Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

9 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

I have flown Frontier a couple of times.  They are a pretty good low frills airline.  They don’t fly from my home airport so, I don’t think of them often.  They were flying out of Branson airport (currently out of NW Arkansas (Bentonville)) and I used them for a flight to Denver, once you get there you can go pretty much wherever they go, and we flew on to Las Vegas.  I like the planes, as they have animals on the tail.  😂

They are fine, better than Allegiant, because they might do a flight or two every day instead of 2 times a week.  

I have been getting alerts that they are selling unlimited flights this summer for $399.  

It was me asking sbout Frontier as they fly out of a small airport near us which is a much easier drive then going to Philly intl airport.   And the one way fare to Tampa is only $89 pp plus bags

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

It was me asking sbout Frontier as they fly out of a small airport near us which is a much easier drive then going to Philly intl airport.   And the one way fare to Tampa is only $89 pp plus bags

If you choose to fly Frontier, JC's point about them flying a couple of times a day is an important one.  If something happens to your flight, they will not book you on another airline.  They best they will do is put you on the next Frontier flight with available seats.  That might be OK if the next flight is later that day.  Could be a big problem is the next flight is in 2 days.  Same is true with Allegiant.  It's one of the risks that you take with a low cost airline.

• Like 2

@Momof3gurlz I'm sorry you had some bad experiences on NCL but that there were some that helped to make up for it. Just you talking of your trip to Jost shows how many of us loved our time there and can't wait to get back.

With all this talk it might be the time to share our trip there.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

Glad to hear you won't be doing the dolphins, at least -- it's so cruel to the dolphins, the way they are treated.

As for the pool in the port, I've never understood the attraction.... there are pools with free food on the ship!!!  Same with the Margaritaville pool in Falmouth.... why pay money (by buying food/drinks) to go use a pool when you have a free pool on board?

Some swim the dolphins yes some no.  It all depends on the circumstances.  It is like our ambassadors at the refuge.  They are not able to be released back into the wild for a variety of reasons.  We have worked with them over the years to be able to take them to events etc.  They have a diet designed for their individual needs, a habitat designed just for them and enrichment activities each day.  So, with the dolphins if they are not releasable, carefully monitored with the swimming with people part and well taken care of I have no problem with that. 

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

I am curious too since we will be on the same cruise as you and Gary.    I was looking at the Hilton Tampa Downtown, Embassy Suites or the Hyatt Tampa Downtown yesterday.   They all look like they are close to the port and have access to the river walk area and the aquarium.    

We have very good friends that retired and moved to the Clearwater area last Fall so we hope to connect to them with them the day before our sailing. 

Any comments about the 3 hotels I noted above are appreciated or other suggestions will be greatly appreciated. 

I had a quick look on booking.com.  I'm not 100% sure where the port is compared to airport or what the area is like. Last time we were in the Tampa area was 35 years ago and that was Clearwater.  I will get down to planning soon.  We have to make a decision  if we are going to take the risk of interline air travel (staff travel) or go regular economy 🤔 

We haven't used staff travel since we both retired 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, HBE4 said:

@sgmn

Just wanted to add, there is a British Pub within walking distance of the Hyatt Place Tampa Downtown called the "Yeoman Cask and Lion". Now, I can't vouch for the authenticity of the place since I've never been to England but they sure like to make the menu items sound very British with items like "The Suffed Englishman",  "The Fergie Melt" or "Union Jack Nachos".

You may judge for yourself.

https://yeomanscaskandlion.com/tampa/

I had the "The GHERKIN PASTRAMI TOWER". Looks messy but oh so good.

Meal.thumb.jpg.4cad3498a6b965c0af5f1274711e0402.jpg

46537719_BritSign.thumb.jpg.ecb0e31db6a8b401e4c44b2448d7ac99.jpg

Thanks, Mmmmm Fergie Melt sounds interesting 😊 

I'm making notes 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, sgmn said:

I had a quick look on booking.com.  I'm not 100% sure where the port is compared to airport or what the area is like. Last time we were in the Tampa area was 35 years ago and that was Clearwater.  I will get down to planning soon.  We have to make a decision  if we are going to take the risk of interline air travel (staff travel) or go regular economy 🤔 

We haven't used staff travel since we both retired 

The airport is about 10 miles to the west of the cruise port

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@Arzeena @Luckynana   Have either of you ever flown out of the Trenton-Mercer Airport?     

I was pricing up flights yesterday for our cruise out of Tampa in September and have heard from 2 people at work use this airport is nice and easy to get in and out of but looks like the only airline that flies to FL from this airport is Frontier.     @Ocean Boy  Have you flown Frontier?   

We usually fly American Airlines as I use points from my credit card but if we can fly out of a small airport that is 20 to 25 minutes away vs. PHL that is an hour away with a bad ride/traffic on I95 for morning flights we are okay with trying another airline.

I would advise against using Frontier from TNN.............We used them once back in January 2020 before Covid from TNN to Sarasota, FL

Flight down was fine, get to the airport and our flight home was cancelled for some unknown reason. No one at the Frontier Counter to get us on another flight either. They tell you to call a phone number for help. Which no one answers.

So there we are in the terminal searching for a return flight and we full well know none or going to Trenton anytime soon. Next thing to do was to just look for flights to Newark Airport in North Jersey, then we would have to take a $100 Uber back to pick up our Car in Trenton.

It was a nightmare and very long travel day.............

Then the fight with Frontier to get compensated for the Tickets we had to purchase last minute to get home that night plus the Uber Fare.

Took months to get just SOME of the money back.........Never again will we fly with Frontier..........Most sad part about all this , There was no one at the Frontier Counter in Sarasota to help anyone with trying to find new flights home.

Very poor Customer Service.

Budget Airline for sure cancelled flights, you are on your own Beware !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mets07 said:

Have done 3 NCL cruises. Those cruises were mostly positive. Loved the Waterfront area.

We are also big fans of JVD. We did a Royal excursion to JVD. Hope to get back there.

Thanks for your feedback, @Momof3gurlz

I have posted this pic before.... taken on our way to JVD.

And here is to Kenny Chesney.  Look up his song It's That Time Of Day - Adios To Jost! 

765658594_666-EnroutetoJostVanDykeBVI.thumb.JPG.707a04a5685e54d14bd29d06404cab87.JPG.

Great picture and great song!

12 hours ago, MBMGWM said:

Hello @Momof3gurlz,

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your NCL sailing more.  I am a little confused about the issue your husband had with the Free at Sea beverage package where he wasn't able to just order a soda without the rum.  I was on the NCL Sky in early January and was able to order fountain Coke with the package.  I know water was not included, nor were canned sodas, but I had 3 - 4 cokes every day.  I wonder if this is a recent change to the package?  If so, that doesn't seem very customer friendly.  

I’m not sure if it’s recent or not and perhaps it’s one of those ship by ship things 🤷🏻‍♀️, but it sounds like @reallyitsmema had the same experience. 

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

@Momof3gurlz I'm sorry you had some bad experiences on NCL but that there were some that helped to make up for it. Just you talking of your trip to Jost shows how many of us loved our time there and can't wait to get back.

Great video Andrew. I’m guessing this was a private charter from St Thomas?  Was this before or after the hurricanes (in 2017 I think)?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

@Arzeena @Luckynana   Have either of you ever flown out of the Trenton-Mercer Airport?     

I was pricing up flights yesterday for our cruise out of Tampa in September and have heard from 2 people at work use this airport is nice and easy to get in and out of but looks like the only airline that flies to FL from this airport is Frontier.     @Ocean Boy  Have you flown Frontier?   

We usually fly American Airlines as I use points from my credit card but if we can fly out of a small airport that is 20 to 25 minutes away vs. PHL that is an hour away with a bad ride/traffic on I95 for morning flights we are okay with trying another airline.

Sorry Deb   We've never flown out of the Trenton/Mercer airport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

One of my all time favorites. I will do a similar video using  Kenny’s song when we visit this October as a tribute to yours inspiring me.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, George C said:

Not a fun day , have infection from dental surgery, I am on a new medicine that requires no drinking for the ten days I need to take it 😢😢😢😢😢😢😢😢

I will have to make that up during next months cruise . 

Oh no!  Feel better, George!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Watching BD. I can not stand Alissa. She should get the heck off the show. 

She is unbelievable!!  I can no longer stand her either!  Poor Fraser!  I have to also add, that Capt Sandy is also getting on my nerves

• Like 4

17 hours ago, DaniDanielle said:

I rated our one Norwegian cruise as our worst.  We were on the Breakaway when it first sailed and it was such a letdown.  You are right about service, they are not the friendliest group!

Done over 30 NCL cruises and loved them all...everything, food, services, friendliness, ships, etc .  So sorry you and Deb are one and done with NCL.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

How was the water temperature? How many on your excursion on the Rebel Yell? I think the Royal excursion uses that same Cat. I think we will have the same times on the Royal excursion too when we go in October. I wish it wasn't early either but we are only there from 7am-3pm. I guess it's never too early to have a cocktail.

Royal and Celebrity use another vendor as well. We had the other vendor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brillohead said:

Living in Michigan my whole life, I know all the tricks!

And if the power goes out, putting a candle in a metal/glass baking dish (and removing any flammable objects) will work in the cabinet under each sink, too.  Back in the day, we used to use coffee cans for that, but coffee cans are plastic these days!!!

You are probably too young to have experienced the blizzard of Jan. 1967 .  That was a snowstorm that closed East Lansing , MI for days . 

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

I didn't see anybody in the water in your pics or Andrew's video. 

You travel there for the drinks only?

Not just the drinks, although they are amazing.  For us it’s the beautiful beach & water. There are not many people there early in the day, just those that arrive by private boats, charters and excursions.  It may get busier later in the day as I believe you can take a ferry from St Thomas, then bus or taxi to this particular beach which is White Bay.  
BAAD85F0-ABC7-4311-A9B9-9C7E19DFEE7E.thumb.jpeg.bbd67aad86c111cd287f026965517863.jpeg

999DE20C-7B10-45DD-A282-14B625A40711.thumb.jpeg.5d0ac79e9d94be8ca18456b829c91896.jpeg

Edited by Momof3gurlz
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

She is unbelievable!!  I can no longer stand her either!  Poor Fraser!  I have to also add, that Capt Sandy is also getting on my nerves

I agree about Sandy. I don't know what's up with her this season. I am not a Lee fan but I'm ready for him to return. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jimbo said:

I would advise against using Frontier from TNN.............We used them once back in January 2020 before Covid from TNN to Sarasota, FL

Flight down was fine, get to the airport and our flight home was cancelled for some unknown reason. No one at the Frontier Counter to get us on another flight either. They tell you to call a phone number for help. Which no one answers.

So there we are in the terminal searching for a return flight and we full well know none or going to Trenton anytime soon. Next thing to do was to just look for flights to Newark Airport in North Jersey, then we would have to take a $100 Uber back to pick up our Car in Trenton.

It was a nightmare and very long travel day.............

Then the fight with Frontier to get compensated for the Tickets we had to purchase last minute to get home that night plus the Uber Fare.

Took months to get just SOME of the money back.........Never again will we fly with Frontier..........Most sad part about all this , There was no one at the Frontier Counter in Sarasota to help anyone with trying to find new flights home.

Very poor Customer Service.

Budget Airline for sure cancelled flights, you are on your own Beware !

We have had no problem with Frontier from TNN. Very convenient to fly from TNN. I will not discourage anyone from trying it. Airline delays and cancellations happen everywhere! Sorry you had a bad experience.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 1

@jagsfan

Mimi, I don't want to continue the "discussion" [off topic] about the ban on Shabbat travel in the other thread, so, pls. forgive if I choose to explain myself here.

I'm all for keeping traditions. However, in US, those of my faith have another "free" day, beside Shabbat, in order to visit, travel, shop, etc.

Here, the Shabbat starts Friday afternoon, when all public transportation stops, and ends Saturday late afternoon. By the time it ends, at 6, 7 or, in summer, 8 PM, our only "free" day is finished....

Sunday is a regular day here, people go to work.

My opinion is "keep the tradition, but without coercion". You don't travel on Shabbat? No worries.

But, if I want to travel, and I don't own a car, I'm stuck at home all this time....

There is no law asking you to feast on Yom Kippur, yet, the whole majority here feasts. No law to circumcise your 8 days old baby boy, yet the whole majority does it. And many more traditions.

But, give people a choice.

• Like 18

1 hour ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Great video Andrew. I’m guessing this was a private charter from St Thomas?  Was this before or after the hurricanes (in 2017 I think)?

Yes, it was after the Hurricanes, the storm took the roof partially off the Police Station. Yes, it was a private charter from St Thomas. We were gone from 10 to about 4:30.

51 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

I didn't see anybody in the water in your pics or Andrew's video. 

You travel there for the drinks only?

We went swimming but it was mainly drinks and food for us. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Do you remember the vendor or the boat’s name?

I don't remember, sorry, I will try to look it up from my pictures. I had posted about it on this thread  a longggggg time ago in response to someone's question. You will love JVD no matter who the vendor is.

• Like 3