Norwegian Reclaiming Loyalty Points On Cancelled Cruises

gravitar

I actually thought that NCL was awarding the points for the cancelled cruises as a goodwill gesture. I was impressed when I saw them credited to our account. So, from the “jaws of victory” with what could have been an excellent public relations move, NCL “snatches defeat”. 

Really NCL; even if the points awarded were in error, what would it have cost the company in actual dollars? In fact, with the not so favorable coverage of NCL in the news, there was a chance to come out a hero. A press release saying that there was a mistake made with awarding rewards points and how in the interest of goodwill to your passengers, NCL is honoring those points awarded in error. NCL has missed a chance to put a positive spin on how NCL is being covered in the news and in the minds of many following the continuing cruise line sagas. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Just now, Travelling2Some said:

I'm not surprised but I would have thought it to be good business to throw your most loyal customers a bone "in these trying times".  Those in the upper loyalty tiers are the people most likely to sail as soon as possible as well as being the most likely to choose NCL.  They are probably figuring they don't have to be so nice because those with FCC are stuck with Norwegian no matter what they do.  You could see which way the wind was going to blow in the future though when they downgraded the dining package from 3 dinners to 2.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravitar said:

Didn't see this posted yet

https://cruiseradio.net/norwegian-reclaiming-rewards-points-on-cancelled-cruises/

Although most Norwegian Cruise Line guests received Latitudes rewards points for sailings that were cancelled by the industry-wide shutdown, those points will soon be reclaimed by the company.

Lol, this is just stupid and petty.  

• Like 1

why be upset. if you never got the points you wouldnt be upset, you got something you were not entitled to so dont complain. it was a mistake. if your bank made a mistake and put an additional $1,000 in you checkingor savings account and then found the error would you also be upset.

I cancelled the march 14th 2020 cruise from santiago chile. I had a suiteand it was an 18 day cruise so i would have received 36 points (we are already at platinum plus and it will still take over 500 to reach ambassador level.  since i'm 72 and my wife is 71 i cant see this ever happening. anyway the 36 points would not have done much for the status so it was not a major deal for me.

it was a mistake, ncl doesnt owe you points for not sailing, get over it.

before i get a bunch of hostile comments back, no, i am not a shill for ncl, i dont work for them, i just believe there is really no reason for any one to get upset when there was an error and it's now being corrected. think about it, you are losing absolutely nothing you were entitled to 

• Like 16

I agree with that people are over reaching if they think they have any rights to the points.  Here is the long and short of it, you didn't cruise, the points are a reward system based on days on a ship.  No one should have got them, they were given in error, and they are correcting it.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, oteixeira said:

I agree with that people are over reaching if they think they have any rights to the points.  Here is the long and short of it, you didn't cruise, the points are a reward system based on days on a ship.  No one should have got them, they were given in error, and they are correcting it.

I am not saying anyone is entitled to the points. I simply posted the information as it had been a topic of discussion and offered no editorial comment on it when posting.

Over the past many years, there have been many "mistake fares" in the airline industry. Some airlines fixed the problem and cancelled all reservations, others acknowledged their error and allowed the affected reservations to stand. That built a lot of goodwill. I think that what people have been saying so far in this thread is that it was an opportunity to build goodwill with their customers in this trying time and chose not to do so.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, gravitar said:

I am not saying anyone is entitled to the points. I simply posted the information as it had been a topic of discussion and offered no editorial comment on it when posting.

Over the past many years, there have been many "mistake fares" in the airline industry. Some airlines fixed the problem and cancelled all reservations, others acknowledged their error and allowed the affected reservations to stand. That built a lot of goodwill. I think that what people have been saying so far in this thread is that it was an opportunity to build goodwill with their customers in this trying time and chose not to do so.

That's fair on your part.  I think it's a smart business move by them because the more people who have higher tiers from none sailed cruises the more it hits them in the pocket book (free meals, wine, discounts, etc).  At the end of the day, they are not making enough money to worry about "goodwill".  At least, that is my thought.  It could also be they see how the bookings are doing for the future (and we wont know that until the 6th) and feel like they are getting plenty of bookings and don't need this as a goodwill gesture?  

1 hour ago, gravitar said:

Exactly this.  No one has said they believed they were entitled to the points!

C'mon already!  Ya didn't earn the points, ya don't get the points!  😱

Seriously, however, it would have been a fabulous goodwill gesture on the part of NCL to have allowed us to keep the points we tried to earn.  However I kinda knew as soon as someone reported it here on CC & when I saw it on my own Latitudes statement that this was some sort of technical glitch in NCL's stellar IT systems...😳

As a previous poster stated; once more NCL Corporate manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of a public relations victory.

47 minutes ago, deweytrader said:

Petty move on the part of NCL.  If they posted the points they should stay.  The least they could do for holding onto my money for so long.

this happened because too many big mouths spilled the beans .   i received extra points on rcl for being stuck at sea during harvey , thought that was a nice gesture .  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomk3212 said:

C'mon already!  Ya didn't earn the points, ya don't get the points!  😱

Seriously, however, it would have been a fabulous goodwill gesture on the part of NCL to have allowed us to keep the points we tried to earn.  However I kinda knew as soon as someone reported it here on CC & when I saw it on my own Latitudes statement that this was some sort of technical glitch in NCL's stellar IT systems...😳

As a previous poster stated; once more NCL Corporate manages to snatch defeat from the jaws of a public relations victory.

True.   NCL is correcting a mistake...BUT surely is loosing a chance at good public relations.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

this happened because too many big mouths spilled the beans .   i received extra points on rcl for being stuck at sea during harvey , thought that was a nice gesture .  

Our 9 day turned into 13 days by hurricane Sandy, did not get any extra points, did not think much about it then, but 8 years later it means even less.

3 minutes ago, jaja said:

True.   NCL is correcting a mistake...BUT surely is loosing a chance at good public relations.

So I have seen this more than once, and I don't get this.  What exactly did they do that they need to offer some good public relations to make up for it?  They had almost zero cases, they shut down when asked, the followed all the guidelines so far, they broke no laws, this is where I am lost.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oteixeira said:

So I have seen this more than once, and I don't get this.  What exactly did they do that they need to offer some good public relations to make up for it?  They had almost zero cases, they shut down when asked, the followed all the guidelines so far, they broke no laws, this is where I am lost.  

Let's not even get into specifics (of things NCL has done over the years--not  specific to virus problem)....just saying...just on face value..it would have been a nice gesture....general good PR for a company who will need it down the road.....

• Like 5

1 hour ago, deweytrader said:

Petty move on the part of NCL.  If they posted the points they should stay.  The least they could do for holding onto my money for so long.

It’’s so petty because the NCL loyalty program is already ludicrously underwhelming.  It’s really just dumb on their part.  How much could it possibly cost them to keep those loyalty points in place over time?  Like literally tens of dollars. 

• Like 2