Carnival Elevator Attendants

jetsfan58

Hello Cruise fans. We have seem some very interesting discussions via this exciting forum. There are talks ranging from the possibility of very cruising soon to not cruising for many years to come. We have not yet discussed the effects of the Carnival elevators. Most passengers utilize the elevators for convenience, ease of assistance with a physical issue and/or to mischievously "push" all of the floor buttons. 

What about Carnival having to create some sort of "new" attendant position to actively monitor the elevator stations? This action would further enforce the safe distancing and overcrowding rules. I realize that the current financial picture may not warrant new employee salaries; however, the pay may outweigh the potential of outbreak. I can just imagine that most elevator stations will become a  virtual "zoo" for passengers awaiting a ride?  

What say You?  

I watched a utube video of the current msc cruise. It was said it is costing msc $600k per cruise for covid measures. All the temperature taking, covid tests for each pax, etc. I dont see how the cruiselines can pay for extra covid measure .. like you say elevator attendants, without raising prices. How much extra are you willing to pay for these elevator attendants.

Hopefully Carnival will look at all avenues to effective safety upon returning to the seas. The added salary could be one of many influences that artificially raise our "price" to cruise. I would hope that paying a bit extra for a "new attendant" position would still enhance the opportunity for passengers to feel an added "plus" of safety. Word of mouth is one of the best enhancers for incremental business opportunities. As passengers see this new and added "dedicated" safety individual Carnival will benefit from the positive impressions. Sometimes cost is not the most important factor; customer satisfaction and repeat business has priority.    

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Carnival has them on the first day too, but only on the elevators taking people directly to the lido deck. 

When did they start that? I remember the Just Ask squad — interesting they now have attendants inside the elevator to select destinations.

I have always found it annoying on Princess.

All they need is a couple of hand sanitzer dispensers in every elevator area. 

Bam! Problem solved. 🙂

In all seriousness, you're probably more likely to catch the virus just breathing in the elevator. An attendant can't help there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Hello Cruise fans. We have seem some very interesting discussions via this exciting forum. There are talks ranging from the possibility of very cruising soon to not cruising for many years to come. We have not yet discussed the effects of the Carnival elevators. Most passengers utilize the elevators for convenience, ease of assistance with a physical issue and/or to mischievously "push" all of the floor buttons. 

What about Carnival having to create some sort of "new" attendant position to actively monitor the elevator stations? This action would further enforce the safe distancing and overcrowding rules. I realize that the current financial picture may not warrant new employee salaries; however, the pay may outweigh the potential of outbreak. I can just imagine that most elevator stations will become a  virtual "zoo" for passengers awaiting a ride?  

What say You?  

I have been talking about "impossible to cruise due to elevators" since day one...and challenged anyone to come up with a solution for vertical mobility.   All I got were flames.

The elevators aren't big enough to allow social distancing for more that 2 people.  How does the attendant pick the "lucky 2"....as the line grows and people get angry?

My husband did have the only viable solution.  Divide each elevator into 4 mini compartments....and each compartment take "a group".  It would be divided by Plexiglas (or a similar material...I was even flamed for saying Plexiglas as that's a brand name).

• Like 2

No building that I have been in with elevators has had an attendant. Granted, I don't live in a huge city but in a city with close to 300,000 people, more than a cruise ship has... I know in places like NYC they have attendants. I just couldn't see this being a 'thing' on a ship. 

My perhaps wildly erroneous guess on how this will play out would make the extra precaution of elevator attendants for added safety unnecessary. I'm thinking US cruises won't be resuming until Covid is largely under control, which will mean a widely distributed vaccine that either highly effective, or if some people still do get Covid after being vaccinated it would be a much milder case, as they say is the case with flu shots.

I'm thinking the cruise lines will take the highly controversial step of requiring that passengers have been vaccinated. This will alienate a significant percentage of their passenger base, but I can't see any way around it. It's unlikely enough people will get the vaccine for us to develop herd immunity, which means allowing unvaccinated people on a cruise ship while Covid is still around would just be asking for trouble.

If all the above plays out, major changes to the way cruising used to be may not be required. I'd think there will be a Covid test on boarding and some additional cleaning and such, but that may be about it. If the whole ship is vaccinated, and if (a big "if") that means they either won't get Covid or will only get a a case so mild it's not worrisome, where's the big risk?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

What say You?  

I think the touching of the surfaces is not the problem.  I think the ability to social distance in the elevator is the problem.  The elevator seems to me to be the biggest deterrent to restarting cruising at this time.  I don't think having an elevator operator is a good idea.  That just adds an extra person spraying the virus into the air inside the small elevator.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, beachbum53 said:

If social distancing while going from one deck to another is of such great concern to people,  take the stairs. Leave the elevators for those that have some sort of physical disability and can't use the stairs. 

I usually stay on deck 3 or 4.  I take the stairs a lot.  I don't think it is reasonable. to expect the people on the lower floors to take 8 or more flights of stairs every time they want to go anywhere on the ship.

Edited by skridge
clarification
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Carnival has them on the first day too, but only on the elevators taking people directly to the lido deck. 

from what i noticed, those elevators usually has a signature that says Lido express and the fun squad try to direct the people towards those

I don’t see the need for an elevator attendant. I’ve been staying at hotels a lot during the last few months and most of them now have signs by the elevator doors indicating the max capacity (most I’ve seen limit to 2-4 riders at a time), and there are position markers on the elevator floor.  It’s then up to people to self-police and enforce the rules. Everyone wears a mask. 

If it can be done at a hotel, it can be done on a ship. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tapi said:

I don’t see the need for an elevator attendant. I’ve been staying at hotels a lot during the last few months and most of them now have signs by the elevator doors indicating the max capacity (most I’ve seen limit to 2-4 riders at a time), and there are position markers on the elevator floor.  It’s then up to people to self-police and enforce the rules. Everyone wears a mask. 

Hotels seem to be 2-4 or limited to one party from my experience as well right now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tapi said:

The self policing part is a problem when John Q this thing is a hoax gets on the elevator talking all loud without a mask on.  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, skridge said:

The self policing part is a problem when John Q this thing is a hoax gets on the elevator talking all loud without a mask on.  

Unfortunately, I can see that happening. Either everybody in the elevator gets tough with John Q and tells him: “sorry wait for the next one”, or if he still wants to bully his way in, I’d get off the elevator, (not before pushing every single button first...kidding....maybe 😂)

Seriously, my experience so far at hotels is that others are cognizant and respectful of the max capacity. I’ve had people ask if they can join me in the elevator, even if not at capacity. Thankfully I haven’t ran into any John Q’s yet. 

Edited by Tapi

Not sure I see an elevator capacity problem.  Masks are required in common areas where sufficient physical distance cannot be maintained.  So why would the capacity be capped below the maximum weight allowance?

Edited by logan25