Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Lenny- You have brought up one of my favorite subjects- ice cream!

Unfortunately, the Jahn’s  in Richmond Hill closed a number of years ago. The only remaining Jahn’s is in Jackson Heights. It is more of a diner than an ice cream parlor though.

Jahn’s in RH was a favorite place to go in my childhood. I went to a number of birthday parties there where the Kitchen Sink was the highlight. I also went to a baby shower at Jahn’s - of course ,at a later date.

There is an ice cream parlor in Forest Hills,Eddie’s,used to be Witt’s. It has been in operation for at least a hundred years. The decor remains the same. Marble counter,wooden stools, tile floor and delicious home-made ice cream. The parlor has been used for many photo shoots,TV locations and movie locations. I remember watching a Woody Allen movie about eight years ago,and Eddie’s was turned into an Italian restaurant for the movie. I don’t recall the title of the movie though.

Yesterday,after playing golf, my friends and I were in the mood for an ice cream lunch. It was a hot day ! We went to a place not far from the course,but it was changed to a bagel place. We drove an additional fifteen minutes to get to a luncheonette that serves Hershey’s ice cream. We were lamenting that there used to be ice cream places in every small town here in the North Fork. Now, they are few and far between. 

Hoping you enjoy some ice cream today ! 🍨🍧🍦

Wishing all here a good day !

MJ🙋🏻

In 2014 a former co worker invited Toby and I to meet him and his fiancée at an Italian restaurant in Forest Hills for lunch .We had not been in FH for about 30 years.After lunch we walked in town browsing at all the stores .We have not been back since.

There is an ice cream parlor in Massapequa that serves home made ice cream that is supposed to be great.I cannot recall the name of it.

On 7/14/2022 at 6:05 AM, sgmn said:

Great bag, how did you do it?

I can give you some tips if you think you want to make one.

6 hours ago, mo&fran said:

What a PIA. Just completed my pre cruise test on Emed  for our Allure cruse this Sunday.

Only took about 5 tries to get through.  At least it is negative.  DW has to do hers now. Second   time doing it should be much easier.

We will be passing each other. I get off the Allure the day you get on.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Eric had a fall last weekend in our master bathroom.   He is orthostatic and if he gets up to quick his blood pressure can drop into the 60/40 range.     I guess this happened the other night when he went to go.      He was in some pain but said nothing was broken just twisted himself when he went to fall and wanting to avoid hitting his head on vanity and/or tile floor. 

While after 2 days of pain this week I called primary and he went for x-rays Wednesday afternoon.    They called this morning and said he has a fracture of his sacrum.     They said not much can be done but I just set up appt. to see the ortho doc on Monday afternoon.     Primary said to avoid any excessive/stressful activities and ortho will probably recommend some PT to start in a week or two.      For now, he is to take tylenol.   He's not in a lot of pain so that's good.   The only time he really feels the pain is in bed especially if he tries to turn from back to side.    

For anyone unsure where the sacrum is, here is an image I found online:

image.png.ea55859e6ad121151b71efb9745b7f09.png

Sorry to hear this,Debbie.Praying that he gets better soon.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

My grandparents died when they were younger than I am now. 
They seemed like elderly people and looking at family photos, they were. 
Grandparents aren’t what they were when I had them!

My father was born in 1895.He had a sister born in 1885.She and her husband were the grandparents I never had.

• Like 1

Eric had a fall last weekend in our master bathroom.   He is orthostatic and if he gets up to quick his blood pressure can drop into the 60/40 range.     I guess this happened the other night when he went to go.      He was in some pain but said nothing was broken just twisted himself when he went to fall and wanting to avoid hitting his head on vanity and/or tile floor. 

While after 2 days of pain this week I called primary and he went for x-rays Wednesday afternoon.    They called this morning and said he has a fracture of his sacrum.     They said not much can be done but I just set up appt. to see the ortho doc on Monday afternoon.     Primary said to avoid any excessive/stressful activities and ortho will probably recommend some PT to start in a week or two.      For now, he is to take tylenol.   He's not in a lot of pain so that's good.   The only time he really feels the pain is in bed especially if he tries to turn from back to side.    

So sorry Debbie this happened to Eric. I hope he recovers quickly. I always thought the Sacrum was called the "Tailbone."

1 hour ago, Arzeena said:

Passing CUBA an hour ish ago.image.thumb.png.3af274ae55b8a92d76d40bbe7d8e552f.png

Wow so close. Too bad you couldn't stop there. Everyone who I know that has had Cuba as a port loved it.

54 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Our son and daughter-in-law just told us they and  their posse have rented a bus and driver to pick them up at the Louisville airport. 
They made up their own bourbon trail itinerary and are including Bowling Green to pay homage to the birthplace of their cars. 
Now that’s responsible drinking!!

I think that would be the way to do it and so much fun. The Bourbon Trail is something I really want to do but you need time. With 37 distilleries, it's hard to pick just one favorite. Some are as close as eight miles and others are as far as 70 miles apart.

24 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

I wanted to try this place, only because it looks so unique.  I have no takers. 

B91BA0F8-6359-4CC0-9CA9-873D2C1CF8A9.thumb.jpeg.8b1ebf4f5be1526274d074ff39bafc91.jpeg

227E1E53-0AB7-4C1B-ADD4-58B0E061A8B7.thumb.jpeg.61be97d8246d423365f985aeb458ec0c.jpeg

0796580D-2C3E-4E9D-B0A7-17648E61C25D.thumb.jpeg.87deebfdedc8588d204f5966cdff7b43.jpeg

D7FA035D-B5C4-4733-8F42-22D78BC0F7DD.thumb.jpeg.15408a2e7636a574501cc4d7f2fdf0da.jpeg

Grandkids shan’t Landshark tonight, so that’s where we are headed. 

That place looks incredible. How fun!

20 minutes ago, Sea Viewer said:

We slso have gotten negative tests today,now packing can begin.

Great news. I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So sorry this happened to Eric.  Hoping he has a full recovery!

35 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

Sorrento’s is better than the pizza at Costco and better than many of the chain pizza restaurants.I also enjoy Pizza Hut.

Goodness, any pizza is better than Costco's.  Quite a few years ago it was much better than it is now.  I used to eat their hot dogs until I found out one has 1,000 mg sodium. No thanks.

• Like 2

Now this is Weird? I just got an email from Cruise Critic saying my rank has increased.

21824864_ScreenShot2022-07-15at4_47_26PM.thumb.png.c0b27c392192c1aa0b063be0e4a6651f.png

But if you look at my profile pic of one of my posts it says I have 4.7K posts. Kinda late don't you think???😉

Screen Shot 2022-07-15 at 4.47.05 PM.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 12

20 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Wow so close. Too bad you couldn't stop there. Everyone who I know that has had Cuba as a port loved it.

I totally agree. We did a Cuba cruise and LOVED it. Would definitely do it again if things opened up. It was 3 nights in Cuba and then other western Caribbean ports.

It was Holland America out of Boston. Many families onboard, especially grand parents taking kids and grand kids to see their "bonita" Cuba. 

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

@h20skibum

Take the kids here, the kids will not be disappointed, It's located in The Market Common, really cool area.

1220 Moser Dr, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577

The place is called " The Crazy Mason Milk Shake Bar"  It's cool just to sit there and all the amazing things they can do with a milk shake....................Grab a table first and watch and then go up and place your order. That will give you an idea just how large these shakes are.............Heck you can even share them.

https://www.thecrazymason.com/our-menu/

Curious where you are staying, we stayed at Holiday Inn Club Vacations South Beach Resort off  of Ocean Blvd by Mytle Beach Airport.

Was this the place you were last year and had uploaded a photo of kids with their shakes?    Looks delicious and worthy of a belly ache😁

39 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

They saw 3 bears but thankfully just from their car.  No bears sighted on their hikes.E10300FF-ADB1-454D-9AE2-388A225B3CB2.thumb.jpeg.bd6596197c65257f73994e40fa75e6d7.jpeg

Great information on the bear differences.      I hope I never see a grizzly or black bear up close enough to see how long their nails are.  

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Was this the place you were last year and had uploaded a photo of kids with their shakes?    Looks delicious and worthy of a belly ache😁

Yes..........The little kids there just love the place. The shakes in front of the little girl, the shake in the middle has a huge piece of cake right on top of the shake. Amazing!!

There is a bowling alley there, pool tables and bar there also. Little bit of snack food too I think if I remember right.

20210929_191029_01.jpg

20210929_193156.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 11

19 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Yes..........The little kids there just love the place. The shakes in front of the little girl, the shake in the middle has a huge piece of cake right on top of the shake. Amazing!!

There is a bowling alley there, pool tables and bar there also. Little bit of snack food too I think if I remember right.

20210929_191029_01.jpg

20210929_193156.jpg

Those look really good.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

20210929_191029_01.jpg

20210929_193156.jpg

YUM🤩

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aussielozzie18 said:

They saw 3 bears but thankfully just from their car.  No bears sighted on their hikes. 

My friend who lives closer to the coast then we do sent me this picture yesterday.  The bear walked between her house and her neighbor's house and then across the street.  They are more common in her area then in mine.  I would love to see a bear in my yard!

Resized_20220714_123858.thumb.jpeg.f619c7cea4952d0c3a8dc9ac50c5bd99.jpeg

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Those look really good.  

I don't think it's like working at  a regular Ice Cream shop, you almost have to be an artist to work there and make those shakes like that. Once you get one you almost don't want to eat it and mess it up they are a work of art.  

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Where is it fractured?

8 minutes ago, Keksie said:

My friend who lives closer to the coast then we do sent me this picture yesterday.  The bear walked between her house and her neighbor's house and then across the street.  They are more common in her area then in mine.  I would love to see a bear in my yard!

Resized_20220714_123858.thumb.jpeg.f619c7cea4952d0c3a8dc9ac50c5bd99.jpeg

My neighbor here in Virginia said he saw a black bear right behind our house up on the hill behind our houses.

Said he saw it grab a deer and pick it up and throw it down. Not sure if he is all BS or not. Either way, when I go out there with my golf cart, I now have one of those loud  can air horns just incase I see a bear charging me.

Just yesterday my neighbor texted me again and said he saw it again..............he thinks there is a den out there in the brush.........Said this time he got a better look at it and said it's the largest bear he has ever seen around here............I think the only way I would get a good picture of it, is if it walked up into our back yard.

When we first moved in, all the neighbors said to watch for bears, but been here a year and half and we have yet to see one.

Would suck to see one walk up to our hot tub and grab one of us. 😲

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3