New CDC Order

Bill Miller

4 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Never be developed??  Then why are companies pouring millions (probably billions, all told)of dollars trying to develop them? Perhaps they know more about it than you do. You are, of course, welcome to your opinion.

Scientists and companies all over the world are certain that there will be NO wonder drug! A vaccine will probably be developed, yes! However, nobody knows how long it’s going to work and if it’s going to work in all cases.

So even when a vaccine is developed, it’s no excuse and reason to go back to normal 100%. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

Did Millennium and Eclipse leave San Diego?   does anyone know where they are now?

They are both still in San Diego area, Eclipse at anchor and Millennium doing a circle and heading back there.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

They are both still in San Diego area, Eclipse at anchor and Millennium doing a circle and heading back there.

I wasn’t aware, thanks for the info.

Edited by C-Dragons

18 hours ago, mnocket said:

The No Sail Order requires that the crew wear masks when outside of their cabins.  If you read the revised NSO you will see that this is one of the areas the CDC highlighted as a non-compliance issue.  If cruise ships are having trouble getting their crews to comply with mask requirements, what are the chances that they will be more successful with thousands of passengers?

It is with great frustration that I say this about my fellow American citizens, but the odds are quite high that a good percentage of them will refuse to wear masks on a cruise ship just like on shore.  I know it is craziness.  So cruising in Europe with the travel ban against Americans might be successful.  But cruising from US ports not in the picture at all right now.  We need a vaccine!

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

It is with great frustration that I say this about my fellow American citizens, but the odds are quite high that a good percentage of them will refuse to wear masks on a cruise ship just like on shore.  I know it is craziness.  So cruising in Europe with the travel ban against Americans might be successful.  But cruising from US ports not in the picture at all right now.  We need a vaccine!

Yep I think America is going to be the last area of the world to open up to cruising. Asia and Europe already trying to get things started end of this month.

10 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Never be developed??  Then why are companies pouring millions (probably billions, all told)of dollars trying to develop them? Perhaps they know more about it than you do. You are, of course, welcome to your opinion.

Because it is not the drug companies’ money, the government is funding the research.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/health/us-coronavirus-vaccine-funding/index.html

I am just being realistic here, based on what I’ve read about the virus and reports of mutations and people getting infected multiple times.

Regardless, every day Celebrity sits around waiting for a vaccine the company loses money. They need to figure out a way to operate in some way that enough people feel safe enough to buy their product.

Edited by ch175

37 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

.  We need a vaccine!

Generally agree with you!

However, it’s dangerous and possibly disappointing in the end to put all hopes in a vaccine which will presumably not be the cure-all wonder drug.

If people don’t learn to be responsible now and realize that they also need to be responsible in the future, vaccine or not, things will never change. 😢

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Miaminice said:

Scientists and companies all over the world are certain that there will be NO wonder drug! A vaccine will probably be developed, yes! However, nobody knows how long it’s going to work and if it’s going to work in all cases.

So even when a vaccine is developed, it’s no excuse and reason to go back to normal 100%. 

You said an effective vaccine will never be developed.  That is what I was responding to.  If you mean a vaccine that is 100% effective that is very unlikely in the near term if ever,  But we differ on the definition of 'effective'.  No one is claiming it will be a wonder drug.  So what if it needs to be retaken each year like a flu shot, or even every six months at first release - I'm in!  And no vaccine ever created works in all cases (although many have a very high percentage).  But even vaccines that are not 100% effective generally lessen the impact of the disease if caught and make it less serious.  And no one is saying we are going back to 100% normal any time soon. But a reasonably effective vaccine (taken at whatever interval) and hopefully along with it better treatment options certainly clear the way to begin cruising with some changes made. 

I am NOT one of those comparing the Covid-19 virus to the flu virus so don't misquote me on that, but consider that the flu still kills thousands each year and cruising still happens.  Pneumonia kills thousands each year and cruising still happens.  Also keep in mind that to be 'effective' a vaccine does not need to work 100% for everyone.  No one of course knows the efficacy rate for the vaccines to be developed, but consider a scenario where it is 60-70% effective.  The cruise lines require the vaccine before boarding.  Crew are regularly tested and passengers get the 20 minute test (not now available widely, but in time) upon boarding and even possibly returning from shore excursions.   Someone ends up getting sick anyway, but likely not as sick as they would have, had they not had any vaccine.  60-70% of the people onboard have immunity.  Of the remaining, a small percentage (if any) catch the virus and can be safely quarantined per new sailing guidelines.  Better onboard facilities allow the ship to treat the passenger(s) appropriately.  Cruising is back, not 100% 'normal' like it used to be, but enjoyable and viable.  It will happen.

• Like 4

Will there be a vaccine soon?  I truly hope and pray for one daily. 

The capitalist is motivated by developing a vaccine sooner than later. The sooner a vaccine is developed, the more people will pay for the vaccine.  Supply and Demand will control the price.   If you were the CEO of any company in the travel industry, supporting a vaccine is probably the single best hope to re-start the industry sooner than later.

I would suggest that history will probably repeat to some degree.  The Spanish flu began in 1918.  By the summer of 1919, the flu pandemic came to an end, as those that were infected either died or developed immunity.

https://www.history.com/topics/world-war-i/1918-flu-pandemic#section_13

What is different this time is we may be postponing developing immunity by "flattening the curve" and increasing the time line for developing immunity.  

The fact that we are a more mobile world now has also added a new dynamic to the spread and control.

Looking forward, this will pass.... looking into my crystal ball, I would suggest, hope and pray that 2021 will be when a combination of immunity, therapy and a vaccine will allow us to return to a "new normal".  

Stay safe and healthy!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

Generally agree with you!

However, it’s dangerous and possibly disappointing in the end to put all hopes in a vaccine which will presumably not be the cure-all wonder drug.

If people don’t learn to be responsible now and realize that they also need to be responsible in the future, vaccine or not, things will never change. 😢

Well said.  Once we get a national/federal mask mandate, things will go back to normal.  It’s that simple.

Nuff said

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I agree with your assertion that many will refuse to wear masks. However, imo, the cruise lines will make it compulsory, with passengers having to agree in writing, before final payment, to wearing masks when and where necessary aboard their ships. That is the only way to achieve compliance, with those refusing being confined to quarters, and or being put off the ship at the next port.

Regarding the need for a vaccine, how will the cruise lines handle ant-vaxxers? The cruise lines may be caught between a rock and a hard place. Can they make vaccinations mandatory? People with certain conditions may not be able to get one. Would they require a note from their doctor, and have to agree to assuming all risks involved to board a ship?

Edited by C-Dragons

1 hour ago, BigAl94 said:

We have had a few American tourists who have made their way to Ireland and ignored the two week quarantine requirement, they have been challenged and refused service in hotels, restaurants and pubs.

Here in Canada too - beginning to piss a lot of people off.  Our Quarantine Act is in effect - comply or go home!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/florida-couple-self-isolation-charges-1.5648703?fbclid=IwAR1ZXbAmAVqF0YAlFNc3sXf2qJKfj2iUIBePoHCI6FlFaSsEkws_F52Pwkg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Regarding the need for a vaccine, how will the cruise lines handle ant-vaccers? The cruise lines may be caught between a rock and a hard place. Can they make vaccinations mandatory? People with certain conditions may not be able to get one. Would they require a note from their doctor, and have to agree to assuming all risks involved to board a ship?

I simply don't view this as a problem. The cruise line can include the requirement for a vaccine in its T&C and require proof at embarkation. If they can make masks compulsory, surely they can make vaccinations compulsory too. 

Let's also use the same approach for those who legitimately can't wear a mask or be vaccinated. Both pose a potential risk to other passengers, and IMO, should not be able to embark. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

Here in Canada too - beginning to piss a lot of people off.  Our Quarantine Act is in effect - comply or go home!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/florida-couple-self-isolation-charges-1.5648703?fbclid=IwAR1ZXbAmAVqF0YAlFNc3sXf2qJKfj2iUIBePoHCI6FlFaSsEkws_F52Pwkg

This is happening with increasing frequency. Lots of examples in the media, including this one of a man coming from California to Nova Scotia and then ignoring the quarantine regulations. 

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/man-who-entered-canada-from-u-s-charged-for-failing-to-self-isolate-in-n-s-1.5028108

• Like 2

All you have to do is look at the situations posted above in Ireland and Canada and all over the United States when it comes to following common sense rules.

When cruising resumes it will almost be a certainty that masks will be required in a number of situations, from checking in, to lining up for restaurants and tours, leaving the ship and returning to ship with excursions, in theaters at all times.

And it will be almost a certainty that a certain cadre of cruisers will agree to the mask mandates and then immediately flaunt them, claiming inanities about civil rights and inability to breathe, etc.

Which will then instigate confrontations with staff.  And with fellow pax.  And then ship security.

But not to worry, though, because of the actions of a few, cruising from the US is far, far off on the horizon.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

You said an effective vaccine will never be developed.  That is what I was responding to.  ...

I am NOT one of those comparing the Covid-19 virus to the flu virus so don't misquote me on that,

You are mistaken! It wasn’t me who wrote that!

I did not quote or react to the above mentioned. That was another user... I believe ch175 (?).

I merely mentioned the part of the vaccine most likely not being the final solution.

Edited by Miaminice

2 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Once we get a national/federal mask mandate, things will go back to normal.  It’s that simple.

Nuff said

That would be anything but normal.....      

Edited by bouhunter

4 hours ago, TeeRick said:

And don't forget all those people who wear their masks below their noses or down around their necks.  Sometimes I think they are even worse than the people who don't wear masks at all. 

Edited by mnocket
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

You are mistaken! It wasn’t me who wrote that!

I did not quote or react to the above mentioned. That was another user... I believe ch175 (?).

I merely mentioned the part of the vaccine most likely not being the final solution.

My apologies

For anyone who thinks cruise lines will be hesitant to enforce rules - I was on the infamous Spring Break cruise several years ago filled with college students, and soon after drink packages were introduced.  It was a wild cruise.  They actually disembarked several college students in Cozumel for their bad behavior (drunk, wild, and breaking deck furniture).  I also recently sailed next to someone who consistently smoked on their balcony (and maybe stateroom, not sure).  They got one verbal warning, then after continuing they got a 'stop doing it or get kicked off the ship' letter.  Considering the horror that the virus has already caused the cruise lines (for reasons partly due to their mishandling and partly due to circumstances beyond their control) I believe 100% that if people refuse to comply with any new virus rules they will not hesitate to take action, up to and including kicking them off at the next port.  They cannot afford to do otherwise.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not wearing a mask is like no smoking. Go along or get bounced. If you want to go someplace that requires masks, just do it.  It is unthinkable in many countries to not to comply with a public requirement.  In the USA, some people just don’t understand the consequences of not wearing masks in public. We are doing it to protect everyone.  It’s called being responsible.  If everyone were responsible, we could reduce new cases of the virus. 

• Like 5