Virgin starts flying to Orlando from UK in July

gordylad

Received an email regarding virgin airlines which many cruisers normally use. We are still deciding on whether to go on our October Caribbean cruise and have virgin booked however the current guidelines from virgin is that face masks will be worn by passengers and crew the entire flight

I can’t see us travelling in October if this remains .....a 9hr flight with a face mask could be unbearable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The longer you are exposed to someone carrying the virus, the more likely you are to catch it.  Flights require close contact indoors with strangers for an extended period of time.   So, I wouldn't consider a flight for that long to begin with, but if I had to absolutely take one, my mask would be on from the time I left my house until I got to my destination and I would be extra vigilant about washing my hands and not touching my face.  There was an article I read yesterday talking about the risks associated with different travel options with a bunch of different experts, and the one for flights noted that the best way to protect yourself would be to not eat or drink or go to the restroom.  Oh, and don't go to sleep because you run the risk of sticking your hands in your mouth or eyes.

Leisure travel is still 100% optional.

36 minutes ago, mom says said:

When did the US announce that it was opening it's borders to nonessential travel? I must have missed that.

The OP was talking about travel in October, 4 months away.

2 hours ago, gordylad said:

Received an email regarding virgin airlines which many cruisers normally use. We are still deciding on whether to go on our October Caribbean cruise and have virgin booked however the current guidelines from virgin is that face masks will be worn by passengers and crew the entire flight

I can’t see us travelling in October if this remains .....a 9hr flight with a face mask could be unbearable.

Regardless of the face mask...

Travelled to Orlando many times on Virgin but would not consider it for this October....What happens if your flight is ‘go’ and your cruise is not? Or your cruise is ‘go’ and then your flight nearer the time is not? Just too complicated, not even thinking about what your insurance will/will not cover you for....

Then we come to the cruise...lots of ideas from cruise lines about ways they want to keep you healthy on board but no information about procedures if you or fellow passengers fall ill.

I genuinely hope that by October the world will be a safer and more predictable place to travel but even next year we will be thinking long and hard before committing ourselves to flying anywhere although we do have a September 2021 Southampton cruise booked...

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

We have a cruise booked for the end of October (on Princess), final payment at start of August and flights booked and paid for with BA. At present both are going ahead with no cancellation / rebook option. I am watching very carefully and have given myself until the end of July to decide whether to pull the plug - the most likely outcome. I am planning on contacting both to see if I can defer until 2021. I am prepared to lose the money if need be. 
At the moment I am not sure what I would be most iffy about; the flight or the cruise. The safeguards put in place on flights have been announced but those for cruising have not. I can wear a mask for 9 hours if needed (masks are now mandatory for public transport in England) but 10 days cruising not knowing how the cruise companies will address the issue is another matter. The overriding issue will be the prevalence of Covid-19 at decision time.

I have a Celebrity cruise booked for April 2021 which I have ‘left alone’ at the moment, but will consider a lift and shift before August 1st if necessary. 

I had that email from Virgin. I had one from BA too. And easyjet. All generically the same. You can trust us with rigourous cleaning and focus on your health. I won't be getting on a flight this year. Or maybe next if there is no vaccine or effective cure. Celebrity have just cancelled my Canada cruise in October because of border restrictions. Now I have to sort out my non refundable BA flights. 

Phil 

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

The OP was talking about travel in October, 4 months away.

This is what I don't quite get though. The Virgin email says flights starting in July. I can't fly to the US now because the borders are closed to me.  I doubt it will be different in July. I have doubts that will change in 2020.  There's a game being played here. 

Phil 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gordylad said:

Certainly am glad my heart surgeon didn't feel that way when he operated on me.  Mask is really not that big a deal in the scheme of things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mom says said:

When did the US announce that it was opening it's borders to nonessential travel? I must have missed that.

The U.S. borders aren't closed. Only very few nationals are not permitted to enter right now IF they fly from Europe, China and UK.

4 hours ago, Firepath said:

Try different masks until you find one that is comfortable for you.

That's a long time  even with one that is comfy.

A short visit to  the supermarket is barely tolerable for me..can't think with it on.

Yet, a  mask is one of the few safeguards we can all do..like handwashing,

We will be flying to Fla in Nov from suburban  NY, and hoping for  a short non stop to Orlando.  A few hrs seems doable...even if unpleasant!

Think about the health care workers working 12 hr shifts in full PPE gear; or your GP,  dentist or the folks at your local grocery who wear masks while they work to protect 
you.  I don’t like wearing a mask but if wearing a mask protects others I’ll do it and hope they show the same consideration for us and our family.  
BTW on a flight you can remove your mask to eat or drink so for the OP not a consecutive 9 hrs.

We flew a few times in first when that section had separate pods so you were not close to anybody , there much larger planes but really enjoyed the experience of flying in them. Airline business may need to reconfigure there planes.

8 hours ago, mom says said:

It hasn't.  The OP and Virgin Airlines are hoping things change.  October is certainly possible, but the way things are going Worldwide - not a bet I would make.   Summer weather is not a solution.  Cases growing in Texas nd Brazil for example.

Unless or until the Caribbean ports open and CDC requirements are met cruising - non essential - cannot happen.

12 hours ago, mom says said:

Airlines are beginning to restart/extend their schedule but their passengers still have to abide by each country's regulations. My colleague just returned to her home country of Hungary and had to do 14 days isolation at her parents home. The local police checked up on her at different times of the day, each day. 

Many people will be in the same boat as us...pardon the pun....final payment date has to be made in July so decision to be made then.

As airlines will only start to fly in July and cruises most likely not going ahead in July we will know nothing more than we know today.

17 hours ago, gordylad said:

I've had the same email. I'm booked on Virgin for a land holiday in Florida in august. I've been waiting for a cancellation email if I'm honest! lol 

Are the yanks letting Brit tourists in right now though? I didn't think they were? 

I wouldnt fly until facemasks are a no no and the service  is back to normal(re food drink etc) -- I would only use virgin though if your quite happy to use them in the future just in case you get vouchered as they seem to be pretty poor when it comes to refunding.. And make sure you use a credit card to book and protect yourself