on cruises but tonight I came on to check if you are both ok. Can now go back to Ant and Dec

Stay safe and take care you 2

xx

Thank you Presto that was lovely of you.

Graham & Pauline xx

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kalos said:

We have seen our grandkid's once this year and that was us talking to them 

through our car window.

With a bit of luck we should manage to see them before Christmas once more.

No way will we risk our or any other family members life , even if  our Government 

say they have been in talks with the virus and managed to persuade it not to 

infect anyone for at least five days over the Christmas period .

Our family stance is "Take Care Not Chances "   . Yes we will miss not being together 

but being this close to the vaccine it will be one Christmas  not the rest of our lives.

I bet people like Graham & Pauline  will not be advising people to chance it ? :classic_unsure:

Whatever happens in the next few weeks just make sure you all stay safe :classic_smile:

:classic_smile:1585763081_covidsafe.png.ecece451a14c41bf70faa305028a7bb1.png:classic_smile:

Absolutely don't chance it.

It is a ridiculous idea and not worth the risk of catching this dreadful virus which will not be having a Xmas holiday just because Boris says you can mix for 5 days.

Graham.

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Absolutely don't chance it.

It is a ridiculous idea and not worth the risk of catching this dreadful virus which will not be having a Xmas holiday just because Boris says you can mix for 5 days.

Graham.

Exactly ! 

You take care Graham ,glad you are feeling better and hope your breathing improves soon !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

The virus has been surging around here. The council area next door to ours now has the second highest cases per 100,000 in England.

We went into lockdown at England tier 1, but when the lockdown ends, there will need to be significant restrictions around here, but I’m hoping the effects of the lockdown will be reflected in the local figures soon.

It doesn’t make sense to me to allow a normal Christmas in areas with already high infection rates, and then spend the whole of January locked down to deal with Christmas infections. 

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

The virus has been surging around here. The council area next door to ours now has the second highest cases per 100,000 in England.

We went into lockdown at England tier 1, but when the lockdown ends, there will need to be significant restrictions around here, but I’m hoping the effects of the lockdown will be reflected in the local figures soon.

It doesn’t make sense to me to allow a normal Christmas in areas with already high infection rates, and then spend the whole of January locked down to deal with Christmas infections. 

Absolutely.  And it's also grossly unfair to inflict the inevitable consequences on all those poor NHS staff we and the government once professed to care so much about. 

But I think we all know it's going to happen anyway,  regardless of the consequences,  because it's politically convenient and suits the political agenda. 

• Like 6

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

Absolutely.  And it's also grossly unfair to inflict the inevitable consequences on all those poor NHS staff we and the government once professed to care so much about. 

But I think we all know it's going to happen anyway,  regardless of the consequences,  because it's politically convenient and suits the political agenda. 

It sounds like our local hospital is already struggling. It was reported  that a critical incident was declared last night, due to the amount of Covid patients coming in from in from the council area next door 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That's probably true Harry, but if the govt leave everyone in tiers over Xmas it is fairly certain that many people, especially those in high tier areas, will ignore their restrictions,.  Whereas, just maybe, if there is a UK wide set of rules that are fairly tight but do allow for some level of family gatherings, that may well be far better observed.

• Like 1

Fortunately the IFR (infection fatality ratio) is now considerably lower than 8 months ago, thanks to better understanding of the virus, plus the beginning of herd immunity, albeit only slightly.

Which brings a different scenario to our current position. Yes, people are getting CV19, but, fortunately are not dying from it. But, conversely,  because people aren't dying, they are taking up beds in hospitals to recover, that could be used, for want of a better word, for conventional illnesses.

So, we all need to be careful,  but a draconian Christmas will lead to widespread breaking of the rules,  especially as currently formulated (including children in the size of a family  gathering is an obvious example)  

The government knows (hopefully) that it is better to liberalise the rules for a short period,  and maintain public support, than try and implement a policy that will be widely ignored, setting an invidious policy for the future. 

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

....... and Swales 3/4 of a mile from me 😕 

unless things improve rapidly that's it until xmas which I should have been spending on a ship

I think I will just gorge and booze my way through xmas weekend 😱

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Kalos.

I can take deep breaths no problems but when I speak it takes my breath away.

Graham.

Glad to read you are starting to feel better. A friend of mine is on day 29 of symptoms and he just said it was a big mistake trying to plant the last of the tulip bulbs. His wife and son also tested positive but have had hardly any symptoms

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, davecttr said:

....... and Swales 3/4 of a mile from me 😕 

unless things improve rapidly that's it until xmas which I should have been spending on a ship

I think I will just gorge and booze my way through xmas weekend 😱

If we go cross country over the fields, we can walk to Swale in about 30 minutes.