Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

14 hours ago, sgmn said:

Hubby sitting in one of the Spitfires, decked out in USA airforce colours.  They were working on 6-8 spits  all originals.  You can go up in one of the two seaters,  but maybe that's one for the bucket list 

20210517_145953.jpg

That must have been great for your husband to actually sit in a spitfire Sue.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

I never had the Farrah poster in my high school years. Lynda Carter from Wonder Woman was up on my wall. When I moved on to University I had posters of the girl who was in IMHO the best American TV comedy show ever, WKRP in Cincinnati, Jan Smithers. I also had one of Pam Dawber from Mork and Mindy. 

Fos sure on Jan Smithers (Bailey Quarters).  Here is an excerpt from one of my favourite episodes.  It’s eerily like some of the discussions on Cruise Critic:

Herbert 'Herb' Tarlek:
He's just mad because he's not addle-minded.

Les Nessman:
I am too.

Herbert 'Herb' Tarlek:
No. You're not.

Les Nessman:
[Herb and Less start hitting each other] Yes. I am.

Herbert 'Herb' Tarlek:
No. You're not.

Les Nessman:
Yes. I am!

Herbert 'Herb' Tarlek:
You're not!

Bailey Quarters:
You guys! You are both addle-minded!

Les Nessman:
Thank you, Baily.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

@dani negreanu You are correct on all counts.  My evenings are countless hours on the phone with my family, her family, my friends, her friends, our friends, our neighbors, co-workers, etc. And when I'm done, it's time to start all over. Without them, I would not be able to get thru this. Talk therapy works.

Here, on CC, I've been shy with the details only because they are so disturbing that I doubt anyone would want to read them. But for those that do (and for those that don't may want to skip to the next post now), here we go:

The anoxic brain injury was caused by a massive blood clot that cut off circulation to both lungs, backed up the blood into the heart and caused a cardiac arrest.  This is what I woke up to Easter morning. Between me and the paramedics, she was under CPR for 45+ minutes, about twice the usual time CPR is performed. Once at the hospital, it got worse. Incubated on a ventilator for 2 weeks,  kidneys failing, pneumonia, blood infection, erratic heart rate, erratic blood pressure, new clots forming, internal bleeding. For the first two weeks, every conversation with the doctor started with "If she makes it thru the night.....:" Yet, she rallied and recovered from all the above ailments with flying colors, stabilized and  is now breathing on her own, with the help of a trach tube (no ventilator). Physically, she is rocking it! I have nothing but the utmost respect for the doctors and nurses at the hospital. But her brain was deprived of oxygen for too long and there is no coming back from that. Technically, she is not in a coma but she has not been "awake" once since this ordeal has started.

So now we wait and see, waiting for that miracle.  Early on, my days were filled with hospital visits, phones calls with doctors, nurses, social workers, case managers, physical therapists,  hospital administrators, brain trauma facilities, insurance companies and lawyers (to protect me financially, not to sue).  Now I just have the visits  with here so I have ore time on my hands.

And what better way to spend it than reading about home remodels, gardening, new pets, A&L_Ont latest high performance vehicle, the lifting of covid restrictions and this...

Yes! without a doubt the most beautiful.  And the only one to stay for the entire length of the show.  Show loyalty and smarts.

Hi HBE4.

That must have been an absolute nightmare for you both on Easter morning.

Your wife sounds very resilient and I pray for her that she wakes and still has brain function.

You have been brilliant keeping everyone informed and we both send you our warmest wishes and our hopes for good news for you both. Graham & Pauline

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

@dani negreanu You are correct on all counts.  My evenings are countless hours on the phone with my family, her family, my friends, her friends, our friends, our neighbors, co-workers, etc. And when I'm done, it's time to start all over. Without them, I would not be able to get thru this. Talk therapy works.

Here, on CC, I've been shy with the details only because they are so disturbing that I doubt anyone would want to read them. But for those that do (and for those that don't may want to skip to the next post now), here we go:

The anoxic brain injury was caused by a massive blood clot that cut off circulation to both lungs, backed up the blood into the heart and caused a cardiac arrest.  This is what I woke up to Easter morning. Between me and the paramedics, she was under CPR for 45+ minutes, about twice the usual time CPR is performed. Once at the hospital, it got worse. Incubated on a ventilator for 2 weeks,  kidneys failing, pneumonia, blood infection, erratic heart rate, erratic blood pressure, new clots forming, internal bleeding. For the first two weeks, every conversation with the doctor started with "If she makes it thru the night.....:" Yet, she rallied and recovered from all the above ailments with flying colors, stabilized and  is now breathing on her own, with the help of a trach tube (no ventilator). Physically, she is rocking it! I have nothing but the utmost respect for the doctors and nurses at the hospital. But her brain was deprived of oxygen for too long and there is no coming back from that. Technically, she is not in a coma but she has not been "awake" once since this ordeal has started.

So now we wait and see, waiting for that miracle.  Early on, my days were filled with hospital visits, phones calls with doctors, nurses, social workers, case managers, physical therapists,  hospital administrators, brain trauma facilities, insurance companies and lawyers (to protect me financially, not to sue).  Now I just have the visits  with here so I have ore time on my hands.

And what better way to spend it than reading about home remodels, gardening, new pets, A&L_Ont latest high performance vehicle, the lifting of covid restrictions and this...

Yes! without a doubt the most beautiful.  And the only one to stay for the entire length of the show.  Show loyalty and smarts.

Please continue to hold out hope for that miracle to happen.  I'm going to tell a brief story about one of our best friends that I briefly mentioned on this thread.

He had a massive stroke on or about december 17th.   His organs began to shut down so they put him into a medically induced coma due to trauma his body went thru.  Now remember this winter during covid spikes hospitals were not allowing family to visit.  This was the worst part for his family and children.

Approx 2 weeks later they slowly decreased meds given to keep him the coma.  2 weeks later he was still unresponsive.   He was breathing on his own but various scans and tests showed no brain activity.

I think it was end of January where they asked the family to decide on long term nursing home or hospice.

The family still unable to visit him decided on hospice knowing he would not want to live in this state.

He was transported to nursing home for hospice they removed him from feeding tube and other meds.  Family could now visit to say their goodbyes.

About 10 days later a nurse noticed some movement and he woke up!!!

He told them he was hungry, very slurred speech but he was awake and hungry.  It was truly a miracle.

No one could believe it.  

After a couple days of him showing good responses they moved him to their rehab wing.

Within a couple weeks he had seizures which is common I'm told but they got his meds regulated and seizures stopped.

In march they gave him covid vaccines and by April they were allowing vaccinated people to visit him with no masks on to help with communication.

He has full movement but not able to walk on his own yet.  

They work with him everyday.  We all visit him as much as we can and I see an improvement every week.    He reads alot so we bring him new books every week.

Sometime this summer he will be released it.  Grant it he will need lots of help when he gets home but considering no one thought he would ever wake up 

A true miracle

She is still alive for a reason.  So please continue holding on to hope that she too will come out of this.  Her body has been thru alot and rest is helping her heal.

Please take care of yourself too as you need to be strong for when she does wake up and needs you🥰

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

HBE4

Good morning.

I read a little bit about a lot of things.

The one thing that Impacted me was something I did when  my very elderly father was in the hospital after suffering a massive heart attack, and had minimal heart function left. I read soft tactile stimulus and conversation can be soothing.

At times he was confused, restless, trying to get out of bed.

Then he became quiet and just rested.

He refused breathing tubes, so he just had an IV, when he would not pull it out.

I would sit there hold his hand and talk about all the memories I had growing up.  From childhood, his fishing stories, to just plain anything, I talked for hours.

Well one night he woke up at 3am.  And in return we talked and talked and talked about everything from his childhood, to mine.  It was special.  At 7 am. he told me to go home and get to bed, he was tired.

I waited till my brother got there at his side, and I went home.

At 9am.  My brother called and told me to come back, he did not like the way dad was breathing, so shallow.

I got there and was at his side, as he drifted off.

Yea, with his bad heart we knew it was inevitable.  

But just talking I knew he heard. He responded and we had those precious hours that we conversed.

Talk and share your memories.

Cry more if you have too.

Your wife could possibly hear you.  Studies have shown that hearing is present, but the ill family member may not be able to let you know they hear you.

If it is hard to talk, play some music, or put on her favorite TV show softly in the room.

You know she loves you, she just cannot share her love for you back at this time.

Take care.

Stay strong.

Edited by Lionesss
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Please continue to hold out hope for that miracle to happen.  I'm going to tell a brief story about one of our best friends that I briefly mentioned on this thread.

He had a massive stroke on or about december 17th.   His organs began to shut down so they put him into a medically induced coma due to trauma his body went thru.  Now remember this winter during covid spikes hospitals were not allowing family to visit.  This was the worst part for his family and children.

Approx 2 weeks later they slowly decreased meds given to keep him the coma.  2 weeks later he was still unresponsive.   He was breathing on his own but various scans and tests showed no brain activity.

I think it was end of January where they asked the family to decide on long term nursing home or hospice.

The family still unable to visit him decided on hospice knowing he would not want to live in this state.

He was transported to nursing home for hospice they removed him from feeding tube and other meds.  Family could now visit to say their goodbyes.

About 10 days later a nurse noticed some movement and he woke up!!!

He told them he was hungry, very slurred speech but he was awake and hungry.  It was truly a miracle.

No one could believe it.  

After a couple days of him showing good responses they moved him to their rehab wing.

Within a couple weeks he had seizures which is common I'm told but they got his meds regulated and seizures stopped.

In march they gave him covid vaccines and by April they were allowing vaccinated people to visit him with no masks on to help with communication.

He has full movement but not able to walk on his own yet.  

They work with him everyday.  We all visit him as much as we can and I see an improvement every week.    He reads alot so we bring him new books every week.

Sometime this summer he will be released it.  Grant it he will need lots of help when he gets home but considering no one thought he would ever wake up 

A true miracle

She is still alive for a reason.  So please continue holding on to hope that she too will come out of this.  Her body has been thru alot and rest is helping her heal.

Please take care of yourself too as you need to be strong for when she does wake up and needs you🥰

This is a heartwarming story Debbie and we are delighted to hear how your friend is recovering.

This is proof that miracles happen and I'm sure we all wish HBEs dear wife a similar recovery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Thanks for the heads up re: the stairs.  This is our first time with full width, inside the pool stairs. We had a pool at our previous home that had a white plastic type stair that was affixed outside the shape of the pool - if that makes sense.  It also had a texture to the stair so there wasn’t as much chance of slipping. I can certainly see how it could happen with this one, so I’m happy we have the railing.  We wanted this inside full size stair for the little ones, even though it resulted in us making the pool larger than we originally planned.  I learned a lot about the mathematical formulas that go into installing a pool. 
Congrats on the award!  (Quite envious of your automatic cover also.)

I totally know the stairs you had previously.  I also think you will like having the larger pool when the family is over. The stairs made a great sitting spot for our niece and nephews to play with water toys.  The grandmas liked it sitting on them too

We went with the cover because of the little ones but have found that it also keeps a copious amount of pine needles etc out of the pool. We have very little evaporation and use less chemical with it too. 

83873E84-B1E0-48FD-8C0E-C8F3F009B118.jpeg.a93045c9c23233a36b59a6b17af3a61e.jpeg

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

HBE4

Good morning.

The one thing that Impacted me was something I did when  my very elderly father was in the hospital after suffering a massive heart attack, and had minimal heart function left. I read soft tactile stimulus and conversation can be soothing.

He refused breathing tubes, so he just had an IV, when he would not pull it out.

I would sit there hold his hand and talk about all the memories I had growing up.  From childhood, his fishing stories, to just plain anything, I talked for hours.

Well one night he woke up at 3am.  And in return we talked and talked and talked about everything from his childhood, to mine.  It was special.  At 7 am. he told me to go home and get to bed, he was tired.

At 9am.  My brother called and told me to come back, he did not like the way dad was breathing, so shallow.

But just talking I knew he heard. He responded and we had those precious hours that we conversed.

Your wife could possibly hear you.  Studies have shown that hearing is present, but the ill family member may not be able to let you know they hear you.

If it is hard to talk, play some music, or put on her favorite TV show softly in the room.

You know she loves you, she just cannot share her love for you back at this time.

Take care.

Stay strong.

Sorry to hear about your dad.

It must have been special for you when he woke up and you both had a long chat and it is something which will always be in your memory.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

Fos sure on Jan Smithers (Bailey Quarters).  Here is an excerpt from one of my favourite episodes.  It’s eerily like some of the discussions on Cruise Critic:

Herbert 'Herb' Tarlek:
He's just mad because he's not addle-minded.

Les Nessman:
I am too.

Herbert 'Herb' Tarlek:
No. You're not.

Les Nessman:
[Herb and Less start hitting each other] Yes. I am.

Herbert 'Herb' Tarlek:
No. You're not.

Les Nessman:
Yes. I am!

Herbert 'Herb' Tarlek:
You're not!

Bailey Quarters:
You guys! You are both addle-minded!

Les Nessman:
Thank you, Baily.

Brilliant!! 

Do you remember the turkey drop episode. 

Less:

Oh my goodness! Oh, the humanity! People are running about. The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!

Classic!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Good News in Ontario today. Every adult is now eligible to get the Covid vaccine as of 8am this morning!!!

Lisa checked the system this morning, and in the London area the server was overloaded. Hopefully we will have good uptake here.  In London it will take 3 months to vaccinate the 18-39 year old group unless we get more allocation. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, A&L_Ont said:

Lisa checked the system this morning, and in the London area the server was overloaded. Hopefully we will have good uptake here.  In London it will take 3 months to vaccinate the 18-39 year old group unless we get more allocation. Fingers crossed. 

My 25 year old son already booked his shot for this Friday in Tillsonburg. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Brilliant!! 

Do you remember the turkey drop episode. 

Less:

Oh my goodness! Oh, the humanity! People are running about. The turkeys are hitting the ground like sacks of wet cement!

Classic!

As god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

But wait..... what will you do about tipping 😉😂?!

Did you want me to go fuss at guest realtions to withdraw the tip because I did not (and will not😉LOL) get a towel animal that looked like Bella or Merlin?😁🤣

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I very strongly believe that crew on board deserves a little (if not a a lot) more for putting up with everything that is bringing cruising back.....quarantine, vaccines, countless testing, more cleaning, more sanitizing, passengers' tantrums (and I am sure there will be plenty of those kind that blames the crew for making it rain!) and the whole 9 yards!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, h20skibum said:

My wife always thought it was strange that I was a Kate Jackson guy.  But then, she shouldn’t have been surprised, because she was more like Kate than the others. 😁

Kate was the pretty AND smart one.  You picked well!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Now I just have the visits  with here so I have ore time on my hands.

We love you and are here for you. Keep up your strength. I will be thinking of you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Thank you for posting and sharing this very difficult journey with us.  Please post as often as you want and are able to.  Prayers for that miracle to come soon! 

I agree that Jaclyn Smith was the most beautiful, speaking as a female that is looking at those ladies from a different perspective.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lionesss said:

HBE4

Good morning.

Take care.

Stay strong.

Your post brought tears to my eyes.  Without elaborating, you are one special lady, knowing exactly what to say!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

One of our roaming turkeys flew away from our neighbor’s dog.  It was a sight to see!

I always tend to forget those ground roaming big birds can actually fly.  When I see our neighborhood wild Turkeys do that...it's like....whaaaaaat?  😮 

• Like 3