The Daily for Thursday Oct 1, 2020

richwmn

Oh my heavens folks, it’s also National Black Dog day!!!

E22F8075-716F-4697-901F-D34941C155A6.thumb.jpeg.3db33dbe261bc6c94fcf8f8fef3bb65a.jpeg

C0363D8E-A020-4594-BE7A-5189FABA7C97.thumb.png.788c4f799eaba501a953456ef02b3116.png

We can’t forget the black dogs.  They are the ones often left in shelters. 😞 

Sure they’re tough to photograph but they are great dogs and deserve a furever home.

My little Fox aka Silly Willy (RIP)

AF404CF5-CA10-48C7-A5A5-0B45DB329F91.thumb.jpeg.215bf50c2e96afb8047573f9c05f3795.jpeg

• Like 13

Good afternoon to all. Thanks to everyone who contributes and keeps this thread going. Not a coffee drinker at all, but I drink green tea by the potful! If I had the energy, I'd make some cookies. I really do need to make some for Thanksgiving, but I'm pooped today, so it will have to wait. Nice to have a day for the elderly, although the definition of elderly is unclear.  I don't consider myself elderly, and even need to remind myself that I am a senior.

Love the quote! (and the cartoon that followed)

The meal suggestion sounds nice, but I've already put my chicken into a General Tao marinade.

@fatcat04 your poem reminds me of the books of poems that we always had in the house. I can picture them, and even used them in my teaching in the 70's and 80's. I can't remember who published them, but the pictures were beautiful. . . . especially the fall editions.

Your harvest chicken looks delicious, @ger_77

@gigianne we missed the hail yesterday (south of the 401) although I know some in the city got it. The local paper (LFP) always refers to anyone in their 60's as elderly. I'm pretty sure that the term doesn't fit until at least 80 and I'm sure that that will change as I get closer.

@Vict0riann your dahlias are stunning.

@kazu and @Marmot@Sea thank you for sharing your special black dogs. ❤️

Prayers for those that need them!

Blessings to all!

Be well. Stay safe. Be kind. Wear your mask!

Edited by Dismomx5
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gigianne said:

Good morning.  Thanks everyone for contributing to keep us interested in returning every day to see what our CC friends are up to.  If DH had made cookies like he said he was going to, I would be eating right now with my cuppa tea.  When I was a youngster I thought that my 70 year old grandmother was old, at what age do we refer to someone as elderly?   Yesterday we went for a drive in the country, it was a treat to get outside of the city if only for a few hours and then mid afternoon this happened.

58BF4DC9-8594-413F-ABEE-B164DA9F8DFA.jpeg

Wow. What a contrast. We had 105 yesterday and predicted to go to 103 today. We’ve been advised to go easy on the electricity.

Decided to have another round with the band weed, so just resprayed again with vinegar, dawn and epsom salt mixture. I think it’s really killing off what has emerged, but that dang plant just keeps putting up more runners.😜 And our soil is so heavy that digging it out isn’t real practical.  

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

A surprise in the garden today - I found a couple of new dahlias coming late to the party.  One I thought was going to just be an offshoot of "Karma Chocolate" (the one on the right in the picture), but it is definitely very different..  The other new one is going to be yellow with white tips, I think.  It's not fully open, so I don't know if it is a pompom or other.

IMG_5230.thumb.jpeg.c51ef34909863174ab8b5c9746cc5d9c.jpeg

Beautiful colors!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kazu said:

We can’t forget the black dogs.  They are the ones often left in shelters. 😞 

Sure they’re tough to photograph but they are great dogs and deserve a furever home.

My little Fox aka Silly Willy (RIP)

Thanks for the reminder Jacqui!  I heard this on the radio this morning about black dogs left behind. 😢

Your Fox is a cutie!

• Like 4

Add me to the list of non coffee drinkers.  Tried it when I was in college (more cream and sugar with a little coffee), but could never acquire the taste for it.  I do drink what we in Texas call hot tea, but usually it is iced tea, which naturally we call just tea..  On cold mornings, nothing beats hot dark chocolate.  👍 😀  Count me in when it comes to fresh, home made cookies.

Elderly?  I’m still shocked when I remember my age as my mind still thinks I’m years younger.  Then, occasionally my body tries to remind me I’m not quite that young.

We can celebrate black dog day, if a black dog with white nose, chest and paws counts.  Molly is our grand dog and is part lab and we think part border collie.

Love the pictures of all the flowers.  I don’t have a green thumb, plus in normal years we are not home enough for a garden.  Instead, we have drought tolerant bushes and in the spring, bearded iris.  My main flowers are the blooms on the sage when it rains.

Lenda 

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
Added information.
  • Like 7

Picking up a discussion a few weeks back:

@TheKingD How do you like your ice cream machine?

May I ask which one you got?  I went to complete my purchase yesterday and Amazon is currently out of the model I was planning on getting (whynter 201sb). I chose that one thinking it might be direct drive ( due to the shape). Am now considering the 200LS.

Keeping the sleeve in the freezer is getting old and taking up space. And sometimes I get a “hard crust “ around the inside. Am looking for better, more consistent texture.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, kazu said:

No worries at all, Ann 😉 

I think the decision on what the CDC was doing was already made by the White House.  Of course, that doesn’t mean cruising is going to start up right away - especially in the current climate.

do you want the good news first?  We are now booked on your TA!  We didn’t have any FCDs left (I think there are still two somewhere from our cancelled Rotterdam cruise but Hal hasn’t done our refunds yet), so we had to do a regular deposit, but only half, as the Have It All promo includes half-price deposits, so that was good.  The Signature Beverage package will be good for all the time at sea, too.  

• Like 5

Good afternoon everyone!  

Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your list Roy. 

So much to talk about today!  I love Starbucks Pike Place roast but only have one cup a day. I drink it iced too. I had gotten an email from Starbucks that it was National Coffee Day so in honor I bought myself an iced coffee while at Safeway this morning. Mmmm, and for some reason it always tastes better when I buy it. 

Well, we broke our heat record. Officially as of yesterday we had 100 days of 100 or more degree temperatures this year. The record was 99 days in 1994. And we will surpass the new record!  Look at our forecast:  

A7394E54-B82E-4E76-B797-7015773C27EE.thumb.jpeg.a7fcc1dada6e9b9235ef98a50e73a501.jpeg

Whew!  

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon everyone!  

So much to talk about today!  I love Starbucks Pike Place roast but only have one cup a day. I drink it iced too. I had gotten an email from Starbucks that it was National Coffee Day so in honor I bought myself an iced coffee while at Safeway this morning. Mmmm, and for some reason it always tastes better when I buy it. 

Well, we broke our heat record. Officially as of yesterday we had 100 days of 100 or more degree temperatures this year. The record was 99 days in 1994. And we will surpass the new record!  Look at our forecast:  

A7394E54-B82E-4E76-B797-7015773C27EE.thumb.jpeg.a7fcc1dada6e9b9235ef98a50e73a501.jpeg

Whew!  

Bless you!   I couldn't do it...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Picking up a discussion a few weeks back:

@TheKingD How do you like your ice cream machine?

May I ask which one you got?  I went to complete my purchase yesterday and Amazon is currently out of the model I was planning on getting (whynter 201sb). I chose that one thinking it might be direct drive ( due to the shape). Am now considering the 200LS.

Keeping the sleeve in the freezer is getting old and taking up space. And sometimes I get a “hard crust “ around the inside. Am looking for better, more consistent texture.

TiogaCruiser, we got the Whynter201SB, and we are thrilled.  Its capacity is about twice what my old Cuisinart was, and I am still learning how to best use it, but two times an old recipe fills it too full, especially with add-ins.  I am old-school with recipes, and I started with traditional recipes with the egg yolks in the custard-based mixture, but then I tried a mint-chocolate chip recipe with sweetened condensed milk.  All are really good, and I was amazed at how much we all liked the easy recipe.  I also learned that if I go to the effort to make the cooked custard with the egg yolks, I make about 2 1/2 recipes, and since the machine doesn't require any "down time", I can just churn it in two batches in the machine back-to-back.

I know what you mean about a hard crust, and I have not had that at all.  The machine turns itself off when it knows it is ready, and I think it will then switch over to a "freeze" mode, but we are always ready to sample it, and might have some right away, but it is better if we put it in a container in the freezer for a little while, and it is really good the second day.

I know you were concerned about the space it takes up, and I keep mine in my pantry on the bottom shelf where I have enough space between shelves.  It is sort of heavy, maybe about as heavy as my KitchenAid stand mixer, but it is easy to set up.

I don't know what direct drive means so I can't advise about that - sorry.

We got ours from Amazon, and it came in about 3 really large boxes, all very well packed and exciting to open!  Some of the reviews mentioned being careful to keep it upright in shipping, and I have no idea if that is how ours came, but we set it up and used it within several hours, and we did not have any issues.

Good luck with your decision, and I look forward to a full report!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good afternoon everyone!  

Whew!  

Love Tucson!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

do you want the good news first?  We are now booked on your TA!  We didn’t have any FCDs left (I think there are still two somewhere from our cancelled Rotterdam cruise but Hal hasn’t done our refunds yet), so we had to do a regular deposit, but only half, as the Have It All promo includes half-price deposits, so that was good.  The Signature Beverage package will be good for all the time at sea, too.  

YIPPEE 🙂 

we couldn’t see you last Saturday but God willing we’ll see you onboard on the Zuiderdam.  Fantastic news.

Permit me to to do a little happy dance

C5850F45-4282-49F8-89D8-80C06BA65B63.gif.0bd9b3e33c619cc4169a4d8365845b1b.gif

• Like 5