Celebrity Ship = No Way

Ashland

Having been on many Celebrity cruises, starting with Meridian (1993), I cannot recall any that I would characterize as terrible.  Some were "less enjoyable" for one reason or another, but nothing that would keep us from repeating.  Cannot not say that about all the other cruise lines we have sailed with.

We have sailed on all of Celebrity's ships except those to the Galapagos, nor Edge or Apex. Cannot say any one class was more superior than the others -- although, there were many varied experiences, over the years.  Plan to give Apex or Edge a trial cruise next year (hopefully). 

Having three cruises cancelled this year has not been fun. 🙁  We are planning for probably three next year -- hopefully,  One of those may be Edge or Apex, depending upon timing/availability.

NRayH

• Like 3

The only ships we have not been on are Meridian, Edge and Apex.

More likely to sail Meridian than Edge or Apex.  Almost nothing on those ships appeal to us.  But with (currently) 9 other ships from which to choose, I think we'll do fine.

6 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

More likely to sail Meridian than Edge or Apex.  Almost nothing on those ships appeal to us.  But with (currently) 9 other ships from which to choose, I think we'll do fine.

6 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

You will definitely have many wonderful ships to choose from, however, Meridien will not be one of them, I think for the past 20 years perhaps.

27 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

You will definitely have many wonderful ships to choose from, however, Meridien will not be one of them, I think for the past 20 years perhaps.

21 and a half to be exact. May 21, 1999.  You can visit her here, although she will be badged the Sun Vista.  Somewhere around 100 fathoms.

image.thumb.png.0f135604c20c2fc4c36679758f4e76d8.png

• Like 2

On 10/14/2020 at 2:28 PM, LGW59 said:

The glass is always half full...though being totally honest, I did Carnival 2x, UGH on both, was not my thing.

We've done one Carnival cruise, a 3 night out of Long Beach.  My wife's company paid for the cruise, except for port taxes.  After we got off, we both agreed that we paid too much.  It wasn't our thing either.  If you're 25 and like to drink a lot, I imagine it would be a good time, but we're both well past that stage in our lives.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fsdorado said:

We've done one Carnival cruise, a 3 night out of Long Beach.  My wife's company paid for the cruise, except for port taxes.  After we got off, we both agreed that we paid too much.  It wasn't our thing either.  If you're 25 and like to drink a lot, I imagine it would be a good time, but we're both well past that stage in our lives.

LOL too funny!  "We both agreed that we paid too much", love the irony there!  Yes perhaps if I were 25 I might enjoy being at another "carnival"

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

Edge class. — no way for me.

Curious to know.  Is it because of reviews you have read, people you know who have already sailed on Edge?  Not judging in any way just wondering what formed your opinion?  I was on Edge in 2019, I loved it, even after having read many CC reviews.  I won't say that I was hesitant after seeing those reviews, but I will say I was MORE than very pleasantly surprised.  Supposed to be on Apex in May 2021...fingers crossed.  Fortunately Celebrity has so many ships to select from.  Well for now anyway, as someone on CC told all will in the next few years be Edged.

Have been on the Summit (pre refurb) ... LOVED IT.

Have been on the Reflection and Equinox ... LOVED them both.

Have been on the Edge ... LOVED IT.

So I guess the answer to your question is no ... the better ask might be which might a person like most or least, but as others have said I'd give anything to move past this nightmare and be on any of them right now!!

Edited by poffles
  • Like 2

On 10/15/2020 at 4:14 PM, fsdorado said:

Our first cruise back in the 1990's was on the Carnival Fascination from Puerto Rico (It was a free cruise too) and we decided the same thing that there had to something better than a ship full of people eating and drinking 24/7.

Edited by terrydtx

5 hours ago, terrydtx said:

Love M class Aqua on deck 11 with aft facing cabins. But we are looking forward to a  possible cruise on Edge or Apex. We have 2 cruises booked next year on the Infinity in Aqua Class.

We have Summit booked in June for Bermuda in an aft AQ and are VERY MUCH looking forward to the experience.  We have sailed Edge and likely will not again sail that class as we didn't enjoy the IV.  As we are AQ mariners there's no way around it.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 2:35 PM, drsel said:

Celebrity is the best 5 star cruise line and you should go for it if you can afford it.
Because after Covid it has become really expensive.

Princess is also good in the five star category and is much cheaper right now.

I have to disagree on your ratings, none of the mainstream cruise lines are 5 star. You want 5 star you need to sail on lines like Seabourn, Crystal and Hapag-Lloyd, their Europa and Europa 2 are both rated at 5.5 stars. There are only 3 more ships in the world that are rated 5 stars and all belong to Siverseas Cruise Line.

As far as the mainstream lines go, Celebrity is the best, We've sailed with Princess 20 times and are Elite status and believe me, Princess is not anywhere close to Celebrity, most of their ships are rated at 3.5 stars. They have gone downhill in recent years with their food budget decreasing along with other cost cutting measures. I would rate Holland America who we have sailed with 22 times, close second to Celebrity, very classy and  clean ships with outstanding service.

BTW, the star ratings are from the Berlitz Cruising and Cruise Ship annual publication by Douglas Ward but I agree with his ratings and purchase his updated book every year.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 2

On 10/14/2020 at 1:15 PM, 1025cruise said:

In all honesty, my preference would to be not to sail on Edge or Apex. I don't like ships that big.

The Edge and Apex are not that much larger than the Equinox and her sisters and only about 100 more passengers.

Edge class is a 'rather not' for us.  Don't care for the infinite veranda, and there are various elements of the layout that don't seem to flow with us.  Doesn't stop us from going on it, but it has to be a much better deal than an M or S class. 

1 hour ago, marieps said:

We have Summit booked in June for Bermuda in an aft AQ and are VERY MUCH looking forward to the experience.  We have sailed Edge and likely will not again sail that class as we didn't enjoy the IV.  As we are AQ mariners there's no way around it.

We were in #1140 this time last year (Canada/New England).  Loved it but the flag got in the way of some of our pictures.  Enjoy your cruise.  Sailing away from Bermuda should be amazing for you.

Edge class is problematic when full. Too much crowding in hallways, inadequate elevator capacity, restaurant tables too close together...of course that is viewing it from our trip in (obviously) pre Covid era. Edge class ships will be especially difficult to adapt for sailing in the new Covid world.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:35 PM, drsel said:

Celebrity is the best 5 star cruise line and you should go for it if you can afford it.
Because after Covid it has become really expensive.

Princess is also good in the five star category and is much cheaper right now.

With respect but neither X nor Princess are “5 star”  cruise lines. They are both  premium mainstream, just like HAL.

The Class system onboard X vessels actually degrades the experience.

Edited by Despegue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TeaBag said:

We were in #1140 this time last year (Canada/New England).  Loved it but the flag got in the way of some of our pictures.  Enjoy your cruise.  Sailing away from Bermuda should be amazing for you.

Thanks for your kind wishes.  We;re in 1141!

16 minutes ago, Despegue said:

With respect but neither X nor Princess are “5 star”  cruise lines. They are both  premium mainstream, just like HAL.

The Class system onboard X vessels actually degrades the experience.

With respect, CC allows for a cruiser to rate on a 1 to 5 rating, so the OP feels X is a 5 star ship, as do I.  HAL and Princess to me are 4, though I only cruise on X now.  Carnival IMO and it is my opinion, is a 1 and is very aptly named.

2 hours ago, marieps said:

We did the Summit to Bermuda in 2016 in aft AQ cabin 1138.  We lucked out and didn't face another ship because we were docked bow to bow.  Great view!  I hope yours has the same docking.

The pigeon is Pina Colada who hiched a ride on our balcony the entire way over.  She'd drop down to the aft bar for snacks then back to our balcony.

Bermuda Panoramic.jpg

Pina Colada enjoying the view.JPG

Sunset heading into Bermuda w Pina R.jpg

Edited by ChucktownSteve

7 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

With respect, CC allows for a cruiser to rate on a 1 to 5 rating, so the OP feels X is a 5 star ship, as do I.  HAL and Princess to me are 4, though I only cruise on X now.  Carnival IMO and it is my opinion, is a 1 and is very aptly named.

Then you should say MY 5 starred cruise lines, and not THE 5 star cruise lines.

Even I as a non-native speaker know that.

5 minutes ago, ChucktownSteve said:

We did the Summit to Bermuda in 2016 with an aft AQ cabin.  We lucked out and didn't face another ship because we were docked bow to bow.  Great view!  I hope yours has the same docking.

The pigeon is Pina Colada who hiched a ride on our balcony the entire way over.  She'd drop down to the aft bar for snacks then back to our balcony.

Bermuda Panoramic.jpg

Pina Colada enjoying the view.JPG

Sunset heading into Bermuda w Pina R.jpg

Unfortunately the privacy afforded by the canvas over the aft bar is not there any longer.  It's been replace by narrow wood strips affectionately referred to as "bacon strips"

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Despegue said:

Then you should say MY 5 starred cruise lines, and not THE 5 star cruise lines.

Even I as a non-native speaker know that.

No I should rate it as I want to rate it and using CC options I rate it as a FULL FIVE STAR line!

• Like 1