New CDC Order

Bill Miller

2 minutes ago, tert333 said:

While I agree with you, people have the right to voice their beliefs.

No argument from me over their right to voice their beliefs. My disappointment wasn't over the protests per se - heck, in Ottawa we see protests of one type or another on an ongoing basis - but over the mix of incredible ignorance and selfishness displayed by so many of the protestors. At a time when responsible authorities are trying to encourage greater mask use, preferring that alternative to mandating their use, protestors like this will have an unfortunate impact on the young, susceptible and often gullible segment of our society whose members are increasingly falling prey to the virus.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phoenix_dream said:

It is so infuriating and disgusting.  Freedom of choice ENDS when your choices are harming others.  That's why we have laws against violent acts.  Why don't these people get that?!!  

Agreed. Unfortunately it has to start with those at the top (government).

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, jotjot said:

Well, does the mask work or not? One thing for sure no handshaking does. I am sure we all agree on that, right.

According to medical experts globally, yes, masks work to help reduce the spread of the virus.

The Mayo Clinic published this layman's overview last week: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449 

• Like 4

If you honestly believe wearing a mask is going to solve this whole pandemic problem why didn't we do it back in March? It's like putting a condom on after sex, not going to do you much good at this point! 

Edited by pumpkin 11

2 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

If you honestly believe wearing a mask is going to solve this whole pandemic problem why didn't we do it back in March? It's like putting a condom on after sex, not going to do you much good at this point! 

It’s one piece of an overall bigger picture, responsibility to yourself and others. When all those pieces are understood, respected, and followed then we all move forward together. If we ignore those pieces more people die.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Canadians did and we stayed at home in March! I call BS....how much sex are you going to have?  Are you kidding me??? IT will do good at this point.  Every condom or mask counts!!! 

Image may contain: text

• Like 10

28 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

The Mayo Clinic answers your question -- see #137.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

I don’t remember reading, or hearing that wearing a mask will solve this problem. As the Mayo Clinic article states, the mask, along with social distancing, and washing handles will help drive the number of cases down until they can come up with a vaccine or a cure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pumpkin 11 said:

.in march they did not understand how this virus spreads. the fact that the most contagious period occurs 24 hours before symptoms, the number of symptomatic cases that can spread, how much spreads by air.

in march they were thinking in terms of mostly contact spead.

considering the relatively low percentage that have had it, it is not too late by any logical measure to use masks and slow/stop further spread.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

According to medical experts globally, yes, masks work to help reduce the spread of the virus.

The Mayo Clinic published this layman's overview last week: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/coronavirus/in-depth/coronavirus-mask/art-20485449 

Science Guy, Bill Nye did a great little video with masks and candles.  Not sure if this TikTok link will work, but here it is!

https://www.tiktok.com/@billnye/video/6847284138202893574?lang=en

There is a pair of them - I think after you watch one, you can find the other (if interested)

#ScienceGuy #BillNye #WearAMask #ProtectOthers

4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

No argument from me over their right to voice their beliefs. My disappointment wasn't over the protests per se - heck, in Ottawa we see protests of one type or another on an ongoing basis - but over the mix of incredible ignorance and selfishness displayed by so many of the protestors. At a time when responsible authorities are trying to encourage greater mask use, preferring that alternative to mandating their use, protestors like this will have an unfortunate impact on the young, susceptible and often gullible segment of our society whose members are increasingly falling prey to the virus.  

Those in the photo look like the young susceptible, and gullible you describe,

10 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

Science Guy, Bill Nye did a great little video with masks and candles.  Not sure if this TikTok link will work, but here it is!

https://www.tiktok.com/@billnye/video/6847284138202893574?lang=en

There is a pair of them - I think after you watch one, you can find the other (if interested)

#ScienceGuy #BillNye #WearAMask #ProtectOthers

Yes, I saw that a week or two ago and thought that it was an excellent demonstration. Very easy to understand, even for the nay-sayers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

Exactly.  There is a certain poster on these boards that just loves to rile people up.  Sometimes I fall for his nonsense, but I try not to.

Ignore the troll. Do not engage, and no matter what, do not quote them or reply to them. When you quote, they show up in the feeds of everyone who's ignored them, and they get notified you quoted them so they can come back for more.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Blackduck I would love to see this even if I sit on the sidelines as an American.  Cruising anywhere in the world will be good for the industry.  And lessons will be learned once cruising starts again.  I will be jealous but at the same time excited!

We're on the same page TeeRick, even though the EU has included Canada on their "list", I'm afraid my Government still has a travel advisory; so as hvbaskey mentioned Canadians can't travel yet either. So like you we'll have to sit on the sidelines and cheer for those lucky ones who will be able to cruise in some market someday soon. 

Stay Well

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

It will be more than a months but expect the second wave to be horrendous

I'm not sure.  Have been travelling about the Western US for the last 6 weeks.  Camping in usually remote forest service areas.  Sunday to Thursday small towns are pretty empty with masks 90% in place. Weekends every nook filled with hundreds of campers from nearby cities.

The good news is if we speak with 10 people at least 2 were very sick with "flu" in the spring.  Herd immunity just might come sooner.  

See you on board when we have a vaccine.  Hopefully for our August 2021 cruise.  Cannot see how anything resumes without a vaccine.  Fouremco is correct IMO.

On 7/19/2020 at 8:34 AM, Krydstosser said:

Why is Celebrity canceling cruises in Europe??

The Covid numbers are very low and MSC and Costa is going to start by medio august from european ports! 

It make no sense to me? 

This might help to make sense of it https://www.france24.com/en/20200718-barcelona-back-under-lockdown-as-virus-cases-surge

15 hours ago, npcl said:

.in march they did not understand how this virus spreads. the fact that the most contagious period occurs 24 hours before symptoms, the number of symptomatic cases that can spread, how much spreads by air.

in march they were thinking in terms of mostly contact spead.

considering the relatively low percentage that have had it, it is not too late by any logical measure to use masks and slow/stop further spread.

“Contact” being the key word which a mask would have helped, anytime really.

Also, if I was a “troll” why would I start now? Been on the boards for 11 YEARS now. Just stating an opinion you all don’t like that honestly doesn’t even differ much from yours. 

12 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

We're on the same page TeeRick, even though the EU has included Canada on their "list", I'm afraid my Government still has a travel advisory; so as hvbaskey mentioned Canadians can't travel yet either. So like you we'll have to sit on the sidelines and cheer for those lucky ones who will be able to cruise in some market someday soon. 

Stay Well

In Canada it is better to be safe than sorry so I agree with your government there.  The virus is still lurking even in areas that seem well controlled.  An outbreak can happen at any time as long as there are parts of the world where it is still spreading.  New Zealand had zero cases for a short time and declared victory.  Then they let some of their own citizens travel back in from other countries and guess what happened.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, tert333 said:

While I agree with you, people have the right to voice their beliefs.  However, once a law is passed to mandate it, they can continue to protest(as long as they are wearing a mask..).   Remember when all of the smokers were complaining their rights were being impinged upon, when the rules were changing around smoking in public places.   They did not care about any other rights but their own, even though they were impacting the health of others.   This is the same argument. 

People will always find an "expert" who will argue the other side of a position.   I would prefer to believe in the experts my government supports, especially as they have no vested reason to be biased in any way.   Why would the government want us to wear a mask, if it was not to protect us.   Not a big believer in the conspiracy theories....

Not sure this is true everywhere.

• Like 1