Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

6 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

As @George C noted, we're watching the Bills game on Sunday afternoon.  Then home to change out of our Bills gear and into something a little fancier for dinner with 3 other couples at 7:30. We might be able to make the big New Year's Eve event here...the shrimp drop (instead of a ball drop) and fireworks. Yes...shrimping is a big deal here, the birth place of the modern shrimping industry.  The shrimp drop happens at 7:00 instead of midnight.  They use 7:00 since that's midnight GMT, it allows it to be a more family friendly event, and so that everyone can be at home and in bed by 10:00. 😁

Here's the shrimp drop from 2019 before covid.  I expect similar crowds this year.

Doesn't it actually start at the international date line passes midnight. 

33 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Reading the various posts about different cable companies dropping major networks has pushed me even closer to cutting the cord. I've been think about it for a year now, maybe even longer  And as much as I wanted to get away from Verizon Wireless service, they actually have some good deals where you can get discounts on Verizon Internet service & also bundle streaming services together for even bigger savings, such as Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+  or MAX/Netflix. Granted, they are the basic service with commercials but still can add up to significant monthly savings. 

And just got a email from Amazon that starting end of Jan, they will be adding commercials to Prime service. Unless I want to upgrade for $2.99 a month. 😡

I'd suggest switching to YouTube TV but they've had negotiation issues with specific broadcasters in the past as well.  Not sure there's any way to avoid it.  It usually means that the broadcaster wants more money from the cable company/streaming service to allow them to include their content.  That means either the cable company/streaming service makes less money, or they need to pass on a price increase to us, the consumers who are stuck in the middle.  It usually ends up being a game of chicken where a broadcaster like CBS is temporarily dropped from the service.  The cable company/streaming service then has upset customers who switch to a different service, while the broadcaster like CBS loses eyeballs and advertising money.  Eventually, either one side or the other folds, or they come to a compromise, and the broadcaster is again available to use consumers.

I also got the notice about Prime Video adding commercials.  Yuck.  I'll probably pay the $2.99 per month hostage fee just to avoid the commercials.  It's not a lot of money, but it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  We buy a LOT from Amazon, so I'll instead view it as the price going up for all of the free Prime shipping that we get.  Feels better that way.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

Doesn't it actually start at the international date line passes midnight. 

I believe you are correct.  I think they picked GMT for the shrimp drop purely because it lines up nicely with 7:00pm here...a good time to include kids and be done early in the evening. 😁

2 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I'd suggest switching to YouTube TV but they've had negotiation issues with specific broadcasters in the past as well.  Not sure there's any way to avoid it.  It usually means that the broadcaster wants more money from the cable company/streaming service to allow them to include their content.  That means either the cable company/streaming service makes less money, or they need to pass on a price increase to us, the consumers who are stuck in the middle.  It usually ends up being a game of chicken where a broadcaster like CBS is temporarily dropped from the service.  The cable company/streaming service then has upset customers who switch to a different service, while the broadcaster like CBS loses eyeballs and advertising money.  Eventually, either one side or the other folds, or they come to a compromise, and the broadcaster is again available to use consumers.

I also got the notice about Prime Video adding commercials.  Yuck.  I'll probably pay the $2.99 per month hostage fee just to avoid the commercials.  It's not a lot of money, but it really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  We buy a LOT from Amazon, so I'll instead view it as the price going up for all of the free Prime shipping that we get.  Feels better that way.

Thanks for the recommendation for “All the light we cannot see” watched a couple then to change the pace watched a Wednesday, always loved the Adams family which I just discovered I can watch on demand from MGM on dish.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

I believe you are correct.  I think they picked GMT for the shrimp drop purely because it lines up nicely with 7:00pm here...a good time to include kids and be done early in the evening. 😁

And dark enough for fireworks,

• Like 1

One more thing about the Prime increase...I take advantage of Amazon Prime photos.  It's a little known part of Amazon Prime where you get unlimited photo storage.  I automatically back up all of my photos from my phone and my computer to Amazon Prime photos.  I therefore don't both with any other photo backup system.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, George C said:

Thanks for the recommendation for “All the light we cannot see” watched a couple then to change the pace watched a Wednesday, always loved the Adams family which I just discovered I can watch on demand from MGM on dish.

We just started watching Glitch on Netflix, as recommended by Lenny.  Only one episode in but we're hooked.  We like that genre...somewhat SciFi (without being over the top SciFi) and somewhat thriller.  Thanks Lenny!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HBE4 said:

Reading the various posts about different cable companies dropping major networks has pushed me even closer to cutting the cord. I've been think about it for a year now, maybe even longer  And as much as I wanted to get away from Verizon Wireless service, they actually have some good deals where you can get discounts on Verizon Internet service & also bundle streaming services together for even bigger savings, such as Hulu/Disney+/ESPN+  or MAX/Netflix. Granted, they are the basic service with commercials but still can add up to significant monthly savings. 

And just got a email from Amazon that starting end of Jan, they will be adding commercials to Prime service. Unless I want to upgrade for $2.99 a month. 😡

There are commercials currently on Prime FreeVee 

4 hours ago, h20skibum said:

Here at the beach house we rented, we have free Disney+, and free Netflix, courtesy of a couple families that evidently rented before our stay.

Just a friendly reminder to anyone who logs in to their streaming service at a rental, or at a hotel.  Don’t forget to log out of the service before you leave.

I am always reminding Susan to log out, everywhere we go.

Yep.  My son learnt this lesson at the end of the ski season last year…

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We just started watching Glitch on Netflix, as recommended by Lenny.  Only one episode in but we're hooked.  We like that genre...somewhat SciFi (without being over the top SciFi) and somewhat thriller.  Thanks Lenny!

You are welcome .If you watched Money Heist on Netflix a Prequel called Berlin is starting tomorrow.Several of the actors from Money Heist will be on this series.

1 hour ago, cruiselvr04 said:

All 10 of our kids and grands that have been here since Saturday just left.  The house is already too quiet. It might be time for a nap before I start cleaning and washing all the linens. The dog is exhausted and already sacked out beside me. 

Our kids left this morning, 3 loads done, of course they are all in a pile on the bed in spare room.  Enjoying the silence for today, nice to my hoyse back, will miss them tomorrow.

For those watching Glitch on Netflix, which one?  There is a 2109 and 2022 series with that name.  Missed it if mentioned before.

• Like 2

Just reading some of the post about the world cruise made me think of another contest. 
It could be either the biggest looser             ( weight) or the biggest gainer. 

I can only imagine the discipline I would need to control my eating habits. And of course all those drinks, well calories add up. 

They should provide a shopping excursion on the last few weeks of the cruise to provide the opportunity to buy new clothes in a larger size. 
I am sure we will be hearing comments about weight gain. 
or 

The pictures will be of facial profiles. 
Nothing below the neck to be included. 

But 

I am glad reading all about it. 

Be safe. 

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, akcruz said:

Our kids left this morning, 3 loads done, of course they are all in a pile on the bed in spare room.  Enjoying the silence for today, nice to my hoyse back, will miss them tomorrow.

For those watching Glitch on Netflix, which one?  There is a 2109 and 2022 series with that name.  Missed it if mentioned before.

Glitch was on from 2015 to 2019.It is an Australian production.

• Like 1

We had the NYE discussion last night. A lot of the usually paid ticketed sites in Sydney  are free this year but as NYE will be on a weekend, they will fill up early.  We don’t fancy spending all day at the viewing sites waiting for the midnight fireworks.  

I am happy to do nothing as we have a really busy couple of months ahead - interstate family visit, overseas visitors for dad, our annual beach holiday, a cruise, a short break and then I am heading over to Canada to see the “kids”.

DH is keen to do something though. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, aussielozzie18 said:

We had the NYE discussion last night. A lot of the usually paid ticketed sites in Sydney  are free this year but as NYE will be on a weekend, they will fill up early.  We don’t fancy spending all day at the viewing sites waiting for the midnight fireworks.  

I am happy to do nothing as we have a really busy couple of months ahead - interstate family visit, overseas visitors for dad, our annual beach holiday, a cruise, a short break and then I am heading over to Canada to see the “kids”.

DH is keen to do something though. 

We invited the DD over but she declined as I think she just wants a quiet evening.  So we will probably just get some take out (rare for us anymore) and toast to the New Year in comfy clothes in front of the TV.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, HBE4 said:

While Christmas Day has passed, it's still the Christmas Season so watching Christmas movies is still okay.  Just watched "The Main Who Invented Christmas" on Prime & found it not only enjoyable but also very interesting. 

It's the a semi-true, semi-fantasy story of how Charles Dickens wrote " A Christmas Carol". The fantasy part refers what went thru Dickens mind as he was struggling to write the book in record time but many of the facts in the movie are true, at least according to the rabbit hole of websites I fell into last night looking up all the details of his life. 😛

That’s a good one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

One more thing about the Prime increase...I take advantage of Amazon Prime photos.  It's a little known part of Amazon Prime where you get unlimited photo storage.  I automatically back up all of my photos from my phone and my computer to Amazon Prime photos.  I therefore don't both with any other photo backup system.

I back my entire phone up to a Samsung SSD. I feel better with backups in my physical possession. 

It’s all happening on the Northern Beaches this week.  Firstly, packages of barnacle encrusted cocaine are washing up on the beaches.  Second a poor sunfish died near Shelley Beach attracting sharks so they had to close Manly Beach yesterday and last night there was bioluminescence at most of the beaches.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Momof3gurlz said:

I know Christmas is officially behind us, but we’re still celebrating with various family members.  We hosted Christmas Eve, just 6 adults and two little ones. A few pictures from that night.

This is Jess, Sam, Abby and Ellie (with baby brother to be, all tucked away)

IMG_2789.thumb.jpeg.047cda87f69bce3fda4b84dae518c342.jpeg

Abby with Nana & Papa

IMG_0492.thumb.jpeg.6a0b1860ba268da50bee815f5359740e.jpeg

The beef ready to carve

IMG_2794.thumb.jpeg.4ff929a024cbf894f34b38ac4db410d5.jpeg

Nana with Abby & Ellie

IMG_1304.thumb.jpeg.fc2a7023c812a2193bbfd47a85668e3f.jpeg

Christmas Day we had brunch at Jess & Sam’s, but no photos. 
Yesterday we drove down to PA for a quick overnight to celebrate Christmas with Cristina and her family.  Traffic was terrible in both directions, but worth it to see them.  
Here’s Nana playing Santa with Will, Teddy and Andrew. 
IMG_6736.thumb.jpeg.17cd006d1bd2f426db4612678b5b862b.jpeg

And finally, tomorrow we drive up to Rensselaer NY to take Andy’s Mom to lunch and exchange gifts with her.  Three hours up and 3 hours home - if we’re lucky. 
I already feel like I picked up something from one of the boys. Today I just feel tired and achy all over with no appetite. It’ll be a game day call tomorrow morning if I go because I certainly don’t want to get my 87 yr old MIL sick. I’m also going to test tomorrow before leaving, just to be safe for her.  
We have no plans for New Year’s and I’m okay with that!

What’s everyone doing? (aside from those who are on vacation of course)

Precious photos!🤗