Backup plan and announcements

junglecat

Good morning!

Has anyone paid attention to how far out cancellations have been announced?  We are, for the first time in nearly 15 cruises, are cruising out of New Orleans, on September 12th on the Valor.  Just curious to know when/if a cancellation may come down.  Unfortunately, I'm a huge vacation planner, organizer and OCD individual.  I'm trying to come up with a backup plan for the "what if's."  Can we drive to Biloxi, Gulf Shores, Navarre Beach?  Can we change our flights to elsewhere?  Where is elsewhere?  

Thanks all who reply!

• Like 1

Can't even begin to say!  It could depend on how the scheduled August cruises go.  However, I recommend if you hear of one case of COVID on any of those cruises, cancel immediately.  I am scheduled our of Galveston on 29 August and am skeptical that it will happen.  There are too many variables to even make a guess.

You can drive from NOLA to Gulf Shores!  It's a beautiful drive, stay off of the interstate, take the highway and go on the ferry!  You can explore NOLA for a few days and then go east to GS!!  We did this exact vacation 2 years ago and it was really a good time!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WashCoCruisers said:

You can drive from NOLA to Gulf Shores!  It's a beautiful drive, stay off of the interstate, take the highway and go on the ferry!  You can explore NOLA for a few days and then go east to GS!!  We did this exact vacation 2 years ago and it was really a good time!!

That is all true if things are open.  I am assuming they will be, however if cruises still aren't going, then you might see other things closed as well.   

I certainly hope things are semi-normal by then, but none of us really know at this point.  I never thought we would be where we are, or that our cruise for spring break would have been cancelled after we got to florida.

• Like 1

Cancellations are out until the end of July. They are starting up with limiting sailings in August, allegedly. With other ships phasing in in September. At this point no one knows if any of those sailings are going to go.

• Like 1

Nobody knows. I’m booked out of Miami 8/29. I have to admit I did start looking for a potential October backup plan when I saw Virgin Voyages canceled cruises out to October 15th yesterday. I like to be prepared. And I like to book cruises.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, secondchance said:

Can't even begin to say!  It could depend on how the scheduled August cruises go.  However, I recommend if you hear of one case of COVID on any of those cruises, cancel immediately.  I am scheduled our of Galveston on 29 August and am skeptical that it will happen.  There are too many variables to even make a guess.

Correct if just one case is reported probably the whole ship will be held up maybe until everyone is tested. That is the risk you'll be taking by cruising in August.

Edited by shipbound2

10 minutes ago, shipbound2 said:

Correct if just one case is reported probably the whole ship will be held up maybe until everyone is tested. That is the risk you'll be taking by cruising in August.

I have seen nothing to suggest that.  The CDC has instead of posting their requirements, have requested the cruise lines to document how they will mitigate in writing to the CDC.  Possibly a waste of time since it will be what the CDC wants in the end.  This organization has shown they are just as mistake proven as the rest of the world.

• Like 2

Due to work restrictions, I am not able to cruise for the rest of this year without doing a self quarantine upon return. :( So, instead of doing 2 cruises this fall, we will be road trippin' it! We are going to go spend a few days in Perdido Key, FL, then head to NOLA (love that place!) for a few days, and then finally end up in Lake Conroe, TX for a bit. Since we have been married we have not done a road trip, so this will be a change!

• Like 2

Some airlines are not requiring change fees for flights booked before September 30th.  I have a cruise booked for the end of September out of Galveston.  If it gets cancelled, I will rebook for December or January and change my airline tickets.  As far as a replacement vacation, a lot of people enjoy New Orleans as a destination.   Also, the beaches everywhere should be open and the weather will still be nice in Florida and up the east coast. 

I have decided that even though I am a planner, I will just have to see how it all plays out.  There are too many unknowns for me to plan.  We plan on driving to Destin, Florida at the end of August for a beach vacation.  I don't have any other flights booked for travel other than for my September cruise and don't plan on booking anything until I see how it all goes.  I don't want to constantly have to change my plans or stress over it, so I just let it go.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

I have decided that even though I am a planner, I will just have to see how it all plays out.  There are too many unknowns for me to plan.  We plan on driving to Destin, Florida at the end of August for a beach vacation.  I don't have any other flights booked for travel other than for my September cruise and don't plan on booking anything until I see how it all goes.  I don't want to constantly have to change my plans or stress over it, so I just let it go.

I feel much the same.  I have cruises in October and February.  Maybe man's best friends will save us? https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/special-detection-dogs-could-sniff-out-covid-19-at-airports/

• Like 1

As you work your way to Texas, treat yourself to some time in Acadiana. St. Francisville with its old churches and cemeteries draped in Spanish moss. Avery Island, home of Tabasco Sauce- tour the plant then onto the bird sanctuary island itself. If you happen through on a Saturday morning stop in at Fred’s in Mahmou for genuine chankachank music and dancing and the local radio show in Cajun French, but it’s only open from 9-12 in the morning. Such beautiful places. Enjoy!

76 past cruises

Upcoming:

CCL Dream 8/22/2020. Western Caribbean

NCL Breakaway 1/10/2021 Western Caribbean

CCL Dream 5/16/2021 Western Caribbean

NCL Star 6/27/2021 - Scotland, Norway & Iceland

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

That article pertained to Paradise Cruise Lines and never really said anything about ports that are open to cruise ships.

The article states:

The cruise line which offers short round trip cruises to the Bahamas has announced when it will return.

You're correct, it doesn't state specific ports.

We're heading out on the Valor the cruise bf the OP's. Playing it by ear. Our flights can be easily cancelled and we haven't made any hotel arrangements yet. Frankly,  we could pull the trigger either way in the days leading up. Being self employed and semi retired is nice.

41 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

That's great! I didn't know RCCL had cruises going in June. Thx for posting!

Being sarcastic - Right?

RCCL isn't going anywhere in June, UNLESS the CDC recinds the NO Sail order set to expire July 25th.

3 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

Being sarcastic - Right?

RCCL isn't going anywhere in June, UNLESS the CDC recinds the NO Sail order set to expire July 25th.

No, I read the May 25 article and thought they knew something about RCCL. My bad

Article dated May 20 ,2020:

"Citing ongoing global public health circumstances, Royal Caribbean Cruises issued a statement saying that it has decided to extend the suspension of most sailings through July 31, 2020, with the exception of sailings from China, which will be suspended through the end of June.

"We are working with our guests and travel partners to address this disruption to their vacations, and we are genuinely sorry for their inconvenience," the company said. "We expect to return to service on August 1."

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22978-royal-caribbean-cancels-cruises-through-july-targeting-august-1-return.html

• Like 1