If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???

If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It???  

1,014 members have voted

1. 1. If Royal Requires A Covid-19 Vaccine Before Cruising Will You Get It So You Can Cruise Again?

• YES
    • NO

4 minutes ago, mek said:

I was just reading that.  Of course the cause of death could be totally unrelated to the vaccine, but let the fireworks begin.

I have heard from 2 individuals high up in the medical industry that the Johnson&Johnson phase 3 isn't performing as well as they had hoped.  

1 hour ago, TheMastodon said:

I have heard from 2 individuals high up in the medical industry that the Johnson&Johnson phase 3 isn't performing as well as they had hoped.  

As of 10/12, they had a study pause because a participant developed an unexplained illness.

So the person who died wasn't given the Covid-19 vaccine but rather was part of the control group who was given a Meningitis Vaccine? This is one of the many many many reasons why I would never be a guinea pig......

"A source familiar with the matter told Reuters the trial would have been suspended if the volunteer who died had received the COVID-19 vaccine, suggesting the person was part of the control group that was given a meningitis jab."

4 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

So the person who died wasn't given the Covid-19 vaccine but rather was part of the control group who was given a Meningitis Vaccine? This is one of the many many many reasons why I would never be a guinea pig......

"A source familiar with the matter told Reuters the trial would have been suspended if the volunteer who died had received the COVID-19 vaccine, suggesting the person was part of the control group that was given a meningitis jab."

Why would a control group have been given a different vaccine, aren’t control groups just given either a saline shot or sugar pill

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Why would a control group have been given a different vaccine, aren’t control groups just given either a saline shot or sugar pill

That's what I thought but shows what I know, or rather don't know. Apparently some vaccine trials use placebo while others use an existing licenced vaccine. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Possibly so they would not guess they were in the control group. With another vaccine they probably had a reaction. With saline nothing. Not sure it is ethical because if they thought they had the vaccine they may have taken risks. 

On 7/21/2020 at 3:13 PM, RETNAVY1996 said:

I voted no because I will wait until we really know the vaccine is safe.  This fast track stuff worries me about other things the cure could cause.   Give it a few years and I will get one, but even then we will not know of any long term issues.  

Back in the 1950s a guy name Jonas Salk in just over 2 years developed a vaccine for polio.  This was in the day of no computers.  Is a year too short a time with all the technology we have today.

The biggest change according to Ampio Pharma is the FDA is responding within 24 hours instead of 3+ months.  Once the stage 3 is complete I would want a normal approval time to see medium term adverse reactions.  So if all complete in December would be willing to be vaccinated in February.  

The adverse reactions to COVID seem to be less dying percentage wise but more and more long term issues.  If the few million first responders are fine then sure seems I would be too.  FWIW I am 65+ with no health issues.  DW same age with underlying conditions.

23 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Possibly so they would not guess they were in the control group. With another vaccine they probably had a reaction. With saline nothing. Not sure it is ethical because if they thought they had the vaccine they may have taken risks. 

I get flu shots every year and have had a couple other vaccines and have never had a reaction.  I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I think the idea is any vaccine can stimulate the immune system and make it more "on alert" for some period of time, so some studies use unrelated vaccines as a control.

34 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

That's the point though. The only way to prove the vaccine works is for people in the control group to get the disease. This is why the debate over human challenge studies is just a very real version of the trolley program, where the powers that be decided it was better to passively allow the trolley to hit a huge group of people as opposed to actively aim it at a few.

Edited by OSUZorba

16 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I get flu shots every year and have had a couple other vaccines and have never had a reaction.  I wouldn’t be able to tell the difference. 

I always get a reaction to the flu shot. To the flu shot it is very minor but I know I had a shot. A  slightly sore arm. With the two shingrix jabs I had a sore arm and a slight fever.  No reaction all with the Pneumonia shots, TAP, Tetanus or Hep. 

16 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

That's the point though. The only way to prove the vaccine works is for people in the control group to get the disease. 

I understand that. I guess surprised they would give the control group a meningitis or other vaccine instead of saline. 

10 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I understand that. I guess surprised they would give the control group a meningitis or other vaccine instead of saline. 

Why? Perhaps instead of Saline solution they are hedging bets and seeing if a current vaccine like meningitis works in parallel to the current research. If they can come across another vaccine offering protection during trials all the better.

On 10/23/2020 at 7:18 AM, ace2542 said:

Why? Perhaps instead of Saline solution they are hedging bets and seeing if a current vaccine like meningitis works in parallel to the current research. If they can come across another vaccine offering protection during trials all the better.

Duh. That would not make sense at all. The purpose of a control group is to compare with the group receiving the trial vaccine and see if the trial is effective. 

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Duh. That would not make sense at all. The purpose of a control group is to compare with the group receiving the trial vaccine and see if the trial is effective. 

As maybe but if they stumble across something else all the better. Why give an unrelated vaccine why not just give the saline as said?. If the meningitis vaccine offered protection as well wouldn't they confuse the issue?  And the oxford vaccine appears to produce very strong response which is encouraging.

Edited by ace2542

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, julesbeara said:

Any vaccine updates?

News outlets in UK are reporting a small chance of Oxford vaccine available by year end and GPs and NHS are gearing up,  but more likely the vaccination programme will start in the new year.  Key workers and over 85s to be targeted first

8 hours ago, sgmn said:

News outlets in UK are reporting a small chance of Oxford vaccine available by year end and GPs and NHS are gearing up,  but more likely the vaccination programme will start in the new year.  Key workers and over 85s to be targeted first

Over 85???? Or was that a typo and you meant 65?

2 minutes ago, julesbeara said:

Looks like Pfizer's created a vaccine with 90% effectiveness.  Maybe cruising will happen in January?

There's a whole new 'hot' thread about the Pfizer vaccine.  Bring popcorn.  

Edited by rockmom
  • Like 1