Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Good luck with your decision.  

As for me, I would never want to go back to working.  Once I retired, I often wondered how I had time to work, since my days have been filled.  

I'm 56 and probably won't retire for several years.

Eric is 63 and he plans on hanging in with current job and retire around 65.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Eric rowed for univ of penn (not to be confused with Penn State) in the late 70s.  

My niece by marriage,married to my nephew grew up in your part of PA and is a graduate of Penn.Her late father was an Orthopedic Surgeon in the area.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

Went to a Broadway musical “Come From Away” this afternoon.  It is based on the events in the Newfoundland town of Gander where 38 international aircraft had to be diverted and land at the Gander Airport due to the US airspace being closed because of the terrorist attacks that had just taken place in New York, Washington D.C. and Shanksville, Pennsylvania.  The townsfolk shared tremendous hospitality and kindness to these stranded travelers during that week following the attacks.  It is a heavy theme and very moving but thank goodness there were some light moments in there with a few lively songs and dance numbers.  I had to look up where Gander is.  Just looking at the pictures, I bet it’s beautiful place to visit.

5F43B661-1603-472C-9033-41B64DAFC41B.thumb.png.841f1728f1e592ff091c5cb8a21b0bb0.png

10 hours ago, George C said:

That was one of the best plays we had ever seen on broadway, amazing show, would love to see it again.

"Come From Away" is a great play. Quite possibly one of the last Broadway plays I went to before the pandemic.  Typically, my wife & I would go 2-3 times a years to the TKTS discount ticket booth in Times Square. They would sell same-day tickets to shows that were not yet sold out so you have to go with an open mind as you won't know which shows are available that day. While waiting in line, a few people were talking about how great the show is so we bought the tickets, not really knowing what to expect.

Great story, great music & acting. Some heavy moments but also a few hopefully and inspirational moments as well.  The Broadway show is scheduled to end this October and now that Broadway has finally lifted the mask mandate, I'm going to try to catch it one more time.  Might have to pay full price this time.

Dozen of YouTube videos that recount the true story as well as clips from the play. Just type in 'Gander 9/11'  into the search bar. Not sure why it hasn't been turned into a movie yet.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I hope your daughter is asymptomatic with her Covid.

Glad to hear Sarah his feeling better, even though she's still testing positive.

Awesome!!!!!

I will have to remember to stop there for the chips!

Thanks,Maryann.I talked to her last night.She said she felt better but she sounded congested to me.We spoke by phone a few minutes ago and she sounded much better.

She is in bed with the family dog.He was under the cover.He found the TV remote and was playing with it.

• Like 4

Just now, Sunshine3601 said:

It is an Excellent school.   

Yes,I know that.When she first entered one of her professors asked her if she knew what she would like to major in.She replied English.He asked why and she said she wanted to write the Great American Novel.

However,somewhere she changed her mind and is a Medical Doctor .

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

So do the weeds!!!!!🤷‍♀️

Not my grass. I went from mowing the law every 4 days to once every 2 weeks. Last time, it was like I was mowing dry, dusty straw. 😀

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

On the humor thread I saw a post that said if you saw someone at a movie theater concession stand buying popcorn, candy and soda that person was a drug dealer because only those people had that much money.  😜

I do have something in common with a drug dealer. I smuggle my candy in. 😇 A box of M&M cost more than the movie ticket. 

I am a sucker for the 55 gallon bucket of popcorn though. Always fresh and buttery.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

52 minutes ago, helen haywood said:

There was a book written about the Gander experience called, I think, The Day The World Came To Town.

35 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Thank you! After the earlier posts about Come From Away I was thinking this would be an interesting story to read. My friend Google didn’t find any book by that name and I hadn’t yet searched the more generic “book about Gander 9/11”.  I think I’ll be ordering this from Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/Day-World-Came-Town-Newfoundland/dp/0060559713/ref=asc_df_0060559713/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312674999652&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7712178669493028294&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004212&hvtargid=pla-435021909520&psc=1

Also, there is a book called "Channel of Peace", a first hand account from one of the people stranded.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yes, I watched 2 episodes of Dark Winds about a week ago.   It does look good; however, I watched right before bed and then had some bizarre nightmare that night.  

I have other episodes recorded and eventually will watch just not right before bed.

Thanks. I'll check it out eventually but first need to clear some DVR space & watch a few other shows that have been on my NetFlix / Prime / HBO MAX watch list for the better part of the year.

And good luck in deciding if you want to return to the office. Sounds like an excellent opportunity that does not come around very often, in a comfortable & familiar work enviroment.  Not that you asked for my advice but I say go for it, as long as you can return to what you are doing now with no hard feelings if things don't work out or you change your mind later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I do have something in common with a drug dealer. I smuggle my candy in. 😇 A box of M&M cost more than the movie ticket. 

I am a sucker for the 55 gallon bucket of popcorn though. Always fresh and buttery.

I smuggle in tequila, I do buy a margarita but enhance it . 

• Like 4

Good afternoon.

It is 77°F and partly sunny in our back garden now.

I'm delighted to say our Sarah has tested negative.

She has been poorly and isolated at home while she was positive.

She has gone out to celebrate.

Graham.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yesterday I received a phone call from a past CFO from a job that I worked in the 90's.    He had opened up his own business about 15 yrs and had previously asked me to come work in his acctg. department.     I always turned him down as I have enjoyed what I have been doing for many years.    I still do it enjoy (most days); however, the real estate/mortgage market has really slowed down this year.    So I decided I will meet him at his office this week and see what he has to offer.       

As I could always speak upfront with this person I mentioned that I have a couple of future cruises booked and time to spend at our shore house in the Fall and would that be a problem.    He said absolutely Not.      I asked if I would need to bring laptop and work while I am traveling and he said absolutely Not.    Salary would more than I am making now but I would have to go to the office every day.        I would really miss the option of working from home but would be nice to get back to an office atmosphere on a regular basis.    

I am torn.   Eric says I should go for it as he knows I am bored with work right now.    

I have an appt. on Tuesday to meet with him and discuss in detail and meet his staff.    

Wish me luck as I wrestled with all the pros and cons in bed last night.   

Debbie, it sounds like a wonderful opportunity.  It's great that your cruise times will not be affected.  Sounds like he really wants you "on board". Good luck with whatever you choose.  

2 hours ago, George C said:

There is a air show in Ft Worth every October, they also have either the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels , have done it many years but not recently, the company Shelagh works for always has a couple of large tents and host the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds. 

We saw the Blue Angels fly over where we lived a few years ago.  Beautiful formation!

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

Does your BIL C miss living in Brooklyn ? I miss living there but I mean the Brooklyn that I lived in many years ago.

I have no idea.  He never mentioned it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Yesterday I received a phone call from a past CFO from a job that I worked in the 90's.    He had opened up his own business about 15 yrs and had previously asked me to come work in his acctg. department.     I always turned him down as I have enjoyed what I have been doing for many years.    I still do it enjoy (most days); however, the real estate/mortgage market has really slowed down this year.    So I decided I will meet him at his office this week and see what he has to offer.       

As I could always speak upfront with this person I mentioned that I have a couple of future cruises booked and time to spend at our shore house in the Fall and would that be a problem.    He said absolutely Not.      I asked if I would need to bring laptop and work while I am traveling and he said absolutely Not.    Salary would more than I am making now but I would have to go to the office every day.        I would really miss the option of working from home but would be nice to get back to an office atmosphere on a regular basis.    

I am torn.   Eric says I should go for it as he knows I am bored with work right now.    

I have an appt. on Tuesday to meet with him and discuss in detail and meet his staff.    

Wish me luck as I wrestled with all the pros and cons in bed last night.   

Good luck with your decision. I know it must be hard. Take the meeting with an open mind. Money is better maybe look at it as future cruise funding.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, George C said:

I smuggle in tequila, I do buy a margarita but enhance it . 

In my much younger days when I did not have a date to go to the movies, my brother and I would go frequently to see all the new features.

But there was always one catch.

My purse had to be big enough to hold the cans of beer.

The bigger the better.

We usually froze a couple cans and placed them in my purse.

All was good till one movie he popped a top at a too quiet scene, luckily we were not busted.

Um, I do not drink beer.

But those were the days.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, DaniDanielle said:

Gone again

Marietta, if you want to give me your #phone (and if you don't have Whatsapp, I can't send you an invite), so that I can alert you quickly, pls. send an email to pninab9 at gmail dot com. Subject: "For Dani". It will be forwarded to me...

The cabin was free at least 2.5 hours, I've checked periodically. BTW, the rate was 5333 including grats.

• Like 8