P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

15 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Too late,Wowz has already shattered my colonial superiority.Someone is gonna say that Cadbury Aus is not related to UK.When the Aussies were boasting about it on the ship,I had to try it.It was a orrible bland gunk.

When I was working in Canada I saw Cadbury's chocolate and immediately bought some because I hated their chocolate and thought that the Cadbury's would be made to our recipe, WRONG, as you said horrible stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Barnsley market took some beating int good owd days, not many proper markets left, we like a run out to Bakewell now and then, but even their market isn't the same. A lot of town centres have been struggling for years and covid could be the final nail in the coffin for some.

Unfortunately you're right. I only hope that when the new centre is finished they can fill it, and we're not left with a lot of vacant lots.

Avril

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, kalos said:

I haven't been there for years but I loved having the Pie& Peas in the café upstairs.

Think it was called Oldfield's back then.  

It's still Oldfield's and is now upstairs in the new market complex, which has the delightful name of 'Market Kitchen'🙄

Avril

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

When I was working in Canada I saw Cadbury's chocolate and immediately bought some because I hated their chocolate and thought that the Cadbury's would be made to our recipe, WRONG, as you said horrible stuff.

I once tried a Kit Kat in the states, it was rubbish, having said that ours are not that same since Nestles took over Rountrees in York

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

I know I'm being pedantic, but the Woolworths in Australia has no relationship whatsoever with the late lamented Woolworths in the UK.

Correct, Australian Woolworths is a major supermarket chain, more like our Tesco

22 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

I once tried a Kit Kat in the states, it was rubbish, having said that ours are not that same since Nestles took over Rountrees in York

It must be all that Yorkshire milk that's the secret.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

My brief time as a Saturday girl was in the seventies, so a long time ago, but I was amazed at how formal it was.  We were addressed as Miss xxxxx and the supervisors definitely had status.  I liked the discount too.  What I didn't care for was standing on my feet all day and then running for the train home at the end of the day; I was shattered!  Oh, and the people who wandered into the store 2 minutes before closing 😄

I worked in a restaurant as a Saturday job which did lunches and high teas so closed at 7pm. I used to hate the folks who came in last minute. Last service was 6.30pm but they never moved by 7pm and we were all held back. No one can eat a main course, toast, scones, cake and drink a pot of tea in under 30 minutes from order and the management knew it. Unpaid overtime!

Yes it was also all very formal with Mrs this and Mr that and we wore black and white with white aprons and head frill - just like Julie Walters!

Some of the formality was just stuffy for the sake of it but I think things are just too casual now (or I am just becoming my mother, “in my day......”)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Beckett said:

Good luck today. I do hope your after-effects are mild but look after and pamper yourself while you're at home. You deserve it. Best wishes. Jane.x

Thanks Jane x Back home now fully jabbed. I fair bounced into our vaccination hub this afternoon all ready for my jab and got a sticker which is now firmly attached to my ID badge 😀

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Yes their chocolate is dreadful greasy stuff but I do love a beaver tail, my OH had a daily fix while in Ottawa (I had my daily fix of cocktails at Chateau Frontenac in Quebec- fairs fair). I also got quite fond of poutine of all things. Did the whole tourist bit.

If you like chocolate try the Highland Chocolatier if your are ever up in this neck of the woods. Hand made and delicious.

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I worked in a restaurant as a Saturday job which did lunches and high teas so closed at 7pm. I used to hate the folks who came in last minute. Last service was 6.30pm but they never moved by 7pm and we were all held back. No one can eat a main course, toast, scones, cake and drink a pot of tea in under 30 minutes from order and the management knew it. Unpaid overtime!

Yes it was also all very formal with Mrs this and Mr that and we wore black and white with white aprons and head frill - just like Julie Walters!

Some of the formality was just stuffy for the sake of it but I think things are just too casual now (or I am just becoming my mother, “in my day......”)

"Two soups" 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks Kalos.

Fortunately Sarah had a mild case of Covid19.

We text, facetime and speak with her daily plus Sarah and Pauline do the same job although now in different offices so they regularly chat about work.

We used to take Sarah out every week for a meal and Lockdown has been particularly hard not seeing her which most of us on here are in a similar position not seeing and hugging loved ones.

Graham.

Glad Sarah’s case was mild. I can imagine how much you miss her, let’s hope for good weather next week so we can get to see some of our loved ones in gardens.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Glad Sarah’s case was mild. I can imagine how much you miss her, let’s hope for good weather next week so we can get to see some of our loved ones in gardens.

Thanks Sue.

It will be nice for all of us to see our loved ones.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

We got back home about an hour ago.

Pauline had the Astrazeneca jab.

So far so good.

I had the AZ jab at 2 this afternoon, so far so good, not even a sore arm YET.

People I know, who got them, tended to start to get after effects around 12 hours after the jab, I'll reserve judgement until I wake in the morning.

• Like 6

Reading so many of your posts I realise, not for the first time, how lucky I was to have been in a bubble with my immediate family; that's my daughter,  son-in-law, and two granddaughters. Without them, and my dog, this past year could have been unbearable for me. So, I just want to say that I really feel for you all who are longing for those family hugs that hopefully will be coming your way very soon. 

After nearly 2 weeks away, I'm going back to work tomorrow. We've agreed that I will cut down by one day per week with a view to 2 days in 2022 so we'll see how that pans out. I'm also going to continue with the vaccine volunteering but again, much pared down from previously.  Fingers crossed!

I've been so excited to read all about your staycations - and almost tempted to book one, but have resisted- so far!  Best wishes to all. Jane.x

• Like 19

2 minutes ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

People I know, who got them, tended to start to get after effects around 12 hours after the jab, I'll reserve judgement until I wake in the morning.

Good luck🤞

Hopefully both yourself and Pauline have no side effects.

7 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Reading so many of your posts I realise, not for the first time, how lucky I was to have been in a bubble with my immediate family; that's my daughter,  son-in-law, and two granddaughters. Without them, and my dog, this past year could have been unbearable for me. So, I just want to say that I really feel for you all who are longing for those family hugs that hopefully will be coming your way very soon. 

After nearly 2 weeks away, I'm going back to work tomorrow. We've agreed that I will cut down by one day per week with a view to 2 days in 2022 so we'll see how that pans out. I'm also going to continue with the vaccine volunteering but again, much pared down from previously.  Fingers crossed!

I've been so excited to read all about your staycations - and almost tempted to book one, but have resisted- so far!  Best wishes to all. Jane.x

Pleased to hear you are feeling a lot better.

Hope everything goes well for you tomorrow at work.

Graham.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

We didn't get any after effects until the 2nd day. The doctor did tell us that they can occur between 1 - 3 days after the vaccination. We were just tired and achy, but two paracteamol and fine the next day.

Avril

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Beckett said:

I'm glad you're feeling better and that you've recharged your batteries Jane. Those two weeks have  simply flown by. It sounds as though you've given things some serious thought and I hope it works out well for you. Good luck tomorrow and take care. x

Avril

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Good luck and make sure you take care of yourself , what your doing is a wonderful thing 

just as taking care of yourself is too. Keep safe .:classic_smile:

• Like 2

Very sad to hear of the John Lewis closures, on top of the Debenhams closures I’m not sure there’s many department stores left. My John is a partner on the Waitrose side, worrying times.

I went to see if there was a FB page and there were loads of comments from disappointed people. Aberdeen seemed to be mentioned a lot, no department stores now North of Edinburgh and Glasgow, really sad. A lot of people said Aberdeen will really suffer.

There’s a complete new build ‘at home’ store in Ashford Kent, it’s only been there a couple of years , it’s two floors and pretty big. That’s gone now 😞I’ve been looking forward to that re-opening . Only Bluewater left now in Kent.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Pleased that you are feeling better after your 2 weeks off and hope the new work/life balance works out well for you.Take Care

• Like 2