Royal Caribbean Cruisers -- How Are Things Where You Are? (was "Routine" ​ 😁 ​day in lockdown... how was yours?)

3 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL...and their parents and their parents...and so on.  And I so agree.  The kids these days have no idea what it is like to live in the real world.  They would rather have their nose in their phone and text friends versus actual face to face.  

Which brings me to this, and I always refer back to this quote I heard some time ago.  I guess things never change.  😉 

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Socrates

I agree that quote you posted applies to all. My dad(Archie Bunker 🤣) thought most of us baby boobers were nothing but pot heads, listening to music that was to loud and couldn't understand any of the lyrics, couldn't dance  and we were all going to die from STDs. 🙄

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

I agree that quote you posted applies to all. My dad(Archie Bunker 🤣) thought most of us baby boobers were nothing but pot heads, listening to music that was to loud and couldn't understand any of the lyrics, couldn't dance  and we were all going to die from STDs. 🙄

OMG...he sounds like the exact duplicate of my ex-husbands Dad!!  😮  I feel for you there.  😬

• Like 1

1 minute ago, island lady said:

OMG...he sounds like the exact duplicate of my ex-husbands Dad!!  😮  I feel for you there.  😬

In 1964 (after seeing the Beatles) I started growing a lot longer. He use to call me his "he-she-it". Oh the memories...🤬

• Like 2

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

I have a 7.1 home theatre system, with the two rear speakers, two side speakers, two front plus center channel, and the subwoofer.

If we had all that in our living room we would have no room for the TV, couch, chair and coffee table.

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

Also found some berries that will be ripe soon. 

Reminds me of the strawberries growing wild in my garden.  Every year I spot them and think, couple more days and I can pick.  Darn birds, squirrels or rabbits always get to them before I can. 

@George CHappy Birthday!  Enjoy your night out. 

Edited by Sheal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Sorry to hear about family issues interrupting your break.

Hopefully everything is improving on that front.     

Is this the parents of your beautiful niece?

Yes, the same ones who have made no attempt to contact Sarah in 6 years.

We had a beautiful morning, nice bike ride and a little shopping then thunderstorms rolled in around noon and non stop rain since.     Rainy day is okay as we both had some work to do and I like to give my skin a break from sunbathing on the beach.    Next several days are to be beautiful in the 70's then back to the 80's this weekend.   

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thanks.

They are not nice people.

I known people like that. I don't know the whole situation. They may just have a dark soul. Just because they may be unhappy does not mean they have to drag everyone down with them.

• Like 7

20 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Do you or @Luckynanaremember the Jolly Trolley off Victory Blvd. near Clove Lake Park?  Every year the upper day camp groups would "hike" from the campgrounds to the ferry terminal.  It was a very long hike. One perk was a stop at the Jolly Trolley for ice cream along the way.

Just googled.  Distance is 2.2 miles but for us kids it seemed endless and very tiring.

I have no recollection of the Jolly Trolley.  My DH knew of the place, but never went there.

13 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Hi Sue,

No. Too much risk, too much hassle with all the pre- and post- checks required....

Moreover, what I was fearing all the time, has "arrived"....  The "delta" variant.

People arriving from "red" countries are not thoroughly checked, and they don't keep quarantine, so from 4 positive cases a day, we had yesterday 200. Mainly in schools, where the majority of kids are under 12 years, and they spread it to teachers/parents, etc.

Just last week masks inside were no longer required...

Oh, no, dani!  So sorry to hear this.  Dang....this is getting so old.

8 hours ago, George C said:

Thank you Dani, we are going out tonight to celebrate, will order surf and turf with a bottle of Caymus Cabernet to wash it all down, our favorite restaurant also has half price wines on Tuesday so birthday fell on a good day 😁

Happy, Happy Birthday, George C!  Enjoy your surf and turf dinner!!  Cheers!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

We got our first black and white TV in 1952.I watched Howdy Doody but I cannot recall how old I was.The show was on the air from 1947 to 1960 so I probably began watching it in 1952.By 1960 I was too old to be interested in the show.

When I was in the first grade, a girl in my class was in the "Peanut Gallery" on the Howdy Doody show.  She was right up front, with her blonde banana curls!  We were all excited to have seen her in the show.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Luckynana said:

Oh, no, Dani!  So sorry to hear this.  Dang....this is getting so old.

It is. All over again.

I would also like to go on a cruise/travel abroad ASAP, but COVID is still out there, therefore -- I'm "delaying my gratification" [hopefully I found a good translation for my meaning...] for another year, and, no, I'm not young at all...

Very ANGRY with my fellow compatriots....😠

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

for another year, and, no, I'm not young at all...

I hear you. We don't have any cruises booked till next year - though are hoping to do a fly / drive trip in October in the western US. The Delta variant (plus whatever else might come along?) is surely a concern. I'm so sorry to hear your numbers escalating. Masks are starting to disappear in my area as well, and we even stopped wearing them to church, but....by fall....noone knows. I just wish the vaccination percentages were higher. Who knows what'll happen once boosters come along. Yeah...the whole thing has gotten more than old. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

In 1964 (after seeing the Beatles) I started growing a lot longer. He use to call me his "he-she-it". Oh the memories...🤬

So sorry.  That really sucks!  I had a good Dad...and was quite close to him.  Adored him, and since I was supposed to be a "son"...I became quite the Tom Boy.  Loved it!  Good way to grow up.  We were very close for 30 years.  

Then when wife number three came on board with my Dad....my sister and I were out.  Unless we bought her gifts...wined and dined her.  I refused to submit.  Now I have no relationship with him. 

Succubus from hell.  Sigh...  😞 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I do the same thing. I have a folder that has my top 100. And other folders labeled. Greg's grilling and chilling (For outdoors BBQ), Greg's cool tunes contemporary and Greg's Lounge (all Sinatra ,Dean Martin, Sammy 1960's great stuff) and of course all my different Christmas stuff.

I remember a book, or maybe a movie, where the main character was continually refining his all time top 100 list of songs, across all genres.  He was strict about the list ONLY being 100 songs.  If he heard a song that he had forgotten about and really liked, he had to get rid of one that was on the list before adding the new song.  It was an interesting concept.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

So sorry.  That really sucks!  I had a good Dad...and was quite close to him.  Adored him, and since I was supposed to be a "son"...I became quite the Tom Boy.  Loved it!  Good way to grow up.  We were very close for 30 years.  

Then when wife number three came on board with my Dad....my sister and I were out.  Unless we bought her gifts...wined and dined her.  I refused to submit.  Now I have no relationship with him. 

Succubus from hell.  Sigh...  😞 

Sorry to hear this.   My dad and I were close until he died.  I was his helper, my two brothers weren’t as handy as I was!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, h20skibum said:

I have a 7.1 home theatre system, with the two rear speakers, two side speakers, two front plus center channel, and the subwoofer.  I had to make it more wife friendly by using a harmony remote.  That way, she only has to select “watch tv”, or “watch a movie” or “watch Apple TV”, or “listen to music”, or “stream PC”.  The remote switches all the proper components on and you can just use the one remote to control everything.  It does take a while to program one of the remotes though.

I have been debating getting one of the Alexa enabled harmony units that would control everything by voice.  Been holding off on that, because she sometimes just has problems determining which lights to turn on or off.  Anyone else yell at Alexa when she doesn’t do what you expect?

I had my fancy 5.1 system in my basement home theater.  Every Friday, we'd put the kids to bed and go to the basement to watch a DVD movie.  I used a Pronto remote, which required real programming to set up (that I actually enjoyed).  VERY customizable for one touch changes (like a Harmony).  I spent quite a bit of money on that system (in the late 90s??) and thought it would be my "forever" system.  I just sold the components and the speakers on FB Marketplace and threw away the Pronto.  😞

My Sonos Arc soundbar has a couple of up firing speakers for Dolby Atmos.  I've got a separate Sonos sub and will use a couple of in ceiling Sonance speakers for real rears, that will also be used as a stereo pair for whole house sound.  I'll end up with a 5.1.2 system.  Technology marches on, and old tech becomes obsolete faster and faster.  Hard to beat a good amp and good speakers though, no matter how old.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, davekathy said:

My dad hated all of my generations music. 🙄 And his parents probably said that about my dads generations music. And on, and on it goes. Just sayin'...

My father liked Ella Fitzgerald .My mother was a huge Sinatra fan.She predicted that the Beatles will never make it.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

When I was in the first grade, a girl in my class was in the "Peanut Gallery" on the Howdy Doody show.  She was right up front, with her blonde banana curls!  We were all excited to have seen her in the show.

My parents believed that I was a great singer and had me audition for the Horn and Hardarts Children’s Hour.I did not do well.When I was in the 7th.grade my class went to Dick Clark’s American Bandstand .I was not selected to be on TV.

• Like 1