Will Celebrity really start back in August?

ipeeinthepool

Does anyone believe that Celebrity will really resume cruising anywhere in the world on August 1st?   If the itineraries will be modified, when would you expect to see the changes?  When would you expect Celebrity would re-crew the ships to support and August 1st date?

18 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Does anyone believe that Celebrity will really resume cruising anywhere in the world on August 1st?   If the itineraries will be modified, when would you expect to see the changes?  When would you expect Celebrity would re-crew the ships to support and August 1st date?

Personally no I don’t see it, think there is just too much that needs to be put in place, ports need to open up, flying maybe still an issue. 

• Like 3

Has cruising become any safer from Mid Feb vs August?  

Cruises cannot sail Until they can have a plan in place that prevents massive outbreaks, and cruise ships have the capability to provide the same level of medical care on the boat as land without burdening a country with their outbreak.

They will not be sailing in August unless Covid magically disappears from the earth.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 8

Doubt they will start in August.  Thus far, all cruises canceled through July 31.  Think that most ports will not be open, and the ships will need August and September to sanitize everything.  Then new staff will have to be hired and trained.  Perhaps many of the old staff will return- but when they do- they will have to be quarantined for a few weeks.  Many come from a variety of states and countries- so a big deal.

If I were a betting person, I would say perhaps December.  Stay healthy everyone. 

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

ipee-

I have seen the following threads started:

Will Celebrity really start back in April?

Will Celebrity really start back in May?

Will Celebrity really start back in June?

Will Celebrity really start back in July?

Now your post:

Will Celebrity really start back in August?

😀😀😀😀

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I think that there is a real possibility that cruises could start in August in parts of Europe.  Many European counties are starting to accelerate the lifting of restrictions because they are starting to feel the economic impact of not having any tourists.  I was watching a news segment on the BBC last night about some of the towns in Italy that depend on tourism and they are desperate for tourists to come back this summer.  I also saw a news story that reported Greece and Spain are determined to have a tourist season this summer as well.  I think August is possible for cruising in Europe as long as the infections continue to decrease.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kebrown said:

I think that there is a real possibility that cruises could start in August in parts of Europe.  Many European counties are starting to accelerate the lifting of restrictions because they are starting to feel the economic impact of not having any tourists.  I was watching a news segment on the BBC last night about some of the towns in Italy that depend on tourism and they are desperate for tourists to come back this summer.  I also saw a news story that reported Greece and Spain are determined to have a tourist season this summer as well.  I think August is possible for cruising in Europe as long as the infections continue to decrease.

Tourism yes.  Cruises no.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kebrown said:

Cruises are a part of tourism.  People on cruises spend money just like any other tourists.  

Yes totally understand that.  But I believe many of these countries will make a conservative public safety decision or political decision - even if not really a scientifically correct one- that cruises are more of a risk to their populations.  I'm not saying I believe that- as I think airline flights into their country with tourists are just as much or even more of a risk.  But it is a worldwide hysterical reaction against the cruise industry right now.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, kebrown said:

I agree. As ever i'm optimistic but there are a few more takeaways for yesterdays press conference/announcement.

Firstly we were told to expect Europe and Asia to open first

Secondly we were told to expect "drive to home ports" to open first

Finally we were told that the newer the ship the less passengers needed to break even (newest ships need 30% but older ones need 50%)

So how about a slow start using Apex (currently in France) to cover Southampton Silhouette sailings

But if the question is "will Celebrity open up everything again on 1st August - NO

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kebrown said:

Cruises are a part of tourism.  People on cruises spend money just like any other tourists.  

Actually they don't. Even though some may spend a day or two prior to or after a cruise, many do not. Cruise tourist income is largely a few Euros spent on trinkets, maybe a lunch. The cruise lines take a big bite out of excursion revenue. Contrast that with land tourists that may stay a week or more in hotels, eating 2 or more meals a day in local restaurants. Often in places often untouched by cruise pax like Tuscana or Umbria. We've been to Europe almost 50 times and the money we've spent cruise dollars in the local economy vs. land spending is probably by a factor of 10. 

And believe me, in this environment local economies and their residents are not thirsting for cruise money. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

the ships will need August and September to sanitize everything.  

In their ever changing guessing and guidelines, the CDC now say's catching covid from surfaces is not likely.........….

• Like 2

If they're going to sail in August they'd know it by now... someone on CC said it takes 88 days to provision a cruise ship (from placing the orders to delivery on embarkation day). 88 days from today is August 17th. My guess is no, X will not resume cruising in August.

• Like 1

It doesn't look good for  cruises and tours with stops in Canada, or even Alaska, A lot of tour operators in Alaska are not even opening, with some going bankrupt. Plus with Celebrity, not putting out info on embarking and dis-embarting at stops and heaven forbid if you have to use a shuttle boat to shore if cruise is anchored with be a total chaos!!! No dining, or show and bar venues information,  are they doing safe distancing, which be a total mess and way you look at it.

24 minutes ago, york survey said:

I agree. As ever i'm optimistic but there are a few more takeaways for yesterdays press conference/announcement.

Firstly we were told to expect Europe and Asia to open first

Secondly we were told to expect "drive to home ports" to open first

Finally we were told that the newer the ship the less passengers needed to break even (newest ships need 30% but older ones need 50%)

So how about a slow start using Apex (currently in France) to cover Southampton Silhouette sailings

But if the question is "will Celebrity open up everything again on 1st August - NO

IF a cruise season will happen by X as of August I guess it will only be Apex and likely to cover their own originally planed iinarary or a mix between theirs and the one that was planed for Edge. Doubt they wil move any ship to Europe that isn't there yet and given the situation in the UK will need time to recover this will be the last place in Europe from where cruises will embark.

4 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

IF a cruise season will happen by X as of August I guess it will only be Apex and likely to cover their own originally planed iinarary or a mix between theirs and the one that was planed for Edge. Doubt they wil move any ship to Europe that isn't there yet and given the situation in the UK will need time to recover this will be the last place in Europe from where cruises will embark.

I think we’re on a similar page.  The question is where to start

The med is starting to get the situation under control and the U.K. is a few weeks behind them

But the release made a big play on “Drive to ports” and the U.K. (Southampton) is the only Europe port with enough drive to customers to cover the load break even numbers

Guess time will tell. But I stand by my main point. 

Very slow start up after August using Apex first

• Like 1

1 minute ago, york survey said:

I think we’re on a similar page.  The question is where to start

The med is starting to get the situation under control and the U.K. is a few weeks behind them

But the release made a big play on “Drive to ports” and the U.K. (Southampton) is the only Europe port with enough drive to customers to cover the load break even numbers

Guess time will tell. But I stand by my main point. 

Very slow start up after August using Apex first

I agree with you on Apex, the deployment location not, but let's see 😉

The driving aspect is more relevant for the US. It is important for the cruises departing from the UK in general as a majority of the passengers are locals. However at the current environment it will be easier to fill the ship when departing from the Mediteranean as it brings you a much larger variety of cruisers. Even when cruising should be possible as of August, not everyone who originally booked will fell comfortable to cruise.

I love cruising, but for those that think it is unfairly being singled out, Other industries have not been found to infect 100s of people at a time.  The only thing comparable is a prison, aircraft carrier or nursing home.  Dorms missed the boat as when this hit all college students were basically on spring break and never went back to the dorms.  Most college students are likely asymptomatic or thought it was a mild disease at best.  Churches And night clubs have also been found to start mini outbreaks as have small indoor gatherings like parties.  This is likely due to the close approximation of people singing, dancing, and aerosolizing the virus.  

Airlines and outdoor theme parks, and land resorts have not been found thus far to infect 100s in the time people have visited them.   This really seems to strike at population dense areas (places with mass transit like NYC) and densely populated areas that are indoors.  Airline flights have yet to be found as a major source of infection.  The airlines seeded the globe.  They allowed the virus to travel and expand its reaches, but 30 people are not getting infected on a long haul flight.  People rarely talk on an airplane, and that seems to be a strong modality for spreading the virus.  Contact tracing has just not found flights to be a hotbed for spreading infection.  I am betting the bars in the airport are ten times more likely to spread the infection than sitting on an airplane.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

i hope it starts.

i have a 28day b2b to Ireland starting aug 2 :classic_ohmy:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bouhunter said:

In their ever changing guessing and guidelines, the CDC now say's catching covid from surfaces is not likely.........….

With one huge caveat.  If you access the whole statement from the CDC, all they are saying is that it is not the primary means of transmission, airborne is.  Which I think everyone already knew.

"It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about this virus," the CDC wrote.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

With one huge caveat.  If you access the whole statement from the CDC, all they are saying is that it is not the primary means of transmission, airborne is.  Which I think everyone already knew.

"It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about this virus," the CDC wrote.

Thanks, saved me the trouble of pointing this out. As for the "ever changing guessing and guidelines" comment, I would certainly hope that they change as we learn more and more about the virus.

• Like 2

I want to be optimistic, but I just can't be at this point. Our provincial health officer predicts a second wave in fall, and it could be devastating. I expect there will be second waves of this virus all over North America. I would not feel comfortable cruising this year at all. The reason they are going month to month is to collect final payments and then cancel the cruises, hoping customers will take FCC instead of refunds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1