New vaccine

hollyjess

20 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Flu vaccine effectiveness 20_21 2.png

The average is 40-60%. It is very unusual to be 40% or less, which is when a late strain sneaks out late or the the WHO and their collaborators get it wrong. I have been having the flu jab for over 40 years as I have Asthma and have not had the flu during that time. Whether I would have had the flu without the vaccine, we will never know. On odd occasions I have paid for it at Asda because I could get it sooner than the doctors. As to the real effectiveness of the Covid vaccine we will have to wait and see, but even at 40% I would take it.

33 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

There is a school of thought that those who choose not to have the vaccine should not be allowed to travel.

I can see cruise companies requiring a vaccination. Their ship, their rules. If I owned a big, expensive ship, I wouldn't let germy folk on it🤣

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

You clearly have not read the post above yours.

The trouble is, there's too much information flying around, much of it conflicting.

A few weeks ago, the vaccine was for over 50's only, and a priority list had been drawn up.

Now, apparently Hancock says every one can have it by February March ? (incidentally that's not what I saw in the news, the report I'm aware of said 'April')

I'm sure the reports will change again by tomorrow.

I think they will have to have some sort of plan for prioritising, just for logistical reasons.  

I have been having the jab for 10 years or more, not had flu yet.  Mind you, I was chatting about this with a friend who was also cabin crew and I think our immune systems were very strong, as we never went down with colds or flu when I was flying in all the 16 years.  All those bugs made us strong!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jeanlyon said:

I have been having the jab for 10 years or more, not had flu yet.  Mind you, I was chatting about this with a friend who was also cabin crew and I think our immune systems were very strong, as we never went down with colds or flu when I was flying in all the 16 years.  All those bugs made us strong!

Lot of sense in what you are saying, I spent years in the RN and coughs, colds and flu were rare onboard.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I can see cruise companies requiring a vaccination. Their ship, their rules. If I owned a big, expensive ship, I wouldn't let germy folk on it🤣

I’m not sure that they will. The vaccine will not be administered to those under 18 for example as it was not designed for them. That would rule out all families, a big chunk of their market.

Also the effect of the vaccine is not clear, while it may protect you from suffering symptoms there is no guarantee you can’t still be a carrier and spread it on.

Who knows.

• Like 1

Exactly - who knows!!  There are a lot of folk who are immune suppressed and it would be very unfair if they couldn't go on holiday because they can't have a jab.  All sorts of questions to be answered and far too early.  Staff are a different matter.  I had to have certain jabs when flying and I was supposed to take anti-malarials, but never did as I would have had to take them 365 days a year and wasn't going to do that.

If P and O or other cruise companies state that you need a vaccine to get onboard I am sure it will be similar to other vaccines e.g Yellow Fever where you can produce a certificate from the doctor to state that you can't have one for medical reasons.I doubt if P and O will make it mandatory but I don't mind if they do as it will lessen the risk to those onboard.There will be some who say its an individuals choice whether or not to have the vaccine and unfair for companies to insist on having it but there are other companies and types of holidays Anything to lessen catching covid is a help

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Exactly - who knows!!  There are a lot of folk who are immune suppressed and it would be very unfair if they couldn't go on holiday because they can't have a jab.  All sorts of questions to be answered and far too early.  Staff are a different matter.  I had to have certain jabs when flying and I was supposed to take anti-malarials, but never did as I would have had to take them 365 days a year and wasn't going to do that.

On another site, the one we cannot mention, the Sun [well if it's in the the Sun , it must be true!!!!!] are running a story that Qantas are requiring passengers to take the vaccine before being allowed to fly .

Of course, the vaccines are not even been reviewed for safety yet and when they do things might/will change, but an official of a cruise line might have a glimmer of an idea reading that type of story........  if they haven't already, just a thought. Cant post link as it may break rules??? 

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Also, I cannot imagine cruise lines or other travel companies making it mandatory to have a vaccination.  Some people can't have a vaccination, others may choose not to.

I think it should be mandatory, if I have done the best I can to reduce the risk of dying from it i have doubts about sharing a ship with thousands of young folks or anti vaxers. Of course if P&O don't want my business that is their problem. Saga might well become  my cruise line of choice.

Once the whole world, or the cruising bits of it including destinations, are vaccinated things might well be different.

• Like 3

The other thing to remember is that, so far,we are discussing only 3 varieties of vaccine, many more in development and those maybe the ones to help the immunosuppressed. Therefore ,it will only be the anti vaxxers that won't have it .Eventually I think the young will get it as well, or ifnot the take up will be so good  that herd immunity is developed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

The other thing to remember is that, so far,we are discussing only 3 varieties of vaccine, many more in development and those maybe the ones to help the immunosuppressed. Therefore ,it will only be the anti vaxxers that won't have it .Eventually I think the young will get it as well, or ifnot the take up will be so good  that herd immunity is developed. 

I believe the immunosuppressed with be offered antibody jabs.

• Like 1

There has just been a question in Parliament about vaccination stamps in passports. Apparently there are a number of things being considered and an announcement from the transport minister will follow   (No date given for this).

Edited by Eglesbrech
To add. “No date given for this”
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

I’m not sure that they will. The vaccine will not be administered to those under 18 for example as it was not designed for them. That would rule out all families, a big chunk of their market.

Also the effect of the vaccine is not clear, while it may protect you from suffering symptoms there is no guarantee you can’t still be a carrier and spread it on.

Who knows.

Quite right, nobody really knows. If under 18's are not allowed on board, we could get some decent prices in August though🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

There has just been a question in Parliament about vaccination stamps in passports. Apparently there are a number of things being considered and an announcement from the transport minister will follow   (No date given for this).

Sounds like a good idea to me.  Take your passport with you when you attend for your jab, jab in one arm, hold passport with other hand for stamping.  Two jabs, two stamps, job done.  If you don't have a passport, pop along to the surgery when you do have it, and two stamps added.

Why don't they do this for other vaccinations like Yellow Fever?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Sounds like a good idea to me.  Take your passport with you when you attend for your jab, jab in one arm, hold passport with other hand for stamping.  Two jabs, two stamps, job done.  If you don't have a passport, pop along to the surgery when you do have it, and two stamps added.

Why don't they do this for other vaccinations like Yellow Fever?

That’s the best option but the hierarchy will want a more difficult way.

Just now, Snow Hill said:

Risk of fake passport stamps, so unlikely to be an option. 

Plus, if as seems likely, you require two injections,  possibly annually, it's going to be very difficult for authorities to check to see if you have the "current" stamps. 

I would have thought the way to go would be the old  yellow fever certificate route, possibly an on line document that you could print out. If Dido Harding was put in charge of the process,  it would be a quick and easy  solution, privacy as world beating as the UK track and trace arrangements. 

• Like 1