Princess Announces Cruise Cancellations thru June 30 - Retitled after merge

picture

Thinking of you and your husband, Ruth.  Parkinson's is tough, my older sister has it now, early stages.  She does everything she can to stay active, positive.  There are exercise classes at her local clinic, geared to Parkinson's, she is doing well with them.  It was interesting to me moving from a heavily populated NE Illinois to NE Wisconsin, and I knew no one or of anyone with this disease.  Here, in a town of 12,000, there are many, including my former neighbor who is in assisted living now.  Twenty years is impressive in itself and I am sure you are doing all you can.

So am I reading the June cruise cancellation refund policy correctly? (on their website):

1. If you paid in full already, you get Option 1 (higher value) which is 125% FCC and refund of prepaid shorex's, etc.

2. If you haven't paid in full yet, you get Option 2 (lower value) which is full refund of everything paid 

I am wondering what will happen to the July sailings.  My cruise starts on July 25, Canada and Colonial America from Fort Lauderdale.  Stops in 5 US ports and 3 Canadian ports.  The CDC's 100 days ends in the middle of July.  Hopefully, if final payment is made and Princess cancels the cruise, the same two options are available.  

26 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

So am I reading the June cruise cancellation refund policy correctly? (on their website):

1. If you paid in full already, you get Option 1 (higher value) which is 125% FCC and refund of prepaid shorex's, etc.

2. If you haven't paid in full yet, you get Option 2 (lower value) which is full refund of everything paid 

I believe the paid in full has 2 options

1) as you described is the default and you don't have to do anything

2) you can request a full refund of all

but please re-check and verify

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Ruthmcp said:

My husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's at the age of 51, he will be 71 this year. He has fought to continue with a "normal" life and done everything possible to keep as well as he can. But this is a horrible, chronic, degenerative, neurological condition that has nothing to do with attitude or lifestyle, and I find Charlie's remarks not only offensive, but deeply hurtful. Think our cruising days are over, in fact I seriously doubt we will ever undertake any form of foreign travel again. By the time it is safe my husband will probably be beyond wanting to make the effort. As another post has commented, holidays are not that important in the current dreadful global situation, but still we feel very sad and can do without being made to feel we could have done something to improve our health!

I am sorry for your situation and do recognize how difficult it may be since I worked with a doctor who developed Parkinson's disease.    Like you husband, the doctor I worked with fought hard to continue normal life including seeing patient's who loved him on a part time basis as long as he could.    Not all underlying conditions as you say can be improved by attitude and lifestyle,  but that does not  mean many can't be and my message was speaking to those conditions and situations.  Deep down you know this is not something that can do for you and I sorry for your sadness and since of loss.    Please don't let my message victimize you since it does not speak to your circumstance.  I was speaking to those who can take action that can make a difference,  for many if there is a will there is a way.  

1 hour ago, pris993 said:

Please don't let my message victimize you since it does not speak to your circumstance.  I was speaking to those who can take action that can make a  difference,  for many if there is a will there is a way.  

That’s exactly the way I read it. No PC police here. 
Your response (above) is spot on. 

• Like 1

I am probably being nit picky, but I would expect someone at Princess to double, double check an important announcement. It states 'On cruises sailing before July 31, 2020, you can cancel up to 48 hours before you sail and receive the full amount you have paid either as a Future Cruise Credit* and/or as a refund to the original payment method. See our standard cancellation policies for more details.'

Why does it say 'either as a Future Cruise Credit* and/or as a refund' Surely it should be ' either as a Future Cruise Credit* or as a refund'.

Separate thought, not sure why anyone would take FCC. On earlier cruises they offered a higher FCC so that is an  incentive for FCC. A refund gives more options: Don't Cruise; Cruise after FCC final date; cruise with another line etc.

This is an interesting approach to testing that Emirates has implemented.  It would take quite a long time to test all cruisers, but it would be wonderful if the cruise lines were able to do something like this: https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-becomes-first-airline-to-conduct-on-site-rapid-covid-19-tests-for-passengers/

It would find the asymptomatic passengers.  Unfortunately it wouldn't do much for those who were infected on the the way to the ship but I find it to be an interesting idea.

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Separate thought, not sure why anyone would take FCC. On earlier cruises they offered a higher FCC so that is an  incentive for FCC. A refund gives more options: Don't Cruise; Cruise after FCC final date; cruise with another line etc.

The incentive is that the FCC is 125% of the cruise fare.

A good start to try to start operations again.    There is no way to prevent 100% exposure but I feel US airlines will probably follow a similar procedure.  I would not hesitate to fly under those preventative measures.  

After hearing NY Governor announce today masks will be required beginning Friday, I have thought for quite some time that we may start to look like citizens in many Asian cities that have been wearing masks for years - mostly due to air quality - but also flu.  I hope it won’t be forever, but until a vaccine it seems probable to feel as safe as we can.  

26 minutes ago, westcoaster said:

The incentive is that the FCC is 125% of the cruise fare.

The "current" incentive on the newly canceled cruises (11 May - 30 June) is 25% FCC in addition to the 100% FCC refund. Notice that most cruises for 2021 are 25% more than this years prices. No incentive.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WmFCoyote said:

The "current" incentive on the newly canceled cruises (11 May - 30 June) is 25% FCC in addition to the 100% FCC refund. Notice that most cruises for 2021 are 25% more than this years prices. No incentive.

Yes I looked at the equivalent of our cancelled cruise next summer and the prices are indeed about 25 percent higher. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I am probably being nit picky, but I would expect someone at Princess to double, double check an important announcement. It states 'On cruises sailing before July 31, 2020, you can cancel up to 48 hours before you sail and receive the full amount you have paid either as a Future Cruise Credit* and/or as a refund to the original payment method. See our standard cancellation policies for more details.'

Why does it say 'either as a Future Cruise Credit* and/or as a refund' Surely it should be ' either as a Future Cruise Credit* or as a refund'.

This confused me at first but I think it just means that you can either have it all as FCC or if you want a refund you will get your money back according to the cancellation schedule with any otherwise non-refundable sums back as FCC and the rest in cash.

With regard to comments on higher fares, extra fees, using fewer smaller ships, etc  and you have to be wealthy to cruise  - - we should remember that as recently as 2000 cruising was still mostly considered for the wealthy and retired.  The tremendous growth of the cruise industry in the past 20 years has been phenomenal and all the different lines have found their own piece of the $$$$ pie to fit basically almost any budget and cruise style.  It might return for a time to those who “can” vs those who wish they could.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WmFCoyote said:

Well, it's still an incentive if you plan on booking a cruise in 2021. If you don't take the extra 25%, you'll have to pay the extra 25% you say 2021 cruises cost out of pocket.

(I'd still take the cash)

23 hours ago, ontheweb said:

There are none of those due to the PVSA.

Thanks.  I often get confused about the PVSA.
Perhaps, they can ask for an emergency special waiver.  Or they can get permission to stop in Canada, but keep everyone in the ship?  Or perhaps it was just an oversight by Princess. 

13 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

This is an interesting approach to testing that Emirates has implemented.  It would take quite a long time to test all cruisers, but it would be wonderful if the cruise lines were able to do something like this: https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/emirates-becomes-first-airline-to-conduct-on-site-rapid-covid-19-tests-for-passengers/

It would find the asymptomatic passengers.  Unfortunately it wouldn't do much for those who were infected on the the way to the ship but I find it to be an interesting idea.

Two interesting things in that link.

1) It is a blood test. In the USA, so far, a blood test can detect antibodies, but cannot detect if you currently have an active case of Covid-19.

2) No small suitcases as carry-ons allowed. Must be checked.

9 hours ago, gardenbunny said:

A good start to try to start operations again.   

On what was previously an average day in the USA, there are 2.7 million passengers on airplanes.

There is no way there will be 2.7 million samples of blood taken and analyzed daily at the over 500 USA commercial airports.

I suspect there are legal problems in even permitting this to be done. It would also be difficult to find enough qualified medical personnel to do this over at least two shifts, seven days a week.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 8:56 PM, PrincessLuver said:

Researchers from Harvard are saying we will be social distancing until 2022 so I really doubt we are going to be getting on a cruise ship before then....not until a vaccine is found which if everything went perfect could not happen until next Spring where millions of people would have to be vaccinated....

That would mean no major college or professional sporting events, or concerts, etc. As many people as 30 cruise ships. Maybe just pay for view? No fans in attendance.

On 4/15/2020 at 4:00 PM, WmFCoyote said:

It's still an incentive. If you take the refund later decide to book for later, you're out that 25%.

5 hours ago, Tedferg said:

I have lost the details but the cruises I was referring to only offered 100% FCC

I think you may be thinking of two separate things.  Cruises that you cancel were eligible for 100% FCC.  If Princess cancels the cruise, you had the option of 125% FCC or 100% refund.  

We knew that our May cruise to Alaska was going to be canceled.  We preferred our money back, so we waited for Princess to do it.   

Could that be what you saw?  

Edited by CRUZBUDS
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CRUZBUDS said:

I think you may be thinking of two separate things.  Cruises that you cancel were eligible for 100% FCC.  If Princess cancels the cruise, you had the option of 125% FCC or 100% refund.  

We knew that our May cruise to Alaska was going to be canceled.  We preferred our money back, so we waited for Princess to do it.   

Could that be what you saw?  

This is from the announcement on Princess home page 'Making it Easier to change Plans' : On cruises sailing August 1 through October 15, 2020, you can cancel up to 30 days before you sail and receive the full amount you have paid either as a Future Cruise Credit* and/or as a refund to the original payment method

I see you are correct in that this refers to a cruise YOU cancel. Will try to find the other item but might be misremembering.

Edit: On second thoughts the question is still valid, why would you take FCC at 100%, even if you cancel ? Where is the advantage in FCC versus same amount in cash ?

Edited by Tedferg
Clarification

46 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Edit: On second thoughts the question is still valid, why would you take FCC at 100%, even if you cancel ? Where is the advantage in FCC versus same amount in cash ?

If PRINCESS cancels one gets the choice of 100% refund in cash or 125% in FCC.

If PASSENGER cancels, one gets the usual Penalty Amount in FCC and the rest in cash. Penalty Amount depends on how close to sailing one is at time of cancelation; varying between $100-full fare of cruise.

A passenger is offered 100% FCC (without a bonus) when that amount would otherwise be lost as Penalty.  There is no option of 100% cash OR FCC in this scenario. Similar to the CFAR Insurance coverage of the old days.  

Edited by cherylandtk
  • Thanks 2