Masks probably required

7 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Other than N95 type masks, masks are worn to protect those around you and not the wearer. 

Thats my point....

We’re wearing masks to protect others but you also don’t want to get sick because you’re not handling your mask properly.

Edited by cruiselvr04
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

It doesn’t seem very clean to take a germ covered mask and scrub them in my tiny ship sink.  Remember in theory this mask may have Covid 19 on the outside of it.  In trying to do so you may contaminate the sink and surrounding area. You’d need to then sanitize the sink, faucet and counter afterward for sure.  But you me given me food for thought and I’ll think about it.  It might be time to invest in one of those little portable washing bags.  ( I’ve tried ziplocks which didn’t hold and made a splashing mess.)

It might be better to spray them down with Everclear and re-use them rather then trying to wash them in your cabin.  Best would be disposable. Hopefully by then we’ll have more made in the USA masks available to buy.

Seems crazy to even discuss this on cruise critic but it might be information we need to know when cruising for a while.

I don't think you can fly with Everclear

6 hours ago, Lazz said:

When I was in College back in the 70s, my entire campus was marched down to the assembly hall to get the Swine Flu vaccine.  A large majority of the students and staff, including myself, were sick for days.  I will wait for a while  https://www.discovermagazine.com/health/the-public-health-legacy-of-the-1976-swine-flu-outbreak

"The Swine Flu Program was marred by a series of logistical problems ranging from the production of the wrong vaccine strain to a confrontation over liability protection to a temporal connection of the vaccine and a cluster of deaths among an elderly population in Pittsburgh. The most damning charge against the vaccination program was that the shots were correlated with an increase in the number of patients diagnosed with an obscure neurological disease known as Guillain–Barré syndrome. "

I had the avian flu during the 1968 Pandemic.  It started in September 1968, killed 100,000 people in the US, and I got it some time that Fall.  It was horrible, and I was still recuperating from it when I got married in March 1969.

I'll take a vaccine that makes me ill for several days over 5-6 months of having the real thing.

3 minutes ago, pcur said:

I had the avian flu during the 1968 Pandemic.  It started in September 1968, killed 100,000 people in the US, and I got it some time that Fall.  It was horrible, and I was still recuperating from it when I got married in March 1969.

I'll take a vaccine that makes me ill for several days over 5-6 months of having the real thing.

And just hope that is the worst thing it does to you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2020 at 12:27 PM, lenquixote66 said:

I just thought of something else.When you arrive at the cruise port and have your picture taken for your key card is it with or without a mask ? If with how will they know who is who when you go off and on the ship.?

This is all in jest:

1.  Your sea pass Picture could be printed by ink jet on a mask and handed to you, along with, sea pass card.  ( or, replacing your sea pass?  SeaPass Mask facial technology required to open your door 😂. You gotta wear it that way) 

2.  RC could customize the masks, further - Gold masks and $ signs  for the Suite guests,  bejeweled for the Diamonds, Pinnacle status name tags on masks of the most loyal of the loyal. 

They could have fun with this

Edited by BSocial
Xtra
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2020 at 9:24 AM, LuCruise said:

One specific problem I see with people wearing masks....Let's say everyone is mandated to wear masks so they have on their mask going to the pool.  Then either it's hot, or drink time, so they remove their mask and they place it down on the table or lounge chair.  But then the wind blows it to floor, etc.  If that person is infected, then the germs from the mask can be spread.

The only thing wearing a mask is going to do is give some people a very false sense of security. But those who want to wear one should. Those who want everyone else to wear one should be content in their cabins or not cruise. Cruise life and wearing a mask don't fit and you probably have a greater chance of making yourself sick with the examples that you provided as you put that germy, dirty, sweaty mask back on your face with your hands that are now contaminated from touching said mask.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The only thing wearing a mask is going to do is give some people a very false sense of security. But those who want to wear one should. Those who want everyone else to wear one should be content in their cabins or not cruise. Cruise life and wearing a mask don't fit and you probably have a greater chance of making yourself sick with the examples that you provided as you put that germy, dirty, sweaty mask back on your face with your hands that are now contaminated from touching said mask.

If you take a vote I suspect that a significant majority would have the maskless spending the cruise in their cabins While the masked enjoyed freedom of the ship.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

At 95% in a spray bottle it should clean your mask!  Florida doesn’t sell that high a proof though and I don’t think I could get it past security.

Or kill anything that makes it past your mask!

14 minutes ago, broberts said:

If you take a vote I suspect that a significant majority would have the maskless spending the cruise in their cabins While the masked enjoyed freedom of the ship.

You may be right. I don't really care how they vote as neither my opinion nor their votes will change how cruising opens back up. But I stand by my statement on masks being a false sense of security. You can agree or not.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

We used to take that product and cut a hole into a watermelon and pour a smaller bottle of everclear in it.  Fun times in high school.

jc

We went to different high schools... or maybe I just spent too much time in the biology lab.🤔

18 minutes ago, broberts said:

I believe you are incorrect.  I don't think it would be a majority, but it certainly wouldn't be a significant majority.  

• Like 1

Until just recently at my daughters hospital and two others around here....the physicians wore a different mask and gloves and changed with every patient.  

But the patients were not required to wear masks...to “protect” the doctors and nurses. So if I understand the current theory, they were protecting the patients from the doctors but not the doctors from the patients who came to the hospital.

About a week or so ago...they started requiring masks for the patients.

Hmmmm

And why wasn’t Chris Cuomo, confidante of Dr Fauci, feverish with COVID, wearing a mask in the car with his kids that Easter Sunday?

I am sure he loves his children.

Edited by hazence

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Trying to imagine getting enough masks for an 11 night cruise in October....each time you leave your room you’d need a new one because the one you came in the cabin with is technically dirty and should be tossed or cleaned.  Even at 1 a day each that’s 22 plus the plane and hotel stay.  Going in and out multiple times a day would need at least 3 times that.  ( 72!). I’d need an economy pack like diapers. ( And yes we get free laundry but someone would touch them so that’s not an option. )

If I bring 24 cloth ones will they let me bring everclear to spray them down each time.  Just asking....

And if I need that many I’d better learn to sew or start buying them now.

This is not to protect me but to protect others from me.  Hmmmm.

The medical staff in hospitals have been using the same masks days a time. If you are willing to cruise and a mask is required I would suggest taking the home made fabric type that you can wash out in the sink and let dry overnight or you can use the hair dryer to speed up the drying process. I have been leaving my mask in the car after a shopping trip. I wash it once a week. I bet others aren't even doing that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

We went to different high schools... or maybe I just spent too much time in the biology lab.🤔

That’s why you are a Doctor, and I went to Gradual school and gradually realized I wasn’t going to be a doctor of philosophy.

jc

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

We used to take that product and cut a hole into a watermelon and pour a smaller bottle of everclear in it.  Fun times in high school.

jc

Makes two of us!!!  Good times!!!

• Like 1