When will the Med open?

Oxo

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Thanks. We must not be watching the same news otherwise I wouldn’t have asked the meaning. 😇

M8

You need to check news outlets from all over the world to get a complete picture 

https://www.reuters.com/news/world , https://www.bbc.com/newshttps://www.cbc.ca/newshttps://www.npr.org/sections/world/

are good place to start 

On 6/27/2020 at 4:52 PM, little britain said:

This could all turn out to be quite interesting. I'm booked to go out of Rome on 1/19, Barcelona on 1/26, and to arrive in Tilbury on 2/2. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

Put a muzzle on it. Stock news just said EU says USA not on approved list to fly there, china can fly but not us. Cruise stock prices almost immediately dropped. Not good news for cruises to start.

Tired of bad news. Wish they would quit repeating that EU bans USA travellers.

Edited by firefly333

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Put a muzzle on it. Stock news just said EU says USA not on approved list to fly there, china can fly but not us. Cruise stock prices almost immediately dropped. Not good news for cruises to start.

Tired of bad news. Wish they would quit repeating that EU bans USA travellers.

China only approved if they reciprocate, Canada is on list.

USA, Russia and turkey didn't make list despite intense lobbying by their representatives, probably more from turkey and Russia.

As the world turns.....  Being in the US, it does not look likely that we will be traveling to Europe anytime soon.  Until any quarantine and travel issues can be resolved it would seem that many if not most passengers from the US will be limited in travel and even cruising if and when cruising starts up again.  Very disappointing for us as this Oct/Nov was going to be our first trip to the Med and now we are not sure when we might get to reschedule it.  We have our health (but then 99% of everyone does) yet life seems to be on hold.  Just working on making better lemonade now with our room full of lemons!

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 11:37 AM, John&LaLa said:

Any mention of preventing EU citizens from coming this way, or having to quarantine upon return?

As far as I am aware European visitors  including UK, were banned from entering the USA back in March by the American government. Don't think that's been lifted yet 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sgmn said:

As far as I am aware European visitors  including UK, were banned from entering the USA back in March by the American government. Don't think that's been lifted yet 

I was thinking more of a ban imposed by the EU

On 7/1/2020 at 10:41 AM, zonacruiser25 said:

As the world turns.....  Being in the US, it does not look likely that we will be traveling to Europe anytime soon.  

Agree totally. Those in the US who are disregarding masking and distancing and thereby elevating the numbers (highest single day ever - globally as well) are becoming an embarrassment. What countries are going to want to admit us as travelers? I knew this would happen once things started to reopen. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Agree totally. Those in the US who are disregarding masking and distancing and thereby elevating the numbers (highest single day ever - globally as well) are becoming an embarrassment. What countries are going to want to admit us as travelers? I knew this would happen once things started to reopen. 

A lot of recent covid cases have been  from people wearing a mask. Most concerning are workers at a nursing home in Florida that took all the precautions. Contact tracing has proved this.

A mask is not a preventative. It main use is to lower the pace of viral loading. You put it on when you have to be in a position to expose yourself with the intent of getting back to safety as quick as possible. It is not going to save you in a confined space if your are one of the vulnerable ones.

OK...but you can't tell me that a bunch of people congregating together in any social setting - be it in a store, at the beach, whatever - being unmasked is as safe as masked? As you said, "you put it on when you have to be in a position to expose yourself". In my mind - that would seem to include anytime you're in a public setting. As for "getting back to safety as quick as possible", it would seem that many have absolutely no interest in that anyway.  I guess the freedom to get back to an unrestricted mode of living as we always have IS the new 'safety' in some folks' minds. Being saved in a confined space, if masked, is more likely to happen than if not masked. 

From a recent news article:  

Coronavirus cases seem to be rising in states with relaxed policies on wearing masks, leading experts to reemphasize the importance of face coverings to preventing spread of the disease.

Sixteen states currently recommend, but do not require, that residents wear masks in public. In those states — including Texas and Arizona — new coronavirus cases have risen by 84% over the last two weeks, according to an analysis.

In the 11 states that mandate wearing masks in public — including New York, Illinois, and Michigan — new cases have fallen by 25% over the last two weeks. Other states that are less stringent and require mask-wearing by employees and patrons of certain businesses have seen an overall 12% drop in cases (Pennsylvania, which is in this group, has seen a 28% drop.) Meanwhile, states that require masks only for employees of certain businesses have seen a 70% increase, on average, in new cases.

Edited by OnTheJourney

Some people have said and quoted sources that the protests, looting, destroying property, vandalism, had nothing to do with the spread of COVID19. The top Cop in Miami says otherwise. I’m surprised the Mayor of Miami allowed him to say this. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/downtown-miami/article243968162.html

35 minutes ago, TBurr said:

if the EU blocks Americans from entering, then any cruises (Italy, Spain, etc) will not be possible for Americans. 

No one has the insight or foresight to know when this will change.  It seems now, more than ever, cruise lines need to take definitive steps and make changes to schedules.  This virus did not start with cruise ships but they did become "victims" of it and perti dishes in some cases.  Cruise lines can take the lead now and come up with a 2021 plan and start moving forward.  I do not see how 2020 can continue to be an option.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TBurr said:

if the EU blocks Americans from entering, then any cruises (Italy, Spain, etc) will not be possible for Americans. 

Perhaps smaller cruise lines can find a way to operate profitably without US passengers but the major cruise lines need Americans to fill up their ships, even in the Med.

• Thanks 1

On 6/30/2020 at 8:58 AM, dutchclogs said:

Is it not being announced tomorrow?  

Wonder if there is some agreement still to be reached with full listing, perhaps Scotland not yet convinced good to go?

On 6/30/2020 at 11:58 AM, crazyank said:

was supposed to be announced yesterday,  then this morning,  still waiting.  As far as I know Scotland has no say in airbridge negotiations

Confirmed today that Scotland has deferred joining in air bridges listed today although Scottish PM denied this was the reason for the delay in UK announcement.  Air bridges apply to England only, for the moment.

2 hours ago, DiWilliams said:

The European Union released 49 pages of general guidance for cruise ships that could be applied once cruise lines resume cruises following the COVID-19 pandemic. See article on Royal Caribbean Blog at the link

https://www.*****.com/2020/07/03/european-union-publishes-recommendations-cruise-ships-once-cruises-resume#disqus_thread

https://www.healthygateways.eu/Portals/0/plcdocs/EU_HEALTHY_GATEWAYS_COVID-19_RESTARTING_CRUISES.pdf?ver=2020-07-01-115942-557

hope this works 

Edited by Airbalancer

17 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Perhaps smaller cruise lines can find a way to operate profitably without US passengers but the major cruise lines need Americans to fill up their ships, even in the Med.

What gives you that idea?  most of our cruises have been in the Med and Americans and the minority by far.

17 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Since when are Costa, MSC, Aida, TUI, (ex-)Pullmantur, Hurtigruten small lines that depend on US passengers??

BTW the big European river cruise lines are already back in the business-without US pax.

Do not ask when the Med is opening up for US passengers, ask when your countrymen adhere to social distancing on the beaches of Florida, Georgia, NC, California, protest mass rallys  etc. When your covid numbers come down, the EU will immediately allow US citizen to roam the Med.

Edited by Kbonner

18 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I don’t think you’ll find many Americans on P&O, and MSC is full of Europeans.... 

2 hours ago, little britain said:

I don’t think you’ll find many Americans on P&O, and MSC is full of Europeans.... 

You're correct about MSC, they are not dependent on American passengers.   I don't consider P&O with about 6 ships to be a major cruise line, but the larger parent company certainly is dependent on US passengers.