Disney Cruise Suspension

brenderlou

4 minutes ago, Showme72 said:

How did we get 2 identical questions by the same person?

Anyway, I don't consider Disney to be a leader in the cruise industry (quite the opposite, in fact) and I certainly hope RCCI can find a way to open up ASAP.

? on your first question.

As for your statement about Disney, it's not about being a "leader".  It's about what will happen or not.  RCCL is not special and we shall see, but I still think there will be a lot of disappointed people who work off pure emotion and not common sense.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BND said:

LOL.  How about a little reality check?   You go ahead and live in that world of non-reality and get back to me when they don't allow cruising on Nov 1.  BTW, being "positive" won't make any difference.  I'm actually a very opitimistic person, but I'm also a realist and use common sense.

What exactly do public comments do in a medical emergency?  You can "feel" what you want, but it won't change the reality of the situation and a majority may want to cruise, but it doesn't mean it's safe or going to happen.

I totally agree that it is not likely to happen. 

I guess public comments are a sounding board to the government from us peasants telling them that we will either take our safety into our own hands or that we will would like them to continue to decide what is best for us and our families because we are incapable of self care. 

5 minutes ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I totally agree that it is not likely to happen. 

I guess public comments are a sounding board to the government from us peasants telling them that we will either take our safety into our own hands or that we will would like them to continue to decide what is best for us and our families because we are incapable of self care. 

Did you read the questions the CDC asked?  Most people would have no clue how to answer them anyway. The biggest issue for the cruise lines is liability, because even if people agree to certain conditions, etc and say they want to cruise and take the risk, will sue if they get sick.   There's so many puzzle pieces involved.  It's not just about "self-care" as it is about what do they do when people get sick and they have to cancel multiple ports, etc?  It's also about balancing the probability of infection and quarantine, etc.  It's a nightmare for the cruiselines and the CDC has to balance their job as a public health service and responsibilities that involves.  I just don't see cruising out of the US for quite a while.  NZ and Australia have already taken care of it for them and Canada is making it difficult.   This is a damned if you do and a damned if you don't scenario.  

Edited by BND

14 minutes ago, BND said:

BTW, here's what's on the Federal Register.  How is the public supposed to answer most of the questions?  My guess is most on here talking about the public input has no idea what that actually means.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/07/21/2020-15812/request-for-information-related-to-cruise-ship-planning-and-infrastructure-resumption-of-passenger?fbclid=IwAR1vmT7pwlxocBK41i4TCxvoLwp_SpXvfImrqnEJ4cBs0yERuvgpDWY8dfA

You do know that the public includes doctors, people who design filtrations systems, experts in crowd psychology and any number of other experts who can provide valuable input. 

Input from people who cruise a lot can provide valuable insight into how to structure solutions so that they  will fit in with normal shipboard expectations,

Perhaps you could provide your expertise on applying commonsense the challenges.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

I don't understand why the CDC is taking public comments on a health crisis.  It's the Center for Disease Control, not the let's take a poll site.  It won't start Nov 1.

They are taking public comments to appease people; I’d be willing to bet none of the comments are even looked at. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

You do know that the public includes doctors, people who design filtrations systems, experts in crowd psychology and any number of other experts who can provide valuable input. 

Input from people who cruise a lot can provide valuable insight into how to structure solutions so that they  will fit in with normal shipboard expectations,

Perhaps you could provide your expertise on applying commonsense the challenges.

I think you are giving the CDC and the public at large way too much credit.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BND said:

Did you read the questions the CDC asked?

When I read the questions, I personally felt like they were the answers that the cruise lines had to provide in their response to the CDC regarding their return to sailing. 

49 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

They are taking public comments to appease people; I’d be willing to bet none of the comments are even looked at. 

Probably right.

Reality Check... until there is a safe and effective vaccine available to all there will be no cruising.

2 hours ago, BND said:

BTW, here's what's on the Federal Register.  How is the public supposed to answer most of the questions?  My guess is most on here talking about the public input has no idea what that actually means.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/07/21/2020-15812/request-for-information-related-to-cruise-ship-planning-and-infrastructure-resumption-of-passenger?fbclid=IwAR1vmT7pwlxocBK41i4TCxvoLwp_SpXvfImrqnEJ4cBs0yERuvgpDWY8dfA

Understand, though it's nothing new. Years back when still working for US Govt and in Military we started sending out questionnaires to our "Customers" Looked very similar to this link. Was implemented part of the Team based Hiring, Evaluations, TQM

11 hours ago, Spurschick said:

I’m trying to remain optimistic. Disney is geared towards younger (children) whose families go for the Disney experience. Meet and greets, group activities etc. 

i think the the general type of cruisers this is geared to make Disney slightly harder to start back up.

Wishful thinking for sure..........2020 is a sure thing........Not starting back up this year.

8 hours ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

The cruise lines can't answer the questions, I don't think the general public who can't agree on mask or no mask would be the source that I would be tapping into.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

The cruise lines can't answer the questions, I don't think the general public who can't agree on mask or no mask would be the source that I would be tapping into.

I believe the cruise lines could address the questions but choose to ignore them to date. 

The CDC wants to know the cruise lines plan if they get CV19 cases onboard. What medical staff and facilities they plan to implement. Quarantine. The CDC suggested a cruise hospital ship. The CDC doesn’t want the cruise lines to dump off exposed, infected, or sick people into US Ports. 

M8

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Understand, though it's nothing new. Years back when still working for US Govt and in Military we started sending out questionnaires to our "Customers" Looked very similar to this link. Was implemented part of the Team based Hiring, Evaluations, TQM

Problem is people on here hear "public comments" and without even looking at the questions decide it means something it doesn't.  But, that said, the questions the CDC are asking are not for the general public.

12 hours ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

You do know that several on here have repeatedly talked about the public input without having one single clue what the questions are.  Did you even read the questions?  They are not geared towards the general public.  Perhaps you could come back after you can answer them all.

If they want Dr's, people who design filtrations sytems and experts in psychology they can reach out directly to those industries with what is called an RFI.  That's how it normally works,  I worked for 25 years for the Fed Gov and my DH is a retired US Navy  0-6 and currently is a Fed contractor.  The agencies we've worked for when looking for input put out requests to industry asking specific questions on sites accessible by people who are experts in the field.  They don't post them in the Federal Register and then ask for "public comment" on questions the general public can't answer. 

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

Disney has a lot of first time cruisers, a lot of which have probably been put off cruising for now. 

A lot of guests do a land and sea package, and most land packages aren't happening right right now. 

Disney also had an insane premium to just have a mouse onboard, and I think a lot of (even their dedicated) cruisers have realised that if they implement the same restrictions as in the parks, they're just getting a standard cruise: no meet and greets, no shows, no dance parties, no movie theater, no fireworks, reduced dining, questions around the kids club. 

I still think other cruise lines will cancel too though!

4 hours ago, GarlicBread said:

Disney has a lot of first time cruisers, a lot of which have probably been put off cruising for now. 

A lot of guests do a land and sea package, and most land packages aren't happening right right now. 

Disney also had an insane premium to just have a mouse onboard, and I think a lot of (even their dedicated) cruisers have realised that if they implement the same restrictions as in the parks, they're just getting a standard cruise: no meet and greets, no shows, no dance parties, no movie theater, no fireworks, reduced dining, questions around the kids club. 

I think some people would be surprised by how many first time cruisers are on other cruise lines, including RCI.  The whole premium Disney place on meet and greets on the ship is somewhat ridiculous considering how much they charge for the cruise itself.   One thing I do like about DIsney (never been on them but have read about and see reviews) is that their adults areas are really adult only areas and they enforce it.

6 hours ago, GarlicBread said:

Why no fireworks 🤔

Disney has been quite clear from early on that cruises will likely be the last of their business to restart.  Expect Disney to be far more cautious than other cruise lines when restarting.  They won't put the larger corporate brand at risk over an incident like what happened on Princess or HAL, the potential for damage is just too great.  Think of it this way: Royal Caribbean is a cruise company.  Carnival is a cruise company.  NCL is a cruise company.  Disney is an entertainment company that has a few cruise ships as a side business. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, darwinsrule said:

Disney has been quite clear from early on that cruises will likely be the last of their business to restart.  Expect Disney to be far more cautious than other cruise lines when restarting.  They won't put the larger corporate brand at risk over an incident like what happened on Princess or HAL, the potential for damage is just too great.  Think of it this way: Royal Caribbean is a cruise company.  Carnival is a cruise company.  NCL is a cruise company.  Disney is an entertainment company that has a few cruise ships as a side business. 

I agree. Disney started out as an animation motion picture company. The parks are a result of that. Merchandise Franchising and  licencing is another big business for them. They could dump the cruise line and the only ones who would notice would be the CC community. It's too much of a risk for them to start up too early especially when children are involved. 

12 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

People tend to gather in big groups in a fairly limited area to watch the fireworks on a Disney ship.

They do, and I never really realized how crowded that top deck gets. February was our 6th DCL cruise, and the first time I ever went to the fireworks.  Usually I would just socially distance from everyone on the balcony (you know before it was the 'cool thing' to do)

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Umm, just don't allow it. 😉

Disney is much more than a cruise line.

If one of its ships became a COVID hospital, it would affect all of its theme parks.  It's not a risk that makes sense for DIS.  They will be one of the last cruise lines to come back