The Daily for Saturday Aug 29, 2020

richwmn

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

So now need to ask  if any of our American friends are familiar with Nanaimo bars,  an equally wonderful dessert bar?   

Perhaps we have time on our hands to bake during the winter! 

image.thumb.jpeg.8dee737d9ea6ee672a17e0b22055e385.jpeg

Please fill us in😁🤗

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

What are Cuban Lunch bars? The child bride's, born there (Cuba, not Safeway ) interest got peaked  Ever had a Cuban sandwich?  We have a pretty good Cuban restaurant - Havana Mania - in a neighboring city to which we make semi-frequent deposits 

Cuban Lunch bars are basically chocolate with peanuts - I remember them from when I was a child, then the factory closed and they weren't available for a long time.  A couple of years ago, a woman began producing them again, but they aren't quite the same - there was a secret ingredient that she has yet to figure out.  The new ones are a reasonable facsimile.

Yes, I've had a Cuban sandwich - they are delicious!  We had them in Miami when we were there prior to one of our cruises, and thoroughly enjoyed them.  Unfortunately we don't have any Cuban restaurants in Saskatoon.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Found this

image.thumb.png.d9740f4d0b50ad9dc019966168233b27.png

I was all set to jump on the fact that Peanut Butter is on this list. In school I was told, as most in the US were told at the time, that George Washington Carver was the inventor. A google search brings up some interesting information. An article I found states:

Peanuts were first cultivated as food in South America and natives in the region began turning them into grounded up paste roughly 3,000 years ago.

The Canadian Claim to Fame:

Then there are some who think the credit should go to Marcellus Gilmore Edson, a Canadian chemist who in 1884 filed and was granted the first patent in the United States for what he called “peanut-candy.”

For an interesting article on the subject, see https://www.thoughtco.com/who-invented-peanut-butter-4082744

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

What are Cuban Lunch bars? The child bride's, born there (Cuba, not Safeway 😉) interest got peaked 🙂 Ever had a Cuban sandwich?  We have a pretty good Cuban restaurant - Havana Mania - in a neighboring city to which we make semi-frequent deposits 

Have you been to Felix’s? They have even more outdoor dining now.

http://www.felixcontinentalcafe.com

9 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all! Thank you Rich for the daily and thank you Roy for keeping up the Care List. So thoughtful of you to add me to the shout-outs. 🙂🙂 

Besides gardening and counting down the days until we can travel again I’ve been working on this counted cross stitch the last couple weeks. It’s nearly finished. I have a Christmas themed one to do this winter. 

2F8427A5-E1E3-472F-AEA1-0242A972590D.jpeg

E4D5EC91-BB54-4868-9461-36BE24F3C0FB.jpeg

Beautiful, what is the name of the Rose ?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Cuban Lunch bars are basically chocolate with peanuts - I remember them from when I was a child, then the factory closed and they weren't available for a long time.  A couple of years ago, a woman began producing them again, but they aren't quite the same - there was a secret ingredient that she has yet to figure out.  The new ones are a reasonable facsimile.

Yes, I've had a Cuban sandwich - they are delicious!  We had them in Miami when we were there prior to one of our cruises, and thoroughly enjoyed them.  Unfortunately we don't have any Cuban restaurants in Saskatoon.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Had to look it up! From Cuba via Canada 😉

null

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bennybear said:

So now need to ask  if any of our American friends are familiar with Nanaimo bars,  an equally wonderful dessert bar?   

Perhaps we have time on our hands to bake during the winter! 

image.thumb.jpeg.8dee737d9ea6ee672a17e0b22055e385.jpeg

Many years since  I made Nanaimo Bars. Maybe it's time to find my recipe.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marmot@Sea said:

Hawkins Cheezies are a food group on to themselves.  🙂

I have not seen Cuban Lunch bars here Gerry.

Val

My DH loves Hawkins cheezies, so much better than all the rest!  He also loves Cubano sandwiches.  

I read that that someone bought the recipe for Cuban lunch bars as they were her mom’s favourites and they are making them again. Apparently the hardest part was the wrapper.   They are a chocolate bar with coconut and I think nuts but it’s been a long time. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, dfish said:

It has been a busy couple of days.  I'm at my sister's house on Lake Michigan.  A glorious day on Thursday.  Yesterday we drove up to the Upper Peninsula and did a little hiking around Tahquamenon Falls before heading up to Whitefish Point.  

lower falls 1.JPG

lower falls 3.JPG

lower falls 4.JPG

Our family always called them the Root Beer Falls. The color does look like that and was easier for kids to say than 'Tahquamenon' though I have no trouble saying it now. 😄 I've been there at least 4 times. Last visit 2013.

Edited by Happily@Sea
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I would NEVER have guessed Hawaiian Pizza came from Canada.

Roy

You have me giggling.   With all the cold we do get around😂

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

Ha ha....this American had to google the Canadian foods except Poutine and Caesar drink!  Thanks for this fun info!!

~Nancy

Love a Bloody Caesar!  Glad you enjoyed it!  Ginger beef is pretty awesome too! 

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

mom always made Nanaimo bars, and I found them to be too sweet, so I'd scrape out the yellow middle layer and eat the top and bottom.  LOL

They can hurt your teeth,   Agree The custard layer needs to not be too sweet! 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

That's in the OC, eh? We're in the South Bay. There's another Cuban restaurant - Versailles - in Manhattan Beach. Haven't been there for years

Yep. Behind the Orange Curtain as some of my LA County friends and colleagues  refer to it. 

• Haha 2

Really late to the party today. Heck it's almost tomorrow!

Thanks again for all of the information and entertainment on the thread to everyone! Prayers sent for those that need them.

I've enjoyed the discussion on Canadian foods. My mom made the best butter tarts. The last ones I made I got "Well, they don't look like Grandma's but they taste just the same". I take that as a win. We don't use corn or maple syrup. The filling is simply brown sugar, egg, vanilla, raisins and nuts. I like that they aren't too runny!

I've never made Nanaimo bars, but was watching Amazing Race Canada today, and the one task was to memorize the ingredients in 60 sec, bungee jump/chair jump, and recite the ingredients at the end of the jump. When they couldn't do it, they go to do it all over again. It was years before I learned that Nanaimo bars had a custard filling because my mom simply omitted that step. LOL

I've never heard of the Cuban Bars, but then I don't like coconut (except the little bit in the Nanaimo bar layer, and Snowball cookies my mom used to make). I don't recognize the packaging either, though, so maybe not around here?? With the cooler weather, maybe I'll do some baking. Problem is....I bake....I eat. 😜

Sweet dreams!

• Like 4

I didn't realize what I started earlier today when I mentioned butter tarts.  They were a great hit, especially with candles in them.  We had a wonderful (but too short) visit with our family who live a distance from us.  Any time with those you love is a blessing!❤️ We took our family on their first cruise aboard Disney Magic 4 years ago, it was a topic of discussion again today.

• Like 6

Thank you for your time and effort keeping us updated on the locations of the fleet. I loved your wine choice today. Several years ago I attended a wine tasting at the Epcot Food and Wine festival given by Mr Selbach who introduced 4 delicious Rieslings.  He was an excellent speaker and told interesting stories about the vineyards located on the steep banks of the Mosel River. I enjoyed it so much I returned the next year!

• Like 5

Thank you for the Daily Rich.  Thank you for the Care and Celebration List Roy.

I love herbs but I love salt too.  Didn't really know about Swiss wine but someone said it isn't imported so that must be why.  Ribbon Salad sounds good but don't think DH would like it.  We are having leftovers tonight.

And I love the Canadian foods theme!  Some I've heard of and some I haven't.  I have heard of Butter Tarts and they are sort of like Pecan Tassies but with raisins.  At my old job we had a married employed couple who would makes scads of Butter Tarts for Christmas and distribute them throughout our different locations.  When I started working from home they would save me some in the freezer so I could pick them up whenever I had to report in person.  Yum, yum.  Good memories.

Have a great Saturday evening everyone!

• Like 4

Kinda late checking in tonight, worked on a bunch of "end of summer" yard chores today, so just now getting to check out the daily!  The Nanaimo bars are great, but generally 2 bites and they are just too sweet to eat more...................but if you cut them into small pieces they are a nice treat.

Thank you everyone for all the nice comments, pictures, trivia, sharing that you do here.  Last night I told my husband that this site makes me smile and chuckle, a nice respite from so many things that are happening now.

Stay safe

Denise

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Oh I wish I could remember.  I've had this rose bush probably 15 years. It's about 6-7 feet tall and the blooms are very, very fragrant. 

Thanks for replying, it looks very attractive, fragrant Rose blooms are important for me.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, RubyCam said:

Thank you for your time and effort keeping us updated on the locations of the fleet. I loved your wine choice today. Several years ago I attended a wine tasting at the Epcot Food and Wine festival given by Mr Selbach who introduced 4 delicious Rieslings.  He was an excellent speaker and told interesting stories about the vineyards located on the steep banks of the Mosel River. I enjoyed it so much I returned the next year!

Welcome to the Daily, RubyCam.

Roy

• Like 4