Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

🌷 To those celebrating the New Jewish Year this evening, wishing you a happy and healthy one 🌷

DH is in the kitchen since yesterday morning --

stuffed fish - check

chopped liver - check

chicken soup - nope [too hot today]

apple slices dipped in honey - check [for a sweet new year]

I see a nice chunk of meat in marinade waiting to be prepared, along with baby potatoes.

The tradition calls also for a honey cake...

But the kids asked for my chocolate soufflé, and I was more than happy to oblige...

My "share" being done, I'm off to the swimming pool, since for the next 2 days of holiday it will be closed 😉

DSC_4743_stitch.jpg

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones. I hope it’s a better one for all of us!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

🌷 To those celebrating the New Jewish Year this evening, wishing you a happy and healthy one 🌷

stuffed fish - check

chopped liver - check

I see a nice chunk of meat in marinade waiting to be prepared, along with baby potatoes.

But the kids asked for my chocolate soufflé, and I was more than happy to oblige...

My "share" being done, I'm off to the swimming pool, since for the next 2 days of holiday it will be closed 😉

DSC_4743_stitch.jpg

Happy New year Dani.

Graham & Pauline.

Screenshot_20210906_140732.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

We like it and usually over eat it when we are here.  Most Skyline locations are in Ohio. There a few others outside the state.  Some locals in Cincinnati serve a similar dish and call it Cincinnati Chili.  I have been able lately to find Skyline chili mix packages at some Kroger stores in the south.  Amazon has it sometimes too.  The first time we stopped this trip Caden said he thinks he likes mom’s better.   But he also gives my pizza an A- and mom’s an A+.  

Having lived in Cincinnati many years, I've become something of a Cincinnati Chili expert.  There are 2 main Cincinnati Chili chains...Skyline and Gold Star.  Which you prefer is almost a religious war.  I'm a Skyline guy but Gold Star is good also.  I think that Skyline has more restaurants and is better known outside of Cincinnati.

Cincinnati chili is prepared very differently from chili in other parts of the US and it is not as "thick" as typical chili.  The ground beef is first boiled and then tomato paste and several spices are added to the boiled water.  It therefore has more of a spaghetti sauce consistency.  One of the key spices is cinnamon, which is what gives it the unique taste.  Every restaurant has their own recipe, which is typically a difference in the mix of spices that they use.  It was supposedly created in the early 1900s by Greek immigrants.  Their original restaurant, called Empress Chili, still exists but in a new location.  There are many other single location Cincinnati chili parlors that often have a dedicated following, but Skyline is king.

We had a Skyline almost exactly a mile from our house.  If I was on my own for dinner, I'd sometimes go through the drive through and get a "cheese coney with everything and a 4 way bean".  Translation...a small hot dog on a bun with chili, shredded cheddar cheese, mustard and onions (cheese coney with everything) and a plate of spaghetti with with chili, shredded cheddar cheese, and kidney beans (4 way bean).  Not exactly a healthy meal but man does it taste good.

• Like 3

stuffed fish - check

chopped liver - check

DSC_4743_stitch.jpg

We'll be having lunch at my nephew's tomorrow after synagogue services (watched at home on livestream). As tradition dictates, I will be bringing my chicken soup. I know there will be chopped liver and brisket among other delicious goodies.  Apples and honey for sure for a sweet new year.

From our house to all those who are celebrating:

Peace Dove

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

I think it was a grease fire so putting water on it was pretty stupid.

Lexi's nose is out of joint now that there's no titles for the stews.

I would think most chefs would know that water on a grease fire is a big no-no. Even I know that.

I agree on your point on Lexi. She is all about the title.

11 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have never heard of the movie.

Here is the trailer. It's really good but intense.

5 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

.  Haven’t watched it myself.  

See trailer above. It's good.

4 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Happy New Year Dani. Enjoy!!

• Thanks 2

The neighbor next door just brought us a small gift (2 mini apple cakes and 2 "pomegranate" buns). She's a great baker.

We let them use our 2 spare parking spots, and they feel they should reciprocate with "something".

They really shouldn't.

They're amazing neighbors 😁.

Yael.jpg

• Like 15

Just now, George C said:

Had a great weekend family visit in Denver, we normally visit Labor Day weekend because my niece had twins 18 years ago and now they are heading to college

image.jpeg.3f836d7ddc497a6fee6ff071316f2bb1.jpeg

Forgive the duplication and upside down picture. But here are the twins with there 16 year old sister. My 95 year old mom is doing ok considering her age , was extremely happy to see the twins mom who is recovering from brain surgery and is home but limited to visits of 20 mins , she is also auto immune problems and had her third Covid shot a week or so ago. Ended the weekend at our favorite Jewish deli and had a fantastic pastrami sandwich, we should have taken a pound   Or two to go , we have taken this on the plane before . Flying and travel is a hassle but we had a great weekend.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

There are 2 main Cincinnati Chili chains...Skyline and Gold Star

I was trying to remember Gold Star but couldn’t last night.  I tried it but I am a Skyline guy.  I can remember the Skyline locations growing out.  I remember being  surprised to finding them in Louisville too.  Florida has 5  now. I haven’t been there but looks like one is near Ft. Lauderdale.  Grab some Skyline and then go cruising sounds like a plan.

After living away from it I started making it from scratch.  I found several copycat recipes.  If it started out saying to brown the hamburger I went to the next recipe.  If it didn’t show cinnamon and chocolate I skipped it.  I took the average portions of several recipes and made it.  It was good. The kids loved it.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

The neighbor next door just brought us a small gift (2 mini apple cakes and 2 "pomegranate" buns). She's a great baker.

We let them use our 2 spare parking spots, and they feel they should reciprocate with "something".

They really shouldn't.

Yael.jpg

Dani that looks soooo good!  Let your neighbor know if she ever decides to move to the states, I will help her find a nice place in our neighborhood!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, aussielozzie18 said:

The Lighthouse movie I did watch and enjoy was The Light Between Oceans with Michael Fassbender, Alicia Vikander & Rachel Weiss.  I loved the book it was based on of the same name by LM Stedman.  An emotional read & watch.  One of better adaptations from book to screen. Cape Campbell Lighthouse on the tip of the South Island of New Zealand was the one used in the movie.

That sounds like a movie I would like!  Thanks, I just added it to my Amazon cart.  🙂 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, ericdetwiler said:

Free state of FL.  Pool, Theme parks, no masks required.  That has been my last 12 months of "lock down"

Duly noted.

Thanks for dropping by to stress your POV.

Just curious ..... since you bade "bye bye to Royal Caribbean" 11 years ago .... 😉

Edited by dani negreanu
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

We'll be having lunch at my nephew's tomorrow after synagogue services (watched at home on livestream). As tradition dictates, I will be bringing my chicken soup. I know there will be chopped liver and brisket among other delicious goodies.  Apples and honey for sure for a sweet new year.

From our house to all those who are celebrating:

Peace Dove

Chopped liver!!!

After I had my hip replaced, I spent three weeks at River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged. They have a wonderful rehab facility. I love everything about the place, but especially Fridays when dinner was chopped liver and brisket. 
Such a treat! After the three weeks, I was going to be discharged on a Friday morning. I begged to be able to stay till Saturday. 
I got to have my chopped liver again, and they laughed about the Catholic that stayed for dinner. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Having lived in Cincinnati many years, I've become something of a Cincinnati Chili expert.  There are 2 main Cincinnati Chili chains...Skyline and Gold Star.  Which you prefer is almost a religious war.  I'm a Skyline guy but Gold Star is good also.  I think that Skyline has more restaurants and is better known outside of Cincinnati.

Cincinnati chili is prepared very differently from chili in other parts of the US and it is not as "thick" as typical chili.  The ground beef is first boiled and then tomato paste and several spices are added to the boiled water.  It therefore has more of a spaghetti sauce consistency.  One of the key spices is cinnamon, which is what gives it the unique taste.  Every restaurant has their own recipe, which is typically a difference in the mix of spices that they use.  It was supposedly created in the early 1900s by Greek immigrants.  Their original restaurant, called Empress Chili, still exists but in a new location.  There are many other single location Cincinnati chili parlors that often have a dedicated following, but Skyline is king.

We had a Skyline almost exactly a mile from our house.  If I was on my own for dinner, I'd sometimes go through the drive through and get a "cheese coney with everything and a 4 way bean".  Translation...a small hot dog on a bun with chili, shredded cheddar cheese, mustard and onions (cheese coney with everything) and a plate of spaghetti with with chili, shredded cheddar cheese, and kidney beans (4 way bean).  Not exactly a healthy meal but man does it taste good.

Publix has Skyline Chili in the freezer if you get an unquenchable urge. 
And their website contains this little history. 

807452FD-B83E-488D-93F0-BE29606E7E6B.jpeg

• Like 3

TSOTD:

This is music shirts week for me.The shirt for today is a huge hit by the band who in my opinion has had the greatest influence in music of all genres.In 1964 my mom said “these boys have long hair ,in a year nobody will remember them”.

The Beatles Abbey Road.

I bought the shirt in 2004 ,a Beatles Collection tee shirt.

I will not be on line tomorrow and Wednesday.On Thursday I will be wearing a shirt by a singer who has made a great impact on music.

On Friday I will be wearing a shirt by a band that has been around nearly 50 years.

• Like 3

They really shouldn't.

Yael.jpg

What a thoughtful, beautiful tray,

4 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

Chopped liver!!!

After I had my hip replaced, I spent three weeks at River Garden Hebrew Home for the Aged. They have a wonderful rehab facility. I love everything about the place, but especially Fridays when dinner was chopped liver and brisket. 
Such a treat! After the three weeks, I was going to be discharged on a Friday morning. I begged to be able to stay till Saturday. 
I got to have my chopped liver again, and they laughed about the Catholic that stayed for dinner. 

So funny!  Actually, I couldn't stand to even look at chopped liver until I entered adulthood. Now I salivate just thinking of it. 

My mom, on occasion, used to make faux chopped liver, I think with peas.  Not the real deal of course but totally edible anyway.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Luckynana said:

I also have to get my second Shingrex shot in a couple of months.  I've never gotten as many shots as this year, between the 2 Moderna shots, my first Shingrex,  the Flu shot, and then a Booster...good grief!  

I have to get my second Shingrex,Flu shot and booster too.

• Like 2