The Daily for Thursday Oct 1, 2020

richwmn

Good morning!  Unfortunately I am not a coffee drinker and never have been one.  But wasn't it International Coffee Day two days ago?  I guess someone decided to differentiate between the two celebrations and celebrate twice in one week.  If you're a coffee lover, why not?

I am however a cookie lover and will eat almost any cookie out there.  I'm sure most people would consider my age elderly, but I like the idea mentioned above that elderly is always 10 years older than I am.  And I know I am young at heart!

Enjoy your first day of October.☺️

• Like 10

Good morning and thanks to all contributors to the Daily! Your comments, photos, poems ensure a wonderful day ahead for this (they say, not me) elderly, coffee-clutching reader, LOL!

There's definitely a Fall nip in the air here in Central Virginia, with clear skies. Such a beautiful time of year, isn't it?

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Himself said:

Thanks for the Daily Rich.  Has aneone ever heard of the drink called HOT PORT? I had one or afew when Iwas in Ireland a year and a half ago

Oh yes, but it would be November or so before it would be readily available in a bar.  October is still mild by our damp weather standards.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Father. I Googled this for you. Does it sound like what you had in Ireland?

Hot Port

Some recipes I have read suggest 1 part port to 3 parts hot water, but from my observations in Ireland, it seemed closer to a 1 to 1 ratio of port and water. Works for me. Feel free to find your perfect balance between the two.  Tip: warm up your mug with hot water before filling it with hot port to keep your drink warmer longer.

This recipe makes one glass of hot port, but can be easily doubled or tripled for a crowd (or if you really love the stuff!)

½ cup port
½ cup very hot water (as hot as you’d use for tea)
½ tablespoon honey
1 thick slice of lemon
1 tablespoon of whole cloves

Heat water in a tea kettle.  Pierce lemon slice with whole cloves.

Once hot, add water to a warm mug (see above tip), and stir in honey.

Add the port, and stir. Gently drop in the clove-studded lemon slice. Enjoy!

Here it would be served in a glass, (like hot whiskey) and demarara sugar instead of honey.  The ratio would be about 1 part port to 1.5 parts hot water.  Tip -  warm the glass with hot (not boiling) water and then place a metal tea spoon in the glass before pouring in the port and hot water. The spoon will conduct some of the heat away and lessen the chance of the glass cracking.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

How much damage was there from the storm yesterday?

Roy

it wasn’t too bad overall, Roy.  A lot of people without power (over 21,000) but it has mostly been all restored.  Tree branches fell on my neighbours’ cars 😞 

We just have small broken branches, a deck littered with leaves and dahlia petals.

Sadly some of the fall colour was lost as a lot of trees that had turned early lost their leaves.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Okay, so I just had to look this one up, and I don't think many are going to like this . . .

What age are you classed as elderly?
Generally, someone over the age of 65 might be considered an older person. However, it is not easy to apply a strict definition because people can biologically age at different rates so, for example, someone aged 75 may be healthier than someone aged 60.

In most industrialized Western nations, someone is considered a senior by the age of 65 or so. But remember: That number is based primarily on retirement age and the age at which social benefits kick in. Many people would not consider someone a senior until they're at least over the age of 70.

Age is just a number; some of us are lucky enough to have bigger numbers, that's all.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂
Gerry

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

In my haste to get DH out of the door for a trip to the family farm (1.5 hrs from here), I forgot to comment on the meal of the day - I love Jambalaya, but haven't had it on pasta.  I'd like to try it, but we'll be having leftover Harvest Chicken tonight.  And wine.

Yes, I know I've got a glass of red wine in my photo, but I couldn't justify opening a new box of Cardboardeaux just to have white wine with chicken.  LOL

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 7

Good morning, all!

Good to see you here, Leon 🙂  

I've always believed that elderly is 10 years older than whatever age I am, now I'm thinking maybe even 15 years older 😉  My Dad, who lived to be almost 102, didn't consider himself elderly until he reached 100.  I agree with Gerry, it's just a number!  

We're waiting for the plumber to get here, it's now 1 hour past the time we agreed on --- why is it that always happens??  I wondered when he said he could get here at 8:00.  🙄

Heavy fog here this morning, a sure sign of fall....

• Like 9

We are maturing, like fine wine!

Good morning all, and thanks to Rich and Roy for the Daily news, and all the other Dailyites for photos, recipes, cartoons, and everything that make this thread the go-to place for us!  I am procrastinating, thinking about what needs to be done, and what can wait until tomorrow, although I know this is not the day for that.  The gardeners are here, I can hear the lawn mowers going.  But I am not inspired to do much today.

@kazu, I never answered you yesterday - your TA does sound lovely.  I will be sending the itinerary to DH to see what he says.  I imagine that what our PCC was talking about was the conference coming up at the WH, to see what is decided between the Administration and the CDC and the cruise lines, if Dr. Redfield (?) doesn't resign in the meantime!  We are so hoping for a good vaccine.

• Like 8

One of my long-time cruise buddies and my "Maid" of Honor at my wedding told people for years that he was 48, and I finally said, "Bill, we all know you aren't 48!"  He said his mother who never aged had a great tidbit - you get to stay the age of your birthday year.  The only thing I didn't like about that is that I have to be 4 years older than he is. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

I never answered you yesterday - your TA does sound lovely.  I will be sending the itinerary to DH to see what he says.  I imagine that what our PCC was talking about was the conference coming up at the WH, to see what is decided between the Administration and the CDC and the cruise lines, if Dr. Redfield (?) doesn't resign in the meantime!  We are so hoping for a good vaccine.

No worries at all, Ann 😉 

I think the decision on what the CDC was doing was already made by the White House.  Of course, that doesn’t mean cruising is going to start up right away - especially in the current climate.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning!  Unfortunately I am not a coffee drinker and never have been one.  But wasn't it International Coffee Day two days ago?  I guess someone decided to differentiate between the two celebrations and celebrate twice in one week.  If you're a coffee lover, why not?

I am however a cookie lover and will eat almost any cookie out there.  I'm sure most people would consider my age elderly, but I like the idea mentioned above that elderly is always 10 years older than I am.  And I know I am young at heart!

Enjoy your first day of October.☺️

A few of us none coffee drinkers!  But We can have tea and  cookies! 

image.thumb.jpeg.8e3811f3fab48fe92d36fc3db7fe624e.jpeg

• Like 8

A surprise in the garden today - I found a couple of new dahlias coming late to the party.  One I thought was going to just be an offshoot of "Karma Chocolate" (the one on the right in the picture), but it is definitely very different..  The other new one is going to be yellow with white tips, I think.  It's not fully open, so I don't know if it is a pompom or other.

IMG_5230.thumb.jpeg.c51ef34909863174ab8b5c9746cc5d9c.jpeg

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning Father. I Googled this for you. Does it sound like what you had in Ireland?

Hot Port

Some recipes I have read suggest 1 part port to 3 parts hot water, but from my observations in Ireland, it seemed closer to a 1 to 1 ratio of port and water. Works for me. Feel free to find your perfect balance between the two.  Tip: warm up your mug with hot water before filling it with hot port to keep your drink warmer longer.

This recipe makes one glass of hot port, but can be easily doubled or tripled for a crowd (or if you really love the stuff!)

½ cup port
½ cup very hot water (as hot as you’d use for tea)
½ tablespoon honey
1 thick slice of lemon
1 tablespoon of whole cloves

Heat water in a tea kettle.  Pierce lemon slice with whole cloves.

Once hot, add water to a warm mug (see above tip), and stir in honey.

Add the port, and stir. Gently drop in the clove-studded lemon slice. Enjoy!

This as up in County Mayo about a half an hour South of Castlebar.  It was i/3 Port,2/3 Hot Water four cloves and a sprig of sugar.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

A surprise in the garden today - I found a couple of new dahlias coming late to the party.  One I thought was going to just be an offshoot of "Karma Chocolate" (the one on the right in the picture), but it is definitely very different..  The other new one is going to be yellow with white tips, I think.  It's not fully open, so I don't know if it is a pompom or other.

IMG_5230.thumb.jpeg.c51ef34909863174ab8b5c9746cc5d9c.jpeg

Wow! Just beautiful!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Oh yes, but it would be November or so before it would be readily available in a bar.  October is still mild by our damp weather standards.

Here it would be served in a glass, (like hot whiskey) and demarara sugar instead of honey.  The ratio would be about 1 part port to 1.5 parts hot water.  Tip -  warm the glass with hot (not boiling) water and then place a metal tea spoon in the glass before pouring in the port and hot water. The spoon will conduct some of the heat away and lessen the chance of the glass cracking.

VMax:  This the way I had it.  I first had in a bar a little South of Caslebar and I also got in Roscommon and in Galway City.

• Like 4