Interesting Pics of The Aliga, Turkey Cruise Ship Scrap Yard

prescottbob

I have seen articles where those who like a nautical decor do quite well buying from the auctions that follow these strip downs.  I wish I could remember the place I saw it but the guy's house was gorgeous and it was all from the salvage

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Interesting to see the Carnival ships entering the scrap yard with their tenders still aboard.  I would have thought that they could be used on other ships, but maybe not.  

Newer ships have larger boats than the older ones do, and fiberglass boats have a limited lifespan, so you would not gain anything by reusing a lifeboat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kangforpres said:

Reminds me of an aircraft bone yard in the deserts. The planes we fly on and the ships we sail on all meet the same fate eventually.

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/victorvilleboneyard/

We love visiting those boneyards especially on our yearly trip to New Mexico.  I have a picture of John sitting in a Mercury capsule.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

We love visiting those boneyards especially on our yearly trip to New Mexico.  I have a picture of John sitting in a Mercury capsule.   

Davis-Monthan AFB near Tucson, AZ with the 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group is an interesting place to visit also

Aerial view of Davis-Monthan AFB AMARG in March 2015.JPG

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 2

It saddens me to know companies like Carnival putting so much effort in the past years to refurbish the older ship just to scrap them like that. It’s so unfortunate:-(

sea ya 

Eric

21 hours ago, kangforpres said:

I think I heard that the average life span of a cruise ship with a profitable line is about 40 years, I'm sure that average will be coming down due to the pandemic.

My understanding is that the ships are built with a 30 year expected life span.  No question, however, that some have long lasted more than 30 years!  Maybe the "winner" might be the  M.S. Stockholm of the 1950's who has been sailing under a variety of flags and names for so long.  Alas, who most recent owner has decided that her sailing days are over and she is likely to ended up at the breakers somewhere.  

Edited by rkacruiser

9 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My understanding is that the ships are built with a 30 year expected life span.  No question, however, that some have long lasted more than 30 years!  Maybe the "winner" might be the  M.S. Stockholm of the 1950's who has been sailing under a variety of flags and names for so long.  Alas, who most recent owner has decided that her sailing days are over and she is likely to ended up at the breakers somewhere.  

That is likely the mortgage term and so the financial lifecycle starts and ends there.  Ships can last for years and years.  They are often sold to smaller lines for a while but with the current surplus they are going straight to salvage.  I was once on a 1940s vintage ship on the upper Amazon.  It was a scary ride.  

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

11 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

That is likely the mortgage term and so the financial lifecycle starts and ends there.  Ships can last for years and years.  They are often sold to smaller lines for a while but with the current surplus they are going straight to salvage.  I was once on a 1940s vintage ship on the upper Amazon.  It was a scary ride.  

30 years is a typical "design life", but just like with other things, like cars, careful maintenance can extend the life almost indefinitely.  Typically, a ship's maintenance cost is exponential over time, and the "corner" where the costs start to rise dramatically is around 15 years.

• Like 2