CDC no sail order

mickrory

I would think the CDC will revise the no sail order this week.  They either extend it or cancel it.  Since the pandemic is out of control in the United States; most likely it will be extended; but for how long; my guess is until Dec

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

I would think the CDC will revise the no sail order this week.  They either extend it or cancel it.  Since the pandemic is out of control in the United States; most likely it will be extended; but for how long; my guess is until Dec

I don't think there will be a big demand until there is  a working vaccine.

Cinci is my home town.

not really a lot of progress this last 100 days or so ... maybe add another 100 days to get to end of October ?

asked before, but how long does it take to re-crew a ship, sail from say Manilla to FTL , go thru all required inspections, training, etc ?

July 16, 2020 Update

On July 16, 2020, CDC extended the No Sail Order and Suspension of Further Embarkation; Notice of Modification and Extension and Other Measures Related to Operations signed by the CDC Director on April 9, 2020—subject to the modifications and additional stipulated conditions as set forth in this Order. The Order is effective upon signature and will be published in the Federal Register.

This Order is in effect until one of the following occurs:

• The expiration of the Secretary of Health and Human Services’ declaration that COVID-19 constitutes a public health emergency,
  • The CDC Director rescinds or modifies the order based on specific public health or other considerations, or
  • September 30, 2020.
  • Thanks 1

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/16/cdc-bans-us-cruises-through-september-citing-expanding-coronavirus-outbreaks.html

Hard to see how the cruise lines are going to make it safe to accept passengers on board, when, according to this story, they have not completely eliminated outbreaks among the crew almost 4 months after they shut down. Not encouraging.

"9 ships still have ongoing or resolving COVID-19 outbreaks on board"

Edited by npcl
  • Like 1

I’m just surprised that it goes only to Sept. 30. I don’t see how things can be under control in Florida by then when there is no evidence that things are improving now.

Seems that it will still be difficult for people to decide about upcoming final payments. I’d be reluctant to move forward with so much uncertainty remaining.

I called today to cancel a cruise on Princess that sails out of Florida in Feb 2021. 

I was asked if I wanted to wait a few more months to cancel as I would receive double my deposit when Princess cancelled as those voyages would not be sailing.  I asked "You are telling me Feb of next year will not sail?" and He repeated "correct and you would get double your deposit if you wait until we cancel". I again asked "Feb of 2021 is a no go?" and again I was told "correct".

Take it for what you want. I did cancel and was told he could not tell me how long it would take to get my deposit back. Not a problem as I filled with my credit card and already have a provisional credit which will become permanent in 30 days according to my credit card company.  

• Like 1

I called today to cancel a cruise on Princess that sails out of Florida in Feb 2021. 

I was asked if I wanted to wait a few more months to cancel as I would receive double my deposit when Princess cancelled as those voyages would not be sailing.  I asked "You are telling me Feb of next year will not sail?" and He repeated "correct and you would get double your deposit if you wait until we cancel". I again asked "Feb of 2021 is a no go?" and again I was told "correct".

Take it for what you want. I did cancel and was told he could not tell me how long it would take to get my deposit back. Not a problem as I filled with my credit card and already have a provisional credit which will become permanent in 30 days according to my credit card company.  

Interesting......

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, indygirl99 said:

Sounds about right....the virus is everywhere in the US and to think somehow the cruise lines are going to figure out a way to keep it off their ships let alone be able to treat people who become sick on a ship with Covid-19 is really magical thinking.  

Then you throw the in the seasonal flu with Covid-19 this fall and spring and nobody is going to know who has what.  Many have said we are only in the first phase of this virus in the US.  

Even the airlines are having a hard time getting people to fly and the chances of getting Covid-19 on a plane are very low.

Edited by PrincessLuver

7 hours ago, weberman said:

I don't think there will be a big demand until there is  a working vaccine.

Cinci is my home town.

weberman;  are you in Naples or Ft. Myers area now?  Skyline or Goldstar?

• Haha 1

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships-Second-Extension_07_16_2020-p.pdf

Kind of explains a few things.  I found the line about only implementing social distancing and other restrictions with in US waters interesting. As in once you outside of US waters the party is on.

image.thumb.png.53bf4ca1d2dbe1caad749a517c05c398.png

image.thumb.png.51c4c2469ad554ee1e8d8edfeed8df9d.png

image.thumb.png.e8c06a80932a41879b15677600dad167.png

Edited by npcl

2 hours ago, indygirl99 said:

Time to make other plans for February, I guess.

I don't understand why CCL is trading at $15, and not at $5.

"In extending the ban on Thursday, CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield said that...

“These data have also revealed a total of 99 outbreaks on 123 different cruise ships, meaning that 80% of ships within U.S. jurisdiction were affected by COVID-19 during this time frame,” Redfield wrote in the letter. “In addition, 9 ships still have ongoing or resolving COVID-19 outbreaks on board.”

... He cited a study published in the Journal of Travel Medicine that said the basic reproduction rate, a number epidemiologists use to calculate the number of new cases expected from each infected person, was 14.8 aboard the Diamond Princess, one of the first cruise ships to experience an onboard outbreak. 

That means that every infected person aboard the Diamond Princess was estimated to pass it on to nearly 15 other people, on average..."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/16/cdc-bans-us-cruises-through-september-citing-expanding-coronavirus-outbreaks.html

1 hour ago, latserrof said:

Has this extension changed anyone's mind about the severity of the situation and its impact on the bleak future of cruising?

We were booked on the Enchanted Princess for July 2020 and we canceled in early March.  We concluded that there was no way Europe was going to be open in July and there was no way the cruise lines were going to be able to address everyone's concerns regarding cruising and the COVID 19.  

We are booked on the Enchanted in February 2020 and are seriously cancelling that cruise.  With all that's going on, it just isn't worth it.  We have come the the realization that our days of cruising are probably over absent a vaccine that truly offers protection from the virus.

I must admit that after reading this I find it somewhat concerning that CCL has pulled all of its ships out of US waters and is not even trying to get plans approved by CDC.  Even with their issues I must respect what NCLH and RCL is doing in cooperating in setting up a panel to develop plans to try and come up with a solution.

The only benefit I can see to CCL taking their ships out of US waters is to avoid any costs of even trying to comply, and potentially avoid having to report medical information to the CDC. More of the obscurity instead of transparency when it comes to reporting.

1 hour ago, npcl said:

I must admit that after reading this I find it somewhat concerning that CCL has pulled all of its ships out of US waters and is not even trying to get plans approved by CDC.  Even with their issues I must respect what NCLH and RCL is doing in cooperating in setting up a panel to develop plans to try and come up with a solution.

The only benefit I can see to CCL taking their ships out of US waters is to avoid any costs of even trying to comply, and potentially avoid having to report medical information to the CDC. More of the obscurity instead of transparency when it comes to reporting.

US is OOC on infection and to get it back under control based on what we saw in other countries is close to 30-90 days before you see evidence.    Given the controversy about social distancing, opening, and masks, hard to imagine anything materially changing till November.  Then it goes one of two directions, and thus we are looking at middle of 2021 till things get to some table place:  vaccine rollout or leadership and behavioral changing.

Makes sense move your revenue generators to places that can generate revenue:  Europe / Far East, they are starting to get it under control and soon may be able to consider some cruising with careful pandemic controls

Edited by chipmaster

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

US is OOC on infection and to get it back under control based on what we saw in other countries is close to 30-90 days before you see evidence.    Given the controversy about social distancing, opening, and masks, hard to imagine anything materially changing till November.  Then it goes one of two directions, and thus we are looking at middle of 2021 till things get to some table place:  vaccine rollout or leadership and behavioral changing.

Makes sense move your revenue generators to places that can generate revenue:  Europe / Far East, they are starting to get it under control and soon may be able to consider some cruising with careful pandemic controls

Except that most of their ships will not be able to generate revenue in those areas.  The lines that are EU country centric such as Costa, or AIDA.  It might make sense, but Carnival, Princess, HAL that do not have such links, that are pretty dependent upon US cruisers.  Not so much.  Especially since they are selling cruises in the US market.

One would think that even if they moved those ships that might start sailing, they would leave at least a couple in the US market to work on plans with the CDC, since clearly not all of their ships will be sailing without the US market.

Again it makes the appearance they do not want to give the CDC the data they are requiring on COVID-19 cases and testing in US waters.