Seen the green flash (green ray) at sea?

Yes, three times off northern Norway. I had heard about it so one sunset I watched. don't look continuously because it is bad for your eyes, just a quick glance. There is was, a short pulse of green light, amazing. I told everyone in the bar and but they did not believe me. next sunset there it was again and happy to say some others in the bar saw it as well.

I've seen some fantastic sunsets (and sun raises) but I've never seen the green ray during the sunset. Something I will look for (pay more attention to) on our next (hopefully) cruise. 

Edited by davekathy

4 hours ago, PromenadeDeckWriter said:

Thank you all for chiming in! Wasn't sure how prevalent it was, or where it was likely to occur. Hoping to see it on my next ship voyage. 

The flash is much more common than the ray.  The ray is extremely rare.  With the flash, the crown of the sun simply turns green for a second or two as the sun dips below the ocean horizon.  

32 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

The flash is much more common than the ray.  The ray is extremely rare.  With the flash, the crown of the sun simply turns green for a second or two as the sun dips below the ocean horizon.  

What does the ray look like?  

(From someone who's not seen either one...)

24 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think “ray” is just a different term.  On west-facing beaches on the Gulf Coast of Florida  - on very clear evenings - the instant the upper limb of the sun drops below the horizon - there is a rarely-seen, sudden, split-second burst of green light which could be seen as a ray from the spot from which the sun just disappeared, or a flash.  Some things just have different names - consider the weiner the and hot dog.

Very Interesting   details below copied from en.wikipedia.org  explaining it

cheers Don 

The green flash and green ray are meteorological optical phenomena that sometimes occur transiently around the moment of sunset or sunrise. When the conditions are right, a distinct green spot is briefly visible above the upper rim of the Sun's disk; the green appearance usually lasts for no more than two seconds. Rarely, the green flash can resemble a green ray shooting up from the sunset or sunrise point.

Type Characteristics Conditions Best seen from...
Inferior-mirage flash Joule's "last glimpse"; oval, flattened below; lasts 1 or 2 seconds Surface warmer than the overlying air Close to sea level
Mock-mirage flash Indentations seem to "pinch off" a thin, pointy strip from the upper rim of the Sun; lasts 1 or 2 seconds Atmospheric inversion layer below eye level; surface colder than air The higher the eye, the more likely; flash is most obvious when the eye is just above the inversion.
Sub-duct flash Large upper part of an hourglass-shaped Sun turns green for up to 15 seconds; Observer below a strong atmospheric inversion In a narrow height interval just below a duct (can occur at any height)
Green ray Green beam of light either shooting up or seen immediately after sundown; usually a few degrees long, lasting several seconds Hazy air and a bright green flash acting as a light source Sea level

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think “ray” is just a different term.  On west-facing beaches on the Gulf Coast of Florida  - on very clear evenings - the instant the upper limb of the sun drops below the horizon - there is a rarely-seen, sudden, split-second burst of green light which could be seen as a ray from the spot from which the sun just disappeared, or a flash.  Some things just have different names - consider the weiner the and hot dog.

A ray actually shoots straight up, like a ray of light, unlike the flash that's just the crown of the sun turning green. 

• Like 1

On the Celebrity Summit, when Capt Kate was master.  She announced that atmospheric conditions might be suitable for viewing the green flash that evening.

Whether it was the power of her suggestion or truly there, my eyes/brain perceived a green flash that sunset.

7 minutes ago, KreinKrunker said:

Saw it once!  Now let's talk about the green glow in the water.  

Are you talking about the phosphorescence?  There are places where it is beautifully intense - just south of Vieques (to the east of Puerto Rico) is amazing:  any disturbance of the water creates an amazing green glow.

2 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Are you talking about the phosphorescence?  There are places where it is beautifully intense - just south of Vieques (to the east of Puerto Rico) is amazing:  any disturbance of the water creates an amazing green glow.

Yes.  Mention this to most people, and they kind of look at you funny.  Was also accused of wearing wine googles.

San Diego County beaches have been showing green Bioluminescence (probably the same as or similar to phosphorescence) for the last week.   Google "Photos bioluminescence San Diego" and there are plenty of spectacular pictures.  It happens pretty frequently, often in May.   It coincides with a 'red tide' which makes the water look brownish during the day.       

We've seen a green flash twice - once on the Big Island in Hawaii and once sailing out of Papeete.   Haven't seen a green ray, but did see a glowing pink one, also on the Big Island.  

Edited by Kartgv

Here on Maui we seem to get a fair amount of interesting things such as the green flash, double rainbows, moon bows, blue and other moons, etc.  We were told that it has to do with Maui's latitude, and places with more or less the same latitude can also see them.  One thing we like for sure is the sky filled with stars.

• Like 1