Royal Caribbean May Need Volunteers for Trial Cruises

On 11/5/2020 at 11:59 AM, Biker19 said:

Who says the ship will go anywhere? They could do a lot of the testing of process at the pier. Quantum is spending a lot of time docked.

o.k., fair enough, but then there would still be no guarantee that you could debark the ship when you expected.  One positive case and you could be quarantined.

On 11/4/2020 at 6:50 PM, A&L_Ont said:

I thought they were to be Travel Agents and RC employees for the trial cruises.🤷‍♂️

I read (or rather I was read to🙂) that the volunteers were to be from among the crew members and employees, no cruise line passengers.

16 hours ago, Arzeena said:

I read (or rather I was read to🙂) that the volunteers were to be from among the crew members and employees, no cruise line passengers.

And yet there was a report this morning on our local network that more than 200 people have already volunteered. Apparently there are some real addicts out there that are emailing RCL asking to play Royal roulette.😷

• Haha 1

This story has gotten a lot of traction in the media, I've had 2 friends who don't cruise egging me on to volunteer. Since I have a "free" gambling cruise on RCI in June I'm not really eager to be a Guinee pig.

But if I lived in a port city where they are going to be "practicing" I would sign-up for it.

• Like 1

We would go on a mock cruise. It will be the cleanest, safest cruise operating in the next year.... unless someone brings COVID onboard. But, I suppose that pre-existing conditions and age would exclude us from the guest list. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 6:53 PM, Domino D said:

Not a big believer in volunteering.  I'm sure there will be plenty of travel agents and vloggers who will jump in gladly. 

I would go in a heartbeat.  I emailed Vicki and told her I would gladly volunteer!!

Edited by karena1

31 minutes ago, Heymarco said:

This popular blogger confirmed that Royal Carribean will only be doing test cruises with employees starting out, no need to reach out to them at all.

https://*****.com/y564kpl7

Given everything listed in the CDC guidance, I'm not surprised.  Thanks for the link.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/CDC-Conditional-Sail-Order_10_30_2020-p.pdf

3 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Well since almost no ships have sailed in 8 months, no one can really know that.

If you compare COVID numbers on ships in Europe, where they have sailed for the past 3 months, to numbers on land, one can sorta say cruising is safer than being on land.

On 11/10/2020 at 12:04 AM, BirdTravels said:

We would go on a mock cruise. It will be the cleanest, safest cruise operating in the next year.... unless someone brings COVID onboard. But, I suppose that pre-existing conditions and age would exclude us from the guest list. 

The danger of cruising during a pandemic has very little to do with how clean the cruise ship is, and everything to do with close contact with other passengers who have come from heaven knows where,  most likely fresh off airplanes with hundreds of other people - who have also come from heaven knows where and been exposed to heaven knows what.

Contracting Covid from a contaminated surface is relatively rare (if even possible?) when compared to contracting it from another human being.

So "clean, sanitized ships" may sound good from a marketing perspective (and it certainly doesn't hurt), but that doesn't go far in terms of preventing virus contraction and spreading.  People should not lull themselves into a false sense of protection from Covid because cruise ships are clean.  It's almost irrelevant. The ship itself is not the danger and never was.  It's the passengers that are the issue (and they are much more difficult to control.)

• Like 3

On 11/10/2020 at 12:04 AM, BirdTravels said:

Isn't that the entire reason, in a nut shell, that the entire industry got shut down. It had nothing to do with dirty ships.

BTW, the Sea Dream, the first Caribbean cruise to occur since the shutdown, has a case on board. The ship in back in Barbados and everyone is quarantined in their cabins.

• Like 1