When will the Med open?

Oxo

On 6/30/2020 at 5:09 PM, Mapleleafforever said:

The better question would be when will the Med be opened up to Americans? Worldwide numbers are going down while the US is um.......quite the opposite. I'm suspecting that there will be travel bans for quite some time if this keeps up. 

I think we will not see Americans be allowed to enter the EU / European countries before October earliest if things continue as they are. If things will not get significantly better than for even longer.

Edited by LXA350

4 hours ago, zeberdee said:

We're English and live in England but we think Nicola Sturgeon has been doing a great job and a much better job of informing people.

We live near the Scottish border and I agree Nicola Sturgeon has been a lot more clear and has been doing a better job than Boris! So now we can fly to Spain in the Autumn, will help makeup for our cancelled cruises,  Think it will be next spring before the med ports are open!

On 7/3/2020 at 9:05 AM, DiWilliams said:

The European Union released 49 pages of general guidance for cruise ships that could be applied once cruise lines resume cruises following the COVID-19 pandemic. See article on Royal Caribbean Blog at the link

https://www.*****.com/2020/07/03/european-union-publishes-recommendations-cruise-ships-once-cruises-resume#disqus_thread

On 7/3/2020 at 9:13 AM, Biker19 said:

Direct links to that site are block by CC.

On 7/3/2020 at 11:07 AM, Airbalancer said:

Here's nice summary of the EU guidance.

It’ll open when Americans get their act together and understand the virus is a killer and start wearing masks and social distance.  That’s how the number decreased  almost everywhere else in the world.

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, sellwingri said:

It’ll open when Americans get their act together and understand the virus is a killer and start wearing masks and social distance.  That’s how the number decreased  almost everywhere else in the world.

I used these exact words in a recent forum post. Pretty much says it all. But will it happen? I'm beginning to doubt it. 

• Like 1

Interesting listening to the videos of the new EU paper to start cruising.  Smaller crowds, stay in open areas and have a quarantine plan for 5% of capacity.  It also sounds like they have finally come up to a solution of stopping chair hogs! Country travel restrictions not withstanding, the cruise ships are being giving marching orders they can plan from when passengers can finally return.  Hopefully individual countries/ports will come up with similar plans.  A slow process that I hope continues to evolve smartly and confidently to get open again!

On my one Med cruise (Liberty out of BCN) they said the passengers were almost exactly 1/3 Spaniards, 1/3 Americans, 1/3 other. The funny thing was, we almost never saw any of the Spaniards. They were on completely different schedules. The rest of us were up at the crack of dawn, rushing off to port adventures. The Spaniards were having dinner at 10:30 PM and in the discos until 2:00. Thousands of people coexisting on a ship, and it was if they weren’t there. 

Edited by zekekelso

Rightly or wrongly - not really up for debate here - much of the US has decided to accept a certain amount of COVID-19 in exchange for less draconian restrictions. From a cruise standpoint, I see two big consequences. First, Americans aren’t going to be welcome in a lot of other countries until we get a vaccine or a miracle. Second, if cruises do start up with heavy restrictions, a lot of Americans are simply going to pass and find vacation spots were they aren’t restricted. Virus be damned. Again, not looking to debate the wisdom, just the cruise implications. 

18 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

There are a lot of factors that go into infection rates and mask wearing/social distancing/lockdowns are not the silver bullet.

Just to be clear...there are 195 countries in the world today.  Are you saying that we should look to Belarus for answers?  If so, what are the answers you see?

3 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Just to be clear...there are 195 countries in the world today.  Are you saying that we should look to Belarus for answers?  If so, what are the answers you see?

IIRC, the president of Belarus was arguing that drinking lots of Vodka would prevent Covid-19. Now I’m not going to rely on that and will be doing everything recommended by actual medical experts, but I figure it can’t hurt 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

IIRC, the president of Belarus was arguing that drinking lots of Vodka would prevent Covid-19. Now I’m not going to rely on that and will be doing everything recommended by actual medical experts, but I figure it can’t hurt 🙂

Just as long as it’s not Royal’s Diamond List New Amsterdam 😇

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

Let's say it this way, you rather take the advise from the president of Belarus to drink lots of Vodka than hydroxychloroquine 😄

• Like 3

6 hours ago, yogimax said:

Are you saying that we should look to Belarus for answers?  If so, what are the answers you see?

Balancing the need for "normal" life with keeping COVID-19 in check is a very tough and complex issue. The point is that there's more than one way to address the issue and despite the shouting from the roof tops that wearing masks will solve the issue, it seems some have done it without such restrictions.

51 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Balancing the need for "normal" life with keeping COVID-19 in check is a very tough and complex issue. The point is that there's more than one way to address the issue and despite the shouting from the roof tops that wearing masks will solve the issue, it seems some have done it without such restrictions.

Sadly, you are promoting a dangerous opinion that might cause many to stop wearing masks and lead to illness and death.

"Despite Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko claiming the virus doesn’t exist, the Covid-19 pandemic is visible throughout the country."

Sure the president of Belarus denies COVID-19 even exists, but the people there are indeed wearing masks to protect themselves.

Bottom line - Don't believe the nonsense being spread by some world leaders and WEAR A MASK!

6 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The point is that there's more than one way to address the issue and despite the shouting from the roof tops that wearing masks will solve the issue, it seems some have done it without such restrictions.

5 hours ago, yogimax said:

Bottom line - Don't believe the nonsense being spread by some world leaders and WEAR A MASK!

Just to point out that here in England mask wearing is not mandatory except on public transport and when visiting a health facility, and that has only been in place for less than 4 weeks. I would estimate i see less than 1 in 10 wearing masks when I am out and about.

Of course we have had other strict measures in place and thankfully mask wearing isn't part of a political battlefield. Our numbers continue to decrease exponentially.

Edited by Bobal
  • Like 1

In Ontario , a province of 14.4 million people , most large city’s are starting to have you must wear a mask inside 

probably should of started this 3 months ago 

no major outcry about wearing masks 

here are the daily results for the last 3 weeks 
most of the new cases have been on  large veggie  farms and Toronto area 

20F9FBC8-BC7E-4330-B863-CC73C207F740.png