Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

Sorry to hear about Jimmy Buffet today.   We too, enjoy his music and visit Margaritaville whenever we are near one.

Not sure if my grandson has heard the news, but he is a true parrot head.  I think he knows the lyrics to all of Jimmy’s songs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

I just read the Jimmy Buffett passed away last night at 76. He article said he had been under hospice care the past while. 

In 2002 we were in New Orleans on vacation.We were in a bar and there was an announcement that a local resident ,a huge Jimmy Buffet fan was going to be singing there later that night.I forgot how the guy was introduced but it was Jimmy Buffet .That was a great evening.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

I bet there are thousands upon thousands of Jimmy Buffett stories being told today.  Almost all will involve a lot of happiness.

Before I ever went to Margsritaville, I ate at Cheeseburger in Paradise. The one in Lahaina. 
I was told that Jimmy Buffett owned the trademark, but Lahaina was too far away to be competition, so no problem. 
He really  was laidback!
Now they’re both gone. 

IMG_3602.jpeg

• Like 6

54 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Football is back baby!  Almost time for the Ohio State kickoff at 3:30.  Normally, I'd have a cold beer in my hand right now.  Instead, I'm enjoying a Margarita.  RIP Jimmy.

Normally I never watch any kind of football game but today I am roooting for Indiana .Considering that OS is only up by 7 there could be a huge upset today.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Wow.  That one hurts more than most for some reason.  I'm not really a Parrothead and I've never seen him in concert, but I've been spending a lot of time lately listening to Radio Margaritaville by the pool while sipping on a tiki drink.  I like the fantasy of living life one day at a time, looking for joy in board shorts and flip flops.  76 is way too young.  I wonder what will happen with his multi-billion dollar empire.

I was shocked to read this morning about Jimmy Buffett passing yesterday.  Ironically, I had just written  about the Jimmy Buffett Concert Jim and I went to several years ago, while writing one of the topics for the "Storybook"  that our daughters had given us for Christmas.  The topic was "Which Musician or Bands Have You Most Liked Seeing Live?"  

After describing the many Concerts I've been to, I finished by writing that I found the Jimmy Buffett Concert the most enjoyable and entertaining.  He and his Company put on quite a show, with a Mardi Gras theme...the entertainers came out in Mardi Gras attire, a guy on stilts led a parade around the inside circumference of the stadium while shooting tshirts to the crowd, and ending up on the stage, where Jimmy came out with his steel band playing.  Unbelievable night!  His music, songs, and talent for entertaining will be sorely missed.  May he Rest in Peace.🙏

• Like 9

5 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I probably thought about posting the  story & just because I thought about it, assumed I actually did.

Boy, I can sure relate to that!!😁

What a fun and happy experience for you, hanging with the Parrotheads!

4 hours ago, SteelCityCruiser10 said:

Boarded Liberty today!  woo hoo

Started a live thread for anyone that wants to stop by.  

Cheers Mark 🍻

Bon Voyage, Mark!🚢

Have a great time!

• Like 1

Just returned from the movies watched the new Equalizer movie , we both loved it even though my wife didn’t see the first two , loved the scenery since it was all filmed in Italy most around Naples . In honor of Jimmy Buffet I ordered two margaritas ( enhanced with my tequila) rather than one , highly recommend this film.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, HBE4 said:

I think I posted this before but what the heck, I've been known to tell the same story over and over....

Jones Beach State Park on Long Island is about 6 miles long with 6 humongous parking lots spread out. One of the beach parking lots (Parking Field #5) is also shared with the outdoor Amphitheater where concerts are held. As luck would have it, we were parked in that lot for a day at the beach & when we returned to our car, found the lot was taken over by Parrot heads for that evenings Jimmy Buffet concert. Every other tail gate party had some sort of elaborate tiki bar setup, decorations galore not to mention all of the island-type costumes.  As we trudged back to our car, people kept offering us drinks. Not having anything to trade other than stale chips, warm soda & half-melted candy bars, I tried to offer money but nobody would take it. We ended up staying for a couple more hours & while we couldn't see the concert, we could hear it loud and clear. Funny thing is, there were probably just as many people hanging out in the parking lot as there was in the concert.

I always say Jimmy Buffet gave the best concert I never went to. 😅

You were way ahead of the Swift fans. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

On 8/28/2023 at 10:02 PM, brookmill18 said:

My mom may move her TA in April of 2024 from Anthem to Jewel (to help me out) but I wasn't sure what Jewel would be like for a TA if the ship is a big part of the trip. She has some mobility issues so while she will get off in the ports, she does really love just being on the ship and meeting people--she travels solo. Just curious what you think of the ship itself--I feel badly that she might switch for me so just wanted to see about Jewel, Thanks!

Giving my perspective here.... if your mom has mobility issues and enjoys meeting people, IMO the smaller ships are better for that.  I have a bad knee and a worse knee with a hip that's on the way out as well, so smaller ships involve less pain in getting from Point A to Point B.  

I personally prefer at least Voyager class, with the Royal Promenade and the skating show, but I'm certainly able to enjoy the smaller ships as well. 

In my experience, the larger ships seem to be harder to meet people on, especially if you're hoping to meet up with the same people throughout the duration of the cruise.  It's kind of like the difference between living in a small town versus a big city.  With fewer bells and whistles and activities on a smaller ship, people tend to slow down and just enjoy the view, "smell the roses" if you will, plus with fewer places to congregate, you have a better likelihood of seeing the same people throughout the cruise.  

With that being said, I've never been on a Quantum-class ship, so I can't give an apples-to-apples comparison.  And in general, the larger the ship, the higher quality evening entertainment is offered, if that's a factor in the decision making. 

But if lounging on deck and chatting with fellow cruisers are the main draws, IMO the smaller ships are perfect for that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2023 at 10:19 AM, h20skibum said:

I read a very nice article this morning, about my niece’s 16 year old son.  

He was crowned the International Bowhunting Organization’s World Champion in the Men’s BBO division.  Although he could have competed in the younger division, there was more competition in the Men’s.  He was also crowned National champion in his class for the IBO National Triple Crown in 3D shooting and another for field shooting. 

When I read this, I thought it said BBQ division... as in "shoot the critter and then grill it up"!  🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I just got caught up on the last ten days of posts (I really need to cut back on my work hours -- it's interfering with my internetting habit!). 

Offering sincere sympathies to those who have lost loved ones (human and pets alike) or received bad news.  

My biological father called me on Saturday to tell me that my great-aunt is in the hospital and not expected to survive.  I just chatted with her on FB a week ago, and we were both looking forward to meeting at the family reunion in Alabama in two weeks' time. 

At 95yo, she's the last of her generation.  I'm still kicking myself for not doing the DNA search years ago -- I could have met my grandmother (d. 2016) and another great-aunt who actually lived locally and just passed away earlier this year.  Pretty much all of those siblings lived well into their 90s and remained sharp as a tack right up to the end.  

• Like 13