Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

4 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

I thought about you and your son & family when we crossed the bridge to Marine County.  It is really pretty there.  Which town are they in?

They are in San Rafael.  Quick trip for them to Napa, or to the City.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

They never made it.   And we waited in our room until sail away.  ️ So is life.

That is soooo frustrating.   I hope the chair you did receive will be helpful.   Glad to see you got your ice cream cone and weather looks perfect.   Have a Wonderful cruise with your friends!!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brillohead said:

I wish that more people would realize this. 

Covid is not The Plague that it was portrayed to be originally for most people.  Yes, some people died from it (and continue to die from it), but some people ALSO die from influenza or RSV or chickenpox or other viruses and bacteria, too.  You're either susceptible / at-risk based on your DNA and/or health conditions, or you're not.  

I'm so frustrated that the hospital organization I work for is continuing to threat coronavirus as something "special".  We have a whole section of the employee website devoted to what hoops we have to jump through if we test positive, and different rules for when we can come back to work, but there are no such accommodations for influenza, RSV, common cold, etc.

Amazing, isn't it, that if our unit is fully staffed, we have to take ten full days off after testing positive for C-19... but if our unit is short-staffed we can come back after five days but we have to wear a mask until the 10-day mark... but if our unit is CRITICALLY short-staffed, we can come to work the same day we test positive, as long as we don't have a fever (and we have to wear a mask for ten days).  

If I test positive for C-19, I have to send in a photo of my employee badge with the positive test result... but if I test positive for influenza, I don't have to send in anything.  ?????

*sigh*

That's just plain stupid.     IMO, anyone that isn't feeling well. No matter what it is, should simply stay home until they feel better.    Didn't we learn anything from Covid.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

They never made it.   And we waited in our room until sail away.  ️ So is life.

John, that is very frustrating not getting what you needed,  I am sorry for that.

Edited by Arzeena
  • Like 3

On 10/1/2023 at 4:03 PM, h20skibum said:

Now, for part two of our day with our granddaughter.  

When she knew she would be coming to spend the weekend, she said. “I want to make a wedding cake!”   I don’t know if it was because she knew her mom and dad were going away to a wedding, but like good grandparents perfecting the art of spoiling, we said “Sure, you can do that.”

By the way, the wedding my daughter was at was over the top.  Several TV personalities there, and they even had indoor pyrotechnics similar to these. 

IMG_9094.thumb.jpeg.66841650f5309cb0dfd649c0c53acedb.jpeg

Now, back to our cake project.  Susan bought some cake pans to make a three tier cake. 

IMG_9044.thumb.jpeg.2137f4c8ee4598a8141a56c55c83c66f.jpeg

Here is a pro tip.  Place the bowl in the sink when kids are running the mixer.  It keeps the flying batter contained. 

IMG_9046.thumb.jpeg.f0c29993bdd33a2f392c8480092d0b23.jpeg

How much batter should go in the pans?  I thought this looked good, but the one in the little pan was a little too much. 

IMG_9047.thumb.jpeg.f469c7c1597fd2602e5802ccb93c7b64.jpeg

Of course, you have to make them level to stack them, so cut the tops off.  She chose confetti cake. 

IMG_9050.thumb.jpeg.24061dce99189adcde1dc4078d20bdcd.jpeg

This is where we took our break and went to Iron Mills.  They had to cool before icing.  

After returning, she started to ice the cakes.  Our little 8 year old did this all herself, and I only had to help with two minor items.  Icing the base layer in progress. 

IMG_9085.thumb.jpeg.b00303f527bc8fb675393185f7f6a94b.jpeg

Of course, she wanted a strawberry filling, so I had to devise a way to cut the cake in half. So I dug out a couple old triangular engineering scales to use as a knife guide to cut the cake layers in half. 

IMG_9096.thumb.jpeg.c5261be8981917ec0ba4262e9709b7ab.jpeg

Spreading the filling on the cut half. 

IMG_9086.thumb.jpeg.69c6f35de9587b16632e3e02aa26dcdb.jpeg

The other part of my job was to lift each layer and place on top of the one below.  

Susan had bought a few decorations and a topper for the cake, so our granddaughter went to work at finishing icing and decorating.  This was her finished cake.  

IMG_9088.thumb.jpeg.5586a31ba1cb01969ed0acaca363f652.jpeg

She had a lot of fun, and the cake tasted pretty good.  If anyone wants a piece, stop by.  There is some left. 

Using the mixer in the sink.  Brilliant.  I have cooked with so many kids and never thought of that.  

• Like 4