Help me choose; Panama Canal or Circle Hawaii

Andi Land

I'd like to draw on the collective wisdom of my fellow HAL cruisers. I'm looking at booking my next cruise vacation for my 25th wedding anniversary.

The 17 day Greenland cruise for 2021 I was booked on has been canceled due to the sale of Rotterdam.

I’ve narrowed it down to two itineraries and am gathering opinions on each.  Which would you choose and why?  All of the below ports would be new to us since we’ve not done either of these cruises in the past.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  We’d love to have the Greenland option again but who knows what will happen with the HAL schedule.  I plan on visiting the Ports of Call board as well to see if I can get more information there.

Panama Canal March 31, 2022 on the Volendam  16 Days

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Oranjestad, Aruba

Fuerte Amador, Panama

Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas), Costa Rica

Corinto, Nicaragua

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Huatulco, Mexico

Manzanillo, Mexico

San Diego, California, US

Circle Hawaii February or April 2022 18 Days

San Diego

Nawiliwili

Honolulu

Lahaina

Kona

Hilo

San Diego

Those are 2 completely different cruises.  If you've never done a full transit of the Canal, I think it's well worth it, and on a lot of cruisers' bucket list.  The ports on the PC cruise are more rustic, if that makes a difference to you.

• Like 1

Four-star Mariner here. Although I did the Panama Canal cruise on Silversea, not on HAL, I took a 30-night round trip from San Diego to Lima last year on the Volendam, which stopped at all the Pacific ports you mentioned. As Roz mentioned, above, those ports are "rustic," but I like that. I'd do the Panama Canal. It means longer flights for you at the beginning, but you'll start out with two or three relaxing sea days before you get to Aruba, and then the Canal transit, which is unforgettable. The entire cruise is more interesting than the Hawaii one. 

• Like 1

"I just noticed something.  The Volendam is due to replace the Amsterdam on the '22 world cruise and unless something changes again that cruise is not an option. "--NOT

Volendam is fine.  I was thinking of he Zaandam.

You might also check to see if you can add an extension to Vancouver or Seattle.  Since you visit Aruba the PVSA should not prohibit the combination.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd

I've done both those cruises, and the full transit of the Panama 4 times, never tire of it.  So I would opt for that, and do the Circle Hawaii later on.  You've got to love sea days for that one, which fortunately I do.

• Like 1

Panama Canal is best seen from a ship. Hawaii is best seen on a land trip. So you can guess my recommendation. Been through the Canal 4 times, on land visits to Hawaii about 30 times.

You definitely picked two dramatically different possible cruises.

• Like 4

As far as the Volendam is concerned.  With the sale of the 4 ships there are bound to be some additional ship-shuffles in the next few months.  I strongly feel that Volendam will be part of that.  the 3/31 Panama Canal and subsequent 10 day Mexico and 4 day Pacific Coastal all had her lined up to head to Alaska for 2022.  She may be needed elsewhere (Canada or Europe) so that voyage is at risk of being cancelled.  Also it follows an 8 day "gap" her in her schedule from the Previous Panama Canal cruise that ends in Ft. Lauderdale on March 23rd.  I suspect that may be for a routine drydock.  Also there is a strong chance that if HAL decide to repeat the Grand South America in 2022 that Volendam would be used as Zaandam is already known to be doing the 2022 World Cruise.  This could also cause a change in scheduling for the 3/31 Panama Canal cruise.

It's a fabulous itinerary, and I'm booked on it for my 50th, but I'm already forming a back up plan in the high likelihood that Volendam gets redeployed.  IF you decide to book it, keep a plan "b", "c", "d" and "e" in mind.  I think we are going to see LOTS of ship itinerary changes from ALL the cruise lines for 2021 and 2022 once all the dust settles.

PS - I had also looked at the February 2nd and April 10th 18 day Konigsdam Hawaii sailings as it IS the BEST Hawaii itinerary roundtrip from the West Coast.  I ended up booking the Panama Canal because of the itinerary and timing (being scheduled to transit the Panama Canal on the exact date of my 50th was too perfect to pass up!)

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

Panama Canal is best seen from a ship. Hawaii is best seen on a land trip. So you can guess my recommendation. Been through the Canal 4 times, on land visits to Hawaii about 30 times.

You definitely picked two dramatically different possible cruises.

The one big advantage of the round trip Hawaii cruise from the US mainland - especially the HAL 18 day - is no packing/unpacking or interisland flights - with all 4 islands, including 2 days in HNL and 2 ports on the Big Island it is hard to replicate on a land trip, especially for the cost!

• Like 2

Agree on all points here and would only add a suggestion that you keep in mind the second line of the second paragraph of Post No. 10, i.e, plan b, c, d, and e.  Flexibility has become a key element of my cruise planning!

Be well, stay healthy, and be safe so you can enjoy your cruise!

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

As far as the Volendam is concerned.  With the sale of the 4 ships there are bound to be some additional ship-shuffles in the next few months.  I strongly feel that Volendam will be part of that.  the 3/31 Panama Canal and subsequent 10 day Mexico and 4 day Pacific Coastal all had her lined up to head to Alaska for 2022.  She may be needed elsewhere (Canada or Europe) so that voyage is at risk of being cancelled.  Also it follows an 8 day "gap" her in her schedule from the Previous Panama Canal cruise that ends in Ft. Lauderdale on March 23rd.  I suspect that may be for a routine drydock.  Also there is a strong chance that if HAL decide to repeat the Grand South America in 2022 that Volendam would be used as Zaandam is already known to be doing the 2022 World Cruise.  This could also cause a change in scheduling for the 3/31 Panama Canal cruise.

It's a fabulous itinerary, and I'm booked on it for my 50th, but I'm already forming a back up plan in the high likelihood that Volendam gets redeployed.  IF you decide to book it, keep a plan "b", "c", "d" and "e" in mind.  I think we are going to see LOTS of ship itinerary changes from ALL the cruise lines for 2021 and 2022 once all the dust settles.

PS - I had also looked at the February 2nd and April 10th 18 day Konigsdam Hawaii sailings as it IS the BEST Hawaii itinerary roundtrip from the West Coast.  I ended up booking the Panama Canal because of the itinerary and timing (being scheduled to transit the Panama Canal on the exact date of my 50th was too perfect to pass up!)

Great points regarding Volendam!  I’ve also considered that the ship may be redeployed and that Canada New England is most logical due to the size of the ship. 

I guess it could do the FLL to San Diego Canal trip On 3/31/22 and then turn around and come back But who knows what will happen. 

Hopefully they are working on schedules and we’ll know something more soon. 

I've done several Hawaii cruises, 1 partial Panama Canal cruise, and 1 full transit Panama Canal cruise.  Both of your itineraries are great!  

I love the Hawaii cruises for the days at sea.  We've been to the islands so many times (my husband lived near Hilo from 4th grade through HS graduation), that Hawaii is a very relaxing cruise for us.  We don't make many plans, rent cars in many ports, go visit old haunts.

The Panama Canal cruise was great for us, but our full transit was HOT.  It was 100 degrees the day we were in Hualtuco, and it was December!  We want to do one of these cruises again soon, though.  Blazing sun is not a deal breaker for us.  It's hard for us (we're Alaskans), but will not dissuade us from another full transit.  If heat is something that is difficult for you, then you might want to choose Hawaii.

Have fun with whatever you decide to do!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andi Land said:

I'd like to draw on the collective wisdom of my fellow HAL cruisers. I'm looking at booking my next cruise vacation for my 25th wedding anniversary.

The 17 day Greenland cruise for 2021 I was booked on has been canceled due to the sale of Rotterdam.

I’ve narrowed it down to two itineraries and am gathering opinions on each.  Which would you choose and why?  All of the below ports would be new to us since we’ve not done either of these cruises in the past.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  We’d love to have the Greenland option again but who knows what will happen with the HAL schedule.  I plan on visiting the Ports of Call board as well to see if I can get more information there.

Panama Canal March 31, 2022 on the Volendam  16 Days

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Oranjestad, Aruba

Fuerte Amador, Panama

Puerto Caldera (Puntarenas), Costa Rica

Corinto, Nicaragua

Puerto Quetzal, Guatemala

Huatulco, Mexico

Manzanillo, Mexico

San Diego, California, US

Circle Hawaii February or April 2022 18 Days

San Diego

Nawiliwili

Honolulu

Lahaina

Kona

Hilo

San Diego

Without a doubt - Panama Canal.  And I'm in the "longer is better camp".  But I'd do the canal over the Hawaii one.  We've done 2 PC cruises and 2 Hawaii cruises.

The 28 night south Pacific cruise round trip out of San Diego was nice, also. 😁

Edited by Shmoo here
  • Like 1

Tough choice IMO!  The full transit is something that I think everyone should do at least once to really understand how huge a project this was (be sure to study/read up on the project before you go to fully appreciate it).  The ports are interesting as well.

As to Hawaii, of course it is beautiful with plenty of things to see and do.  Big negative is the 5-6 sea days each way with 6 port days in the middle (which can tire out us old folks).

My choice is the Panama Canal.  

• Like 2

I have done both cruises and like them both.  That said the weather can be iffy in the PC.  Hawaii is beautiful but I have found the first day out of San Diego can be rough. That being said I lean Hawaii.

Edited by Himself
  • Like 1

I agree with everyone that you are considering two completely different cruises.  Either one would be a wonderful choice.  It really comes down to figuring out what you most want....transit through the canal or Hawaiian islands.  Both locations will be warm.  We’ve done both and enjoyed them both and you will have chances for beach time, seeing nature on both but to see ruins you will need to do the Panama Canal.  Really that is the only difference I can think of between the two.   

Sounds as though your first choice would still be Greenland if it is offered so why not wait a few months before rebooking and see if that is offered...it is a popular route so probably will be.  You could even consider doing half of the VoV cruise (possibly fall of 2021) which would be around 17/18 days and include Greenland and Iceland.  We did the first half in 2015 as transport to Europe and were booked to do the last half this fall as transport back to the US.  It is gorgeous and more unique for us than either of the other cruises you are considering.   My recommendation would be wait for Greenland.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Himself said:

I have done both cruises and like them both.  That said the weather can be iffy in the PC.  Hawaii is beautiful but I have found the first day out of San Diego can be rough. That being said I lean Hawaii.

I agree with the rough weather.  We had several very rough days leaving San Diego in 2008 on the Hawaii/South Pacific cruise.  It was our first long cruise (30 days) and we were really questioning if we had made a mistake.  Had to buy sweatshirts on board because we were naively expecting warm weather out of San Diego and didn’t bring cool weather clothes.

3 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

I agree with the rough weather.  We had several very rough days leaving San Diego in 2008 on the Hawaii/South Pacific cruise.  It was our first long cruise (30 days) and we were really questioning if we had made a mistake.  Had to buy sweatshirts on board because we were naively expecting warm weather out of San Diego and didn’t bring cool weather clothes.

I found the weather to get better each day.  It was 5 days at sea and at least that back.  We had to stop at Encenada due to the Jones Act. 

• Like 1

I have done the full transit Panama Canal Millenium cruise going through the Canal on Jan 1 2000. I agree with most of the posters that it should be done at least once in every cruisers lifetime. I have also done the Circle Hawaii several times along with the 28day Hawaii/So. Pacific.once and loved every minute of each cruise. The Panama Canal cruise is port intesive and very hot.  The Hawaii cruise has a lot of sea days. Which do you prefer? If you are thinking about Hawaii I would suggest the Feb. cruise because that is when the Humpback Whales are leaving for their migration to Alaska. You likely would not see any whales in April on either iteninary.

• Like 1