If you have to wear a mask while cruising .... would you?

rjrice1

We are supposed to cruise in Feb 2021;   I really don't even see that happening..

but once they do start cruising...  I am sure there will be guidelines.

Mask in public areas.  That's every where but your cabin?   

Will they offer cabin stewards daily?  (I know at some resort no daily cleaning till check out)

Just want to cruise.

I don't really see how it could be safe.

On lower decks, somewhat.  No way would people wear them around the pool or eating.  Also, it's next to impossible to walk through those areas without being near people doing those activities.  Thus, it's a bit pointless and better to wait until it's no longer necessary at all.

Even on the lower decks, there are lots of eating and drinking going on. 

Simply put, cruising isn't designed for masks.  It would require big changes that would defeat the entire concept and point, IMO. 

It's easier to think of where people would be wearing masks.  To/From staterooms and watching performances.  Almost all other activities would have excuses for people to remove their masks from eating to drinking to exercising to swimming.  

• Like 1

Maybe it’s because I work in the travel/transportation industry, but I’m pretty used to wearing a mask and following a lengthy set of protocols, including temperature checks, distancing rules, testing, and extensive cleaning and sanitation procedures when I go to work. I travel by airplane, stay at hotels, and eat out at restaurants on a regular basis.  

So because I’m used to all these protocols which I’ve had to adhere to since the pandemic started, I would be Ok with them while cruising. With that said, I don’t want to be the first to set foot on a cruise ship once cruising resumes. I’d probably want to wait a few months to see how things pan out in the cruise industry before I choose to sail again.

Edited by Tapi
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ChrisCJR said:

I don't really see how it could be safe.

On lower decks, somewhat.  No way would people wear them around the pool or eating.  Also, it's next to impossible to walk through those areas without being near people doing those activities.  Thus, it's a bit pointless and better to wait until it's no longer necessary at all.

Even on the lower decks, there are lots of eating and drinking going on. 

Simply put, cruising isn't designed for masks.  It would require big changes that would defeat the entire concept and point, IMO. 

It's easier to think of where people would be wearing masks.  To/From staterooms and watching performances.  Almost all other activities would have excuses for people to remove their masks from eating to drinking to exercising to swimming.  

I guess flying, getting about indoors, sports events and all groups are all activities that weren't meant for mask, but OMG they are fine with masks.

Sign me up for a cruise, I have no problem if masks are required, of course we are more than 6 months away from cruises that have a collection of international customers and ports that are out of ones sailing port. 

• Like 1

In the absence of a vaccine or the virus dying out I would expect masks would be mandatory in any public area and only allowed to be removed when swimming or eating and drinking. 

A mask requirement would not dissuade me from cruising providing the crew took a zero tolerance approach with anyone who didn't follow the rule. There are too many ignoramuses who object to wearing masks as some sort of affront to their "freedom." 

I would have some sympathy for the crew who had to enforce the rule particularly if the passengers are predominately American. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, naxer said:

Maybe.  I'd rather not at this point.  But wearing a mask might become a normal thing, and if it does, I would be used to it.

As long as I won't have to use a mask at home I will not get used to it so for me it's defenitely a NO to wear a mask on a cruise. 

18 minutes ago, K32682 said:

In the absence of a vaccine or the virus dying out I would expect masks would be mandatory in any public area and only allowed to be removed when swimming or eating and drinking. 

A mask requirement would not dissuade me from cruising providing the crew took a zero tolerance approach with anyone who didn't follow the rule. There are too many ignoramuses who object to wearing masks as some sort of affront to their "freedom." 

I would have some sympathy for the crew who had to enforce the rule particularly if the passengers are predominately American. 

Will they really enforce it, that is truly the question.

You cannot enter a store here without a mask. Yet, I often see people who wear their mask without their nose covered. And some of them by the time they are at checkout have their masks only covering their chin. Would it be any different on a ship even if mask wearing was mandatory?

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Will they really enforce it, that is truly the question.

You cannot enter a store here without a mask. Yet, I often see people who wear their mask without their nose covered. And some of them by the time they are at checkout have their masks only covering their chin. Would it be any different on a ship even if mask wearing was mandatory?

To deter the ignoramuses who refuse to wear masks in public the lines would have to make it clear beforehand that masks were required and announce their zero tolerance policy and significant penalties for non-compliance.  A good start would be a thousand dollar fine tacked on to their bill for the first offense, quarantine in their cabin for the remainder of the cruise for the second. 

• Like 2

People love to draw their line in the sands. When push comes to shove, would they hold true to these words? Would it be my ideal scenario? Nope. It may also depend how the entire experience is looking.

If I was required to wear a mask when walking around the ship and in some crowded areas, while holding the rest of the experience constant, I'd definitely at least consider it at this point.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

People love to draw their line in the sands. When push comes to shove, would they hold true to these words? Would it be my ideal scenario? Nope. It may also depend how the entire experience is looking.

If I was required to wear a mask when walking around the ship and in some crowded areas, while holding the rest of the experience constant, I'd definitely at least consider it at this point.

I draw my line in stone! 

I don't really need to cruise and if a mask is needed I will rather stay at home. 

• Like 2

No, and I will not cruise again until while the situation is that an entire ship may be quarantined because a single person on either the current or previous cruise has tested positive for coronavirus.

I take cruises for enjoyment and relaxation, not for an adrenaline rush every time somebody coughs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

To deter the ignoramuses who refuse to wear masks in public the lines would have to make it clear beforehand that masks were required and announce their zero tolerance policy and significant penalties for non-compliance.  A good start would be a thousand dollar fine tacked on to their bill for the first offense, quarantine in their cabin for the remainder of the cruise for the second. 

Where I live every store has a notice when you walk in that masks are required. And while 99% comply, every large store also has someone without a mask on that no one says anything to. Some people claim that they can't wear one due to a health issue and I wonder if this will turn into an ADA protected issue where you can't ask what it is and can't refuse service for it. No matter the rules, there will always be people trying to skirt them. The person who walks around with the mask around their chin all day and a drink in their hand so they can say "well, I was sipping my drink so I pulled it down".