Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

I know you like Suites on Royal, but if you had to you could book just a JS and survive right? The GS is only about 120 square feet larger then a JS, so you would still be okay.

So that extra money you are paying for is what you are paying for that beer and wine in the cabin and the ability to go to CK.

I guess if you can drink lots and lots of beer and wine on top of your diamond plus 5 drinks  a day it might be worth it. Depends to I guess how much you like to drink, We did a 14 night cruise this past September, My Wife and I used our 5 drinks a day each for the first 10 or 11 days after that, we just kind of got tired trying to use all our drinks each day and then to try to drink beer and wine on top of that, just not for us.

We like the 3 hour happy hour and CK for breakfast and lunch , concierge is huge for us along with being walked off at embarkation, we had a issue with a rude hostess at chops on last cruise getting the time we wanted , during happy hour a senior officer was asking us how our cruise was going and I mentioned our problem with chops , he immediately got on concierge phone and called chops on next visit to chops hostess and manager were bending over backwards to make us happy. We never stayed in a junior suite but I did see one and they are very nice. I am definitely a heavy drinker specially on a cruise . 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Thanks. I needed to book another cruise in order to get a block on the Icon. I know where my priorities are. 😁

😆 We thought about it too.  We decided to get our first block on the next cruise.   Our DD has always wanted to cruise Alaska so we thought it would be a good memory for her if we get a block on Ovation when we cruise with her in June.

Will Sharon and I each get one?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Arzeena said:

We did the Ruby to Hawaii (16 days sailing) some years ago Rt out of LA. (San Pedro). The itinerary was great, more than enough sea days going and coming back. But what I loved most was the "culture immersion". They had a Hawaiian host couple on board who directed Hawaiian shows, food, stories, classes, sing alongs, sarong tying, hula classes, lei making etc etc etc. I enjoyed that a lot. Princess employs these hosts. We had an ocean view cabin on deck 8 aft supposedly obstructed, but there was not an inch of obstruction and our window looked straight out at the water.  I met a lot of great cruisers then and still am in touch with a couple. Very international crowd on that one.

We did the same, except it was on the Grand out of SF.   They did have a lot of Hawaiian culture things to occupy those fours sea days. 

Princess was doing their M&M’s different at that time, in that someone had to take the initiative to organize the group.  I think it ended up being the largest M&M we were ever at.   We met a great couple from the Bay Area, and he was the one who organized it.  They sail that itinerary to Hawaii three or four times a year.

• Like 1

Our first cruise was with Princess in 1999 celebrating our 20th anniversary.  We were chased by a hurricane!  Waves got so bad a big heavy jewelry case was tipped over and smashed.  Next day we pulled up to an island, started tendering and then they called them back and left.  After our 1st tough cruise we still got hooked on cruising.

• Like 5

Hello from LBI.    We decided to come down for just the day that way we don't have to pack our sheets, towels, etc. to stay the night.   We arrived around 9 am.    Boy, we sure do have great tenants (other than can opener lady) everything is in tip top shape.   I feel like we don't have to do a thing.   Eric put away lawn/patio furniture/flower pots and cleaned the grill while I mopped floors and cleaned the fridge (bathrooms were left spotless).   

We do not have any winter tenants this year so we will come back down early spring and power wash the house and decks and clean windows.   

We just had a fabulous brunch at Terrace Tavern.   I had Jersey shore shakshuka made with hot sausage bolognese - delicious.    Eric had a crab meat omelet that had lots of jumbo lump crabmeat.   

It is a beautiful sunny day, calm seas (I forgot my phone when I went to the beach - sorry no photos).

Next I will head to my favorite used book store at Bay Village and turn in some books I read this summer and see if they have any from my list to read.    

I love the island when it is empty and the majority of traffic lights are off (just flash yellow).   So peaceful but it is a chilly 55.

• Like 16

52 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

😆 We thought about it too.  We decided to get our first block on the next cruise.   Our DD has always wanted to cruise Alaska so we thought it would be a good memory for her if we get a block on Ovation when we cruise with her in June.

Will Sharon and I each get one?

No, just one block unless your C&A accounts aren't linked.

• Thanks 1

@Lionesss Baking for a wedding is a lovely custom. I recall you posting about baking cookies for a wedding awhile ago.

Are the baking requests given by friends,family or through a church?

In our area of NY, wedding receptions are usually done in catering halls. restaurants and ,in our immediate neighborhood, vineyards.

I have never attended a local wedding where homemade baked goods were offered. 
Interesting to read about customs from various areas.

Thank you for the post, I am certain that your kolachi was delicious!

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Thanks. I needed to book another cruise in order to get a block on the Icon. I know where my priorities are. 😁

When you are aboard Odyssey could you post what they are charging for internet please?

In February I'll be expecting to hear all about Icon!

• Like 1

It is a beautiful sunny Southern New England day but a little cool. I had to put on sweat pants to bike today...

20231111_133943.thumb.jpg.601aba544b49a1f5e706136550a9990f.jpg

Shadow decided to tag along...

20231111_133844.thumb.jpg.a50d9c6890d372c93eb6485fc0901be6.jpg

I dislike it when people refer to the Atlantic as "the pond" however, today it is acting like a pond...

20231111_133702.thumb.jpg.a331d176b333634ef44333913a7df3d6.jpg

20231111_133736.thumb.jpg.120574d8c3196bf3c862973d9be35dd1.jpg

20231111_133750.jpg

• Like 25

2 hours ago, George C said:

We like the 3 hour happy hour and CK for breakfast and lunch , concierge is huge for us along with being walked off at embarkation, we had a issue with a rude hostess at chops on last cruise getting the time we wanted , during happy hour a senior officer was asking us how our cruise was going and I mentioned our problem with chops , he immediately got on concierge phone and called chops on next visit to chops hostess and manager were bending over backwards to make us happy. We never stayed in a junior suite but I did see one and they are very nice. I am definitely a heavy drinker specially on a cruise . 

During the 3 hour happy hour, do those drinks count toward your 5 free drinks per day.

We didn't have a good experience at Giovanni's. Just went there once during our 14 day cruise. Didn't want to deal with them again.

2 hours ago, George C said:

I see how much you enjoy your suites and drinks. I don't think you have to justify that and I don't believe anyone should be telling you how to spend your own money for your enjoyment. I always like to read about your cruises, your suites and what you do in your daily life. Enjoy everything you do to the fullest! Cheers!

• Like 10

Let's get this party started. Oh wait, the rum tasting is tomorrow. Good thing the vendors brought rum to taste for the seminars today. I think Mike was a little light on his pours of the Estate Reserve 15 Year. He should know better by now! 😂

20231111_133315.thumb.jpg.6005490751aa94fae651e4b0d8a89671.jpg

20231111_135723.thumb.jpg.67e2edeb1c5eaa5784187e74985ff6d4.jpg

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 12

15 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Let's get this party started. Oh wait, the rum tasting is tomorrow. Good thing the vendors brought rum to taste for the seminars today. I think Mike was a little light on his pours of the Estate Reserve 15 Year. He should know better by now! 😂

Looks fun! Wish they were tasting that Appleton Estate 17 year old.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Yummy!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

During the 3 hour happy hour, do those drinks count toward your 5 free drinks per day.

We didn't have a good experience at Giovanni's. Just went there once during our 14 day cruise. Didn't want to deal with them again.

We loved Giovanni’s on allure went there a few times, I didn’t like their food on a couple of other ships . No the drinks during happy hour do not count against our 5 free drinks, so on allure we didn’t buy any drinks, but we normally buy a good bottle of wine with most dinners , of course we bring on two and we do get a 40 percent off on wines under a hundred so we can normally find a good bottle about 90 , Giovanni’s on allure had the best wine list on the ship . As you can see we do splurge on vacations. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Keksie said:

Breakfast this morning.

Resized_20231111_063227.thumb.jpeg.e4568ad4a594fbfa987a0d37ddc24985.jpeg

It's amazing how close all 4 of your  cats look like the 4 we had until we lost Gracie(Green Bowl) back in June.

They look so much like them I don't even have the heart to show this picture to my Wife. 😞

20210725_200037.jpg

20210725_185002.jpg

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 12

2 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

It's amazing how close all 4 of your  cats look like the 4 we had until we lost Gracie(Green Bowl) back in June.

They look so much like them I don't even have the heart to show this picture to my Wife. 😞

We lost our cat Gracie last year, took Joebob to the vet today wanted to be sure he was ok before leaving on vacation in two weeks, he get a shot for his arthritis too so that was another 400. Joebob is now 16 .

• Like 10

So right now I'm watching a Hallmark movie called Mystic Christmas. It was filmed in Mystic Ct. Thought I'd watch it to see the local locations. So my question is how can these Hallmark movies be so painful to watch and how can my mother like this channel so much?😦

• Like 1
  • Haha 15

We left our happy place and heading back home.  

I forgot to mention.  We had closing on Eric's Mom's home on Thursday afternoon.  The buyers realtor tried to get a last minute  (hour before closing)  $2000 credit towards closing cost. 

Not sure if her buyers didn't realize how much actual closing costs would be but we said No and closed.

Now that is sold Eric has to drop off the PA Inheritance tax forms for the Estate at Register of Wills office at the courthouse this week.   

I think we have told his Brother how probate of an estate works at least a half dozen times but he continues to ask the same questions.  Uggghh!!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

20210725_200037.jpg

20210725_185002.jpg

Wow that is really close.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

How is it cost wise continue Royal? More expensive? Cheaper? I’ve heard good things about them. Do they do  loyalty match?

@Sea Dog Greg, I find it a little more expensive, but that is mainly because of the DP340 discount I receive with Royal.  Other than that, IMO, I think they are very comparable.  
No they don’t loyalty match, even among their own brands (Carnival, Holland, Seaborne, Cunard, etc.)

I like Royal’s generous loyalty perks but Princess does have an option for $60 pppd that covers your gratuities, wifi for one device, unlimited (15) drinks per day, and some other “stuff”.  To me, that is a no brainer.🍸🍷 They also have a pkg for $80 pppd.

I personally like Princess, but then I am also at their top tier.  I started sailing with them about 12 years ago when Royal and X left the West Coast because of all the problems in Mexico.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

In Honolulu today, 🌺

• Like 10